Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Criterion Collection

Does anyone buy the titles anymore?

Years ago, releases of "Picnic at Hanging Rock" and "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" thrilled me. There were some down periods. Recently, Criterion released "Badlands."

I have a love of great 1970s films, ones that were award-worthy despite many a wasted selections (nominations and winners alike) from the Academy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 5508/27/2014

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

Not all of them, but their restoration process is unsurpassed. Case in point, Rosemary's Baby.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

They are actually worth buying.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

Fanny and Alexandre was done very well by Criterion. I would buy again.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

I am awaiting their semi-annual 1/2 price sale at Barnes and Noble.

Those titles keep me happy for hours. On my wish list are the blu-rays of :

Ministry of Fear

3:10 To Yuma

On The Waterfront

Babbette's Feast

Richard III

Things To Come

and probably a few more I will see when I get to the store.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

I didn't know there was such a sale, R5. Do you know when it will be this year?

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

Usually June r6.

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

Harold and Maude is now out on Criterion Blu Ray . . . a most excellent restoration.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

The Veronica Lake-Fredric March film I MARRIED A WITCH looks like it will be released by Criterion in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 905/05/2013

Although half the fun of Criterion is owning the packaging and the extra features, Hulu Plus has many movies that are part of the Collection. Classic, rare, foreign, and art house movies that are exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 1005/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1105/05/2013

Agree -I really love the extra features and superb restoration.

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

that is all

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

As long as there are movie buffs, they will be in business. I follow them on Twitter where they advertise these occasional sales directly from their website and they run out of stock before the sale is even over. So, yes, I think they're doing fine. Some of their older releases fetch hefty prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

The initial, long out-of-print release of Salo once sold for over $1,000 on Amazon Marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

[quote]I am awaiting their semi-annual 1/2 price sale at Barnes and Noble.

That sale is going on right now.

I received word from an e-mail by Criterion.

[bold]50% off at Barnes & Noble[/bold]

Dear Criterion collectors,

Today, Barnes & Noble kicks off a special sale on all Criterion Collection products. If you shop at Barnes & Noble online or in stores through July 29, you will get 50% off all our titles, on both Blu-ray and DVD.

It’s a great opportunity to catch up on recent releases—including exciting special editions of some of the greatest films from around the world, such as [italic]Badlands[/italic], [italic]The Life of Oharu[/italic], [italic]Marketa Lazarová[/italic], [italic]Medium Cool[/italic], [italic]Monsieur Verdoux[/italic], [italic]On the Waterfront[/italic], [italic]Repo Man[/italic], [italic]Safety Last![/italic], [italic]Shoah[/italic], and [italic]Things to Come[/italic]—and to pick up some of the titles you’ve been meaning to add to your collection.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2013

I love the Criterion Collection! I usually do wait for sales ... picked up Blow Out, Rosemary's Baby and House the last time Amazon dropped the prices.

by Anonymousreply 1907/11/2013

I am buying them today!

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

Since it goes through July 29, I will be able to get

half-off on their July 23 release date!

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

Bill Hader on some of the Criterion Collection titles . . .

by Anonymousreply 2207/15/2013

"Sweet Movie" is a waste of a Criterion title as is Catherine Breillat's "Fat Girl."

by Anonymousreply 2307/15/2013

Just last week I bought the Criterion Collection "Night of the Hunter." It included two and a half hours of outtakes featuring Charles Laughton and the actors.

by Anonymousreply 2407/15/2013

[quote] Since it goes through July 29

Now extended through August 5th

by Anonymousreply 2507/15/2013

Oh R15... you are a delight.

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2013

Bought ROSEMARY'S BABY, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (b&w British 1950's version of Titanic), THE RED SHOES and DAYS OF HEAVEN

by Anonymousreply 2707/15/2013

Criterion, PLEASE pick up the rights (I know the music rights are complicated) for LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR!!

by Anonymousreply 2807/15/2013

Does anyone here post on the Criterion Forum? OMG when Criterion releases a film they do not feel worthy - as in the likely release of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World they are the bitchiest! Poor Stanley Kramer (that film's director) got crucified.

by Anonymousreply 2907/16/2013

What do you think about Halloween release of the Uninvited?

by Anonymousreply 3010/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 3110/27/2013

You bitches have to watch Fröken Julie! I have no idea why this Swedish masterpiece isn't better known. It's ten times better than most overrated crap Bergman's ever made.

by Anonymousreply 3210/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2014

They rarely get the original artwork and most, if not all of their original artwork sucks, like "Nashville". "Rosemary's Baby" they used the original and it's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2014

Y Tu Mama Tambien has been released on Criterion and Tootsie is coming in November.

by Anonymousreply 3508/23/2014

"All That Jazz" next week. "Y Tu' for sale for $19.99 on amazon. Half priced Criterion on Best for those who missed Barnes and Nobel sale.

