Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kent State: 43 years ago today

Pictures of the shootings at the link.

Your thoughts?

Are any of our emeritus posters (I won't say e1der gays) around at that time? What do you remember about that event?

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013

Horror. One of the defining events in my life. I was 15 and saw the live broadcast from Kent State. The first photo has been seared in my memory for over 40 years.

The National Guard got away with murder. Plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 105/04/2013

I was a freshman in high school which was located only about 10 miles from Kent State. This was BIG NEWS in the Cleveland area and many people my age and college age were appalled at the Guard behavior. There were a lot of people who went to the moratorium in Washington DC - which I think occurred shortly afterward - to protest.

I went to a recruiting event at Kent State in 1972 and the school played it up BIG TIME - hoping to draw people to the school because of the event. Pathetic, in a way, because they didn't do a very good job at exposing what the National Guard did.

by Anonymousreply 205/04/2013

I remember being a little freaked out as a kid, then I heard "Close to You" and realized it may be alright...

by Anonymousreply 305/04/2013

I was a toddler when this happened but I lived near Kent briefly in my college years and was surprised at what a nerve it still touched there.

I agree with R1. The Guard murdered the citizens it was sent to protect.

by Anonymousreply 405/04/2013

Oh, it was just another day for selfish, entitled, hateful-of-future-generations Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2013

R5 eats steaming piles of shit.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2013

Was anyone ever convicted, or was a trial even held?

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013

tin soldiers and nixon's coming

by Anonymousreply 805/04/2013

Any good documentaries on this?

by Anonymousreply 905/04/2013

The best I have right now, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1005/04/2013

We were mostly brainwashed...same as now. "The troops are defending our freedom!!" Pure bullshit. We didn't know what to believe.

It was anything to keep the budget high for our military industrial complex.

by Anonymousreply 1105/04/2013

They were firing real bullets into the crowds. On a University Campus. Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1205/04/2013

I remember it well. It was roughly one month before my high school graduation (June, 1970.) I remember wearing a black armband at graduation to signify opposition to the war.

by Anonymousreply 1305/05/2013

State school? Figures.

by Anonymousreply 1405/05/2013

I lived within 50 miles of KSU and was in Jr. High. The media parroted the Republican governor's side of the story. (That would be Jim Rhodes, may he rot in Hell.) Quite a while later it came to light that some of the people killed were in a parking lot nowhere near the peaceful demonstration. They used rifles on American college students without consequences. We're surprised the injustices we currently face can happen, given our history?

by Anonymousreply 1505/05/2013

[quote]They were firing real bullets into the crowds. On a University Campus. Horrifying.

Too bad the students didn't fire back

by Anonymousreply 1605/05/2013

r6 couldn't detect sarcasm if it bit him in hos head, which is up his arse.

I was alluding to another thread herein.

by Anonymousreply 1705/05/2013

I was in college in St. Paul Minnesota. I was a member of a pretty radical theatrical group. We were horrified. It was during the hieght of the anti war movement during Viet Nam. It changed everything. We lost our innocence in a way. Targeted by our own.

by Anonymousreply 1805/05/2013

are we not men?

by Anonymousreply 1905/05/2013

R17, we thought you were serious.

by Anonymousreply 2005/05/2013

R21, you do realize that tear gas is not sarin gas?

I've been teared gassed, btw. Decidedly unpleasant, but not deadly.

by Anonymousreply 2205/05/2013

I was ten years old but remember just feeling like it was another horrible thing that was somehow connected to all the OTHER violence going on in the adult world of my childhood. Civil rights riots, murders of our peace leaders, Vietnam. The world was NOT more peaceful back then, in case anyone thinks it was. There was just as much bad, awful, violent news a lot of the time as today, simply reported through more narrow channels. Kent State was horrible beyond words made worse because of the iconic pictures, which instantly became a symbol.

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013

I was a sophomore at SUNY Albany. Demonstrations spread across university campuses throughout the country. A couple of buildings at SUNY were set on fire, and we were all sent home mid-semester.

by Anonymousreply 2405/05/2013

I know one of the people who was wounded and survived. He has cashed in on that notoriety ever since. He's made some decent coin on it. I think his finger was grazed by a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 2505/05/2013

I was 11, didn't know much - I remember seeing the photos in LIFE magazine - they were so scary ...

It was a different time then -- less censorship, so there were photos of students in pools of blood; less Internet chatter, so by the time you heard about it, it was verified (cooked?).

Today - it's Internet rumors and cell phone photos by "citizen" photojournalists. (This is awesome, when it's done right, BTW)

Just a different time --

by Anonymousreply 2605/05/2013

The chick in the photo - Mary Ann Vecchio hasn't made money off the photo except for the "reunions". Which is sad, she's had a hard life and she should be compensated big time by the photog. +

by Anonymousreply 2705/05/2013

I went to a protest there in maybe 1977. I was a student at Western Michigan University. I didn't know until we were half way there that I was with the communist party.

At the protest which went around the Kent State campus there were people on top of the buildings taking movies and photos of the protesters. We were told it was the FBI.

by Anonymousreply 2805/05/2013

Thanks for posting this, OP>

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!