Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I feel stranded -

Over the last few years I have gotten more and more anxious when driving. I do fine on residential streets, but a couple years ago I had to give up driving on the highways because I would feel dizzy. I really have trouble with crossing bridges that are over bodies of water. I feel like I'm going to pass out.

There are places I would like to go and things I would like to see but I just can't. And I can't expect people to drive me everywhere if it involves a highway.

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013

Hyacinth, please shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 105/02/2013

It sounds like you could use therapy and/or anxiety medication for this problem. I'm not being snarky, by the way--I sympathize.

by Anonymousreply 205/02/2013

Why do you have an issue driving on the Highway? What's the fear?

by Anonymousreply 305/02/2013

This happened to a friend of mine after she was in a serious accident on the freeway. I told her to get some therapy because she hasn't gotten over it two years later.

by Anonymousreply 405/02/2013

More accidents happen on the street than they do on the Freeway.

And yeah, R4, always get right back in the car and drive as soon as you can after something like that. Otherwise, youll develop some major issues.

by Anonymousreply 505/02/2013

Therapy, OP. I suffer from anxiety and have had panic attacks while driving. I almost got off the highway and drove myself to an emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. I ended up taking back roads home - for about 90 miles just so I didn't have to get back on the highway.

For me, it's control issues that trigger a panic attack. You have to be 100% in control to drive.

by Anonymousreply 605/02/2013

Right there with you, OP. I'm okay on surface streets, but unless it's a short distance that I regularly travel on a highway, I have anxiety attacks.

by Anonymousreply 705/02/2013

[quote] More accidents happen on the street than they do on the Freeway.

yes but on the average city street I'm driving 30 mph, not 65 mph or higher.

by Anonymousreply 805/02/2013

Strauss waltzes can help. Listen to the waltzes on CD or other music device when driving in an area where your anxiety gets overbearing. The waltz time puts your body and mind into a waltz rhythm instead of a 4/4 rhythm. I got this from a psychologist and found it really works. It's an offshoot of The Mozart Effect.

I have to go to a nearby city, that has awful traffic jams, about once a month. I dreaded the trip until I began to play waltz music. Now there's no problem. I never thought I would buy any music by Lawrence Welk, but that orchestra has great waltz music to put a stop to anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 905/02/2013

Try taking the subway instead of driving. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 1005/02/2013

Stay the fuck out of the left lane, OP...

by Anonymousreply 1105/02/2013

[quote] Try taking the subway instead of driving. Problem solved.

No subway or reliable public transport that goes where I need to get to most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 1205/02/2013

Sounds like you need professional help OP.

by Anonymousreply 1305/02/2013

Thank God you re off the road.

by Anonymousreply 1405/02/2013

You're a delicate flower, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1505/02/2013

Get your eyes checked op, I think it has something to do with your eyes that you can't handle the higher speeds, reflections from the water, etc. Could be macular degeneration. How is your night driving?

by Anonymousreply 1605/02/2013

Jesus, you people are a fucking mess

by Anonymousreply 1705/02/2013

I'm with you OP; I was in car accident 2 years ago - it wasn't really even that serious - but I keep having this feeling that someone is going to crash in to me again & I'm always bracing for the impact. Riding in the car with someone else freaks me out to the point that I have to close my eyes and breath deeply. It seems silly but it's like this feeling of dread that I can't shake.

by Anonymousreply 1805/02/2013

America is full of shrinks.

Get one.

by Anonymousreply 1905/02/2013

Hypnotherapy might be something you should consider.

by Anonymousreply 2005/02/2013

Do you live in New Jersey, OP? The Jersey barriers along Rt. 22 made me a lifelong hater of the automobilian arts.

by Anonymousreply 2105/02/2013

Move to the desert. No bodies of water.

by Anonymousreply 2205/02/2013

Been there, OP. Awful. I hardly left the house for a couple of years. Eventually PAXIL. It works, only you can Never Stop Taking It.

by Anonymousreply 2305/02/2013

R1, I wlll not, you know its time for my famous candelight suppers

by Anonymousreply 2405/02/2013

When I have to ride in a car with someone who is driving on the highway, I have to take valerian or Xanax.

Night driving is fine.

I'm very scared of big trucks and everything buzzing by me so quickly makes me dizzy as I try to take everything in at once.

by Anonymousreply 2505/02/2013

I could have written the OP's first post, although I think the OP has it worse than I do. Highways and bridges are the worst, because of the trapped panic that is lurking - you can't pull over or get off, you're trapped with this fast flow and if you freak out (and that's the fear for me, the uncontrollable panic) what can you do? You've got to continue driving, trapped. I've noticed that inositol helps (google inositol and panic attacks) and so does propranolol, and they work best in combination, I think. Having something to keep your mind occupied, like an interesting radio program or audiobook also helps me, or forget about the anticipation. I still try to avoid highway bridges or overpasses, though, and drive more slowly than the highway traffic around me even after a few years of this.

by Anonymousreply 2605/05/2013

My mother stopped driving after her father died. My dad does all the driving now. I don't know what she'll do when he passes; they live in a small town.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.