Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pulling out the wisdom teeth

Most people have it pulled out, but I don't get why people do this. Yes, they don't have any function, but so what? Why not leave it there. Imagine the amount of traumatic pain people go through after having their wisdom teeth pulled out.

by Anonymousreply 6805/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

I had all pulled at the same time. It was a painful experience when the drugs wore off.

Had them pulled because it was a constant pain on my jaw and would flame up every other montg. I feel much better now.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

My grandmother's wisdom teeth "came in" when she was in her 80s.

You shouldn't do anything if you're not experiencing pain or shifting of teeth.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

All four of mine were impacted, caused pain and were beginning to crowd my other teeth together. Having them removed was the best thing I ever did (I was 18).

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

Because wisdom teeth do not behave like other teeth in that sometimes they keep growing, so they crowd in and move other teeth around (usually making front ones crooked). Also because you can't brush back there well enough, nor floss, you most likely will get a cavity - these teeth are the most difficult to fill and impossible to root canal - so there is no reason to keep them in since it's a very small chance they will simply grow in and not give you any trouble.

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2013

My father had all four of his wisdom teeth, but my mother only had two.

I got three. All removed when I was 20.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2013

Three weeks ago a friend had a wisdom tooth pulled. Since then he's had pain. Dentist says it's Dry Socket which can take up to a month to heal. Until then he'll be on Motrin.

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013

Mine were crooked in the back, as if growing in opposite directions of where the should have been. It was very difficult to floss or brush behind them because they were so far back and weirdly angled. The dentist pulled both (two seperate visits) and there was no pain. He gave me plenty of novacaine and I took Ativan to relax so the whole process was easy. I think I took one dose of regular Tylenol when I got home, it was fine. One weird thing is that as the weeks passed, little chunks of enamel or bone from the roots started making their way out. I'd feel a bump, press on it and a sharp piece of hard white material would emerge. I would just pry it out and then rinse. This went on fit weeks and actually, 2 years later, I think there is another one but I'm just leaving it since it doesn't bother me.

by Anonymousreply 805/04/2013

Get a physically large dentist. The problems are in how they are taken out. The Dentist who took mine out was about 6'4" 250 lbs. Very little problem afterwards - he was quick and brutal.

by Anonymousreply 905/04/2013

[quote]I had all pulled at the same time. It was a painful experience when the drugs wore off.

Me too. And I'm not joking when I say getting my appendix out was less painful. My mouth was throbbing for two weeks before it began to feel better, whereas I felt pretty regular again two days after my appendectomy.

by Anonymousreply 1005/04/2013

My wisdom teeth were pushing foward into my other teeth and they were horizontal instead of vertical. I had them pulled one at a time, as each one erupted through the gum. The reason for waiting for eruption is so a regular dentist could just pull them out through the opening in the gum and not have to have an oral surgeon do the extraction.

by Anonymousreply 1105/04/2013

Mine are causing me hell. I had braces which left very little space between my teeth. Then my wisdom teeth came and made everything even more tight. When your teeth are that close together they are just traps for food to decay back there if you dont floss after each and every meal. I now need to have a root canal to fix decay.

And dentists are some of the greediest crooks. Ever since I discovered the huge cavity caused by my wisdom teeth, they have all told me to get the root canal prior to getting the wisdom teeth out. It makes more sense to remove the wisdom teeth first to prevent further decay and spending more money on root canals.

by Anonymousreply 1305/04/2013

OP, I was told by my oral surgeon that they tend to rot easily so without a true function it is better just to remove them.

by Anonymousreply 1405/04/2013

r13 -- " …even more tight."

Please see attached rules for comparatives and try again.

by Anonymousreply 1505/04/2013

Usually it will be pretty clear at least by your early 20s whether they are going to be a problem. If so, removing them is really a matter of old fashioned dentistry -- about as brutal as things get. An odd experience.

by Anonymousreply 1605/04/2013

Anybody had them removed under general anaesthesia? Was it a fortune? I want to be completely out when I get those fuckers removed.

by Anonymousreply 1805/04/2013

OP, the evolutionary purpose behind wisdom teeth is to provide some extra grinders around age 20 back in times when most people would've had several teeth wear down or rot out by that age. But if you have all your original adult teeth the wisdom molars won't have enough space to grow in without jacking up the rest of your grill.

