Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Limo fire kills 5 women.

What a horrible way to die. Out for a night of fun in a big limo and die on a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 12505/12/2013

I seriously misread this thread title as "Lmao fire kills 5 women."

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2013

This story should be interesting. How does this happen unless something suspicious was going on?

by Anonymousreply 205/05/2013

mhb earned a Ph.D. so he could become a limo driver? He escaped!

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

You just know every single one of them were donning "wacky" feather boas and/or tiaras and on their way to (or returning from) a gay club.

And yes, very sad and tragic indeed.

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013

Limos don't generally burst into flames do they? With all those doors, why couldn't they escape? Something is missing here.

by Anonymousreply 905/05/2013

Aren't yall who respond to cases like these worried about karma?

by Anonymousreply 1305/05/2013

[quote] Limos don't generally burst into flames do they? With all those doors, why couldn't they escape? Something is missing here.

take a look at the picture of the limo. There are four doors in a stretch limo. Two are up front where the driver is and two doors are in the back near the trunk. The trunk is what caught fire

by Anonymousreply 1405/05/2013

Isn't there also a sunroof?

by Anonymousreply 1505/05/2013

Stretch limos can have a long span before the doors.

The final conclusion will be passenger stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 1805/05/2013

Something tells me drug use will be involved.

by Anonymousreply 1905/05/2013

It seems like one of those deaths from a Six Feet Under pre-credit sequence. Only much worse and much more unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 2005/05/2013

Me too R11.

by Anonymousreply 2105/05/2013

Ok, is it me but why just 4 doors (2 upfront) on a stretch limo? That doesn't make sense.

Also why did the trunk catch on fire? What was in the trunk?

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013

R23, fewer doors means longer bench seats, and possibly a bar and/or entertainment center.

by Anonymousreply 2505/05/2013

If you look at the one or two pictures out there of the car in flames, you'll note the back end of the limo seems unusually low to the ground.

I suspect the car was overloaded, which may have caused something to damage the fuel line or gas tank resulting in a gas leak; at which point, it just took a spark to set off a flash fire which came up and around the bottom of the car and the doors, blocking the exit.

by Anonymousreply 2705/05/2013

Far from it, JUst read report on SF Examiner site, they were phillipinos. One was a new bride, and it was a shower for her. She died.

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013

Yeah, I think there were nine ladies in there plus the driver. If The ladies were heavyset and each person weighed 200 lbs. you're looking at too much weight. 2000 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 3005/05/2013

I just read on newspaper site that limos that long tend to "bottom out" through use more quickly than the average vehicle (which makes sense) and makes the fuel tank vulnerable. The passengers in the back were sitting on a full tank of gas probably.

I love how this went from "they must have been cooking meth doing/something suspicious in the car" to "it must have been their combined weight that killed them" once you found out the were Filipinos. Typical dearth of logic on DL. Regardless, you all want to believe the fraus bring death and destruction on themselves and anything associated with them.

by Anonymousreply 3105/05/2013

So someone stood there and took pictures instead of running over and opening the door?

At that point just the trunk is on fire. What assholes.

by Anonymousreply 3305/05/2013

I think it's ridiculous there was just one small door (probably on both sides) over the wheel well, which is also where the gas tank is. Four people got out, which means the difficulty was exiting the vehicle, not that they panicked. Sparks from a loose tailpipe (as I recall the San Mateo bridge has noise bumps every few yards) probably ignited the gas tank.

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013

They should have smashed out the windows.

by Anonymousreply 3505/05/2013

The responses on this thread are really disgusting. Would you post them if your real name and photo were next to your heartless, unfunny response? Don't think so. Truly disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 3705/05/2013

[quote] Maybe it was caused by early Santa Ana winds. The bride will now save some money with 5 less guests.

R24 - The bride died. Her family will now be spending their money on her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 3805/05/2013

[quote] Yeah, I think there were nine ladies in there plus the driver. If The ladies were heavyset and each person weighed 200 lbs. you're looking at too much weight. 2000 lbs.

