Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Doctor Who production gossip: Steven Moffat against the world

[Source has supposed spoilers. So I will post the link inside. If this isn't true, then someone has it out for him and is trying to stir up shit.]

An inside source in the BBC has released a blog post detailing the production drama taking place within the BBC concerning the popular BBC drama Doctor Who.

In the article, the anonymous insider claims that Moffat is a man who is "tyrannical and ruthless" and may even cause the end of Doctor Who, at least for the time being.

The article goes as follows:

Trouble In Cardiff

I have stayed quiet for too long on this, but as a dedicated fan of Doctor Who I feel it is my duty to inform the world of dear fans out there about the trouble that is not just brewing in South Wales, but about to explode like Vesuvius on Volcano Day.

It is with a heavy heart that I say the man that everyone thought would be the saviour of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, looks like being the man who may actually end it.

Moffat's chortling friendliness hides a man with few friends and growing enemies. It masks a man who is tyrannical and ruthless, who is bad tempered and rude. It shields a man who's personal life is as in much disarray as his professional one, but that is not something I will go into here in great detail.

The BBC are desperate to keep a hold of Steven Moffat because, whatever the fans and critics say about Doctor Who, he has delivered them huge ratings, and with that he has delivered them huge profits, in merchandise and overseas sales. He's also created another worldwide hit, Sherlock.

The problem is that Steven Moffat knows this, and has used it to become almost meglomaniacal in his approach to Executive Production. The result is Cardiff in meltown and the series of Doctor Who floundering on the edge of said volcano.

Problems fly around the Production of Doctor Who like a blizzard. Here is what is wrong:

- An inability to work with the BBC on an executive level, leading to rows with other producers

- An inappropriate working relationship with Caro Skinner, leading to a public row and her ousting.

- Senior BBC officials taking a hands on approach to the production after an internal scandal

- A huge and antagonistic falling out with the series leading man, Matt Smith, about the treatment of former Doctors in preparation of The Anniversary Show. Smith was furious that former Whos were not informed of Moffat's intentions.

- An intense and paranoid jealousy on Moffat's part on the success of Russell T Davies. Moffat does not have the same carte blanche Davies had on the series franchise - with things like The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood outwith his remit.

- Moffat's anger at not being allowed to create his own spin off series.

- Skinner and Moffat's alleged rudeness to Christopher Eccleston's procrastinating which lead to Eccleston refusing to do the Anniversary Show at the eleventh hour (excuse that pun)

- This will be reflected in the Hurt character

- Moffat has been offered a position AWAY from Who for the eighth series and has refused to go.

- The eighth series is ONLY being worked on by Moffat, but NO ONE ELSE including the BBC will commit to it after Christmas.

[bold]- The BBC DO NOT want Moffat to continue. He is refusing to budge.[/bold]

- Huge budget cuts in series 5 and 6 meant that Moffat's original plans had to be curtailed half way through production. This lead to confusing story lines and continuation arcs.

- Big named writers where dumped at the last minute.

- Moffat directly responsible for the split seasons and, worst, the dumping of EIGHT half written scripts.

You may ask yourself why this is important information. It is important because, as of writing, Doctor Who seems unlikely to return in its present form after Christmas. Moffat's plans are not those of the BBC. They may well lose Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman who have committed but on a pro-rata time scale.

If these issues cannot be rectified - and soon - Doctor Who may go into a semi-permanent hiatus, and return as a series of TV Movies or extended episodes once every eighteen months.

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013

(Spoilers? Or Bullshit?)

SERIES EIGHT INTENTIONS:

Davros to return.

The Draconians to get a make over. Possibly in the same story.

There will be more Zygons, not just a cameo as 50th show

Gareth Roberts will write at least two episodes

Neil Cross will return

The Doctor will get a new look. Matt wants the Doctor's costume to evolve. It will involve a scarf and (possibly) a cane.

There will be an episode set by the seaside. Possibly Blackpool

Overseas filming will see a return to America

The death of Clara's mother will be explored

There will be an appearance of Gallifrey

River Song will be a semi-permanent companion.

The 50th Special Show

Doctor Eleven will wear all previous Doctor's costumes.

He gives the new UNIT scientific advisor a scarf

Nicolas Courtney's voice is heard

All loose ends will be tied up ie TARDIS explosion, cracks in Time etc.

Look back at ALL Moffat's arc episodes as there are roots back. He has set up three year long "plot bombs"

Billie Piper has a cameo much shorter than David Tennant's. They are not from the same "era"

There are two TARDISes

Clara has met the Doctor more than three times as an adult. And more than one Doctor

Like the Dream Lord, Hurt's character harks back to a classic show enemy. He plays OMEGA, who is out to get the Doctor due to the destruction of Gallifrey. He pretends to be the Doctor and is able to fool everyone because of the DNA he has - mapped onto the Doctor's from Arc of Infinity.

Torchwood is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 104/30/2013

Wow, those are heavy allegations. I am surprised, if this is true, that they are so powerless against Moffat.

by Anonymousreply 204/30/2013

Didn't Moffat mastermind the incredible "Jekyll" with James Nesbit? Then the even more incredible "Sherlock" with Martin Freeman (little joke there)?

