Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Gabourey Sidibe

Gabourey Sidibe is heading from The Big C to American Horror Story: Coven. our editor recommends 'American Horror Story' at PaleyFest: Season 3 Title Revealed 'American Horror Story' Enlists Kathy Bates for Season 3 'American Horror Story' Adds Frances Conroy, Taissa Farmiga for Season 3 'American Horror Story': Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters Returning for Season 3 'The Big C' Final Season: Does Cathy Have to Die?

The Oscar nominee (Precious) has been added to the cast of the third season of the FX anthology series, showrunner Ryan Murphy revealed Monday.

"Thrilled to announce Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe is joining the cast of 'American Horror Story: Coven,' " Murphy tweeted.

Sidibe joins a cast that includes new addition Kathy Bates and returning players Jessica Lange, Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Taissa Farmiga, Frances Conroy and Lily Rabe.

Details on just who Sidibe will play are being kept under wraps.

Murphy's announcement comes the same day that the final season of Showtime's The Big C: Hereafter begins its first of the cancer dramedy's final four episodes. Sidibe plays Andrea, an aspiring fashion student in the Laura Linney starrer.

While little is known about season three of the witch-themed American Horror Story: Coven, producers said at PaleyFest in March the series would again search for haunted places in America. Murphy previously told The Hollywood Reporter that next year would feature three characters playing real people, including previously announced castmember Bates.

"It's a really cool story that we've been talking for a couple years, and this seemed to be the year to do it," he said, noting the series will shoot in multiple locations, one of which is New Orleans -- the first time the series has exited its soundstage filming location.

Sidibe is repped by UTA, Principal Entertainment and Felker Toczek.

by Anonymousreply 8605/13/2013

This kind of ruins the show for me. I'm uncomfortable watching her. She's just too obese.

by Anonymousreply 204/29/2013

Jessica Lange will eat her alive. Or will it be the other way around?

by Anonymousreply 304/29/2013

I am also disappointed in this bit of casting news, r2. How can I say this without sounding like a real twat? I cannot look at her for more than a minute without becoming repulsed. I don't even think she's that good an actress. Her casting makes me wonder if they are going to New Orleans for a possible Hoodoo flashback story line. Now flame away, Sidibe fans.

by Anonymousreply 404/29/2013

Didn't someone else already leak they're doing next season in New Orleans?

It's also been hinted at that it might involve a dance academy in NOLA, as part of Ryan Murphy's shout-out to SUSPIRIA, one of the greatest of all witch movies.

by Anonymousreply 504/29/2013

She can't act.

by Anonymousreply 604/29/2013

Let's add some men. Evan Peters doesn't quite cut it as a grown-up. Where's Dermot? Quinto? Even the overacting Denis O'Hare! Let's get some fresh new people, not just the same old same old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 704/29/2013

If they try her as a witch and hang her from a tree.... wait, they wouldn't do that, would they?

by Anonymousreply 804/29/2013

I'll probably end up seeing her on AHS before I ever see Precious. If she's good enough on AHS, maybe it'll inspire me to watch Precious.

by Anonymousreply 904/29/2013

Why are you so against watching Precious r9? It's by no means a subtle film but it's worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 1004/29/2013

I'm not "so against it" I just don't watch every movie. Some people like movies more than others.

by Anonymousreply 1104/29/2013

I hope they've adjusted the craft services budget appropriately.

by Anonymousreply 1304/29/2013

I hate all things Ryan Murphy. What a self-obsessed douche.

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2013

Expect a newt shortage if she plays a witch.

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2013

They're changing this season's title to "American Horror Story: Pantry"

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2013

You're terrible, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1704/29/2013

Gabby AND Kathy? I'm sure AH3 will have the best craft services spread in California!

by Anonymousreply 1804/29/2013

[quote]She can't act.

