Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Word Usage Changes In Our Lifetime...

You know, English is a malleable and transitional language. I'm an elder and I've witnessed society change the words it uses to describe people, places and things if they've changed a bit or even if they haven't changed. I give you some examples, would you like to suggest some of your own?

negro= black = Afro-American= AfricanAmerican stewardess= flight attendant nurse= male nurse mortician= funeral director rap= hip-hop mulatto=people of color indian= native American whore= sex worker faggot=gay dyke= lesbian

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013

That's not an example of a change in word usage. Those are words that have gone in and out of fashion for political and other reasons.

Changes in the meanings of words are more complicated and include momentarily, which at on time meant 'for a moment', but now can mean 'in a moment'.

Apparently this came about from flight attendants announcing to passengers on stopover flight that they would be landing in a city momentarily - meaning they would be departing again shortly thereafter.

Another change is hopefully which went from meaning 'with hope' to 'with a bit of luck'. At one time "she answered the phone hopefully" described how she was feeling when she answered the phone, but now is more likely to mean that the speaker hopes that she did in fact answer the phone.

by Anonymousreply 105/05/2013

Umpy, get some sleep, hon.

by Anonymousreply 205/05/2013

R1 missed his high colonic this morning.

by Anonymousreply 305/05/2013

And yet, OP, a troll is still a troll.

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

illegal alien-undocumented worker

by Anonymousreply 505/05/2013

Rap and hip-hop are not exactly the same thing.

Hip-hop is a culture and lifestyle and rap is the music of that culture. B-boying and graffiti are other examples of hip-hop culture.

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.