Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rat meat sold as lamb in latest China food scandal

BEIJING (AP) -- Chinese police have broken up a criminal ring accused of taking meat from rats and foxes and selling it as lamb in the country's latest food safety scandal.

The Ministry of Public Security released results of a three-month crackdown on food safety violators, saying in a statement that authorities investigated more than 380 cases and arrested 904 suspects.

Among those arrested were 63 people who allegedly ran an operation in Shanghai and the coastal city of Wuxi that bought fox, mink, rat and other meat that had not been tested for quality and safety, processed it with additives like gelatin and passed it off as lamb.

The meat was sold to farmers' markets in Jiangsu province and Shanghai, it said.

Despite years of food scandals — from milk contaminated with an industrial chemical to the use of industrial dyes in eggs — China has been unable to clean up its food supply chain.

The announcement came as China's top court on Friday issued guidelines calling for harsher punishment for making and selling unsafe food products in the latest response to tainted food scandals that have angered the public.

The Supreme People's Court said the guidelines will list as crimes specific acts such as the sale of food excessively laced with chemicals or made from animals that have died from disease or unknown causes.

China's penal code, which forbids unsafe and poisonous food, does not specify what acts are considered in violation of the law.

Adulterating baby food so that it severely lacks nutrition is also punishable as a crime under the guidelines. Negligent government food inspectors are also targeted for criminal punishment.

The supreme court said 2,088 people have been prosecuted in 2010-2012 in 1,533 food safety cases. It said the number of such cases has grown exponentially in the past several years. For example, Chinese courts prosecuted 861 cases of poisonous food in 2012, compared to 80 cases in 2010.

"The situation is really grave and has indeed caused great harm to the people," Pei Xianding, a supreme court judge, told a news conference.

"We cannot tolerate it any longer. We must punish the criminals severely, or we cannot answer to our people," Pei said.

by Anonymousreply 5105/27/2013

Disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

I didn't realize that there was any meat they considered too awful (offal?) to eat.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

We really should isolate them from the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

Rather than their constant worry about the internet, maybe they should be paying more attention to the food producers.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

Some British scientist said yesterday of the Chinese "They are blind with ambition but lack even the most basic common sense", and he's right.

He made this statement after China revealed that the current strain of dangerous, incurable flu, which is a hybrid of both bird flu and the deadly H1N1 flu that killed so many in 2009, was likely from their second most secure national lab where it was made and being tested to help "cure" other versions of flu.

John Huntsman, a repub but the former U.S. ambassador to China for President Obama said last year, flatly, that the Chinese are not, and do not want to be our friends. Everything they do is with the intent of trumping and eventually conquering the U.S. and later, Western Europe.

I believe him. Everything about them repulses me.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

You really can't grasp how horrible they are until you live there. I was fairly well traveled before moving to China and was not prepared for them. A truly savage, barbaric race that would rather lie to you than look at you.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

And this is the country that will soon become the new superpower?

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

yes, the love to lie

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

[quote]the Chinese are not, and do not want to be our friends. Everything they do is with the intent of trumping and eventually conquering the U.S. and later, Western Europe.

It's true. But the US, and the other Western governments (government and corporate "leaders") are so corrupt that they don't care. They truly do not care what happens to their own countries. They are making quick bucks by selling out their countries to China and they really do not care about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2013

they say most vitamins are now made in China. I wonder what is really in them?

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

PEOPLE

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

R10. When I was an investigator the first rule was never ask a question to which you do not know the answer. Take that advice and read the labels for manufacture location.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

R7, they will definitely be, and are an economic power. Though some economists have speculated that so much of their economic growth has been built on sand, because it's happened so quickly, that it will eventually burst, like the Western housing bubble a few years ago.

They'll continue to be a power, as well as military power. But at best they will only be an equal to the U.S., maybe trumping the Americans in some areas. The media loves to hype the "rising China" but the truth is, the U.S. is also a gigantic country that continues to out-innovate China, even if they are horrible at managing their debt.

Expect China to be the new USSR to the USA, only China will have an economy to back it up. Being the lone world superpower will never happen because the rest of the world would have too much to lose. Even the Russians mistrust the Chinese.

