Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest

Will George W. Bush set foot in Europe again in his lifetime?

A planned trip by Bush to speak at the Switzerland-based United Israel Appeal later this week has been canceled after several human rights groups called for Swiss authorities to arrest Bush and investigate him for authorizing torture. Bush has traveled widely since leaving office, but not to Europe, where there is a strong tradition of international prosecutions.

The Swiss group and Bush’s spokesman claim that it was threats of protest, not of legal action, that prompted the cancellation. But facing protests is nothing new for Bush. What was different about this trip was that groups including Amnesty International and the Center for Constitutional Rights argued that Switzerland, as a party to the UN Convention against Torture, is obligated to investigate Bush for potential prosecution.

Amnesty’s memo to Swiss authorities cites, among other things, Bush’s admission in his own memoir that he approved the use of waterboarding. From Amnesty’s press release:

“To date, we’ve seen a handful of military investigations into detentions and interrogations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Guantánamo. But none of these has had the independence and reach necessary to investigate high-level officials such as President Bush,” said Salil Shetty, Secretary General of Amnesty International.

“Meanwhile, there has been virtually zero accountability for crimes committed in the CIA’s secret detention program, which was authorized by then-President Bush.”

Anywhere in the world that he travels, President Bush could face investigation and potential prosecution for his responsibility for torture and other crimes in international law, particularly in any of the 147 countries that are party to the UN Convention against Torture.

“As the US authorities have, so far, failed to bring President Bush to justice, the international community must step in,” said Salil Shetty.

The Center for Constitutional Rights, meanwhile, intended to file a 2,500-page complaint against Bush in Swiss court on behalf of two Guantanamo detainees. The group will release that complaint to the public today.

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2013

I knew this would happen, heheheheheh.

r1, the precedent for the arrest of accused criminal heads of state while visiting countries empowered to do so has already been set. Ever hear of Augusto Pinochet?

by Anonymousreply 205/02/2013

Fuck off, R1. Oh, and I am sure you meant "former" American president.

As a dual national, American/British, I can't wait until both Bush and Blair are arrested for war crimes.

Good for Amnesty International, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 405/02/2013

They really need to go after Cheney, he was the brains behind the crimes.

by Anonymousreply 505/02/2013

R5. Completely agree. I don't see Bush as being that bad of a person, but the world rarely gets a glimpse of someone as truly evil as Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 605/02/2013

Bush is that bad of a person.

And by all means they should go after Cheney, too.

by Anonymousreply 805/02/2013

R7, you accuse of R2 of living under a rock? Please don't try to pretend that you (as a fucking reich-winger) can tell decent people to crawl under a rock. The mind boggles at the slime you must have to tussle with within your own under-rock cognitive dissonance. You are defending a MURDERER. Yeah, muvvafucker, that's right.

Again, I hope Bush becomes shamed for life, and can never leave Crawford, TX for fear of international arrest.

Or even citizen's arrest, within the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 905/02/2013

R9 he lives in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 1005/02/2013

Ha! Good for Amnesty International :)

Those bitches @ Free Republic keep trying to invade DL. Not going to happen fuckers! We are so much better.

by Anonymousreply 1105/02/2013

But his paintings are so pretty!

by Anonymousreply 1205/02/2013

This is good news and it's not the first time he's lost out on overseas speeches.

Both war criminals, Bush and Cheney, have had to cancel previous trips. They try to sneak in to other nations to make big bucks from speeches but, as soon as people discover these war-mongers are on the way, they pull out the arrest warrents.

by Anonymousreply 1305/02/2013

What the hell is wrong with you R1? Who the fuck cares about precedent? These thugs inflicted a lot of harm and they should pay. I know they won't, but I'm 100% some other country bringing charges and arresting them as America never will.

by Anonymousreply 1405/02/2013

actually r1 the really dangerous precedent was allowing BushCo. to steal the 2000 election.

After that my precedent meter hasn't really found its center again.

But if you think about it, there are international grounds to arrest Bush and Cheney [and many other despots] so it could actually be a GREAT precedent.

for people that is.

And your professed hatred of Bush was a nice try but your May Day comment sold you out.

Just like your fave President.

by Anonymousreply 1505/02/2013

I would brace yourselves for similar treatment of our current president.

by Anonymousreply 1605/02/2013

It was ten years ago this week when the war in Iraq ended, according to Bush. That's when he landed on USS Abraham Lincoln and proudly strode across the deck of the carrier with a huge White House ordered banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished."

He wore a costume to look like a Navy pilot which is amusing in view of the fact that he's a military deserter from the Texas Air National Guard.

by Anonymousreply 1705/02/2013

Having a presidential library probably gave him the balls to think he could leave the country and get a big overseas welcome that's usually given to Carter and Clinton.

