Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

9/11 widows now bent out of shape over proposed $25 admission fee for the 9/11 Museum

Of course they think it should be free admission. Perhaps it could if they donated from the victims' fund to defray the $60M annual operating costs?

One of the comments at the link:

[quote]This is hallowed ground and a fee should NOT be charged to see the museum of 9-11 artifacts. Most museums charge a minimum fee or are free to enter. This is a restrictive charge, a family of four would have to pay 100.00 to 120.00 just to enter the door, ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 3705/05/2013

For once I agree with the widows, who I've always considered craven opportunists. They're 100% correct and the fact that there will be a $25 admission fee is reprehensible. New York can own 9/11 once and for all...the fee proves it wasn't an event that brought this nation together.

by Anonymousreply 105/04/2013

What stake do you have in this, OP? I think they're right.

by Anonymousreply 205/04/2013

Craven opportunists. Wow. Heartless fuck.

by Anonymousreply 305/04/2013

They shouldn't have even built a museum. A Memorial speaks volume.

However, now that they have built the museum, there are costs associated with it. Of course you have to charge a fee. Most museums charge a fee for entrance, why should this be any different? The family wanted this. They fought for this. Everything costs money and they should have expected the upkeep to be paid for by the patrons.

by Anonymousreply 405/04/2013

I agree with them.

And 60 million a year? is that a joke?

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2013

Whoever wants to go to this museum is a jackass anyway.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2013

NYers should get in free. Everyone else should have to pay.

I'm sick of the 9/11 widows and victims families. They got their money (tax free millions), now they need to go away. They think they own this property. They don't.

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013

Can someone explain to me what there is even to show in a 9/11 museum?

I mean are they keeping the unidentified/unclaimed human remains in this thing?

by Anonymousreply 805/04/2013

I agree r7. The families were a big road block and they created this monster that they are now complaining about. NYC is expensive real estate and the 9/11 Memorial is taking up a huge chunk of space that could have been skyscraper with hundreds offices. Did they actually think that magical fairies would pay for everything while they have the privilege of walking the grounds for free?

This is why lay people should not have too much input.

by Anonymousreply 905/04/2013

[quote]$60M annual operating costs?

What a huge waste of money. Time to shut it down, rent out the space, and stick an eternal flame next to a couple of trees outside.

by Anonymousreply 1005/04/2013

[quote] Can someone explain to me what there is even to show in a 9/11 museum?

There was a wooden wall outside of Bellevue --scaffolding to protect pedestrians from construction work -- that was covered with posters of the missing. They took it down in sections and kept it to be part of a museum/memorial.

Twisted bits of metal from WTC.

A piece of paper thrown from one of the buildings saying something like, "We are trapped on the 86th floor. There are 6 of us in a corner office. Please send help."

911 calls.

Destroyed fire engine

Photos of the dead/missing. Only a few weeks after the attack there was a shop in my neighborhood with the employment photos of every cop and fireman who died. It was so depressing.

Photos of the sidewalk memorial downtown just after the attacks.

A friend of mine is an artist who did a painting that toured the country with an art show that was put together after 911. I wouldn't be surprised if those paintings were in a museum.

by Anonymousreply 1105/04/2013

They're right, of course, OP.

It shouldn't be a private, for-profit endeavor. It should be run by the national parks service, and entry should be free.

by Anonymousreply 1205/04/2013

[quote]It should be run by the national parks service, and entry should be free.

National Parks are not free. National Parks are cutting back on employees and opening hours.

by Anonymousreply 1305/04/2013

[quote]For once I agree with the widows, who I've always considered craven opportunists

What do you make of the Neo-Cons who attacked us on 9/11 pretending to be Arabs in order to start a phony "War on Terror?"

When it comes to craven opportunism, the widows can't hold a candle to those foul, filthy murderers and the professional liars who cover up for them.

by Anonymousreply 1405/05/2013

Agree with the widows. The site is the final resting place, (aka grave site) of their loved ones. You wouldnt pay to visit a cemetary, and nor should they. It should at least be free for immediate family

by Anonymousreply 1505/05/2013

It was a scam then and it's a scam now

by Anonymousreply 1605/05/2013

What would Ron Paul do?

by Anonymousreply 1705/05/2013

[quote] What would Ron Paul do?

Probably stop construction and leave it as an unfinished monolithic blight in downtown Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 1805/05/2013

So what is the memorial, then, R15?

by Anonymousreply 1905/05/2013

thanks r11.

I'm still not sure why you would want to make a museum of that. A memorial to the people who died... now that makes sense.

But a museum commemorating how awful everyone felt afterward I just don't get.

Like the only comparison I can come up with that memorializes a tragedy similarly is the national Holocaust museum (which is FREE btw) but that shows the horror of what happened for a historical and political purpose so that we don't let genocide of human beings happen again. I don't see the 9/11 museum as described accomplishing any such thing.

