Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have lived in NYC for 35 years next weekend

I feel somehow depressed about it. Can't explain it. Just -- nothing is the same. Many of my friends are gone or moved away. I still live in my same little rent controlled apartment that I acquired back in 1988. The hallway still smells like lentils. Bah.

by Anonymousreply 6505/04/2013

RENT CONTROLLED??? You have no reason to be depressed.

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

yeah, rent controlled and NYC

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

How much is your rent and how big is your apartment and where is it located (general area)?

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

I know how you feel. I lived there 26 years and finally left. My friends all left too and would call periodically and say they couldn't believe that I had the same job, same number and lived in the same apartment.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

New York, this is your last chance!

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

I live in Tudor City. It's quiet and pleasant enough.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

It has undergone a lot of change. I really dislike that NYC is now some 1% play land. People like that are clueless and parasitic - they offer nothing to culture, except their money, with which they are often too stingy. On the other hand, I think some new kind of sui generis cultural uprising is right around the corner for all of America.

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

I couldn't imagine living in NYC past the age of 50. It seems like it would be too physically challenging for an older person with all the walking and crowds.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

a city that you can walk in is actually better for older people (and all humans)

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2013

50??? LOL, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

NYC is one of the best cities in the country for older adults.

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

Lentils? Could be worse.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

That's true, R9. But I'd rather walk around a quaint town or park area than the mean streets of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2013

So go back where you came from and stop bitching. If you weren't born here, you're not a real NY'er anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

White people problems.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

[quote]NYC is one of the best cities in the country for older adults.

They would have to be very healthy older adults with no mobility problems. What do you do if you get arthritis or leg problems and you're stuck there?

Unless you're rich like Liza or Lauren Bacall, NYC would be a very scary place for most seniors.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

wouldn't it be worse if you were in a town that had fewer stores, doctors and the few things that existed were far away? And good luck if you can't drive

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2013

Mobility issues would be problematic anywhere. But NYC has services for people who are homebound that other communities don't have.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2013

I'm with post that want to in the "murder she wrote" town. I would love a small cape house with a big cozy fire and good napping couch.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2013

OP, you would be much happier in a place like Asheville, NC, or St. Augustine, FL.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2013

MR. GRANSINGER'S SECRETARY: But New York is the center of everything!

MAMA ROSE: New York is the center of New York!

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2013

Can people enjoy anything anymore?

The internet seems to encourage everyone to complain about everything. Everything is annoying, disappointing, and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2013

I would slit my wrist if I still lived in an apartment, fuck forbid a goddamned studio.

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2013

Damn OP, I can't imagine.

I've been here 5 years and I feel like I've almost already had enough. I'm still here for career (which is finally starting to pick up) but I cannot WAIT until I establish myself enough to work somewhere else (I'm a writer).

I do enjoy it I guess, but I just find it so dirty and smelly and crowded and you're constantly exposed to the dregs of society at all times. Someone up thread called it a 1% play land and it totally is. It's just completely overrun by these boring, soulless corporate types. Even worse than them are the wannabe A-gay robots who think that dining out and spending too much money on clothes makes them interesting.

I'm really thinking about giving it a shot in Atlanta, DC, Denver, San Francisco, L.A., or virtually any other large city. I just don't know if I can spend my entire adult life living in this one city.

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2013

OP, 34 years here. Like a rock in a turbulent stream, all the edges have been rounded off this town.

We're going against the tide. A few more years we'll finally buy a car and a condo in the Florida sky. Everyone else seems to be car sharing - at best - and moving into the city centers.

But it's really not all that anymore. It's entirely about my many friends of 30-40 years who live here.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2013

I'm over it too. Came here two years ago all wide-eyed and ready to "conquer" the city. When I came back down to earth, I realized it's nothing but a dirty, grimy place to live with so many self-absorbed people crammed into tiny apartments. I just switched jobs to Jersey City, and plan on moving to a small town in Jersey. Good riddance!

