Kinky Boots

Matilda The Musical

Golden Boy

Trip to Bountiful

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Tom Hanks, Lucky Guy

Nathan Lane, The Nance

Tracy Letts, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

David Hyde Pierce, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike

Tom Sturridge, Orphans

Laurie Metcalf, The Other Place

Amy Morton, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Kristine Nielsen, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike

Holland Taylor, Ann

Cicely Tyson, The Trip to Bountiful

Bertie Carvel, Matilda The Musical

Santino Fontana, Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella

Rob McClure, Chaplin

Billy Porter, Kinky Boots

Stark Sands, Kinky Boots

Stephanie J. Block, The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Carolee Carmello, Scandalous

Valisia LeKae, Motown The Musical

Patina Miller, Pippin

Laura Osnes, Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella

by Anonymousreply 6405/30/2013

There will be blood.

by Anonymousreply 104/30/2013

ORPHANS for Best Revival? Lord, it wasn't any better than THE HEIRESS.

by Anonymousreply 204/30/2013

Sigourney got justifiably meh-to-poor reviews for Vanya, Sonia et. al. She was the weak link amid three excellent performances.

by Anonymousreply 304/30/2013

No Tony nomination for Bette Midler or I'll Eat You Last. No Tony nomination for Douglas Carter Beane for The Nance. Shocking!

by Anonymousreply 404/30/2013

Bump. Two hours between responses is UNSCCEPTABLE!!!

by Anonymousreply 504/30/2013

It's Laurie Metcalf's to lose. Bette should be there.

by Anonymousreply 604/30/2013

Oh, and Billy Porter for boots WILL WIN.

by Anonymousreply 704/30/2013

This place is dead, R5.

by Anonymousreply 804/30/2013

They are all at the theater thread.

by Anonymousreply 904/30/2013

If by "this place" you mean New York theater, then sure, r8

by Anonymousreply 1004/30/2013

Jessica Hecht was robbed. Bette, no.

by Anonymousreply 1104/30/2013

Was Chita nominated?

by Anonymousreply 1204/30/2013

Oh, my walls! My pretty walls!

by Anonymousreply 1304/30/2013 was saying Cicely Tyson, not Laurie Metcalf, was the frontrunner for best actress in a play.

I don't live in New York City, so I don't know and don't have a horse in any Tonys' races.

by Anonymousreply 1404/30/2013

If Cyndi Lauper wins a Tony she would only need an Oscar to be EGOT.

If Tom Hanks wins the Tony he would only need the Grammy to be EGOT

by Anonymousreply 1504/30/2013

Wow! Bombshell didn't get a single Tony nomination. I bet Eileen is hurling drinks like a major league pitcher.

by Anonymousreply 1604/30/2013

"Sigourney got justifiably meh-to-poor reviews for Vanya, Sonia et. al. She was the weak link amid three excellent performances."

I saw her when the show ran at the Newhouse and thought she was fine, though Nielsen was excellent. Something must have happened on the way to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1704/30/2013

Motown The Musical was overlooked. Nothing for the new Jekyll and Hyde, either.

by Anonymousreply 1804/30/2013

Knowing not much about Broadway, are these nominations based on whose friend produces a show or whose friend stars in a production?

by Anonymousreply 1904/30/2013

Not at all, R19. I'm a widely known entertainer and I produced a show a while back. Got 4 noms but 0 wins. It's very political and designed to boost the shows they think are going to bring the most tourist dollars to town.

by Anonymousreply 2004/30/2013

The musical nominations list reads more like the Effie Awards for Marketing Effectiveness.

by Anonymousreply 2104/30/2013

Sadly, I am shocked to see that this thread has not even come close to 200 bitchy and incredibly upset posts by now.

by Anonymousreply 2204/30/2013

What's a TONY?

by Anonymousreply 2304/30/2013

R23: Ask one of your six roommates.

by Anonymousreply 2404/30/2013

Did "Toni" Perry play for our team?

by Anonymousreply 2504/30/2013

I'm really shocked Bette Midler didn't get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 2604/30/2013

But really DLers, who are we to second guess the academy?

by Anonymousreply 2704/30/2013

Billy Magnussen got nominated!!!

by Anonymousreply 2804/30/2013

I wrote on the theater thread that I had a feeling that Bette wasn't going to nominated, but everyone said, there's no way in hell she won't get nominated.

Well, she wasn't nominated, so I ask my question again.

My friend who is a Tony voter is taking me to the Bette Midler play and has rsvp'd her tony tix for it. Now that she isn't nominated, will our tickets be taken back?

by Anonymousreply 2904/30/2013

did they really need yet another fucking best actress nomination for 'who's afraid of virginia woolf"???? is that play revived every fucking year?

by Anonymousreply 3004/30/2013

Pulling for Cyndi Lauper for score. Yeah, R23, funny! But not every under-30 knows theater. Or cares. But how can anyone live in the city and NOT know about fashion and theater? Don't they eat out?

by Anonymousreply 3104/30/2013

How in the world did Bette not get nominated? All the Theater queens on the boards are always screaming if The Times like you, it's a lock, and if they don't, just pack it in.

