Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Madonna have Julie Brown blackballed in Hollywood?

That parody movie "Medusa" was scathingly funny, but then she strangely just faded away.

by Anonymousreply 6305/05/2013

I love her, she's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 105/01/2013

Medusa: Dare To Be Truthful

by Anonymousreply 205/01/2013

I wonder that myself. The scene where Medusa goes to visit her dog's grave while awful tuneless music plays - "You can't make lemonade out of a dead dog, no matter how hard ya try" - is great. Kathy Griffin plays one of her dancers and has a few lines. Why didn't Julie Brown do more? Too smart, not pushy enough?

by Anonymousreply 305/01/2013

I met her brother long ago. Julie had struggled with some demons (depression and stuff) back in the nineties. Very, very common with comics and comedians. probably had a lot to do with retreating from spotlight. The funniest people in the world have the deepest darkest struggles. Their "funny" comes from over-compensating.

by Anonymousreply 405/01/2013

I really don't think Madonna has the power to have someone blackballed in Hollywood. In the music business, MAYBE, but she's not well-liked by the movie crowd. Her pretensions toward a movie career are entirely her own.

by Anonymousreply 505/01/2013

OP=Mary Clancy

by Anonymousreply 605/01/2013

Thanks r4. So I guess in the non-showbiz world, she'd be considered out on disability but still with a hand in. I liked her Ke$ha parody.

by Anonymousreply 705/01/2013

She was on that Patricia Heaton show The Middle, from 2010 to 2012. It's a successful show.

She still does cabaret too. I think she's still working and considered successful. She's just not in the shows you watch.

by Anonymousreply 805/01/2013

When Madonna is really mad at someone she'll hire someone on that person's payroll. She hired Elton John's florist for her Oscar party so he couldn't do Elton's party and she hired Coutney Love's nannies and personal stylist. She also makes sure at least some other producers sign contracts saying they can't work on someone else's album after they're done working with her.

by Anonymousreply 905/01/2013

"She was on that Patricia Heaton show The Middle, from 2010 to 2012. It's a successful show."

I've never heard of this program. Was it on OWN?

by Anonymousreply 1005/01/2013

I bought that dvd recently and she's one of my FB friends. She did something with drag queen Sharon Needles recently, she's always doing something! So don't cry for her, Argentina, very funny woman, underrated. The Middle is such a waste of her talent, she has only appeared in a handful and has only the smallest lines. I think that's Patty Heaton's doing. Also funny is her "Attack of the 5 foot 2 Women" dvd, where she plays Tonya Harding and the woman who cut her hubby's penis off (forget her name).

by Anonymousreply 1105/01/2013

No, R10. It's on ABC since 2009. It's often in the top 10. It's emmy nominated and has won numerous awards for best comedy, although I don't watch it because I hate Heaton.

by Anonymousreply 1205/01/2013

I'm a gay guy and even I love The Middle. Yeah, it's kinda frau pablum but it's cute in its mindless fun, and I have a strange crush on the kid who plays her eldest son, and I'm not into twinks at all.

R12, WHO was Julie brown on the show? I can't picture her character.

by Anonymousreply 1305/01/2013

Julie played a neighbor, married. I, too, love the show, it's so much better than that "Everybody Loved Raymond" shite. And they always show the treasure trail on the teenage boy. Like Eden Scher, who should be Emmy nommed and she never fuckin' gets nommed.

by Anonymousreply 1405/01/2013

This is a sad insight into the life of an actor in hollywood and will depress some of you.

when you see "once known" actors pop up on current shows-- alot of time it is done as a favor by someone associated with the show so the "once known" actor can qualify for SAG health insurance. Fact.

The life of an actor who works occasionally,(and may even be famous), can be one of abject poverty. It sucks. (Though, i'm not implying Julie is impoverished or struggling... just saying what the life of a "working actor" is really like.

by Anonymousreply 1505/01/2013

Madonna has no power or ability to do anything in Hollywood, except for maybe host an Oscar party. She gets recognized (sometimes) for her music on soundtracks, but I doubt someone who can't carry a film would be able to blackball anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1605/01/2013

Hollywood has no memory. Hollywood has no loyalty.

