Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm always sad when something ends

When Queer as Folk ended, I cried. It was almost as if I was experiencing some form of death. When my favorite childhood shows ended, I became overwhelmed with depression for a month or so. When I finished reading the last Harry Potter book, it was the same thing.

I think I have a tendency towards obsession. I think there are people out there who can like something and not like it in a morbid attached way that I like things, so what do you think of all this? Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

My freshman year of college, I was the last person to leave my floor in the dorm because I was staying for summer school. It just wasn't right, seeing the place empty except for the junk and paper people had left behind.

It still comes to mind when someone asks about sad memories, and it's been years.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

Please seek therapy, OP.

If you are also R2 - If you're still in college it may be free on campus.

I'm not being snarky or bitchy. I think you're dealing with issues that aren't all that uncommon, but you need better tools and better processes in place to deal with change and loss, and others can help you.

Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

The day I finally gave up on college after 5 years of failure, I turned to look back at the beautiful university I wasn't good enough for and bawled.

Years later I moved back to the city where the university is located. I tend to avoid driving past campus, but even after 20 years, when I catch a glimpse of my college I get that deep feeling of being about to cry that nothing else touches.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

OP keep telling yourself it was nothing but a television show created for the sole purpose of making money for people who already had more than they could spend.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

My interest in this thread has ended

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

Do not, under any circumstances, buy a cat. Or fresh flowers, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

This actually sounds like mild autism or Asberger's.

I remember reading about a young boy who would cry when he was done with a popsicle because he was sad for the popsicle stick - he would wonder where it would go to and if it was feeling lonely and abandoned.

Sounds a bit like our OP.

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2013

OP: Please ignore those who suggest you seek therapy or, God forbid, take medication. You're reactions to loss are entirely normal.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

R10, no, being "overwhelmed with depression" for a month because a TV show has ended is most certainly not normal.

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

[quote]When Queer as Folk ended, I cried. It was almost as if I was experiencing some form of death.

You are a delicate hothouse orchid.

Also, you're a woman. Gay men did not care that much about QAF--only faghags did.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

R9, you're going to laugh, but when I was a child, I felt sorry for the light switches, because we touched them every time we came in the room, or left the room, but we never did anything nice for them. They were, like, our slaves.

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2013

I cried and cried at the end of one year of college; a buddy who'd been like a big brother (kind, funny, no judgements) was graduating and leaving.

I wouldn't see him daily anymore.

We're FB friends now and I click 'like' on his family photos that he posts.

But it's not the same as hanging out and doing stuff.

I was never sexually attracted to him, but we'd roughhouse and he actually showed me how to be good at sports, or at least passable.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

I got halfway through the last Harry Potter book and thought Wow! I don't have to read any of this crap ever again. We put up with a lot of hogwash (as well as Hogwarts), largely I suspect, because people were afraid to tell JK that she was overdoing the whole concept: after all virtually everybody was a wizard of one kind or another and therefore could do ANYTHING and they could do it in less words than the author could! Time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

[quote]Gay men did not care that much about QAF--only faghags did.

I liked QAF--a lot actually, even though the writing got on my nerves-- but I don't consider myself a faghag. Not even on here, because most of you can't stand me.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

YES, I have this very problem with obsession, too. I have aspergers, though. But then again, I understand irony, so maybe I was misdiagnosed. If I didn't understand irony I wouldn't love the show Dexter so much... I've been obsessed with it for a good while and I can't stand the idea of it ending this summer. I might cry.

I get completely lost in fictional worlds, completely obsessed. I remember reading the Harry Potter books and I actually did cry when I finished reading the last book. I hated the movies though, for making them too commercial and making lame, cliché, unoriginal jokes instead of the actual jokes from the books, for focusing so much on romance etc. and putting stupid, unoriginal typical action movie scenes in, instead of the great plot and details that made the books so good. Sorry, but I always feel like I have to make it clear that the books are better than the movies when I mention liking Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2013

pills....get some

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2013

Has this thread ended?

I note that to avoid this eventuality, it was bumped all of ten minutes after it was posted. Clearly, a kindness -- but perhaps OP should learn that all things end, that all people die, and they never come back when they're dead. Never. Never.

Just trying to help.

by Anonymousreply 1905/04/2013

I cried when "Queer as Folk" ended, too. Tears of joy that the worst piece of shit that had ever fouled the boob tube was finally coming to an end.

by Anonymousreply 2005/04/2013

Some level of sadness (even crying), is normal, but a month of depression is not. Hopefully OP was exaggerating.

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2013

I am the SAME VAY as you, OP!!!!! Ven der war Endet, it vas like, SHITTT!!

Und I admit it. I CRHRRHRRHIED!!! Like zee baby.

by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2013

No. The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends.

by Anonymousreply 2305/04/2013

r6 has it

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2013

R8 I don't like having flowers in the house for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2013

[quote]I remember reading about a young boy who would cry when he was done with a popsicle because he was sad for the popsicle stick - he would wonder where it would go to and if it was feeling lonely and abandoned.

I can completely relate to that. When I was maybe 7 or 8, I was helping Mom take groceries out of the car and into the house. A bottle of vinegar fell out and broke on the driveway. I cried and cried because the vinegar hadn't "fulfilled its destiny". I remember Mom asking why I was crying and me not telling her why because she'd think I was nuts.

by Anonymousreply 2605/05/2013

I'm always happy to see pain-in-the-ass guests leave.

by Anonymousreply 2705/05/2013

Not so much with books or TV. But things like family traditions that have faded away, or groups of friends that are no longer together, depress me.

For instance, I remember my siblings and I turning off all the lights and listening to records, singing along in the dark. That can never be recreated, and its sad to think its only a distant memory form the late 70s/early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 2805/05/2013

[quote]The day I finally gave up on college after 5 years of failure, I turned to look back at the beautiful university I wasn't good enough for and bawled.

Can completely relate. I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.