Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Italy about to flush itself down the toilet?

No government for a whole 6 weeks after inconclusive elections, and now, after much wrangling and haggling, they finally clobber together an (apparently) decent government majority. And what do they do? They make this homophobic, racist, anti-feminist shitstain deputy Equal Opportunities minister. I don't care how good she is at sucking Berlusconi's wizened old cock, she has no place in parliament, let alone as deputy minister.

I hope Europe, and the rest of the world, gives them a really hard time over this.

by Anonymousreply 3710/26/2014

Former velina. It seems like the only way any women associated with Berlusconi get ahead in politics.

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

[quote] they finally clobber together

Violence solves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

A country circling the drain probably has a bit more pressing things to work on.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

I'm Italian. The "funny" thing is that almost anybody talked about that and when they reported the news, they gave it two lines w/o even going into details into what she said. After all, my country is the country where a politician uttered the (in)famous : Better fascist than fag! on national public tv and the host only mildly told her off. And everybody kept doing as if nothing happened.

By the way, Italy is in the toilet for other reasons, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

They've been so obsessed with Amanda Knox that they let their country go down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

When I saw this header, I thought this thread would be about this minister:

Italy's first black minister defiant in face of racist slurs

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's first black minister has responded to a barrage of sexist and racial insults by saying she is proud to be black, not colored, and that Italy is not really a racist country.

Cecile Kyenge, an eye doctor and Italian citizen originally from Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), was named integration minister by Prime Minister Enrico Letta last Saturday, one of seven women in the new government.

Since then, she has been the subject of taunts on far-right websites, which have branded her with names such as "Congolese monkey", "Zulu" and "the black anti-Italian".

She also faced race-tinged insults from Mario Borghezio, a European parliament member of the pro-devolution Northern League, which has been allied in the past with former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

In reference to Kyenge, Borghezio called Letta's coalition a "bonga bonga government" - a play on the "bunga, bunga" antics under Berlusconi - and said she herself appeared to be "a good housewife but not a minister".

Kyenge dismissed the comments, which the speaker of the lower house Laura Boldrini labeled "racist vulgarities". Kyenge plans to push for legislation, opposed by the League, that would allow children born in Italy to immigrant parents to get automatic citizenship instead of waiting until 18 to apply.

"I arrived in Italy alone at 18 years old, and I don't believe in giving up in front of obstacles," Kyenge, who left DRC so she could pursue her studies in medicine, said.

She also rejected the term "colored" used to describe her in many Italian press reports, saying: "I am not colored, I am black and I say it with pride".

Millions of emigrants left Italy in the 19th and 20th centuries but the country has had difficulties integrating citizens from other countries who come seeking work.

Kyenge, who is married to an Italian, said she did not view Italy as a particularly racist country, and believed that hostile attitudes stem mainly from ignorance.

"Italy has a tradition of welcoming and offering hospitality towards others. We need to recognize these traditions and apply them day to day," she said.

Boldrini herself told a newspaper on Friday that she had received daily death threats online and a stream of messages containing sexually violent images.

"When a woman takes up public office, sexist aggression sets off against her, and whether simple gossip or violent...it always uses the same vocabulary of humiliation and submission," Boldrini told La Repubblica newspaper.

"We shouldn't be afraid to say that this is an underground culture, shared in some way. In my view: an emergency in Italy," she said, pointing to regular cases of Italian women being murdered or abused by men, often by husbands or partners.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

Italy didn't give a fuck about the latest Amanda Knox interview. Less than this homophobic minister. Which is something. They are too immersed in cheap shows where the talk about the murder of the day/think of the children!!! to care about anything else. Because they understood that it equals ratings.

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

Every country is going down the toilet. The world is in a big competition - who can go down the toilet first and in the most stinking disgusting way?

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

And the Italians can, in part, thank a Berlusconi dominated media for coming up with that crap TV. The little bits that I've seen seem degrading to women and just, well, stupid lowest common denominator stuff. Even worse than U.S. reality TV. Wasn't there a show where geriatrics played strip poker?

It's amazing that the leader of a party, the Prime Minister no less, can own a media monopoly in a country.

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2013

I'm the same Italian (still don't know how to include the post I reply to in my post). Anyway, r9, yes, Italian tv is trashy, as much as the US one (even if sometimes there are good shows, mostly on subscription channels or digital channels that few watch). But mind you, Berlusconi is who he is and where he is because is the typical representation of the average Italian man. Worth noticing is that many women vote for him. The problems of Italy are so deeply rooted in itself that I don't think we will ever get out of it, at least not in this generation.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

They aren't rioting are they?

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

Here is hoping they flush themselves!

Italy is the Vatican and the Vatican is Italy - aka the most anti-gay Country in the West.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

I've visited both the U.S.'s deep south and northern Italy.

Guess which area is more racist?

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2013

I love visiting Italy, but to be honest it is already down the toilet. What the Catholic church hasn't destroyed, the mafia and cynical apathy of the populace has.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

I'm the Italian. r14 explained the major issue of Italy: cynical apathy. In a nutshell, we are doomed. That's why I never,ever, suggest tourists to have more than a vacation in my country.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

I would say Italy is the Jamaica of Europe, but that is Poland.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

"cynical apathy"

isn't that rampant in the US, Canada, the UK...?

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2013

The Italian here r17. I can speak only for my country so every comparison is somewhat wrong since I didn't live in any country to assess their level of cynical apathy. I just know about them through the news, internet etc.

