Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama nominates Pritzker for Commerce Secretary

Her family pioneered the use of illegal offshore tax shelters for American business. I guess Obama just doesn't learn very fast.

by Anonymousreply 1705/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2013

Did she? Other members of her family worked for his opponents, as is customary amongst the rich. The point is you can't put the 1% in the cabinet and expect intelligent policies.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2013

Do you think if Romney had won he would have put Sheldon Adelson in the cabinet? Not a chance. Pritzker was close to Summers and that is reason enough why she shouldn't be in the cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2013

Of course he might have installed Conard there, so in that respect he would be the same, but Romney is hardly a model. The point is that the Commerce Department should be leading the fight for structural reform of American business, and I thinkhe intends her just to be a salesperson and free trade agreement pusher.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2013

The point is one reason he was re-elected because his opponent was a foreign tax shelter freak. And now Obama wants to be sure Democrats can never win on that issue again.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2013

Obama is an immature destructive little boy.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2013

damn op my heart skipped a beat when you said they word "nominate"....I was like for what? Have I been advertised!?

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2013

F&F r8.

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2013

OH yes R8, he detached the Pentagon from the Christian Right, a historic realignment! Except that he didn't need to, they weren't going to hang together forever no matter what. No we need progressives in government.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

Let's see her family was tied to the Capone mob and involved in the disposession of Japanese who were put in concentration camps during World War II.

The tax shelter thing was a later generation. Carter was going to fine them a billion dollars, but Reagan let them off with $100 million. They certainly learned the value of politics then! A number of their businesses have gone bellyup, like Braniff and various Hyatt Hotels, but it has never affected the empire because they have learned to structure things so it won't. A model for Trump, by the way.

One of her jobs will be to promote minority business. Someone whose wealth is inherited from a family who took advantage of the Japanese internees: I'm sure she has a great feel for minority business challenges.

But she wasn't even born then, and you wouldn't want to be blamed for your family! True.

Let's just look at her. Oh yes her cousin accused her of trying to steal a billion dollars from her in a family dispute.

I'm sure she's just the person to lead the reform of American business and tame the right-wing U.S. Chamber of Commerce! To stop foreign countries from manipulating currencies to profit at the expense of American workers! To stop one-sided free trade deals that increase our deficit!

And don't forget this will also put her in charge of the government's economic reporting (including the same bureaucrats who have tried to make Obama look bad by under-reporting his employment number in their monthly press releases). Can Obama really trust her to fix it?

I just don't see it.

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

The Pritzkers are such patriots they had the big cruise ships for Royal Caribbean built in Finland!

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

R13, why would freepers be upset by this news?

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

Not conservative. PP, however, is.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

If she's SO conservative, why is she a Democrat?

I figured Freepers come here just to trash everything the president does; I had NO idea so many gay guys outright hate him!

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

The Pritzkers put people on both sides of every issue so they can profit from which ever way the political winds blow R16. She probably doesn't have any political beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 1705/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!