That said, I lived and worked there a while myself. The people can be very, very sweet and lovely. It's their government I fear, and their crazed ambition and lack of even an ounce of respect for humanity as a whole and human like. They have a hive mentality.

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2013

New Report: China’s Food Exports to the United States Triple in 10 Years

Washington, D.C. – While Europe suffers from a “super toxic” E. coli outbreak, a national advocacy group warns that potentially unsafe food from China could provide the next food safety scare in the United States. Whether it’s frozen or canned produce, seafood, candy, vitamins, or any type of processed food, these products or their ingredients increasingly come from China, where food manufacturers are legendary for cutting corners, substituting dangerous ingredients, and compromising safety in order to boost sales. Officials there have publically acknowledged their inability to regulate the country’s sprawling food production sector and last week China’s highest court even recommended stiffer penalties—including death—for those found violating food safety regulations.

China’s food exports to the U.S. have tripled over the past decade to nearly 4 billion pounds of food in 2010, worth nearly $5 billion. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration prevented over 9,000 unsafe products from entering the country between 2006 and 2010, but with a less than 2 percent inspection rate on imported food, countless other unsafe products no doubt entered the U.S. food system, the group warns.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

R12, they usually do not list where it was manufactured

they will say manufactured "for" the US company, but not where or by who

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

If it doesn't say made in, don't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

"Almost all vitamin C sold in the United States is from China. They also produce 50 percent of the world's aspirin and 35 percent of all Tylenol. Since the United States does not require country-of-origin labels for any of our drugs, foods or supplements, there is no telling where that vitamin you are taking came from."

US govt + Corporations + China. They're all in it together to screw you.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2013

Rats on the subway was bad enough!

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2013

The Office of the United States Trade Representative announced that it would not appeal a World Trade Organization decision that held the U.S. could not prohibit the importation of Chinese poultry products. Ironically, on the same day this data was released, a survey divulged one of the biggest concerns among Chinese consumers: food safety.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2013

Yeah, never trust the commie bastards! They do not give a shit about rules, they will sell their mothers if they could in order to make a buck.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2013

If you eat Made in China meat products, chances are extremely high you have eaten Rat meat, Dog Meat or Cat meat already.

Welcome to reality. Turn it over, see where it is made or close your eyes and enjoy the Chinese food product.

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2013

R21, did you see this: "the United States does not require country-of-origin labels for any of our drugs, foods or supplements"

you have eaten Made in China and will eat it again

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2013

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2013

Sweet and Sour Rat Balls anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2013

[quote]Yeah, never trust the commie bastards! They do not give a shit about rules, they will sell their mothers if they could in order to make a buck.

Ronald Reagan returns from death to post on DL.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2013

It has nothing to do with communism. It is actually the opposite, China embracing free market capitalism, which is responsible.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2013

Qu'elle surprise!

It's no wonder most of the flu bugs originate in that part of the world. when you've got a billion plus people grubbing around cheek by jowl with huge numbers of chickens and pigs.

by Anonymousreply 2705/03/2013

If the fucking GOP doesn't believe in regulations, then why do they bitch and whine about Chinese-made products?

by Anonymousreply 2805/03/2013

Want to read something really scary?

(Chinese made car brakes and tires)

by Anonymousreply 2905/03/2013

The Whole Foods 365 brand of frozen vegetables come from China. Their workers were trying to get that changed recently. Trader Joes has been scaling way back on Chinese imports after the dog food thing. Almost all dried cherries come from China now.

by Anonymousreply 3005/03/2013

Ever see the frozen vegetables called "Europe's Best"? Guess where they really come from.

by Anonymousreply 3105/03/2013

More than 85 percent of the seafood consumed by Americans is imported, with much of it coming from China, Vietnam, and various other Asian countries that have a not-so-consistent track record of food safety. And as it turns out, conditions at many of the foreign facilities where imported seafood is processed before getting shipped to the states are so filthy and contaminated that if consumers knew just how bad things really were, they would likely think twice before buying that pack of scallops or shrimp from the grocery store.

