Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My sister has three kids in private school!

$150,000 a year just for tuition!!!! They are so fucked!!!

by Anonymousreply 5206/09/2013

Oh my goodness OP, that is a lot of money! Sounds like you rub elbows with some pretty important people. What are they like? Did your sister marry into this money or does she have a high paying job? Or did you all grow up wealthy? Sorry for all the questions, I just can't imagine shelling out that kind of $$$$ for anything let alone private school, I just find it really fascinating how some people live a whole different lifestyle! I would have killed to go to private school.. did you go to private school?

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

Well, smell your sister! I am carrying two kids financially: 1 in a day school for $25,000 and another boarding for a bit over $38,000. Then college looms over me at an average of $50,000 per. So yea, we're fucked...

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

Can she actually afford it?

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

I'm not sure if she can afford it. Her husband is an entertainment lawyer but it still seems like an awful lot of money. I have no idea how much he makes. (any guess?) (Plus they have a 2 million dollar mortgage.)

She's kind of real housewifey... she was kind of a wall flower in school and I think she overcompensates nowadays to show off. We were middle class growing up (we went to private schools too but they weren't that expensive at the time and it was the late 80s so lots of people were well off (you could get 20% interest on a savings account and parents saved money back then)

by Anonymousreply 405/04/2013

[quote] you could get 20% interest on a savings account

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2013

20% interest?!! Where the fuck did your family bank, the Cayman Islands?!

I was very frugal when I first started working in the late 1970s, I saved for years, most of that money was in a bank. I never recall that type of interest, even the few CDs I had back then didn't very well.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2013

or maybe 18% I have statements from a money market account I had as a kid and that was the interest shockingly.

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013

Your family sounds like they were pretty savvy with their money, OP. Good for them (and for you). I love that you saved those statements all of these years. You sound like one of those people that's really super organized and saves everything but very neatly. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 805/04/2013

Are you a Hilton, OP?

by Anonymousreply 905/04/2013

no r9. My private school was only like 9 thousand a year housing included. Times have really changed. Lots of kids in my high school went to private school it wasn't as upper class a thing back then.

by Anonymousreply 1005/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 1105/04/2013

[Lots of kids in my high school went to private school]

I lost you OP. Your high school was private right?

by Anonymousreply 1205/04/2013

no, public. (well and by lots I mean maybe 20.....I guess it wasn't "lots")

by Anonymousreply 1305/04/2013

"only like 9 thousand a year"

LOL The average American can't spend that kind of money sending their kids to school, especially if they have more than one or two kids.

Do you know how much the annual income is for the average American family of four? People are barely scrapping by these days yet here you are on DL talking about private school tuition prices!

by Anonymousreply 1405/04/2013

Where I live the public schools are so lousy, sending your child to one of them falls just short of child abuse.

I know several parents who work two or three jobs so send their children of parochial or private schools.

Is it worth it? The parents think so. Their children get into highly competitive colleges and universities and several get into medical school or competitive graduate programs

by Anonymousreply 1505/04/2013

So when did you go to private school, middle school?

by Anonymousreply 1605/04/2013

Why is it whenever the upper class gather to discuss upper class type problems there is always someone like r14 who has to chime in whine about the problems of those kind of people.

by Anonymousreply 1705/04/2013

many people do r14....the private schools are pretty full. no?

and this was in the eighties as I said. There was much less consumerism. Many parents started saving when a kid was born. People didn't travel, didn't buy expensive stuff etc.

by Anonymousreply 1805/04/2013

OP I am very very confused. First you said you went to private school (apparently boarding school as the $9000 included housing). Then you said that your high school was public and that you did not go to private school?

Help me out here, I know I am missing something.

by Anonymousreply 1905/04/2013

Lol, I really can't understand the breeder mentality. I would rather blow up the $150,000 a year on things I like/want/need than in ungrateful brats.

by Anonymousreply 2005/04/2013

Why do you care OP? It's their money, who cares how they spend it.

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2013

r19...public high school....private college

by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2013

R4 Who are his clients? Entertainment lawyers usually get a flat 5% of what their clients make. So if he has 10 clients who make $1M each a year he makes $500K/year.

by Anonymousreply 2305/04/2013

yes r21..I wish I had a huge mortgage and had to pay out that much per year.

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2013

Are you British, OP? In America when someone says "I went to private school" they normally don't mean college (unless the conversation was already about college).

So you were a kid in the late 80s (based on your bank statments), and then you went to private college, I guess that would have to have been the 90s.

What private college in the 90s only cost $9000 including housing? Are you sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2013

r23 the head of his firm has some famous clients but his mostly seem to be tv writers and directors.

by Anonymousreply 2605/04/2013

no I went to college in 88. Maybe it was more...I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2013

Do lawyers have to split the money with the whole firm? There are lots of partners but the head lawyer seems to have all the cool clients.

by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2013

So your sister's kids, are they in private school or private college? (Because I think most people on this thread are under the impression you meant private high school).

