Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bed Bugs

So I just got my masters in social work and I’ve gotten a job with my local section 8 offices as an inspector. I’ve learned a whole lot about a lot of things, but one thing I can’t get out of my head is the existence of . . . bed bugs. Nothing in my sheltered Midwest upbringing prepared me for this. Evidentally the saying, “Good night, sleep tight, don’t let the beg bugs bite” has some merit.

Just like lice, bed bugs are disgusting and they feed on human blood. Once you get them in your house or apartment they are difficult and expensive to eradicate; therefore many lower income people just live with them.

They are an epidemic in a lot of areas today, and it’s quite easy to get them.

Suddenly I’ve become petrified to sit on public sofas, taxicabs, theatre seats, etc., because the threat of picking up these parasites is very real.

Anyone have any experience?

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2013

When the news was full of stories about the bedbug epidemic I panicked and bought some (for me, fairly expensive) bedbug-proof bedding covers for my pillows, mattress, box springs and duvet. So if the fuckers show up I'm ready for them.

From what I've read they're difficult to eradicate with pesticides and the only way to get rid of them once they've gotten into your home is to throw out infested bedding and keep the place scrupulously clean, which very few people are willing and able to do.

by Anonymousreply 105/02/2013

Experience? Yes, I have the experience of hoping I never am in the same room with you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 205/02/2013

Yes, R2, that's probably quite wise of you. I doubt you would like me very much. After all, I graduated from Duke with a master's in social work, and instead of social work I could have gone to medical school and walked into an established practice with my father and brother, both of whom are family practice doctors. And Republicans. Instead, though, I spend my days dealing with the poorest of poor and their children, who did nothing to deserve their plight in life other than be born. In a single week's time I see things that you probably have the luxury of never having to see. Two-year-olds with cigarette burns, broken bones, bed bug and lice infestations that have gotten so bad they've gone into staph infections, and the list goes on and on and on. Helping those people and their kids wouldn't score me any points with you, I'm sure. No, I feel certain that you have a much better occupation, something that is actually full of glitz and glamor and worthiness. So R2, I sure hope you get your wish and that you never have the experience of being the same room with me. Yep, I join with you in that.

You have a nice night, R2.

by Anonymousreply 305/02/2013

OOOOOOOO-weeeeee.

R2 got DRAGGED!

by Anonymousreply 405/02/2013

A friend of mine had them. Rather, I should say still has them. This is now going on eight months. The worst of it is over, but he said that he found one the other day. They called the exterminator (who has made repeated visits) and threw out the bedding that was infested last fall. And still, he found one last week. Also, this house is scrupulously clean. Low class? Not a chance.

by Anonymousreply 505/02/2013

[quote]After all, I graduated from Duke with a master's in social work,

My, my, my! An actual MASTER'S degree?

Smell YOU!

by Anonymousreply 605/02/2013

Masters degree and you never heard of bed bugs?

Somebody needs a refund. I am from the Midwest and I knew what they were. Even before 2 years ago when they were in the news every single day for months.

by Anonymousreply 705/02/2013

I hate OP's r3. Who gives a fuck? You sound like a horrible person trying to convince herself she's not

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2013

You inspect housing for crazy ex-soldiers?

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2013

OP/R3. If you wanted to make a difference, you would have done the med school route and actually treated those children you mention, but you couldn't so you didn't. Come off it.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2013

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2013

OP's post at R3 comes off like something a privileged sixteen year old white girl would say about her gap year building schools in Africa.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2013

It's a White Man's Burden!!

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2013

I'll also have you know I spent two weeks last summer helping poor people in Fiji make huts out of junk!

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2013

[quote]I'll also have you know I spent two weeks last summer helping poor people in Fiji make huts out of junk!

I kicked them over.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2013

I moved into a highrise Chicago apartment complex a few years back without checking online reviews that mentioned the bed bug problem in the building. About a year and a half in until I left I would find a weird bite or actually see a bed bug every couple months or so and I would have to report to the building management company that I needed them to treat the apartment again. I'm not sure exactly what they sprayed the place with but it didn't seem to be a permanent solution because the bed bugs could just retreat into the walls and go in some other unit or something.

At first I was very freaked out by them and the itchy bites they cause and felt really gross for having them, but one thing that gave me some piece of mind was that apparently you can kill bed bugs just by the high heat of a dryer so knowing that gave me some relief that if one popped up all I would need to do was wash/dry my bedding and I would at least have a temporary break from them.

Although I threw out some pillows and a comforter, I didn't get a new mattress and since moving I haven't had any more bed bug experiences. Thankfully.

Anyway, it's highly unlikely you're going to pick up bed bugs from a public sofa, theater seat or taxi cab.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2013

This is a NYC problem, right?

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2013

Fellow Dukie, I feel your pain. But, I feel that you are over thinking the bed bug outbreak just a tad bit. Yes, it is a problem, but not to the average Joe Blue Devil. Unless you frequent a lot of less than 4 star hotels, or spend a great amount of time in other continents, You are probably just fine. I travel 3-5 days per week, and I haven't come across one of the little buggers in the 10 years of bed bug hysteria.

What I am majorly pissed off about is why the hell is 0532 considered a "peak" time for DL? Yeah, I'm a member, but this ridiculous policy is keeping others away. pffffft

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2013

OP/R3? I worked as a statistician for an entire agency of mostly MSWs and they were the most sanctimonious pompous controlling motherfuckers I have ever worked with. Something about the arrogance of people who have a "calling" to "help people" makes me (and everyone else around them) want to hurl.

These (mostly white, mostly privileged) people come into an environment they know nothing about and start ordering everyone around and making threats, and they do it in the sweetest phrases and softest tones you can possibly imagine. Then they go home and pat themselves on the back that they've helped some members of the darker races to understand that the ways of the white race are those that everyone must aspire to.

Yeah -- you should have been a doctor. I guess you're the control freak in the family.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2013

Bed bugs are harmless to most people. Poor people have bigger concerns.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2013

"one thing that gave me some piece of mind"

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2013

Cleanliness is not the issue. You can have a spotless apartment and still get bedbugs because they are parasites.

That's why people freak.

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2013

[quote] Suddenly I’ve become petrified to sit on public sofas, taxicabs, theatre seats, etc., because the threat of picking up these parasites is very real.

You should probably just jump out of a window.

Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2013

I don't understand. If they have no humans or animals to snack on, wouldn't they just die of starvation? Or do they go into hibernation like bears?

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2013

I believe they can live without "nourishment" for very long periods of time.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2013

Bedbugs only come out at night; they nestle deep in bedding in the day. Just don't sit, especially on beds.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2013

I'm not sure if somebody mentioned this already but the kidney bean plant leaves seem to work well in trapping them.

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.