Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cleveland newspaper hit with criticism for its coverage of the murder of a transgender woman

Its original article posted online said "Oddly dressed man" and referred to the victim, 20 year old Cernia Acoff, as "it."

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

The paper's non-apology, posted today.

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 205/05/2013

The writer referred to the body as "it." I've read enough news articles and watched enough local news to know that a body is often identified as "the male victim," or the "female victim." If the gender of the body is not yet identified, the reporter would simply state 'the body of the victim' or just 'the body' ... will be transported to the coroner's office."

I don't think I've ever read or heard a reporter actually use "it" to describe a corpse.

by Anonymousreply 305/05/2013

That's the most offensive thing, R3. The original articles/posts highlighted the "oddity" of the body's condition.

It's just...not right.

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

You know, I can understand the difficulty in describing the male corpse of a homicide victim who identified as a woman. It's a reporter's job to report the facts, and the fact is, the body found in the pond was a male body regardless of its occupant's gender identity in life. That reporter was bound to piss off *somebody* no matter how hard he tried not to.

However, he could have tried a whole lot harder than he did in referring to the body as an IT, and headlining his article "Oddly dressed Body Found in Pond." Nothing wrong with simply, "Body Found in Pond," and the reporter could have reported the facts as to the garments found on the body without offering the judgment that they were odd. And really, using male pronouns throughout the article would have been preferable to using "it"; explaining that the body was the physically male body of a transgender woman and then proceeding to use female pronouns would have been even better (even though it still might have pissed off some trans people) and really not such a hard solution to arrive at.

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

This is why we need a word that can be used for anyone, instead of being stuck with clumsy descriptions like "he/she" or "they" when it's not plural.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

[quote]You know, I can understand the difficulty in describing the male corpse of a homicide victim who identified as a woman.

This would be a good time for an organization like the Associated Press to create an AP Stylebook as a reference for professional journalists. That way journalists wouldn't have to struggle so with pronouns.

Oh wait, the AP Stylebook has been around for 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.