They were Filipinas. They are all tiny.

by Anonymousreply 3905/05/2013

A guy who owned an auto welding shop once told me he'd never ride in a stretch limo because they're dangerous. Apparently stretch limos aren't actually built that way, they're normal-sized vehicles that have been taken apart and had extra sections welded onto them. That makes them vulnerable to breaking apart during collisions. I'm guessing this sagging phenomenon must be another issue.

by Anonymousreply 4005/05/2013

If it's been welded improperly, could it sag?

by Anonymousreply 4105/05/2013

Once I was in this sketchy limo for an event and the driver basically locked us in the car so we couldn't get out. I don't know if it was for a safety reason or what, but I was kind of scared. I wonder if it was similar in this case that they were locked in the car and couldn't get out.

by Anonymousreply 4205/05/2013

Filipinas can be chubby but not super obese. They're short, so 150 lbs make them look really large.

by Anonymousreply 4305/05/2013

Damn! This is my fear come true. I'm always scared that my car will suddenly burst into flames, either at the instant I switch on the ignition or while driving down the freeway. Intellectually I thought it was irrational and that it was just my emotions, but now I'm gonna be worried driving tomorrow. :-/

by Anonymousreply 4405/05/2013

Until I looked up a picture of a limo, I thought they were lined with doors on both sides. Nope. The "traditional" limo pic I found looks like this.

by Anonymousreply 4505/05/2013

I don't think they were doing drugs in there, they're Filipinos, not a big meth/drug group. Heavily into god & Catholicism, I mean HEAVILY.

OTOH, the lack of doors in a limo is really bad. So I'm hoping the CA legislature does something about it.

by Anonymousreply 4905/05/2013

Lots of people in the Philippines use meth.

by Anonymousreply 5205/05/2013

I AM lmao at R1!

by Anonymousreply 5405/05/2013

Someone's race has nothing to do with what weight they can be. Anyone can be super skinny or morbidly obese.

This is one of the most racist conversations I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2013

That's the world we live in, R33. Many people would stand there and take pictures/videos of a child abduction with the hopes of getting it on the local evening news, or even better a million YouTube hits.

by Anonymousreply 6005/05/2013

r24 the bride was one of the dead women

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2013

Samoans tend to be on the hefty side. I don't think I've ever seen a thin Samoan. Inuits are also pretty fat.

by Anonymousreply 6305/05/2013

[quote]Five women, including a new bride, were killed late Saturday when fire engulfed a stretch limousine carrying them to a party on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge over the San Francisco Bay, police said.

It is a pity that editors apparently no longer exist. Did anyone else notice the horrid sentence structure that began the article? I believe it is safe to assume -- despite what the authors wrote -- that the party was not on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge. But rather:

[quote]Five women, including a new bride, were killed late Saturday on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge over the San Francisco Bay when fire engulfed a stretch limousine carrying them to a party, police said.

by Anonymousreply 6405/05/2013

[quote]The responses on this thread are really disgusting. Would you post them if your real name and photo were next to your heartless, unfunny response? Don't think so. Truly disgraceful.

That's why I think we should use Facebook Connect like other message boards where your full name and photo appears. And your message also appears in your friends newsfeeds.

by Anonymousreply 6505/05/2013

They don't know what the women died from yet.

Four other occupants escaped with injuries including burns or smoke inhalation, California Highway Patrol Officer Art Montiel said. The driver escaped unharmed.

Montiel said the women, all in their 30s and 40s, were "probably killed by the fire,” but the cause of death was not immediately clear.

by Anonymousreply 6605/05/2013

It was not a bride-to-be. She was already married.

Among those who perished was 31-year-old Neriza Fojas, for whom the bridal shower was being thrown, the San Fransico Chronicle reported. Fojas was recently married in the United States but was planning to travel to her native Philippines to hold a ceremony in front of family next month.

by Anonymousreply 6705/05/2013

Speculation is leaked fuel line due to the intense conflagration.

by Anonymousreply 6905/05/2013

How does a fuel line leak?

by Anonymousreply 7005/05/2013

Limo company downgraded on Yelp from 4 stars to 2.

by Anonymousreply 7105/05/2013

[quote]The bride was Fillipino. Asians are not known for their charity.

For chrissakes, they were Filipinos not fucking Koreans. Filipinos are usually a friendly, charitable lot. Don't assume all Asians are the same.

by Anonymousreply 7205/05/2013

More:

by Anonymousreply 7305/05/2013

The women who survived are all in their 30s and 40s.

by Anonymousreply 7605/06/2013

I don't understand why they couldn't just open the doors and get out?

by Anonymousreply 7705/06/2013

R77, there was only 1 door to the passenger cabin, which was by the rear wheel where the fire was. Three of the ladies managed to escape through this door, but suffered burns. Another woman escaped by climbing through the divider window that separated the passenger cabin from the driver cabin. The five women who perished were found close to this divider, so it appears they were trying to escape via this route, but were overtaken by the either smoke or the flames.

by Anonymousreply 7805/06/2013

Oh, Smitty! You always tell the funniest stories!

by Anonymousreply 7905/06/2013

Another bridal party death as woman falls from bus in Kansas

By Kevin Murphy; KANSAS CITY, KANSAS | Mon May 6, 2013 1:03pm EDT

KANSAS CITY, Kansas (Reuters) - A woman fell out of a bachelorette party bus onto a busy freeway in Kansas and died when she was struck by at least three vehicles on Saturday, the same night five women in a bridal party reportedly died in California when their limousine caught fire.

