Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hey New Yorkers

Is it possible to live (decently) in your city on a salary of $85,000?

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013

only if you're a whore in Hell's Kitchen

by Anonymousreply 105/02/2013

Certainly not in my area, the enviable Upper West Side. Perhaps you should give Inwood or Washington Heights a try. They ARE technically part of Manhattan, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 205/02/2013

R2 OP didn't ask about Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 305/02/2013

What is the cheapest part of NYC, and what is the most dangerous? Is Staten Island the cheapest? Is the Bronx the most dangerous still?

by Anonymousreply 405/02/2013

Checkout Brooklyn Heights. It is wealthy, full of TV actors, has a view of lower Manhattan. It is one subway stop from Wall Street on the 2,3 Express. I have a friend who lives in a 1 BR rent controlled apartment there for about $400/ month.

by Anonymousreply 505/02/2013

r5 is posting from 1970. BH is extremely expensive. You maybe, just maybe can get a 400 sq ft studio for $2,000 if you're lucky.

by Anonymousreply 605/02/2013

R6, I'm not exaggerating. He lives on Pineapple St. in the Heights, he pays about $400/month. He teaches public school, makes about $70,000/ year. He has lived there since before 1975. RENT CONTROLLED

by Anonymousreply 705/02/2013

To clarify - Manhattan, Brooklyn or possibly Queens.

by Anonymousreply 805/02/2013

Who cares, r5/r7? The OP can't get a rent controlled apartment.

by Anonymousreply 905/02/2013

Of course you can. I live in a 650 square foot apartment in midtown (albeit rent stabilized, and I've lived here for 20 years) and pay $1028.00 a month. I make just over $50,000.00 a year.

Yes, rent stabilized apartments are harder to come by, and you may not be able to find a decent place in a really great area like I live in, (you'd probably have to be a whore to do that) but you should certainly be able to find something in Upper Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn etc. It can most assuredly be done.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

How the FUCK can any human being live in a veal pen that is only 650 ft2 and call it a life??

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

R9, he CAN use this information to his use. Marry someone in NYC with a rent controlled apartment, you can inherit it and live their forever! Landlord/Tenant Law 101

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

Can you live (decently) anywhere on that salary?

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2013

You can do it on $85,000, but you'll see a lot more theatre, restaurants and fun stuff on $100,000. This assumes that you are bringing your paid-for furniture with you, and you are selling your car.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

All of you people throwing out rent stabilized rates -- as though that is the norm and in any way accessible to someone moving in from out of town -- can eat a bag of old vaginas.

OP, it's possible. If you don't have a roommate, think studio, and you'll find something nice. Try the web site "Street Easy" to give you an idea. Also the site linked.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

He can eat OUR vaginas....we're in rent-controlled OZ.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

You can live in plenty of nice neighborhoods in NYC outside of Manhattan. A one bedroom in a pre-war building in Bay RIdge would run you about $1200 to $1400 a month depending on how updated it is. The area has tons of resturants and bars, a beautiful promenade overlooking NY bay and is a decent commute to the city.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2013

Of course you can OP. Geez...

I live in the Bronx and I love it. Close to Orchard Beach in the summer, plenty of hot men, easy commute to the city, not all that expensive and much safer than I was led to believe.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2013

By the way, I live with my husband in a very small studio in midtown. We have it beautifully designed and we're very happy. He's been there since the 70s so it's only $800 a month. We live on a beautiful block and we love each other.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2013

[quote]A one bedroom in a pre-war building in Bay RIdge would run you about $1200 to $1400 a month

All the Norwegian Catholics there would drive me nuts!

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2013

You can live in a studio in Manhattan for that money but you'll be spending the vast majority of your money on rent. I don't know how people dump $2,000-$2,300k a month to the wind for the opportunity to live in a cramped little box. I understand doing it for a few years to get the full Manhattan experience, but does it not bother you that you aren't purchasing any real property with that money?

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2013

I have an old biddy aunt who has lived in a 8 room penthouse on Sutton Place since 1970 for which she pays $850 per month. Is this uncommon?

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2013

OP, you can live on that salary, but you will be so miserable, you will eventually come on DL and start threads praising NYC and calling everyone who doesn't have the great life you have a "flyover."

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2013

OP Come to South FL where you can purchase a 5 BR 5BA relatively new home on an acre with a pool and 3 car garage for 260K.

Of course, you will need the prerequisite lobotomy first.

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2013

Yes if you only eat ramen noodles and have five roommates.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2013

I made 85k and lived in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. It was a charming neighborhood of brownstone houses and pre-war buildings. I was right down the street from the F train, which was only a few stops from Manhattan. My rent was $1,700 per month and I lived frugal; my monthly budget was managed on an Excel spreadsheet and I didn't go over if I could help it. That meant no extravagant living, I even managed to save money each month. It can be done, don't listen to anyone. You just have to adjust your life accordingly. Live on a budget and you will be fine.

Oh, I also had a second job I worked per-diem. A few shifts a month made a huge difference. Since I didn't have a life revolving around shows, shopping, brunches and vacation, I had extra time on my hands anyway. I didn't mind the extra work once in a while. It wasn't every week.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2013

R22 Yes, it is uncommon. I suggest you move in with Aunt Biddy ASAP. If you are living with her for two years and she dies, you can contune to live there at the same rent.

by Anonymousreply 2705/03/2013

OP, there is a long-closed and non-used subway stop under City Hall with art deco ceilings and natural light through a mosaic ceiling of cut colored glass. Lots of friendly bums and transients go there because the lavatories still work, it is warm in winter and cool in summer.

But they got rats in the cella.

by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2013

85K? Hell, our doorman makes more than that.

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!