Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coming off a diet...

Hey there-

Coming off of a diet where I lost 30 lbs (was only moderately overweight, was all I really needed) and I think I look and feel great. I did it through good old fashioned calorie counting and also cutting out sugar, which I will continue to do.

That said, I'd like to start going out to eat again rather than just preparing my own stuff and living off of things where I knew the exact calories. I live in Manhattan, after all. Does anyone know how I can begin to estimate the calories in things I'd get in a restaurant? I love the livestrong app for weight loss and I am going to continue entering stuff in it as I continue my maintenance!

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

Didn't Dame Bloomberg decree that all restaurants in NYC must show calorie counts and nutritional info?

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

Chain restaurants, r1.

Other than le pain quotidien and starbucks, I don't really go to those.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

Congrats. Out of curiosity, how old are you and what was your start weight? How long did it take you?

As far as calorie counting while eating out.. it isn't too difficult. Most places, especially chains, will have the Nutritional Information listed. You can also just do a search online. Tons of sites with pretty accurate caloric information on restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

I'm not talking about chains that post. If I want to go to a decent italian place and get a plate of pasta.

I'm 39, it took me 5 months.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

Did you exercise or just cut calories, I ask because I'm doing a diet too.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

Look up the menu online before you go. Then count the estimated calories of the combined ingredients for what you think you will order. Also you can order something, eat half and take the rest home if you have maxed out your calories for the day.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

It's difficult. You can't really know the calories. At best it's an estimate. I got a veggie/avocado/cheese wrap once at the deli and I spent 3 or 4 minutes looking at it and discussing it with my partner. A lady passed by and said in passing "just count it as 300 calories" but it could have been 200 or 400. So counting calories is not sustainable for long. Trust me, I recorded every calorie for a year and lost 40 lbs. I'm totally bored with it and am going back to old habits.

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

This is not a New York board so please take this conversation elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.