Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can dumb actors "project intelligence"?

How hard is it?

by Anonymousreply 4205/05/2013

I'm not a rocket scientist; I just play one on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 205/04/2013

... LINE!

by Anonymousreply 305/04/2013

Not really. Salma Hayek always comes across as an airhead no matter the part.

by Anonymousreply 405/04/2013

[quote]I'm not a rocket scientist; I just play one on the big screen.

It was a nuclear physicist, dear. Be careful you don't get typecast.

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2013

I was surprisingly good in BEING JOHN MALKOVICH as the nerdy girl.

And I'm dumber than a box of hair.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2013

I played an ASS-TRO-fizz-A-cyst!!!!

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013

I think it's possible, but I've never seen it.

Worst example I've ever seen is when Jeffrey Donovan took over for Robson Green playing Dave Creegan in Touching Evil. It didn't work because Donovan didn't look bright enough to play Creegan.

by Anonymousreply 905/04/2013

On stage, at least, it seems to be readily achievable if they have a smart director who does understand the lines. It's quite a gobsmacking experience to go to the "Meet the actors" night of a Chekhov play. You watch it, and you're seeing all these cultured characters with high sensibility, and then the actors tell you what they thought they were doing and all you can do is roll your eyes.

Of course, if the director's not very bright either you roll your eyes during the show.

by Anonymousreply 1005/04/2013

If one can act, one can project anything.

by Anonymousreply 1105/04/2013

Cam Diaz @R8 is PISSED, you guys!

by Anonymousreply 1205/04/2013

cowardly cunt

by Anonymousreply 1305/04/2013

Cameron Diaz is a good example. She's a good actress and can play smart, though comes across as not all that bright.

by Anonymousreply 1405/04/2013

R8, how do you pronounce "faeces"? Fie-YAY-says?

by Anonymousreply 1505/04/2013

The word "dumb" means "mute". The word for lacking intelligence is "stupid".

by Anonymousreply 1605/04/2013

Silly R16, unaware that words can have more than one meaning.

by Anonymousreply 1705/04/2013

Who could forget psychiatrist JLo in The Cell or nuclear physicist Denise Richards or Mark Wahlberg with anything requiring an IQ.

Watching intelligent actors trying to do dumbed down characters is more painful.

by Anonymousreply 1805/04/2013

[quote]Watching intelligent actors trying to do dumbed down characters is more painful.

Jodie Foster does it well.

by Anonymousreply 1905/04/2013

Bad examples, but what about Patrick Stewart?

He's best known for playing the very intelligent Captain Picard, and a lot of other smart characters. I've never seen him come across as bright in interviews, quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 2005/04/2013

R19 - Jodie doesn't play dumb characters for the most part. She's very good at playing street-smart, but poorly educated characters.

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2013

All it takes is wearing horn-rimmed glasses.

by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2013

Actually, Jodie's efforts to play outside her type can be laughable at times: the working-class mom in LITTLE MAN TATE, and of course, NELL, which is epic camp.

Take another look at her as the tough, downtrodden girl in THE ACCUSED. It's astonishing she won an Oscar for such an obvious, overwrought performance. But then, I'm not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 2305/04/2013

I liked her performances in Little Man Tate and in The Accused.

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2013

She was great in The Accused. Totally deserved that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2013

Didn't we all think Jeremy Irons was somewhat smart? When he went off the script, oh boy!

by Anonymousreply 2605/04/2013

No. But with good editing, they can look like it.

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2013

Jeremy Irons is a great example!

He really can play intelligent, wise, or manipulative characters, but seems to be a complete dolt in real life. Worse, a complete dolt who believes he's smart.

by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2013

People with cut glass "sophisticated" British accents always get a pass and it always works in America. In his home country Irons isn't so revered. The apparent dumbness is new though.

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013

Uhhhm, what. was. the. Question?

by Anonymousreply 3005/04/2013

Jodie Foster is a talented actress with a very limited range.

With each role, ask yourself, "Could this character be a lesbian?"

If your answer is no, then Jodie will not be good.

by Anonymousreply 3105/05/2013

Michael Gough, "Alfred" in the Batman films, thought he was stupid, but sustaining a decades-long acting career takes a massive amount of emotional intelligence, at the very least. From a 1988 interview:

Last month, Michael Gough marked the 50th anniversary of his short-lived Broadway debut. Even in 1937, there were plays that lasted less than a week, and 'Love of Women' was one of them.

Gough has done considerably better since then, but one thing hasn`t changed.

"I keep thinking I'm going to grow up, and I haven't managed it yet,"said the 72-year-old British actor, currently appearing in 'Breaking the Code.'

"I've got this intelligent face and no brain at all," he said.

"Emotionally I'm over the top, and intellectually I'm under par. Probably the reason I'm an actor is is that you don't have to pass examinations-I was hopeless in school; I never passed a single exam."

Whatever-he did develop a love of language that makes him particularly aware and appreciative of the dialogue in 'Code.'

"It's cut to the bone, there's no fat in it, no `wells` or `buts` or `ers,`" he said.

"There`s a reason for every line, there's a rhythm. If I get a word wrong, it throws me."

by Anonymousreply 3205/05/2013

It can't be done, or else Leonardo Di Caprio would actually be believable in the Aviator.

by Anonymousreply 3305/05/2013

R28: His problem is not being believable as an intelligent man; it is being believable as a man.

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013

I thought Lindsay Wagner did a good job of playing the Bionic Woman, a relatively smart character. But whenever I saw an interview with Lindsay, she seemed really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 3505/05/2013

On that note, Heather Locklear was the only one with a brain in Melrose Place. Not exactly a MENSA candidate herself, yet it worked.

by Anonymousreply 3605/05/2013

Ben Affleck always looked dumb to me. Always.

Regarding Jodie Foster, The Beaver displays the mediocrity of Foster as a filmmaker.

Brad Pitt strikes me as incredibly dumb, yet he can appear intelligent in certain parts (when he doesn't breathe through his mouth).

by Anonymousreply 3705/05/2013

Victoria Jackson's portrayal of Marie Curie was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 3805/05/2013

How about Justin Bieber's upcoming role as Stephen Hawking? I hear he's been working on the voice for months.

by Anonymousreply 3905/05/2013

Ben is quite smart. Watch him on Real Time.

by Anonymousreply 4005/05/2013

Thank god most don't agree with you r23

Gillian Anderson owns this thread. She's very flighty in real life but amazing as Agent-Dr. Scully.

by Anonymousreply 4105/05/2013

Blythe Danner comes off as smart but in real life is rather dim...and she shat out that awful creature who just won't go away.

by Anonymousreply 4205/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.