So, no. Madonna would have zero impact on anyone's ability to get hired or fired. No one gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 1705/01/2013

Julie Brown did not fade away. How could you forget the lez gym teacher in Clueless? Or that strip mall soap opera parody she did on Comedy Central?

She was also on "The Edge" alongside Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 1805/01/2013

Didn't she step back from work after having a kid?

by Anonymousreply 1905/01/2013

I just love Julie Brown! Many years ago I bought her CD " Trapped In The Body of a White Girl". Huge fun. A video of "Girl Fight Tonight" has been around for ages. I liked Madonna's music when she first appeared, 'tho I thought Cyndi Lauper was better. Madonna seems humourless and sad to me.

by Anonymousreply 2005/01/2013

Madonna couldn't blackball a Jewish transvestite during frat rush.

by Anonymousreply 2105/01/2013

'Cause I'm a Blonde

by Anonymousreply 2205/01/2013

One of the best scenes which REALLY must have gotten to Madonna was the one where Julie Brown (as Medusa) sucks on a watermelon, deflating it while all the dancers hoot and holler. After it's defalted, Julie turns to the camera, winks and says "made me a star!"

by Anonymousreply 2305/01/2013

R22, as a kid I used to love that video because of the hot shirtless guys.

I was a desperate Midwestern kid.

by Anonymousreply 2405/01/2013

R6 - is the term you are looking for "scathingly brilliant"?

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2013

I just checked her wiki page. She was one of the writers of that Disney movie Camp Rock. Whoda thunk!

by Anonymousreply 2605/01/2013

In an interview after the spoof aited, Madonna said she thought the film was funny and that Julie Brown was very talented.

As for Madonna blackballing her, I don't think so because Madonna liked the film and she doesn't have that power in the film industry

Now in the music industry it's a Whole different can of worms, Madonna not only has the power but gets and receives whatever her heart desires.

If you the tell all book by her brother Christopher from a few years ago, there's lots of horror stories about Madonna being an ego maniacle, work crazed bitch he ran over amyone that got in her way.

There's stories where Madonna forced Christopher to fire dancers who ordered extra food without getting Madonna's approval for it!

by Anonymousreply 2705/01/2013

Pharrel said after he worked with Madonna on the Hard Candy album in 2008, that Madonna made him sign a contract stating that he couldn't work with another female pop artist for the next 12 months!

Love her or hate her, Madonna definitely has that power in the music industry

But definitely not in the film world/ Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 2805/01/2013

When Madonna first moved to England about 12 years ago, Elton John was in her circle of friends and they routinely had dinner at each other's houses.

Madonna got wind of the big A list Oscar parties that Elton was hosting and went behind his back and hired his people for her Oscar parties that she suddenly decidethrowd to throw.

It all came to a hand when Elton went on a tirade agsinst Madonna last year, the real reason was that Elton was pissed that Madonna was now throwing her own Oscar parties and that she stole all his big name celeb guests like Leonardo DiCaprio and Salma Hayek.

While Elton had to make due with guests like Chace Crawford.

Supposedly they made up and are friends again

by Anonymousreply 2905/01/2013

Madonna may be a shit actress l, but...

I have a 1990 issue of US magazine where they count down the 100 most powerful people in Hollywood and guess who was #1? You got it Madonna

Also Madonna is/was at the time very good friends with people like David Geffen and mega producer Joel Silver.

Also in 1992 after she signed her huge deal with Time Warner, Madonna started to PRODUCE several films like the John Candy comedy Canadian Bacon and the Agent Cody Banks movies.

by Anonymousreply 3005/01/2013

I heard a story from a credible source that Madonna squelched the Divinyls after "I Touch Myself" because she didn't like that they "stole" her schtick. She did have that much power in the music biz back in the day...she could shut down pretty much anyone by saying "If you work with them, you will never work with me." Now, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3105/02/2013

[quote]It all came to a hand when . . .While Elton had to make due with guests like Chace Crawford.