As reported by Bloomberg, workers at Ngoc Sinh Seafoods Trading & Processing Export Enterprise in Vietnam were recently seen hauling plastic baskets of shrimp through the company's filthy, trash-ridden, and bug-infested facility. Containers full of the shrimp were loaded up with ice made from questionable, and often contaminated, tap water that the government recommends boiling before use, which has become the norm rather than the exception when it comes to seafood processing.

Many Chinese seafood farmers feed their fish animal waste

Similar unsanitary conditions are common throughout China as well, which is a major exporter of tilapia and scallops. According to Bloomberg, many seafood farmers in China actually feed their fish feces from pigs, geese, and other cattle, even though the practice is extremely unsafe. Not only does this exposure to animal waste tend to make the fish sick, but it also contaminates their water environments with excrement, which is often polluted with harmful bacteria like salmonella.

"Those conditions -- ice made from dirty water, animals near the farms, pigs -- are unacceptable," said Mansour Samadpour, a microbiologist, to Bloomberg Markets magazine about the dirty secrets of the seafood trade. Samadpour's company, IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group, specializes in testing the cleanliness of water for the shellfish farming industry.

Since the seafood industry is relatively cutthroat these days, certain unscrupulous seafood farmers, particularly in Asian countries, are cutting corners to boost profits, which puts consumers at high risk. In the case of Chinese fish farming, many operators have altogether stopped purchasing safer commercial feed, and have instead turned to exclusively feeding their fish potentially deadly animal waste.

by Anonymousreply 3205/03/2013

Oh, yes. China is a superpower. China is modern. China is wise and progressive and ready to takes its part as the leading power in the world.

When it implodes, God help us all. I give it 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 3305/03/2013

You spoiled American kids.

by Anonymousreply 3405/03/2013

So, wait, you're telling me that corporations don't prioritize honesty and the health of the public?

Well, now I've heard everything.

by Anonymousreply 3505/03/2013

You're all crazy if you don't go lactose-free vegetarian after reading this

by Anonymousreply 3605/03/2013

That thing about Europes Best. They should be sued for false advertizing. That is corruption at the highest level.

by Anonymousreply 3705/03/2013

I favorite dishes are rat and horse.

by Anonymousreply 3805/03/2013

The Asian folks I know I like a lot.

Like with any group there are some great and some totally stereotypically fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 3905/03/2013

[quote]I was an investigator the first rule was never ask a question to which you do not know the answer.

If you don't ask a question, then how will you know the answer? And if you only ever ask questions that you already know the answer to, what good are you as an investigator?

by Anonymousreply 4005/03/2013

R40. Try again please.

by Anonymousreply 4105/03/2013

The Chinese are actually the worst group of people on the planet. They are human locusts. I have to wonder what Chinese people who are born/living in Western countries think of their homeland's complete disregard for every single living thing? Do they approve? Do they hope the rest of us don't notice? Are they embarrassed?

by Anonymousreply 4205/03/2013

[quote]I was an investigator the first rule was never ask a question to which you do not know the answer.

I thought that was for lawyers during trial. Don't ever ask a question to a witness on the stand that you don't already know the answer to otherwise you could end up looking like a fool when their answer refutes the point you were trying to make.

by Anonymousreply 4305/03/2013

R43. Ya, same idea.

by Anonymousreply 4405/03/2013

This makes me think of Morrissey calling the Chinese a sub-species because of how they treat animals.

by Anonymousreply 4505/03/2013

[quote]I have to wonder what Chinese people who are born/living in Western countries think of their homeland's complete disregard for every single living thing?

The same could be said about the White man. I don't see much respect for living things coming from great Whitey. Conquer, destroy, disrespect, hate. White people have set a pretty high bar.

by Anonymousreply 4605/03/2013

R46. You have to been to China

by Anonymousreply 4705/03/2013

R47, do you mean "Have you been to China"?

by Anonymousreply 4805/03/2013

R48. No. I meant "you haven't been to china"

by Anonymousreply 4905/03/2013

This is why I NEVER eat sushi from a non-Japanese owned and operated restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 5005/03/2013

Never liked Lamb, hopefully they don't sell Rat meat as chicken or fish.

by Anonymousreply 5105/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.