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2013

OP, I think you need to turn off the that Billy Joel record.

by Anonymousreply 2705/03/2013

[quote] I think some new kind of sui generis cultural uprising is right around the corner for all of America.

If I knew what this meant, would it make any difference?

by Anonymousreply 2805/03/2013

OP, if you got that apartment in 1988, that makes 25 years you have been there, not 35. Unless you lived somewhere else the first ten. Or this is a troll post. The latter is more likely.

There are an awful lot of people who disagree with you and who love living in NYC or would love to move there.

by Anonymousreply 2905/03/2013

Your post says you have lived there for THIRTY FIVE years. If you moved there in the late 80's, that is TWENTY FIVE years. Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 3105/03/2013

He never said he was in the same fucking apartment for 35 years, fuckface.

by Anonymousreply 3205/03/2013

You moron r31, I MOVED INTO MY CURRENT APARTMENT in the late 1980s. How is this difficult to grasp?

by Anonymousreply 3305/03/2013

R31. Fucking idiot. He has been in NYC 35 years and acquired his shitty little apartment 25 years ago. He lived somewhere else for 10 years. Too complex for you?

by Anonymousreply 3405/03/2013

Now all this sounds like New Yorkers!

by Anonymousreply 3505/03/2013

I POSTED that at R29 (because the original post could be interpreted that he moved to the CITY in 1988) but the OP did not explain it at r30.

I don't give a shit how long he has lived there, only that he is a whiner. Many people would kill to have a rent controlled apartment in NYC. The grass is always greener, though.

by Anonymousreply 3605/03/2013

R36, you and r31 are equally simple. You should connect.

by Anonymousreply 3705/03/2013

These math problems are tearing us apart!

by Anonymousreply 3805/03/2013

R37, I am the same poster. If you used troll-dar you would have seen that.

Anyone could have misinterpreted how long this douchewad has lived in NYC. His original post is unclear and his reply at R30 is also unclear. He is not a good communicator.

My confusion is easily understandable.

Learn to use troll-dar to see who the posters are.

by Anonymousreply 3905/03/2013

I will commit to using troll dar if you commit to remedial English and math.

by Anonymousreply 4005/03/2013

Almost 20 years and leaving at the end of the year!!! There is a whole wide world out there and I want to experience some of it. NYC will always be here and when/if I am ready to come back I will find a way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 4105/03/2013

"Anyone could have misinterpreted how long this douchewad has lived in NYC. His original post is unclear and his reply at [R30] is also unclear. He is not a good communicator."

Actually, you're just stupid. Deeply stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4205/03/2013

Oh fucking sake, who fucking cares how many years he's lived here. Get back to the discussion at hand about leaving vs. staying in NYC as you get older.

by Anonymousreply 4305/03/2013

You HAVE to live in New Orlean's French Quarter for at least PART of your life---or you haven't lived at all.

by Anonymousreply 4405/03/2013

Do you have noisy upstairs neighbors who won't put down carpeting and thick padding? Blonde bar girls who come in at 2AM and walk around in heels and drop their cement dildos on the floor?

by Anonymousreply 4505/03/2013

Uh no r44. New Orleans is perfectly fine to visit but I would never live there. Same problems as OP states. Dirty and smelly and too expensive to live there. Its fun to visit the big city on vacation but I'm happy where I'm at.

by Anonymousreply 4605/03/2013

Going on 20, finally moved to Brooklyn, and it's not far enough. Kinda wish I'd taken all my money from the Manhattan digs that I bought when the market was low and just left entirely. I just don't utilize the city enough, and parking is a hassle. I have a place in the Catskills, and would just rather be there.

by Anonymousreply 4705/03/2013

I have a question for r31/r36. Why did you bother to come into this thread if you thought the OP was a whiner? I hate contentious shit stirrers like you who go into every thread where someone is in despair or unhappy with their living situation or is having a problem with a relationship, or they have to deal with a fucked up family member, or they hate their jobs but can't afford to quit, and instead of offering solid advice or even a bit of empathy, you tell them what whiny little bitches they are. Why don't you try starting a thread of your own? Or do you lack the imagination, let alone the eighteen dollars, that it would require? New York can be a lonely and enervating place. Finding an affordable place to live is often a double edged sword. At first you feel elated, but if it turns out you don't really like the building, your neighbors or the neighborhood, and you can't afford better, it becomes a prison. OP, I have lived in New York for thirty-eight years and I fantasize everyday about a small house with a backyard, a porch and a fire place. Keep hope alive.