But I'll tell you this: the feel that you have here is that nothing will ever change, that you have in front of you a wall so high that you can't even think about climbing. Whatever you do, it will all come back to square one. All the fucking time. And the worst thing is that this is not even acknowledged, so you look like crazy if you even point it out. There is this feeling of powerlessness that is what lead even otherwise brilliant, different people to say "well, that's how things are, better do like everybody else". In other words, it all comes down to maintaining the status quo, despite the status quo being very shitty right now. Italy sucks the life out of you now, and it's been doing that for a long time now, unless you are one of the ones that already come from good money. In that case Italy is one of the most relaxing, good life countries in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2013

Most countries in our world have sold themselves to big business. When that happens, the middle class is screwed. Without a strong middle class, you have nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2013

Italy going bankrupt fast. It will be just as bad as Greece soon.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2013

Do a lot of Italians know English?

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2013

OP, before you attack the Latins please quit making definitions for words up ("clobber"), leaving you look like the Vandal you apparently are.

The rest of your execrable post identifies you as the cunt who is posting idiotic, often offensive claptrap all over the DL lately.

Once you correct your issue with made-up words, perhaps you'll want to work on finding other nasty-mouthed terms so, like a cockroach, you can scurry about more anonymously.

Or are you one of the cunts who gets off on ritualized, repetitive potty talk?

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2013

r21, well, now I'd say yes, unless you are old. Twenty-something people know English quite well.

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2013

That's really a strong description for a country that went through corrupt, revolving door prime ministers and domestic terrorism forx so long in the '70s and beyond. You'd think those times were worse...

It's curious how two countries like Spain and Italy with similar social and political backgrounds seemingly have diverged. War, fascism, domestic terrorism, poverty for wide sectors of the population, incredible sexism, and the oppressive yoke of the Catholic dogma were all part of their 20th century histories. It seems Spain has advanced more with respect to women's rights and gay rights. I think Spaniards don't take democratic process for granted after Franco's death. I'm only familiar with tv programming from TVE the national station and it's nothing to be embarrassed about, though I'm sure independent stations put out their share of junk.

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2013

I believe the verb the OP was looking for is "kludge" not "clobber."

And R24 was a response to R18, if that wasn't clear. I wrote it a while ago, got distracted and just came back to post it.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2013

The OP was obviously trying to say "cobble." Could be an autocorrect problem; let's give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2013

When she gets kicked out, she will become the next editor of the National Review.

by Anonymousreply 2705/03/2013

R22, I think OP meant cobble together. Apart from that, I don't think the rest of OP's post is "execrable," and taking objection to a homophobe being nominated to a relatively high office is hardly behaving like a Vandal [sic to the upper case, unless you mean that OP is an actual member of a 5th-century East Germanic tribe].

And I think "cunt" out-pottymouths anything in OP's post.

What's your problem, r22? Are you a closet Berlusconi admirer?

by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2013

OP here - yes, I meant "cobble" together, as in "put together hastily and with whatever you happen to have at hand". Sorry. The right word got shoved out of the way by the closest (wrong) word that sounded a lot like it :-(

Apologies also re. my potty-mouthism - I had no idea we'd become all nice and clean and sanitized all of a sudden. Will bear that in mind for other posts (especially if I have any future intercourse with the poster who said I was a cunt and a cockroach :-) ). As for accusations of "posting idiotic, often offensive claptrap all over the DL lately," sorry to disappoint. I'm restricted to a few sports threads, because I'm just that boring.

I also wanted to add that, thanks to very negative reactions to the homophobic politician, she's been moved from the Equal Opportunities ministry to Public Service. As per link, below:

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013

Wow a whole six weeks with an unresolved government.

Think how much better off we and the world would have been if we hadn't rushed the job when the Bush thugs stole the election from Gore. Six weeks, six months would have been fine.

On the other hand, the world was safe from the possibility of President Lieberman.

by Anonymousreply 3005/04/2013

To the Italian guy, what do you think of the new Letta government? Choosing Cecile Kyenge is obviously a positive step of some kind, but I can't help thinking it's just tokenism. But, it sends a sort of message of progress.

Interesting point, r24. Also, the recent King Willem-Alexander coronation do made me notice that almost all the countries of Europe with royal families have same-sex marriage (even the UK, with the most royal of royal families is sort of about to get same-sex marriage). Not that I'm a royalist of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 3105/04/2013

I would like to know if it will put pieces of paper on the seat before it flushes itself.

by Anonymousreply 3205/04/2013

Italy is already well on its way to a flush, the question at this point is, what will be left over.

by Anonymousreply 3305/04/2013

They should bring the monarchy back, if they can resolve the squabbling of who the rightful head of the House of Savoy is.

by Anonymousreply 3405/04/2013

I've been to Italy several times and it's my impression that although some older Italians are still very passionate about politics many people are not. And it seems to me that nothing changes much in Italy, no matter who is in charge.

Italians, am I right?

I'd still move there in a heartbeat. Less than a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 3505/04/2013

I'm American and gay. I've lived half my life here in Italy and the first half in the US were I was born.

I would not think of living any where else.

I'm openly gay, live in a small Tuscan city/town and never, but never, had any problems because of my sexuality.

I find the people... average people, to be, more often than not, sophisticated and attractive.

The economy is bad here, but it's always bad. Politics are a mess but they've always been a mess. But people have a great way of working around things and they genuinely know how to live and enjoy life.

I'm not here as a tourist or a wealthy person cut off from every day life. I get up every morning and go to work and live my life very much like an average Italian.

by Anonymousreply 3605/04/2013

And yet another election.

by Anonymousreply 3710/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.