He may be top-of-the-line ass but if he delivers great material that gets the viewers are they really going to get rid of him?

by Anonymousreply 304/30/2013

- An inappropriate working relationship with Caro Skinner, leading to a public row and her ousting.

So he harassed her and as typical the woman pays the price for it.

by Anonymousreply 404/30/2013

[quote]- Huge budget cuts in series 5 and 6 meant that Moffat's original plans had to be curtailed half way through production. This lead to confusing story lines and continuation arcs.

This doesn't make sense. 1) If it was budget cut- why would this count against Moffat? OR 2) A confusing storyline has everything to do with the writer- not the budget. ... Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 504/30/2013

Since Amy Pond & Rory left, the show has been rudderless.

This new half-season so far has been a dud. From 'meh' to downright bad like last week's outing.

I think I'm fine with the show going on hiatus until Moffat is out and replaced.

by Anonymousreply 604/30/2013

[quote]He may be top-of-the-line ass but if he delivers great material that gets the viewers are they really going to get rid of him?

See points nos;

- Senior BBC officials taking a hands on approach to the production after an internal scandal

If he did something BBC could be sued for or that will tarnish the image of the show in the eyes of all it's fans- then YEAH. They will want him gone.

But if he's the typical egomaniacal male-chauvinistic ass-hat who can't see over his own nose- then yeah he's gonna fight it with self-righteous indignation.

I suspect this "leak" is the first volley in a war to get him out. Someone is testing the waters and this is the warning shot. First is the hint of a scandal, drowned in an article amongst several other supposedly artistic reasons he's fallen from grace. Next we'll hear more details about what really went down. I'll bet it was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 704/30/2013

Paging Russell T Davies, STAT.

by Anonymousreply 804/30/2013

It's kind of hard to believe an article that includes both of these statements:

"The BBC are desperate to keep a hold of Steven Moffat because, whatever the fans and critics say about Doctor Who, he has delivered them huge ratings"

" Moffat has been offered a position AWAY from Who for the eighth series and has refused to go. [snip] The BBC DO NOT want Moffat to continue. He is refusing to budge."

Still, it sounds like there are major behind-the-scenes problems, which is one of the things that killed the classic series.

by Anonymousreply 904/30/2013

Didn't we speculate that Karen Gillan has a substance abuse problem?

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2013

If Amy and Rory leaving was unexpected then yeah, the rest would be a mess. They've been hashing together old stories and trying to make it all fit with a new companion.

A new companion that literall has no back story— because they hadn't expected to need one.

Add to this that any given soundbites from various array of Moffat's interviews make him sound like a deep deeded woman-hating psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2013

[quote]Didn't we speculate that Karen Gillan has a substance abuse problem?

I would too if I had to deal with a guy like Moffat on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2013

Not a peep about Mark Gatiss, or of Sue and Beryl Vertue, Moffat's wife and mother-in-law, also crucial elements in the success of the Doctor reboot and Sherlock?

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2013

hu? r14 what do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2013

Interesting, R16.

Tell me, did the nutball find anything in the "Sherlock" scripts that backed up his pedophile theory?

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2013

Get rid of him. The new companion has been a fucking abortion.

So sick of flirty twenty something girls.

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2013

I stopped watching for good at that weird and gross forced pregnancy storyline with Amy being kept in a pod. This is a kids show? I was even reminded of it because of this weeks terrible events.

I'll come back when and if they replace freaky Moffat.

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2013

r15, the item made it sound like Moffat is the autocratic mastermind behind both series when that's not true at all--he's actually part of a closely-knit creative team that shares credit and responsibility for what goes on in both "Doctor Who" and "Sherlock."

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2013

Ah, I see what you mean r14. That's a good point.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2013

That's true when it comes to Sherlock, but not really on DW. DW is supposed to be a team but Moffat is the one calling all the shots, and the turnover for other major players has been pretty high since Moffat started.

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2013

I hate what he's done to DW. I stopped watching mid-way through season five and don't plan to return until he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2013

Welp, Matt Smith is gone. Regeneration at Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 2406/03/2013

So as far as we know 11 will never interact with Capt. Jack. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 2506/03/2013

Neither Sue nor Beryl Vertue have any involvement in (Nu) Doctor Who at all, and Gatiss' involvement is limited to submitting the occasional guest script. So I don't know what r14 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 2606/03/2013

We used to get Dr. Who in the US, but now it's a cable program. I didn't like the original series, so I never tried to follow the current one. I was interested when Barrowman was involved, or was he in torchwood? I can't put these thing together anymore, but its fun reading what you Brits have to say. Without you our dreadful fare on TV would be even worse.

by Anonymousreply 2706/03/2013

Dr. Who?

by Anonymousreply 2806/04/2013

I liked the current companion well enough, even though (or perhaps because) she resembles my 3 year old Pug, but this season has been tedious beyond imagination and the whole thing with the "impossible girl" made no sense. Whoever is directing the creative arc of this series is gone off the rails, or maybe just needs to stop hoovering cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

Wish they'd hurry up and announce Doctor #12.

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.