I had four wisdoms. They were impacted so they needed to come out even if I'd had enough room in my mouth to accommodate them, which I did not. I opted for an IV anesthetic so I'd be totally unconscious during the procedure and everything went well. Had minimal pain afterwards (and I have a very, very low pain tolerance) and the only bad part of the experience was the boredom of sitting around in bed for a week on painkillers (they made me dizzy and headachey if I tried to read, watch TV or listen to music).

by Anonymousreply 2005/04/2013

R18 I was under intravenous anesthesia and was knocked completely out before they began. I had insurance, and I'm not sure how much it all would've cost without insurance, but the total procedure with IV anesthesia was $170.

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2013

All four were impacted. They came in sideways. Having them taken out wasn't that bad. It was the recovery that sucked. The painkillers the dentist gave me nauseated me, resulting in dry heaves while my jaw was throbbing in pain.

by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2013

If we didn't need wisdom teeth, God would not have given them to us. To pull them out is in open defiance of God.

by Anonymousreply 2305/04/2013

I haven't had mine removed yet, and one side of my jaw is killing me. :(

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2013

Untreated painless wisdom teeth infections have now been linked to heart disease, even heart attacks.

Plus many other reasons listed

by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2013

Go to an oral surgeon if you can. I had mine removed by an OS at 20. No problems. He gave me Percocet for the recovery. So I spent my college Xmas break high as a kite on the sofa doing crossword puzzles and watching Friends and ER. My college roommate had dry sockets, which seemed like a nightmare. She was in a lot of pain and they would only give her Motrin.

by Anonymousreply 2605/04/2013

Many people die from getting their wisdom teeths pulled. Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2013

I had all four pulled at once because they were all impacted. The pain wasn't that bad at all. My only complication was the pain meds. They made me violently ill, so badly that I had to go to the ER. I just took four Advil the rest of the time to take the edge off the pain. I'd make the worst junky!

by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2013

My dentist discovered a crack in my lower left one a couple of years ago; it hadn't been bothering me at all. Although expensive, I had it crowned at his recommendation. I later asked why he didn't pull it (thinking cynically of the cost difference) to which he replied that it was still an otherwise healthy tooth, and that it was very firmly rooted in, so an extraction would've been difficult for him, and no fun for me. My upper right one anchors a fixed bridge; if it were pulled, I'd need to get an implant in the vacant space next to it.

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013

I had two pulled out in my 20s, both on the same side.

The two on other side gave me some pain during the years, but oddly it all went away in my 30s. I think some dentists are too quick in advising to have them all pulled out.

by Anonymousreply 3005/04/2013

Is that where the dentist goes up in the mouth?

by Anonymousreply 3105/04/2013

I have all 4 wisdom teeth, no crowding, impacting, nada. Dentist just says wow u have 4 of your wisdom teeth! In my 30's. Never an issue.

by Anonymousreply 3205/04/2013

I had three that were impacted, actually growing in horizontally. Considering the misery I had wearing braces, I was not about to let something screw my teeth up and have me looking like a hillbilly. The 4th one broke when I bit into an olive pit, so it had to come out as well.

by Anonymousreply 3305/04/2013

I'm really surprised at the range of pain experiences here. As I mentioned I only remember taking one dose of Tylenol after my first extraction and maybe none at all after my second. Maybe they just came out easy, I don't remember him struggling too much and I don't think either tooth cracked when he did his work. He never offered me any narcotics and I didn't even think of asking for any. I followed his post-procedure instructions and never developed dry socket either.

Ask me about my hernia or hemorrhoid surgeries though, I was such a pussy for the pain and stayed in bed for days on Vicodin and Toradol.

by Anonymousreply 3405/04/2013

I dont recall much pain after the first 12 hours as well. Of course that didnt stop me from filling the Vicodin 'script. Good Times!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3505/04/2013

Let this serve as a warning.

I had perfect teeth, I had a small gap at the time (it's a cultural thing, which I like) but otherwise straight and perfectly spaced. When I was around 16, they did x-rays and saw I had two teeth coming in on each side. They took out 4 teeth. There was a huge gap in the gum area for several years and not only that when it finally DID heal, my teeth shifted from those teeth being gone. So now my gap grew to twice it's size and my perfect bottom teeth have started to push together (you can't see it but I can feel it). I went and they're like, "Yeah, your oral surgeon/dentist should've told you you'd need replacements". They're $2,000 a pop and I'd need FOUR. They'd shave down my teeth to a point to make a place for the replacements to go.

