Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Wicker Man [1973]

Is anyone here a fan of this cult film?

Starring Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland's boobs.

Written by Anthony Shaffer, who wrote SLEUTH.

The original music by Paul Giovanni is better than most Broadway musicals.t t

And let's NOT talk about the awful Nicholas Cage remake.

by Lord Summerislereply 1609/23/2013

It stills holds up. The horrible Nic Cage remake should have been burned. In a Wicker Man.

by Lord Summerislereply 105/02/2013

The original version still gives me the creeps. Beautiful photography and music. If you can get your hands on a copy of the 1973 soundtrack, guard it with your life because it's worth a fortune.

by Lord Summerislereply 205/02/2013

[quote]If you can get your hands on a copy of the 1973 soundtrack, guard it with your life because it's worth a fortune.

It's on iTunes.

Here is the uncensored [NSFW] clip of Britt Ekland "doing" Willow's Song.

Amazing.

by Lord Summerislereply 305/02/2013

R3? That's Todd Rungren.

by Lord Summerislereply 405/03/2013

I saw the film when it came out and again about 10 years later. I don't get the adoration this film recieves. I found it pretty mediocre both times. The scene where Woodward is all hot and bothered in his hotel room while Ekland does her nude "native dance" in the next room is worthy of SHOWGIRLS.

It's a good story, but neither film version does it justice.

by Lord Summerislereply 505/03/2013

That isn't even Ekland in the behind shots.

I love this movie. Moody, creepy with a sense of growing menace.

The Nic Cage version was so awful.

They used "Willow's Song" in "Hostel" in the scene where the girls are seducing the two guys to trap them.

by Lord Summerislereply 605/03/2013

I heard this is about to be re-released. Anyone know where it's playing, like which theatre chains are running it?

by Lord Summerislereply 709/22/2013

I think I saw a heavily edited version on TV when I was a child. Did not understand any of it. No desire to rewatch it so someone spoil it please.

by Lord Summerislereply 909/22/2013

I was given the DVD as a birthday gift about 5 years ago and I love it. It's really understated creepiness is wonderful, a lot of directors now could learn a bit about plot suspense over expensive FX.

It's really of it's time, maybe that's a reason I love it, I'm a big fan of the Hammer House of Horror films too. Nothing better than an evening with a Hammer film, maybe an episode of Sapphire and Steel, a bottle of wine and no need to get up early next day.

That's it, I now have plans for next Friday when I'll be on my own. Saturday I'll be seeing Elkie Brooks, now that is bona fide credentials right there that I've turned into a big Mary!

by Lord Summerislereply 1009/22/2013

I saw the original. It was kind of interesting and unusual. I mostly remember Edward Woodward in it. He was such an excellent actor.

The remake sucked. Remakes almost always suck.

by Lord Summerislereply 1109/22/2013

I saw this movie when it was first released in the U.S. and I still think it's haunting. It would make a great stage production.

Oh -- and a "restored" version will play at the Castro on October 4. Unless any of the lost footage has come to light, this may be a new print of the version released in the U.S. by Roger Corman.

by Lord Summerislereply 1209/22/2013

R12 I believe they are releasing a "director's cut". This has lost footage added and has some scenes that had been rearranged by the production company put back into the original (and better) order.

by Lord Summerislereply 1309/22/2013

It's being shown at Cineworld Cinemas in the UK the day after tomorrow (24th Sept), I'm definitely going to go! Is this a director's cut, does anyone know?

by Lord Summerislereply 1409/22/2013

Thank you, R13! I'm definitely going to go see it.

by Lord Summerislereply 1509/23/2013

It's coming to NYC on the 27th at the IFC Center.

It's advertised as "The Final Cut."

BTW, I'm probably the only person on DL who purchased a hard copy of the novelization (written by Robin Hardy & Anthony Shaffer) when it came out in '78.

by Lord Summerislereply 1609/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.