They are getting more commercial (and more affordable) but I remain a huge Criterion fan/snob.*

by Anonymousreply 3608/23/2014

R36, thanks for the heads up about the half off sale at Best Buy!

by Anonymousreply 3708/23/2014

I just bought Nashville, Rosemary's Baby, and Y Tu Mama Tambien from Best Buy's sale.

by Anonymousreply 3808/23/2014

All three great choices and great packaging (remember these are now DVD/Blu Ray packs with both so more expensive in general). You're welcome as to the alert, a friend posted it on Facebook and I was thrilled. Had no idea any other company, especially down and out Best Buy, even SOLD Criterion besides the bookstore.

by Anonymousreply 3908/23/2014

[quote]Does anyone here post on the Criterion Forum? OMG when Criterion releases a film they do not feel worthy - as in the likely release of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World they are the bitchiest! Poor Stanley Kramer (that film's director) got crucified.

How dare they release both the long and short versions of a well-loved American comedy that speaks volumes about the nature of human greed and was Ethel Merman's consolation prize for not getting to do the film of [italic]Gypsy[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 4008/23/2014

Watched Criterion Mad, Mad, Mad World, good restored original version. Absolutely worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 4108/23/2014

r28 I agree with you about Looking For Mr. Goodbar. I have kept my eyes open for years looking for it. I always wondered why it wasn't at least on Blu Ray and that it would be a perfect candidate for a Criterion release. You are correct about the music rights, I was looking at the song list and it has a lot of big songs. Do any DL'er know how this works? Do the film producers have the rights for all formats or is this something that has to be re negotiated with each new release or format?

by Anonymousreply 4208/23/2014

[quote] Do the film producers have the rights for all formats or is this something that has to be re negotiated with each new release or format?

No. They would need to be re-negotiated with each new format release. Music rights are typically never negotiated in perpetuity, so they would expire after so many years and would need to be re-negotiated, or the material replaced with other music.

by Anonymousreply 4308/23/2014

[quote] Do the film producers have the rights for all formats or is this something that has to be re negotiated with each new release or format?

I should update my previous post that, once home videos became available, the producers/studio would have negotiated rights for at least the initial video release. But for titles produced prior to there being such a thing as home video, those rights would need to be negotiated after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 4408/23/2014

I'd love to see Far From Heaven added to the Criterion Collection.

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2014

[quote]Music rights are typically never negotiated in perpetuity

This needs to change.

by Anonymousreply 4608/24/2014

Never gonna happen, R46. The artists won't sign away their right to continue to make money off of their compositions (and neither will their families once the estate is involved).

by Anonymousreply 4708/24/2014

Still waiting for them to release the uncensored The Devils. They kept announcing it for awhile but keep pulling it back.

by Anonymousreply 4808/24/2014

It would ruin Goodbar of they got rid of the original music soundtrack.

The music made the film.

by Anonymousreply 4908/24/2014

Hulu Plus has pretty much most of the Criterion titles. It is the only reason I subscribe.

by Anonymousreply 5008/24/2014

I had no idea that Maurice wasn't even available on Blu-Ray, and is apparently is not widely available on DVD (it's $84.99 for a new copy on Amazon). This needs to be a Criterion priority.

by Anonymousreply 5108/26/2014

Criterion should do all the Merchant-Ivory films.

by Anonymousreply 5208/27/2014

Criterion DID all the Merchant-Ivory films (including MAURICE) but their license agreement with the films' rights-holders expired in 2012 and that's why all those titles are OOP and expensive to find.

I don't know who, if anyone, is handling those titles now. Perhaps they've gone into limbo, as have so many DVDs issued in the past and now out of print. And with blu-ray the newest format, it's unlikely those OOP DVDs will return to print, and those titles in limbo (like Merchant-Ivory films) are unlikely to see blu-ray releases without a distributor (like Criterion) to do the work.

Maybe the newly revitalized Kino Lorber (now handling mainstream 20th Century American titles in addition to their silents and foreign films), will pick up the Merchant-Ivory catalog for distribution on DVD and/or blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 5308/27/2014

Are the music rights holding up the airing of GOODBAR on TV, too?

by Anonymousreply 5408/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!