I already had TMJD, my jaw still locks up and has gotten temporarily stuck (seconds) to where I have to grind the bones together to get it back into place, which is painful. So that surprise ailment I've been dealing with has been compounded, now I need braces. I had perfect teeth all these years to now have these issues (no insurance) because dentists told me I needed wisdom teeth, which weren't hurting anything, out. They said I needed two more out, which I said NO and let them grow in. Now I just have two new teeth and zero problems from them after they grew in (when they're first growing in it feels funny).

by Anonymousreply 3605/04/2013

[quote]I had four taken out. Unpleasant, but not as bad as these pussies are blubbering that it is. Try childbirth, you pussies. by: Instead of pussy, the cowardly should be called dick.

I had all 4 pulled out and I don't recall any pain. I was immediately able to go back to eating nails and staples for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2013

Does voluntary mean it doesn't hurt?

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2013

I had them out under general anesthesia. I don't think they do it any other way. I had dental coverage at work, but I saw the bill at $1650.

by Anonymousreply 3905/04/2013

I was put under r18. I was so nervous, it was the first time I was going to be knocked out. They put a heart monitor on me, and to my slight embarrassment, my heart was beating like crazy. They made fun of me, damn dentist assistants.

It was so quick, I don't remember going under and was surprised when they stared to wake me. I've never felt so groggy. Had trouble holding my head up. Couldn't drive but luckily I had my mommy with me.she drove me home.

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2013

I wore braces for three years to fix teeth that only became crooked after wisdom teeth (that I waited too long to get pulled) pushed other teeth out of place.

Get your wisdom teeth pulled before they mess up your mouth!

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2013

Mine started to weaken, so I had them pulled. I guess, all way way in the back of my mouth they were just not being used in any way and deteriorated.

by Anonymousreply 4205/04/2013

I had four impacted wisdom teeth in my mid-teens. There wasn't enough space for them to come in, and they were starting to put pressure on other teeth, so I had them extracted by an oral surgeon.

It was a surreal experience because the extraction was done with what looked like a hammer, chisel, and pliers. He broke through to the impacted teeth with hammer and chisel, and then pulled out the shattered bits with pliers. His white sleeves were spattered with gore.

I didn't get upset at the time because I was on laughing gas the whole time. I had taken some kind of painkiller as well. The wounds were painful because he had applied so much pressure during the procedure, but I healed quickly and missed only one day of high school (Friday).

by Anonymousreply 4305/04/2013

[quote]I guess, all way way in the back of my mouth they were just not being used in any way and deteriorated.

I guess, all way way in the back of my mouth they were just not being [bold]brushed[/bold] in any way and deteriorated.

FIFY, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4405/04/2013

OP sounds like she's from Mumbai.

by Anonymousreply 4505/04/2013

I got hammered and chiseled too, r43.

This, AFTER he used both hands to grip the dental pliers and braced himself by putting his knee on my chest for leverage.

SWEAR TO BUDDHA!

I didn't much care he was doing this and remember thinking, "I am going to have a hell a story after this is over!"

Sodium pentothal has a way of making everything "no big deal" as one of its big effects.

I was awake but feeling no pain and just DID NOT CARE -- ha-ha!

by Anonymousreply 4605/04/2013

I had 5 wisdom teeth pulled out. Somehow I had a freaky little extra one growing in. I had a friend wait for me afterwards but I felt well enough afterwards to go grocery shopping immediately after before going home. The next morning - no pain, no swelling, no bruising. The only discomfort or any inconvenience I had afterwards was just making sure I had no food settle in to the cavities where my wisdom teeth were.

In all honesty, my wisdom extractions were a breeze

by Anonymousreply 4705/04/2013

The only one I had pulled out was kind of loose, so my dentist suggested getting rid of it. It came off easily with a topical anesthetic. No blood, no mess, and one hour later it was like nothing happened, except now I had a vacant spot where the blooming wisdom tooth once stood.

Funny thing is my dentist did give it to me as a souvenir and the damn root was huge!

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2013

[quote]I had 5 wisdom teeth pulled out. Somehow I had a freaky little extra one growing in.

Mutant!