Neither can you, but she has twenty one acting award nominations. What's your point?

by Anonymousreply 1904/29/2013

Then don't watch if you are so disgusted by her. She might do a good job on the show. I'm not a fan of her. But the fat jokes are old now.

by Anonymousreply 2004/29/2013

[quote] Sidibe plays Andrea, an aspiring fashion student, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 2104/29/2013

"Neither can you"

Speaking of 'What's your point?'...

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2013

Fat jokes are NEVER old.

by Anonymousreply 2304/29/2013

how do you know op can't act r19? and you don't have to be a chicken to judge an egg.

by Anonymousreply 2404/29/2013

Too many old ladies set for this season. Is that the target demographic?

by Anonymousreply 2504/29/2013

[quote] Gabby AND Kathy? I'm sure AH3 will have the best craft services spread in California!

Except, they won't be shooting in California...

by Anonymousreply 2604/29/2013

Have any of you seen the movie Burn, Witch, Burn! with gay hottie Peter Wyngarde? It was on TCM this month. It's so, so, so good! Make sure you watch it if they ever show it again. It's about witchcraft. The director must be gay because Peter's hot body was on display throughout.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2013

I prefer Night of the Demon, which was loosely remade as Drag Me To Hell. It really needs to be put out on Bluray, some of the effects are quite good, especially for 1957.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2013

Just a guess. Salem: the Witchcraft trials with an emphasis on the relationship between Abby, the original accuser, and Tituba, the Bajan slave. The twist: they really were witches. New Orleans: the Marie Laveau/Madama Delphine LaLaurie rivalry and possibly The Devil Baby of Bourbon Street. New York: a witch coven who's members were/are famous divas in the ballet world. The story is set in the fifties in a dance academy, as an homage to Suspiria. The plot: a rivalry/war between the modern day covens of Salem, New York and the Hoodoo Queens of New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2013

Her performance in Precious was amateurish because she was an amateur. She was amusing in Tower Heist but the Caribbean accent helped.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2013

Jessica Lange will play a "Glamour Cat." As she says in the clip....what is a Glamour Cat?

by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2013

[quote] Jessica Lange will play a "Glamour Cat." As she says in the clip....what is a Glamour Cat?

Grizabella the Glamour Cat

Grizabella the Glamour Cat

Who would ever suppose that that

Was Grizabella the Glamour Cat

by Anonymousreply 3304/29/2013

She's really wooden in The Big C, but last season AHS cast a number of actors we barely got to see so I'm hoping she won't wreck it

by Anonymousreply 3404/29/2013

I think this upcoming season of "AHS" will be a better vehicle for Gabourey than "The Big C."

Why can't Jamie Brewer come back? She played "the mongoloid" (as she was called on the show sometimes) in season one and worked really naturally with Jessica Lange. Ryan Murphy claims that Kathy Bates' character will be like Sarah Palin and so Jamie Brewer should play her daughter then.

by Anonymousreply 3504/29/2013

So is Kathy is going to play a politician who sold her soul for power or a fundie witch hunter? Or both? I think Jessica is the glamorous Head Mistress of a school for dance and the Priestess of her coven. I hope Lilly Rabe gets to play a character from New Orleans. A sexy Cajun!

by Anonymousreply 3604/29/2013

Fuck the haters. So hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 3704/29/2013

Sounds like the cast of a Madea movie.

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2013

They were really mean to Gabby in Seven Psychopaths....

by Anonymousreply 3904/29/2013

Maybe she seems wooden because her face is so fat she can't make many expressions.

by Anonymousreply 4004/29/2013

Wow r35, nice to see Ryan has the balls to skewer Sarah Palin and not deny it.

by Anonymousreply 4104/29/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4204/29/2013

I thought she was great in the Foster the People music video, "Don't Stop."

Actually, I just liked the video because of the cute gay guys at the end...

by Anonymousreply 4304/29/2013

Game Change didn't skewer Sarah Palin, they played it safe and humanized her as much as mocked her. Kathy is the villain of season 3, if she's based on Palin, that's going to be a skewering.

by Anonymousreply 4404/29/2013

I liked Game Change very much and at moments they did make her seem human overall it was very unflattering to Palin. Skewering her has been done before ....