It's funny to think there's a whole library that's dedicated to a man whose only known connection to any literature is one book - "The Pet Goat."

by Anonymousreply 1805/02/2013

R18--As referenced by Conan in his Press Corp dinner speech.

by Anonymousreply 1905/02/2013

Kissinger can't really travel either, can he?

by Anonymousreply 2005/02/2013

The found the right combo of chemicals that can keep him looking and sounding presentable. At least by their standards.

They have started running Jeb and they think if W can reinvent himself a little it will help the cause.

The Bar Bush interview where she stated "we have had enough" of them is designed for the public to feel kindly toward the old lady and manipulate them into considering the opposite of what she suggests.

It is all manipulation. Manipulating the press and public and conditioning them to accept [AGAIN] the completely unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 2105/02/2013

Thanks R19. I didn't see that speech so it's good to know the Bush connection to that book is still getting attention many years after the event. We need future historians to keep track of that moron and not buy into the whitewashed baloney put forth by his library and museum. His going AWOL should be another part of his history that needs to be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 2205/02/2013

Oh R22 you shouldnt miss it.

Obama was hilarious. Conan was just OK-but he got off several zingers against Bush and other Republicans.

Catch both segments on Youtube. Conan directly follows Obama.

by Anonymousreply 2305/02/2013

I should have mentioned that like Pinochet, Bush is a FORMER head of state and thus doesn't have the same level of immunity as an acting head of state, so yes, he has to be careful where he travels. As r20 notes, Kissinger has also had to be careful where he goes because of his own war crimes record.

Remember when Roman Polanski made the mistake of going to Switzerland and nearly got extradited to the U.S.? Same deal.

What surprises me is that Bush would even bother to leave the country. I just assumed that after he left office he'd just hole up in Kennebunkport and drink himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 2405/02/2013

r16, you're absolutely right, but strictly speaking every U.S. president from Washington on down has presided over crimes against humanity of one sort or other. It comes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 2505/02/2013

it just must be Horrible to be such a criminal.

by Anonymousreply 2605/02/2013

It's too bad that he probably views it as a relief and not a punishment. This is a guy whose only international experience involved going to Tijuana.

ALL that money. ALL those diplomatic connections and that little dull witted, fuckstick NEVER SET FOOT OFF OF AMERICAN SOIL until well into his 50s. It just never occurred to him to be interested in any other part of the world.

by Anonymousreply 2705/02/2013

The American people has been duped by the lamestream media ino thinking that Bush is a great guy and that his presidential indiscretions are all in the past. Carter and Clinton and Obama might forgive and forget Bush's crimes but most non-Americans will never forgive or forget.

by Anonymousreply 2805/02/2013

Some are saying that America is ready for another Bush. I don't think we will ever be ready for another Bush.

by Anonymousreply 2905/02/2013

[quote]The American people has been duped by the lamestream media ino(sic) thinking that Bush is a great guy

Did you just use a Palinism to criticize Bush?

by Anonymousreply 3005/02/2013

R6, that was my first thought. I think someone should sweep in and apply extraordinary rendition to him, like he was responsible for doing to others.

by Anonymousreply 3105/02/2013

R21 remember that year or two when they had Bush on Adderall or something and he couldn't make an appearance without jacking his jaw and sweating? Those were interesting times. Now he seems like he's on xanax.

by Anonymousreply 3205/02/2013

That would make a great film script R31.

by Anonymousreply 3305/02/2013

Can you imagine all the Pubbie heads exploding if he got arrested!

by Anonymousreply 3405/03/2013

[quote]Kissinger can't really travel either, can he?

Cheney and Kissinger both travelled for Thatcher's funeral - one of their own, albeit at a more modest level. Not that she wouldn't have loved to up her game.

Kissinger fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 3505/03/2013

Cheney and Kissinger kept a low profile and sort of sneaked in and out of U.K. very fast for the funeral.

In the past Cheney had to cancel a trip to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 3605/03/2013

So much for rehabilitating the Bush brand.

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2013

I wonder if people in Europe offer him big bucks to speak just so they can see if he's stupid enough to try for the money even though he knows there are calls for his arrest.

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2013

[quote] he lives in Dallas

His wife lives in Dallas. He lives in Crawford

by Anonymousreply 3905/04/2013

[quote]I hate Bush politically as well, but I'd never stand for an American president to be arrested in Europe. The precedent it would set would be very, very dangerous.

On the contrary, it would have a salutary effect on stupid twitmeyers like yourself with your fantasies of American world domination. That's an un-American dream and it has never involved anything but murder on a mass scale. I wish people like you would be arrested in Europe and slapped into jail for allowing Bush to serve as president and commit these crimes, when he wasn't elected. It might teach your fat ugly ass a little responsibility for a change.

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2013

Dunno why, but I suddenly got this image of a group of European attorneys standing around a box trap, with a single pretzel acting as bait.

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.