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2013

I had my gall bladder out a couple years ago. Not memorable, really, no pain.

My impacted wisdom teeth? OMFG, the worst thing ever. Sharp, piercing pain for MONTHS.

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2013

Impacted wisdom teeth can be prone to developing cysts and tumors around them that can eat away the surrounding jawbone.

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2013

Wisdom tooth removal has become a huge racket in the United States. Most wisdom teeth do not need to be pulled, but oral surgeons have cooked up bogus rationales for extraction that have no basis in science. In most cases, wisdom teeth should be left alone. Americans are the most overdiagnosed, overdrugged, and overtreated people on the planet and their health is suffering mightily for it.

by Anonymousreply 5205/04/2013

I got mine removed because they were starting to squish my other teeth together. I loved the drugs for the pain. Only time I've gotten high in my life. Loved it! Totally understand why people develop drug habits. That shit is fun.

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2013

I've spoken to the parents of several young people who died during or soon after a wisdom tooth extraction. I've also talked to young people who have suffered permanent nerve damage from extractions. In none of those cases were the teeth removed because they were giving the patients any pain or trouble. They were removed "prophylactically"--they might cause complications down the road.

by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2013

All four in, no problem, minor crowding but nothing British.

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2013

I had to have mine out at 22 to get into the Peace Corps. All 4 were growing sideways against the tooth next to it. Was not a pleasant way to spend spring break senior year.

by Anonymousreply 5605/04/2013

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out because I needed the money from the tooth fairy to pay my rent.

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2013

Please, OP.

It's no big deal I had to give a speech in my college class the very next day.

by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2013

I was forced to get my wisdom teeth pulled 10 years ago, my first year as an officer in the Air Force. They said the reason they had to be pulled is because my wisdom teeth were growing in sideways and they could become impacted, causing further problems in the future.

Ultimately, I'm kind of pissed I had to get it done because the dentist severed a nerve and I lost feeling in one quartile of my lips/gums.

by Anonymousreply 5905/04/2013

[43] mine were like yours. Did you dentist sliced your gums open and pull them down so they can find the impacted teeth? Mine did. My heart literally hurt.

by Anonymousreply 6005/04/2013

I only had two on the bottom and both were impacted. At 22 I had them pulled. That was fine. But, at the time I was a smoker and apparently smoked the blood clots right out of the places where the teeth were. Getting the dry sockets fixed was the worst pain I have ever experienced.

by Anonymousreply 6105/05/2013

No one else had big bruises on their face and jaw like I did? Apart from that, some of these stories could be mine. I woke after a general anaesthetic, the first of my life, and then had to use serious painkillers for the first time in my life. Like someone said upthread, I understand now why people take drugs because I spent a week feeling spacy and pleasantly tired. I couldn't concentrate enough to read or watch the DVDs I'd picked out, so I watched more TV than I ever thought possible.

And yeah, developed these matching bruises on my jawline. I really hate to think what kind of pressure caused them. No one else had this?

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2013

So I haven't gotten mine yet, at 34. What are the chances I will still get them?

by Anonymousreply 6305/05/2013

Dentists seem to recommend removal of wisdom teeth these days. I have two kids, both in their 20's now, and both had their wisdom teeth out in their teens due to the teeth being impacted. When my son had his out, he bled all over the pillow the first night which freaked me out. Ten years later, he admitted that he ate popcorn (!) after having the surgery. Ah, the wisdom of a 17 year old boy!

I had all mine out when I was in my 20's but they were not impacted so it was not a big deal, except the first one was rather painful. I was young and broke and went to a dental school clinic. The dental student had trouble giving the novocaine shot so I got way too many jabs and my jaw was sore for several days after. It only cost $6 though!

I would recommend for anyone getting wisdom teeth removed, do not use a general anesthetic as it is far more risky than a local.

by Anonymousreply 6405/05/2013

Mine came in, caused crowding and were difficult to clean. Removing them made sense. I don't want my teeth to rot.

by Anonymousreply 6505/05/2013

The key is a clean pull. If you get a dentist who fiddles too much, they can break causing real problems. The breakage risk is even higher for a regular extraction of an infected tooth.

by Anonymousreply 6605/05/2013

Mine were painful and causing problems. This is why most people do it.

You sound dumb, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6705/05/2013

easy. no pain. didn't need the meds after.

by Anonymousreply 6805/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.