Or maybe apt comparison is the Ford theater and house where Lincoln died tours which are more tragitourism than educational?

by Anonymousreply 2005/05/2013

I'd like to think all these dead people were Beliebers! They rock...well, rocked.

by Anonymousreply 2105/05/2013

For $25 it better include a flight simulator!

by Anonymousreply 2205/05/2013

Does anyone know where I can find some good photos of what the bodies of the jumpers looked like after they hit the concrete?

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013

R23, to see that kind of horror and ugliness, check your mirror.

by Anonymousreply 2405/05/2013

Wow R23. Just wow.

by Anonymousreply 2505/05/2013

R23, do a search for "Kim Kardashian's cunt."

by Anonymousreply 2605/05/2013

The Smithsonian museums are free in DC. Couldn't TPTB somehow allow this particular museum fall under the grants and monies given to the Smithsonian?

by Anonymousreply 2705/05/2013

[quote] I'm still not sure why you would want to make a museum of that.

Well, fewer people died at Pearl Harbor, but we have a sprawling memorial there including a visitors center, a shrine, a sunken battleship and a museum which includes things like the bell from the USS Arizona.

You may not want to see a rusty old sunken battleship that leaks oil, but apparently other people do.

My best friend's father's 80th birthday is coming up. He lives on Long Island. Guess where he wants to go? Yup. Ground Zero. I laughed when they were talking about the plan for the day, but apparently he wants to see the memorial and the new building. He came here from Portugal as a young man, still owns land in Portugal and considers himself as American as George Washington. So his birthday will start out at Ground Zero and then a helicopter ride will take them back to LI.

You never know what people consider to be important or sacrosanct.

by Anonymousreply 2805/05/2013

Can't we ask the Saudis to fund it?

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013

A $25 fee to see the remnants of a terrorist act on US soil? This is vulgar and commercializing a tragic event. I personally have no interest in this museum even if it were free.

NY and the US govn't continues to milk the 9/11 cow and it's disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 3005/05/2013

I was in NYC that day. I saw the buildings come down with my own eyes and I knew people who died. I have not visited the memorial and I have no interest and probably won't visit the museum. I remember what happened and will always remember what happened, I don't need a reminder. I am embarrassed by the events that followed 9/11. When I was last in the area and saw people buying cheap glass statues of the building from sidewalk vendors I felt sick.

by Anonymousreply 3105/05/2013

Why do we as Americans have to hold on to EVERYTHING? When did "Never Forget!" become a part of our daily lives?

In Europe, many worse things have happened for many more centuries than we can imagine and yet they MOVE ON from tragedy, they don't wallow in it.

This is macabre, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 3205/05/2013

[quote] In Europe, many worse things have happened for many more centuries than we can imagine and yet they MOVE ON from tragedy, they don't wallow in it

You're joking, right?

We were just bombed by Chechens from Kyrgystan and Dagestan because they are pissed off about whatever may have happened 10 years ago, 200 years ago or 1,000 years ago. Take your pick.

I just watched series about Europeans from Georgia and Ossetia fighting and killing each other in ethnic violence that has been going on for years. And Armenia is battling people on their border. Again. And then there's Bosnia, Serbia and Croatia, who hate each other and periodically ethnically cleanse each other instead of just fucking living in peace, which is the sensible thing to do.

And there are Holocaust museums in Europe. They're called former concentration camps. I saw museums and memorials to WWII throughout Russia. I saw a diorama depicting the Bolshevik civil war of the 1920s in Tajikistan. No doubt today it's a museum to Takik independence. I've been to the tomb of Timor in Samarkand -- a man who is believed to have killed upwards of 15 million people. Can't they just put that behind them? He was just a man, for heaven's sake.

There are museums and memorials to all sorts of victims, heroes, war victories, war losses, revolutions, counter revolutions, natural events (tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, hurricanes, famine, fire), plane crashes, shipwrecks, explosions, bombing campaigns, rulers, destroyers, rebels, bandits, lawmen, religious events all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 3305/05/2013

I don't have a problem with a $25 admission fee -- but I do have a problem with the 9/11 widows and their eternally misdirected anger. They've held this project hostage long enough.

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013

So, R34, where WAS the trillion-dollar US Air Force on the morning of 9/11? Out to lunch?

by Anonymousreply 3505/05/2013

It should be like the Met museum--a suggested contribution, but you pay what you can.

by Anonymousreply 3605/05/2013

I don't understand why they can't charge tourists more. I paid more to get into some museums in Russia because I wasn't a Russian citizen.

And lets be honest who are the people who want to cry at a 9/11 museum? It ain't most NYers.

by Anonymousreply 3705/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!