Double oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 3205/02/2013

R31 she still has the power in the music industry.

A couple of years ago she signed an unheard of $120 milliin deal with Live Nation.

Her last 2 tours have been record breaking successes, they're the top 2 tours for a female artist of all time and both are among. The top 10 highest grossing in general tours of all time.

Even her album sales from her last couple of albums aren't too shabby, considering nobody buys CD's anymore

Rumor has it that Madonna is set to overtake Oprah on the upcoming Forbes list of the highest earning entertainers of 2012. We'll know for sure when the list comes out in a few more weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3305/02/2013

Madonna killed Julie with a pointy shit-bra.

by Anonymousreply 3405/02/2013

"Pharrel said after he worked with Madonna on the Hard Candy album in 2008, that Madonna made him sign a contract stating that he couldn't work with another female pop artist for the next 12 months!"

Whatever producers etc that this crazy bitch Madonna has demanded they not work with other female performers, they basically had the right to refuse to work with her and tell her to fuck off, the call was theirs, but they decided to work with her. These producers could have refused.

I guess these guys think it's some sort of badge of honor to work with this mental case. That type of nonsense didn't fly with the rock greats of the 60s and 70s, you can see the same producers always working with the top rock bands and singers of those eras.

Producer Phil Ramone, who died recently, worked with all the greats, he would have laughed in the face of a performer who would have handed him such a contract!

by Anonymousreply 3505/02/2013

Janet allegedly said in an interview after having been asked if she hated Madonna: "I don't hate Madonna but if I did, I have good reason to"...or something similar.

Does anyone else remember what all that was about? This was in the early 90's btw.

by Anonymousreply 3605/02/2013

Madonna no longer gets radio play and nobody sells any albums anymore. Her power plays of the past will no longer work on today's producers who can make more money working with other artists.

by Anonymousreply 3705/02/2013

I agree, I think those days are over for her. She will be lucky if she gets a song that charts off her next album.

by Anonymousreply 3805/02/2013

Madonna also has these weird specifications when she agrees to make personal appearances. She has performed at the Grammys 3 times but everytime she will only agree to perform if she's the first act on.

At the 2006 Grammys word got out that Mariah, a big nominee that year, would open the ceremony, Madonna who was thinking about performing got wind of it ans had her people call the Grammy people and tell them that Madonna would do the Grammys but only is she were the opening act, thus Mariah got bumped to the middle of the show because of Madonna's "first performer" demands.

Her 2012 Superbowl performance was literally 12 years in the making. Madonna had first signed to due the halftime show in 2000, but during rehearsals discovered she was pregnant and the doctors told her it was a high risk pregnancy l, so she understandably bowed out.

The following year MTV was producing the halftime show, Madonna agreed to be the performer to make up for cancelling the previous year. But somebody at MTV really ticked her off and weren't treating her with the proper respect so she dropped out again giving the NFL only a few weeks to find a replacement

by Anonymousreply 3905/02/2013

R37 R38 her last album MDNA sold about the same as Beyonce and Rihanna's last albums and sold more than Nicki Minaj and Britney's last albums. And that was the lowest selling album of her career and it was still somewhat successful.

Both Rihanna and Katy Perry did interviews last year where they said it would be a dream come true to duet with Madonna

If Madonna wanted an easy hit she could easily duet with them.

Top producers would kill to work with Madonna, because she's Madonna and she get s huge budgets for her albums and she pays very well.

by Anonymousreply 4005/02/2013

Oh lord, the MadonnaLoon has struck again (I'm looking at you, R40).

by Anonymousreply 4105/02/2013

Now that Patty is doing "Middle" it really hurts my brain to try to decipher her the Malcolm in the Middle lady.

by Anonymousreply 4205/02/2013

[quote]Janet allegedly said in an interview after having been asked if she hated Madonna: "I don't hate Madonna but if I did, I have good reason to"...or something similar.