Jamie N. Frecks, 26, tumbled onto the highway and was struck by at least three other vehicles, Kansas Highway patrol spokesman Howard Dickinson said Monday. Frecks, one of 17 women on the bus, fell into the path of traffic on Saturday night, said a patrol report. The bride-to-be also was on the bus.

"It's just a bad situation," Dickinson said. "When anything falls out of a truck or a bus, whether it's a body or a roll of carpet, it's very hard to avoid, especially at night."

The accident in the Kansas City metropolitan area happened on the same night as media reported that five women in California in a bridal party died when their limousine caught fire. The bride was among those killed, the California media said.

Two of the cars that struck Frecks did not stop, according to the patrol report. Police are looking for the drivers of those vehicles as part of the investigation, Dickinson said.

Police have impounded the bus, Dickinson said. The 17-passenger bus has a side door near the rear that Frecks fell out of for unknown reasons, Dickinson said.

None of the women in the bus wore seat belts, but that is not required by law, Dickinson said. The driver of the bus was wearing a seatbelt, according to the report.

by Anonymousreply 8305/06/2013

Driver in fatal limo fire confused by ‘smoke’ warning from passengers

By: John S. Marshall The Associated Press, Published on Mon May 06 2013

SAN FRANCISCO — Investigators are trying to determine why a stretch limousine burst into flames on a San Francisco Bay bridge and trap five of the nine women inside on a girls’ night out, including a newlywed bride.

It happened late Saturday night as the Lincoln Town Car crossed the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge on the south end of the bay.

One of the women complained to driver Orville Brown about smoke, and by the time he pulled over and got out, the back of the limo was engulfed. The bride and eight friends were still inside.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the 46-year-old driver was confused when one of the women knocked on the partition and complained of smelling smoke.

“They had the music up in the back, and I figured she was asking, 'Can I smoke?'” Brown told the Chronicle. “I said, 'The owner doesn’t allow smoking in the car, and we only have four minutes to the destination.’”

It was just after 10 p.m. on the San Mateo Bridge. Less than 15 seconds passed before the women knocked again, Brown said.

This time, when he rolled down the partition, they were shouting, “Smoke, smoke!” and “Pull over, pull over!”

Passersby quickly pulled three to safety, though two were in critical condition Monday. One woman managed to squeeze through the partition between the passenger section and the driver's compartment, Brown told authorities.

But five others, including the bride whose marriage they were celebrating, became trapped.

The five were found dead as firefighters doused the vehicle — all huddled near the partition, apparently unable to squeeze through.

“My guess would be they were trying to get away from the fire and use that window opening as an escape route,” said San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault, who also relayed some of the comments the driver made to investigators.

The San Mateo Fire Department was looking into the cause of the fire, while the coroner's office was working with the California Highway Patrol to determine if anything criminal occurred.

“We don't believe there” was, Foucrault said.

Relatives told the San Francisco Chronicle and the San Jose Mercury News that one of the dead was Neriza Fojas, 31, a registered nurse from Fresno who recently wed and was planning to travel to her native Philippines to hold another ceremony before family. Her friends in the limousine were fellow nurses.

Brown, 46, of San Jose, told investigators he picked the women up in Oakland and was taking them across the bridge to the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Foster City. Fojas' sister, Rosalyn Bersamin, told the Chronicle that after a night out on the town, Fojas and her friends were heading to the hotel to party with her new husband.

“She was a hard worker, a loving sister,” a sobbing Bersamin said.

Aerial video shot after the fire showed about one-third of the back half of the limousine had been scorched. Its taillights and bumper were gone and it appeared to be resting on its rims, but the remainder of the vehicle didn't appear to be damaged.

A photo taken by a witness and broadcast on KTVU-TV showed flames shooting from the back of the limo.

Brown's brother told the Chronicle the flames spread before he could help all the women escape.

“He told me, 'Man, it was so fast.' He said, 'I've never seen anything like it in my life.'“

“He kept saying, 'I should have done more, I should have done more,” he added.

The brother said that Brown is an experienced commercial driver who has operated big rigs and moving trucks and has a clean record.

Medical examiners will identify the victims by using dental records. Foucrault said the autopsies will include toxicology tests, as well as examinations into whether any accelerant such as alcohol or gasoline was found on the bodies.

[more...]

by Anonymousreply 8805/06/2013

[...continued]

The CHP said the four other women who escaped the fire were being treated at nearby hospitals for burns and smoke inhalation: Mary G. Guardiano, 42, of Alameda; Jasmine Desguia, 34, of San Jose; Nelia Arrellano, 36, of Oakland; and Amalia Loyola, 48, of San Leandro.