"Bring It On" was a ridiculous choice and Boo for ignoring the "A Christmas Story" cast.

by Anonymousreply 3204/30/2013

Carolee Carmello and Rob McClure got the annual "Our shows didn't run very long and closed a long time ago" nominations.

by Anonymousreply 3304/30/2013

Chicago's Steppenwolf is well represented this year. I know they've had some huge NYC flops, but it's refreshing to see a regional company theatre to be recognized again. Good luck to all the ensemble members!

by Anonymousreply 3404/30/2013

Wow, I've actually seen Tony nominated performances!!! Caught Tracy Letts and Amy Morton in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" during it's DC run (Arena Stage). They were phenomenal, but I'll admit that I don't know how they stack up against the competition. I've never seen a Broadway play (on Broadway) before...

by Anonymousreply 3504/30/2013

How old are you, r35? Just curious

by Anonymousreply 3605/01/2013

R35 I saw the DC production too. It was exhausting but awesome! I can't believe Fiona Shaw was snubbed. They just announced the closing dates too.

by Anonymousreply 3705/01/2013

NEW YORK­­—With the announcement of the 67th Annual Tony Award nominations Tuesday morning, new Broadway musical Loud, Desperate Need For Approval is leading the pack with an impressive 13 nominations while chief rival Look At Me, Look At Me, Please, God, Look At Me follows close behind with 11 nods in many of the same categories. “This has been an incredible year for Broadway; so competitive, in fact, that even a great show like All-Consuming Narcissism might actually get shut out,” said entertainment reporter Mike Fleming Jr., who went on to say that competition for actors is equally fierce as heavyweights Bottomless Need For Validation Stemming From Childhood Neglect and Naked Self-Obsession face off for best leading actor in a play. “The adaptation of Shrill, Needy Histrionics got a surprising amount of love from Tony nominators for a play that closed in March to mixed reviews, but perhaps the biggest surprise is British import Shameless And Barely Disguised Cry For Attention’s snub. No one saw that coming.” According to sources, despite the buzz surrounding Flashy, Masturbatory Horseshit for best revival of a musical, sources confirm that it is almost certainly Pippin’s year.

by Anonymousreply 3805/01/2013

(R30) Wondering if you actually saw Amy Morton & Tracy Letts in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? They were phenomenal. The whole production was just electric - and I'd seen other VWs before and hadn't particularly wanted to see this one, was offered a free ticket. Nominations well earned, wins would be as well.

by Anonymousreply 3905/01/2013

This year's theater season must have been a complete bust, if the Tony thread is so sparse and most of the posts are on Bette.

by Anonymousreply 4005/01/2013

Bette will present from a wheelchair as Delores DelGado!

by Anonymousreply 4105/03/2013

[quote]Bette will present from a wheelchair as Delores DelGado!

Turn in your gay card!

by Anonymousreply 4205/03/2013

Kinky Boots!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4305/03/2013

I notice TV awards always slobber all over movie actors if they deign to appear in a tv movie or miniseries, and now it looks like the Tonys are the same

by Anonymousreply 4405/03/2013

Is anyone else really tired of Chicago's Steppenwolfe Theatre? I'm so over them and their pretentions of quality.

by Anonymousreply 4505/03/2013

'Adore' at Steppenwolf made me a fan for life. See it if you ever have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 4605/03/2013

The only locks are Andrea Martin for Best Featured Actress in Pippin and Pippin as Best Musical Revival.

Literally, all other categories are up for grabs and anybody's guess.

by Anonymousreply 4705/03/2013

Cinderella for costumes is also pretty close to a lock.

by Anonymousreply 4805/03/2013

That "Hands on A Hard Body" got even one nomination for anything speaks to the sad state of this year's field. And Broadway in general.

by Anonymousreply 4905/03/2013

I think it's pretty certain that Tom Hanks is a lock to win Best Actor

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2013

Not so sure about Hanks.

I could see dark horse Tom Sturridge coming up from behind simply because he is giving the most skilled performance.

But then I could see Nathan winning just for old time's sake (and once again carrying a big old dead moose of a show on his back).

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2013

Matilda's a lock but Cyndi will get Music. Patina Miller is a lock too.

by Anonymousreply 5205/04/2013

[quote]Cyndi will get Music

This makes me cry, but you're probably right. She's much loved and she's doing all the right things now, schmoozing and cozying up to the right people. Smart girl.

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2013

Tom Hanks better not win, I hate seeing big name movie stars at the Tonys. He's over now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2013

I knew I shouldn't have let that kid in my fucking tap number.

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2013

Lots of anti-British and just plain anti-backlash for Matilda so don't be surprised if Kinky Boots and its much loved and respected producer Daryl Roth take that Best Musical Tony. No locks there, folks!

by Anonymousreply 5605/04/2013

Since Pippin is sure to win a few Tonys they may give one to Laura Osnes just to placate the Cinderella crowd.

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2013

I hope Osnes wins, she was fantastic in Bonnie and Clyde. I suspect they'll make her wait since she was the winner of a reality TV series.

No one could have defeated Audra Ann last year. Otherwise we could have seen Osnes with the win.

by Anonymousreply 5805/07/2013

Can't believe the piece of shit "Bring It On" got nommed. "Kinky" looks and sounds like an ep. of "Glee" - "Matilda" looks like pretentious twaddle. "I'll pass!" Kaye Medford as Mrs. Thurber in "Butterfield 8"

by Anonymousreply 5905/07/2013

The Tony committee was kind to Richard Kind. He was ok in THE BIG KNIFE, but since everyone else was so bad, it just seemed like he was doing better work.

by Anonymousreply 6005/08/2013

Laura Osnes is unbearably bland. She doesn't deserve the Tony for Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 6105/09/2013

God r15 I hope Cyndi wins the Tony and then at some point an Oscar, Madonna's head would explode.

by Anonymousreply 6205/09/2013

People like Matilda, but is it a steamroller like The Producers or The Book of Mormon?

by Anonymousreply 6305/09/2013

Holland Taylor has been forgetting lines in her own plays during the Tony Voters period.

by Anonymousreply 6405/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!