I just hope they have a more focused story instead just throwing a bunch of ideas on the screen I doubt they will. Like Murphy said it's just a tv show...

by Anonymousreply 4504/30/2013

[quote]Yes it's so ballsy to skewer Sarah Palin

and timely too.

by Anonymousreply 4604/30/2013

"Just a tv show", some off-hand comment like that is supposed to sum up the show? Season 2 was very heavy on the pro-gay messages, it's a political issue Ryan cares a lot about. It might also be why he wants to go after Palin, a vocal homophobe (such as her photo-op purchasing Chik-Fil-A), her daughters as well.

by Anonymousreply 4704/30/2013

That's great Murphy has pro gay stories but can't he give me a good tv show too?

AHs is fascinating to watch because of Lange and some of the other actors NOT because of it's anything goes(not one but 6 serial killers) story lines...

by Anonymousreply 4804/30/2013

Maybe she'll star in season three the samw way Adam Levine starred in season two.

by Anonymousreply 4904/30/2013

AHS is a good TV show, but I agree that in general he's pretty awful. I loved Popular, but that went off the rails in Season 2. Nip/Tuck had two great seasons and then lost its fucking mind. Glee? I think he thinks of Glee as an experiment and he doesn't even try to make sense on that mess.

But I like American Horror Story a lot.

by Anonymousreply 5004/30/2013

AHS needs to bring back Ian McShane in some capacity. He was just epic as the "Killer Santa" who crucified the Monsignor ( Joseph Fiennes) last season!

by Anonymousreply 5104/30/2013

A good horror story has to be based in reality...

Maybe Gabby will be in the show like Kelly Ripa's husband . I don't even remember him being on it ...

by Anonymousreply 5204/30/2013

That was odd with Kelly Ripa's husband. He was like a glorified extra. Why did he fly all the way to LA just for that?

by Anonymousreply 5304/30/2013

Are you kidding, R46? People LOVE to still hear about a 2008 vice-presidential candidate in 2013!

Also, how ELSE do you fill 41 minutes of a Bravo stand-up special?

by Anonymousreply 5404/30/2013

They're not going to "hear about" Palin, the character won't be named Sarah Palin, it's just going to be based on her. It'll be a parody of her odious personality type, duh.

by Anonymousreply 5504/30/2013

It's difficult to look at Gabby without becoming completely preoccupieed with her enormous size.

I don't know, maybe the casting of 'Precious' will work. Let's just be thankful that 'American Horror Story' didn't cast Mo'Nique and her ghetto talk and attitude.

by Anonymousreply 5604/30/2013

R53, a lot of his scenes were cut.

by Anonymousreply 5704/30/2013

I don't mind Gabby. Hope she does a better job than she did on The Big C, though. I agree they need more men. I know witches are supposed to be the theme, but it's an extremely old lady heavy cast right now.

by Anonymousreply 5804/30/2013

It's a pity that Zelda Rubinstein is dead. This show would have been perfect for her.

by Anonymousreply 5904/30/2013

R19, I think I love you! that was too good. For all you shallow queens that can't watch a show if someone fat is playing a role...I don't think AMH casting gives a damn.

by Anonymousreply 6004/30/2013

R30, I like your thoughts on possible plots for the next AHS season especially your thoughts on the New Orleans part of the show.

I think it would make for an excellent season if they get into the lives of Marie Laveau and Delphine LaLaurie. I'd never heard of the Devil Baby of Bourbon Street but after a quick bit of reading about it the Devil Baby seems like a perfect fit for a storyline for the show.