Desguia and Loyola were listed in critical condition, said Joy Alexiou, a spokeswoman for Valley Medical Center. The condition of Arrellano, who was taken to another hospital, was not known.

A spokeswoman for Community Medical Center in Fresno said one or more of its employees were in the limo.

The company that operated the limo was identified as Limo Stop, which offers service through limousines, vans and SUVS.

The company issued a statement saying it “will do everything possible to investigate and assist authorities in determining the cause of this fire in order to bring forth answers and provide closure to (the) victims and their families.”

According to records from the California Public Utilities Commission, which regulates limousine companies, Limo Stop is licensed and insured.

by Anonymousreply 8905/06/2013

I just get enraged when I read accounts of fatal fires. I'm not talking about high-rises, but single family homes or couple-story apartment buildings. They all have windows- knock them out. Jump! A broken leg is better than severe burns or death.

Not to be crass, but it really does seem to be a test of your IQ/resourcefulness.

"This time, when he rolled down the partition, they were shouting, “Smoke, smoke!” and “Pull over, pull over!”

Passersby quickly pulled three to safety, though two were in critical condition Monday. One woman managed to squeeze through the partition between the passenger section and the driver's compartment, Brown told authorities.

But five others, including the bride whose marriage they were celebrating, became trapped."

I guess this driver won't be awarded hero status. Sounds like he ran. Unfortunately, not before OPENING THE DOORS.

by Anonymousreply 9905/06/2013

They posted a pic of the bride and she wasn't fat, she was thin. Most Filipinos are thin people not fats, as I said before, chubby maybe & short certainly but not over 150.

by Anonymousreply 10005/06/2013

That W&W is one of the most lol ones ever. Even though I've only heard of Marlo and wouldn't get the reference, the Alicia was enough.

by Anonymousreply 10105/06/2013

I read that they are all nurses from the same community health center in Fresno. It's going take some doing to replace them.

by Anonymousreply 10305/06/2013

[quote]The passengers in the back were sitting on a full tank of gas probably.

Don't look at me. I was in the Hamptons with Jeffrey.

by Anonymousreply 10605/06/2013

[quote]I read that they are all nurses from the same community health center in Fresno. It's going take some doing to replace them.

This actually is the reason why my last workplace actively discouraged employee friendships outside of work.

No, I'm not kidding.

As you can imagine, this policy made it rather difficult to forge employee friendships AT work, resulting in a bunch of unhappy, not-close people.

by Anonymousreply 10805/06/2013

What type of work did you do, R108? That's awfully intrusive.

by Anonymousreply 11005/06/2013

Way to hit the punchline with a sledgehammer, R107.

by Anonymousreply 11105/07/2013

R110, I worked for an alarm monitoring station.

We received both residential and commercial alarm signals: burglar alarms, fire, medical buttons, panic buttons, businesses opening and closing, etc.

We only had maybe 20 total staff, with only 2-5 working at any given time.

So, if one person was to, say, die in a car wreck, the company would be out one employee.

However, if five employees were friends and were all hanging out and died in a car wreck, the company would then be out five employees, which is a hell of a lot more inconvenient.

I understand the reasoning, but still, they were total cunts about it.

by Anonymousreply 11205/07/2013

Couldn't the company just simplified matters by asking employees to take separate transportation? Like the POTUS and the VP never travel together...

by Anonymousreply 11305/07/2013

R113, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Nah, they just didn't give a fuck about our quality of life.

Perfect example: we worked 12-hour shifts, 3 days on and 3 days off.

One Xmas party was held on the first day after a 3-day shift just ended; in other words, the overnight employees got off work at 8 am, and had to go to the Xmas party that night.

Real fucking considerate!

by Anonymousreply 11505/07/2013

Kept us off the front page!

by Anonymousreply 11605/07/2013

My neighbor is an ER nurse at Stanford and she's working today.

by Anonymousreply 11705/07/2013

R117 - okaaaaaay, and ?

by Anonymousreply 11805/09/2013

Does anyone know what caused the fire?

by Anonymousreply 11905/09/2013

The limo was only supposed to seat 8. There were 9 women in there.

by Anonymousreply 12005/09/2013

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 12105/09/2013

Does the limo have seatbelts? I wouldn't want to be sitting on a bench traveling sideways drinking with no seatbelt.

by Anonymousreply 12205/09/2013

The 9th person was a closet pyromaniac.

by Anonymousreply 12305/09/2013

Is it too early to guess what the husband had on his iPod? I'm guessing Burn, Bitch, Burn.

by Anonymousreply 12405/09/2013

LOL, R121.

by Anonymousreply 12505/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.