Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Propagating plants

Do you have a green thumb? I'm specifically interested in clipping a small twig off another tree and have it develop roots and grow. What's the secret? I've tried rooting hormone and it just dies anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2013

Some plants can propagate this way, some not. Are you sure you've got a plant that can spread this way?

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

What tree are you trying to propogate, OP?

Propagation depends on such things as the type of tree, the time of year, the length/age of the twig. In addition, you need to have an appropriate container, soil and conditions.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 305/05/2013

Make sure you get rooting powder, it will help the cutting grow.

by Anonymousreply 405/05/2013

I am a bit perplexed, OP. Your reference to "another tree" suggests that you are a tree.

Assuming, though, that what you meant is that you want to take a cutting from one tree and have it eventually grow into another, try Cornus kousa. If their branches get close enough to the ground, the branches send out roots on their own.

by Anonymousreply 505/05/2013

If you could propagate any tree, what kind of tree would you propagate?

by Anonymousreply 605/05/2013

My cousin recently shared three gardenias with me using "brick propagation."

She put a brick over three lower branches for a few week until roots started to grow.

Easy and effective.

by Anonymousreply 705/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

I've got a green thumbs green thumb, but without knowing what species you are trying to propagate, I cannot help you. Make sure that whatever it is you are trying to root can in fact be propagated via cuttings. Some plants are difficult or impossible to propagate via cuttings. You need to give us a name, OP. For most TREES, seeds are more reliable a means of increasing stock, but not always. What type of tree is it? If possible, give both the Latin AND the common name.

Keep in mind seedlings of trees can grow very fast, faster than you might think. Seedlings are usually the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

Cut just after a bud, and strip all leaves/flowers off.

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

If you're too stupid to know what kind of tree it is, then you can't do the smart thing -- googling "propagation" and the name of the tree.

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

If only there were someplace where you could type in a request for tree propagation information and then be presented with pages of information from gardening sites around the world... Sort of like a "world wide web of information"

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

I've succeeded in rooting things like mint, for friends, in water alone. Just cover the cup in Saran Wrap with a rubber band. My nasty friends say it works for cannabis, too. As long as you have a fresh, green branch.

Once this worked with a shoot of Cestrum nocturnum (night-blooming jasmine).

I've had little luck with woodier plants. I've rooted Camellia japonica in perlite and water in a greenhouse with high humidity but have never succeded with Gardenia jasminoides.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2013

[quote] My nasty friends

I wonder what they think of you...

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2013

Sorry, r10, but there is much more to it than that.

r12 does have the right idea, if the wrong attitude. Yes, OP, do a search on the plant name and propagation. You will surely find the info that you seek. And, please, post the name of the tree.

r13,good heavens mint! How that stuff spreads!

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!