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2013

Congrats! I've been here for almost 2 decades and I still love it. Although I don't know if I will live here forever. I can't stand the people here sometimes, the outsiders who come here to "make it," they are so self-absorbed and full of shit that I just can't stand it but I don't have a choice since I have to deal with these fake posers in my line of work.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2013

Now, now boys. Get a room.

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2013

You still pay rent?

Oh dear. Can't seem to wrap my mind around that. Perhaps another Fuzzy Mimosa out by the pool pavilion.

The things people endure.....

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2013

[quote]It has undergone a lot of change. I really dislike that NYC is now some 1% play land. People like that are clueless and parasitic - they offer nothing to culture ***.

Is this really true? I've only visited NYC as a tourist, have never lived there. I read that all the time on DL. I don't doubt that it's become more sanitized, more commercialized, but it's so big and has so many different areas and neighborhoods, can ALL the edge and what old school NYC residents loved about really be gone?

by Anonymousreply 5205/04/2013

R51 I don't care to waste cash on property taxes, gardeners and roof repairs.

Some people prefer to live modestly and invest the rest.

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2013

Sometimes people are not happy no matter where they live.

They are always looking for some place "better" more "interesting." But it is not the place, it is them.

by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2013

OP, it seems like things are radically shifting for lots of people this year. Especially this Spring. Maybe it's time to try someplace else? It doesn't matter how great a city might be. Sometimes you're just meant to try a different place. How about Amsterdam? Or California?

Since this is anonymous, and for the sake of non-NYers, would you mind sharing your square footage and rent? I'm so curious...

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2013

I agree, R54; it's obvious OP is a malcontent. 35 years isn't nearly long enough to have given the city an honest try.

by Anonymousreply 5605/04/2013

Well, OP, there are quite a few bridges around Manhattan you can jump off from, so this has worked out very well for you.

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2013

R52, there are definitely lots of parasites and leeches around here. They just take and take but give nothing. I know so many of these people socially and they are usually from out of town who are trying to make it in the arts/music scene but are dirt poor.

I had a temp gig working at this bar and this particular bar mgmt was asleep at the wheel, my co-worker thought he was a rock god and gave free drinks to his similarly deluded friends all day long. They get free drinks and yet they don't even tip. But they have the cash to get nasty tattoos of the devil or satanic symbols and their postings on FB are so fucking ridiculous, fucking cliches.

by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2013

OP, I am sure when you move somewhere else, THEN you will be happy.

by Anonymousreply 5905/04/2013

[quote] I just switched jobs to Jersey City, and plan on moving to a small town in Jersey. Good riddance!

Ha! Wait until you drive in New Jersey on their insane toll highways. Or drive down Rt 22 in Union, where every store straddles a highway with no lights. You take your life in your hand because you literally have to shoot into traffic to get out of the parking lots. You'll be raying for hte subway.

by Anonymousreply 6005/04/2013

And every day some go away.

by Anonymousreply 6105/04/2013

So it's like living somewhere new OP, since none of your old friends are places are there. Start exploring the city as a newbie.

by Anonymousreply 6205/04/2013

All you cuntresses need is some good dick.

by Anonymousreply 6305/04/2013

I wouldn't live in nyc for 2 minutes. Expensive, crowded, full of "new yorkers", terrorist target, terrible weather, concrete jungle.

by Anonymousreply 6405/04/2013

Too many NYC'ers here in St Augustine as it is.

Please move to Boston in the springtime.

by Anonymousreply 6505/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.