Maybe if they did those story lines but set them in modern times?

by Anonymousreply 6104/30/2013

I'll say one thing: this girl's got great "people." I remember people predicting that she'd never work again after Precious and she hasn't *stopped* working. Whatever you think about her, her size, or her talent, she is one of 7 (I think) Black actresses in HISTORY that were nominated for the Best Actress academy award. That definitely means something and holds some weight, even if she's not gonna be the female lead in tentpole blockbusters. And by all accounts, she's a very likable sweetheart on set. Being easy to work with also keeps getting you cast.

by Anonymousreply 6204/30/2013

I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 6304/30/2013

[quote]Whatever you think about her, ...she is one of 7Black actresses in HISTORY that were nominated for the Best Actress academy award. That definitely means something

Yes. It means she was a token of guilt ridden Hollywood and someone else more deserving of the honor of a nomination suffered and was looked-over by this young woman who'd done nothing to merit the level of accolades gushed on her, other than being born black.

by Anonymousreply 6404/30/2013

r41 What power does Sarah Palin have?

by Anonymousreply 6504/30/2013

Gabourey will portray a beautiful young dancer at Jessica Lange's academy who wants to make it as a professional ballerina.

by Anonymousreply 6604/30/2013

Who will be the biggest cunt on set, Gabourey or Ryan Murphy?

by Anonymousreply 6704/30/2013

Why would Gabourey be a cunt? By all accounts, she's great to work with.

I think Murphy must have an obsession with EXTREMELY fat women. Nip/Tuck had a couple of storylines with huge women. Glee had Lauren Zises and that huge lunch lady.

by Anonymousreply 6804/30/2013

ruh, roh. Gabby is on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. 11:35pm EST. Plus, Andy Dick. Sounds like a party.

by Anonymousreply 6904/30/2013

[quote]Yes. It means she was a token of guilt ridden Hollywood and someone else more deserving of the honor of a nomination suffered and was looked-over by this young woman who'd done nothing to merit the level of accolades gushed on her, other than being born black.

Oh calm down, Mary. Look at the nominations year after year. It's always filled with people who've done nothing to merit the level of accolades gushed on them and they're all usually white, mostly young, "of the moment, it" girls.

by Anonymousreply 7005/01/2013

[quote]Why would Gabourey be a cunt? By all accounts, she's great to work with.

Didn't Gabby cause problems by being a diva at the White House Correspondents dinner a few years ago?

(and I don't mean because she ate all of the NBC guest's entrees)

by Anonymousreply 7105/01/2013

Sidibe snorts when she laughs. Yes, like a pig. Where is this "charm" some of you are talking about? I watched her on Kimmel and she was boring to listen and gross to look at. Kimmel tried his best to make her look interesting but the man is not a miracle worker.

by Anonymousreply 7205/01/2013

R64 probably doesn't get upset when nothings like Ghoulia Roberts, Grease Witherspoon and GOOP get nominated for Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 7305/01/2013

Thank you R70. Whenever a black female is nominated it's always a problem.

by Anonymousreply 7405/05/2013

[quote]Fat jokes are NEVER old.

I keep reading fag instead of fat.

by Anonymousreply 7505/05/2013

Gabourney is going to play the cauldron.

by Anonymousreply 7605/05/2013

And Patti is now joining...

by Anonymousreply 7705/12/2013

Who is Patti?

by Anonymousreply 7805/12/2013

I wish it was Duke instead the biggest bitch of Broadway...

by Anonymousreply 7905/12/2013

[quote] Who is Patti?

LuPone. Along with Angela Basset.

by Anonymousreply 8005/12/2013

Dolls, I'm playing a witch. That's a stretch, I know!

by Anonymousreply 8105/12/2013

I'm sure her sights will be hell bent on hogging the service trays on set during filming.

by Anonymousreply 8205/13/2013

In this New Orleans-set season, Gabourey will lie on her back and bare her stomach to play the very important part of the Superdome.

by Anonymousreply 8305/13/2013

In the finale it is revealed the whole season has taken place inside her belly button.

by Anonymousreply 8405/13/2013

She's on Wendy Williams right now, Wendy commented on her perfume and Giblets said she "layers her scents". To cover the stench. Aaaand, she's snorting when she laughs. Just like Babe. Oh, and her last boyfriend was gay. Her head sits atop her Gabba the Hut like body like one of those milk chocolate talking M&M's. She's the full package.

by Anonymousreply 8505/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!