The two women have a storied history. Rumors abounded back in the day about their run-ins and what not. One had Madonna and Janet at the same NYC club, and when a Janet song came on, Madonna demanded the DJ turn it off, and when he didn't, she stormed out. MJ said that Madonna talked a lot of shit about Janet to him on one of their "dates", and he pretty much told her to fuck off about talking about his sister that way. Madonna also made a snide remark about Janet in TRUTH OR DARE, and also supposedly dissed MJ's "In The Closet" song--a song he asked her to duet with him on.

by Anonymousreply 4305/02/2013

R43 but when Janet's Feedback song came out Madonna did a TV interview for Hard Candy where she said she loved the song and that the Discipline album was a really good album to work out to.

by Anonymousreply 4405/02/2013

True, R44. I think over the years whatever beef they may have had has mellowed. They've both said nice things about each other in the recent past.

by Anonymousreply 4505/02/2013

who would you choose?

by Anonymousreply 4705/02/2013

R46 R47 Madonna may not get much radio play in the US anymore due to ageism, but she still gets huge airplay on the global scale.

Give Me All Your Love was #1 for weeks in Canada on the airplay and sales chart, while her ballad Masterpiece is one of the most played songs in Russian history.

I'll say it again people the US is not the world.

Madonna also pays her producers good money up front, much more than the artists listed because she has the money to spend.

For instance Madonna was the most played artist on British radio during the 2000s, she was also among the top 5 most played artists in Europe and worldwide during the 2000s.

Again the US is not the world.

by Anonymousreply 4805/02/2013

Those other artists get played more than Madonna in other countries too!

by Anonymousreply 4905/02/2013

R49 did you read my post? Madonna was the most played artist in England during the 2000s and among the top 5 most played at radio around the world

Which is ridiculous for a woman in her 3rd decade in music.

Kyle Minogue and Robbie Williams were 2 of the most playd artists globally of the last decade, but have gotten next to no radio play in the US

Madonna at least has had about 6 big radio hits in the US this Millennium

by Anonymousreply 5005/02/2013

Yes we get it she is still played on the radio etc.. The point is she is inching close to 60 years old, she's had a great run but it's not going to last forever.

by Anonymousreply 5105/02/2013

Remember when this thread was About Julie Brown. ?

by Anonymousreply 5205/02/2013

No one is arguing her PAST success at radio. MDNA shows she's no longer relevant there around the globe.

William Orbit already said some great songs he wanted for MDNA went to Chris Brown and elsewhere. If whoever was wrote those songs wanted Madonna to have them she would have gotten them.

by Anonymousreply 5305/02/2013

Not only did she have Julie Brown blackballed OP, but she also ruined the Downtown version, whose common accent she hated.

by Anonymousreply 5405/02/2013

"Other patients? You're seeing other patients? But you told me I was borderline, I even wrote a song about it!"

by Anonymousreply 5505/02/2013

"Strip Mall" was good, sorry it didn't catch on. "Join the party in my pants!" is one of the Madonna parody songs she does. I can't imagine Miss M liking it cause it really does expose how silly some of her songs are and how easy they are to parody. I read she sent Julie a bottle of pricey champagne but it was open and half full.

by Anonymousreply 5605/02/2013

OMG! Is this stirring up again? Who kicked this ant hill? Now I have to go back and read it all.

by Anonymousreply 5705/02/2013

Kisses to R52!!

by Anonymousreply 5805/02/2013

I love JB but her Madonna impersonations were never that good. Nadya Ginsburg will never be beaten for Vadge era Madge.

by Anonymousreply 5905/05/2013

The Sandra Bernhard in this is faultless and much better than Julie's Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 6005/05/2013

Cher's version of Frozen is much better than Madonna's.

by Anonymousreply 6105/05/2013

Stephanie Miller has her on her show every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2013

wubba wubba wubba

by Anonymousreply 6305/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!