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013

Is this in NYC? In L.A., the best private high schools are $32-35K a year. Ergo 3 kids would not be $150,000 for tuition. Of course, even at $32K+ a year, the schools still expect ongoing donations for school support, plus there are the 2 week "immersion" trips and field students take, that can cost $3K a trip, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3005/04/2013

oops I meant private colleges....sorry. The sad part is the have a fourth kid who is the nicest and gay. I just hope they have money left for her.

by Anonymousreply 3105/04/2013

R28 I am sure there are others better informed on this topic but this is what I have gathered from my lawyer friends. The heads of the firm usually have the "good" clients but they don't actually do the nuts and bolts work. They mostly do the client courting, hand holding and ass kissing. Then they filter the drudge work down to the associates/jrs. If you bring in enough of your own "good" clients and make partner you get to participate in the overall take.

by Anonymousreply 3205/04/2013

[quote] You sound like one of those people that's really super organized and saves everything but very neatly. I love it!

God, you're weird. How did you get all that from the OP saying he's got some statements from a money market he had as a kid? For all you know, they are only thing he saved from his childhood AND they're sitting in a tattered heap in the middle of his kitchen floor or something.

And, no, shelling out obscene amounts of money to send your kids to private school does not make you "some pretty important people." My brother spend 20K annually per kid to send his two kids to private fucking *preschool*, and I don't even want to know what he's spending now that they are in elementary, oh excuse me, "lower" school, and this does not make him important, it just makes him ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3305/04/2013

OP I though I recognized you - you are the "state school" troll! I just confirmed this with troll-dar.

A smattering of OP's recent gems:

[quote] Why do so many people seem to be going to out of state, state schools? Just seems odd.

[quote] Why on earth did Patty Hearst go to a state school? I mean really?

[quote] How do we feel about charter schools? It is odd...the people I'm having dinner with her staunch liberals...yet their kids go to a charter school.

[quote] What is the difference between a "public" school and a "private" school?

Google "state school" "datalounge" and you'll find these and many more of OP's greatest hits.

They say people can become obsessed with the oddest things, but you are really a certifiable goofball, OP. Keep rockin!

by Anonymousreply 3405/04/2013

only the first three are mine!!! and obsessed with Patty Hearst not State schools!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3505/04/2013

Apparently, you are also rather obsessed with exclamation points. WTF? Why did you use about a million of them in your OP on this thread, as though the fact that three of your sister's kids (she must be a fucking brood sow, btw--three kids in college at the same time? tell the dumb bitch to close her legs if she wants to save some money) are attending private colleges is some sudden and unexpected development.

by Anonymousreply 3605/04/2013

r33/r36 seems to have hostility issues.

Exclamation points are fun!!!!!!!!!

Lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2013

Back to the Jahar thread...

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2013

Wow, the OP really does have a state school fixation; now he just made an obnoxious remark on the Kent State thread.

by Anonymousreply 3905/05/2013

Only the poor or newly rich brag about prices.

Shoo now, go away.

by Anonymousreply 4005/05/2013

I noticed that too R39. I wonder why he cares do much. Such a weird fixation.

by Anonymousreply 4105/05/2013

Everyone needs someone to look down on.

by Anonymousreply 4205/05/2013

Eat the rich!

by Anonymousreply 4305/05/2013

Beat down the underclass!

by Anonymousreply 4405/05/2013

The OP by his own admission attended some cheap, shitty private college and has a white-trash sister who apparently squeezed out 3 kids in as many years, yet somehow he fancies himself "above" those who have graduated from institutions such as Berkeley, Michigan, and U.Va. Tee her, OP, how cute your little delusions are.

by Anonymousreply 4505/05/2013

perhaps I am just a troll who likes to provoke people like you r45. Could be....

by Anonymousreply 4605/05/2013

I went to UVA. It is not a charm school.

by Anonymousreply 4705/05/2013

A friend of a friend had a son who is interested in attending one of the service academies. The mother was talking to one of the academies' admissions personnel. The admissions person asked what high school the son would be attending (he was in eighth grade at the time). The mother said that he would attending the nearby Catholic high school, Bishop Whathisname High School..

The admissions person said it would be better if the boy attended Saint So-and-So High School. The recruiter said that St. So-and-So was perceived as a better high school. Bishop Whathisname, he said, was a good school but So-and-So had a better reputation academically and socially. The student body had Whathisname is primarily middle class, while St. So-and-So is more upper class..

The young man is going into his senior year of high school at St. So-and-So. His mother said that his education is very good, but with the longer commute to school, she wonder if she should have sent him to Whathisname, where his sister received a very good education (and accepted to a college rated "most competitive"). All questions will be answered if and when the young man gets into a service academy

by Anonymousreply 4806/09/2013

So happy I live in a country ONLY has public school system, grammar school totally free (paid by taxes), high school (three yrs) need to pay books, e-books just on their way or trade school, need to pay materials. University level, all public founded back, when I was, paid around 100$ annual. Today about the same. Now universities need to find more private money.

by Anonymousreply 4906/09/2013

Are you sure your country has ANY school system, r49? Your post is so incoherent as to make me wonder if you've ever spent a second in a classroom.

by Anonymousreply 5006/09/2013

50 I (49) got my education in Finland, many professional people from US and all around the world have visited Finland to learn why the system works and how it works. It has its problems "thanks" to financial problems in EU.

by Anonymousreply 5106/09/2013

Finland really does have one of the best educational systems in the world. Also excellent: South Korea, the Netherlands, Canada, and Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 5206/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!