Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does a good sofa exist? Need help finding a decent sofa.

I've owned three sofas in my life and they have all worn out in a couple of years. They weren't supportive and were uncomfortable to sleep on.

Look on Craigslist for sofas and you'll find a bunch of droopy misshapen cushions and wear and tear. Sofas just look bad after a few months.

Is there something out there that's worth looking at? Anyone here know furniture who can lead me in e right direction?

And yes, my sofas have been designer brands ($2000 and up in price) and no, I am not fat. Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2014

So are you buying new or looking on Craig's list? There are good sofas in the marketplace. My Room and Board sofa is eight years old and still looks and feels like new.

by Anonymousreply 104/29/2013

Uh , sleeping is best done on a BED!!

by Anonymousreply 204/29/2013

R1, I'm looking both online and in stores. I sometimes just search Craigslist to see how certain brands/styles hold up.

My guests sleep on my sofa. I don't have a guest room, r2.

by Anonymousreply 304/29/2013

Even if you're buying a "designer" sofa at 2k, you're still buying a cheaply made sofa. No wonder you find the uncomfortable. You need to spend real money and have one custom made.

by Anonymousreply 404/29/2013

Pm bump

by Anonymousreply 504/29/2013

Bernhardt, great collection...over a decade old, still fabulous. I used to get it professionally cleaned, now, since it has aged I dare to unzipped and wash in my front loader. Air dry. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 604/29/2013

"And yes, my sofas have been designer brands ($2000 and up in price)"

Then you're a sucker.

You can get a very nice sofa for half the price of that.

by Anonymousreply 704/29/2013

OP, when you say it wasn't supportive, do you mean like this?

by Anonymousreply 804/29/2013

Here is a great article from the NY Times that explains the differences that cost more and why.

Be sure to go o the multimedia link that has graphics that make it simple.

by Anonymousreply 904/29/2013

I got my sofa at Crate & Barrel almost 20 years ago and it is still in good condition. I needed a smaller sofa for my condo and something that would blend in with what I thought might be my changing tastes in style. C&B had a dark green (no worries about stains) contemporary discontinued model on sale for about $600.

I didn't have 6 year old twins jumping up and down so I didn't need the best made sofa and this has proven perfect through the years. If I can't find a good substitute I may have this re-stuffed and recovered though that can get very expensive and I prefer more modern or MCM looking styles now.

My most important need is that it be comfortable to lay on and read or take naps.

by Anonymousreply 1004/29/2013

$11,000 for a sofa is decadent

by Anonymousreply 1104/29/2013

I need help finding an indecent sofa. All tips appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 1204/29/2013

Oops lie on. See what happens when I'm lying comfortably on my sofa.

by Anonymousreply 1304/29/2013

Flex-Steel makes a sturdy sofa.

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2013

One word: Flexsteel.

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2013

I purchased a feather down sofa. It was great whenit was new, however, the down is now smashed and there is only so much "fluffing" of the cushions that can be done. I now have to find an upholsterer to re-stuff the seat cushions. I would not purchase another one.

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2013

A good justification of cost is to try and see how much you are paying per use or per week.

The $12,000 sofa costs about $230 a week for one year's use. Say you plan to keep it for 10 years - now you are paying $23 a week to own, use, and share a piece of design in your living area. Some might say that $23 a week is worth it if they like to indulge themselves, entertain friends, or even enjoy the feeling of living in a perfectly (insert your own preferred adjective here) space.

Linked is a 2002 collection. This is what your $23 a week looks like at the end of your use. Perhaps this collection will look good for another 10 years or more (try that with Restoration Hardware). At the 20 year point you've paid $11.50 a week or the equivalent of one trip to Starbucks - latte and scone - for the privilege.

by Anonymousreply 1704/29/2013

If you entertain a lot, are you really going to be able to keep a sofa for 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 1804/29/2013

what do you guys think of chaise lounges?

do you think they are cool or tacky?

by Anonymousreply 1904/29/2013

Depends, r18, if the couches are used for sitting or fucking.

by Anonymousreply 2004/29/2013

Hancock and Moore...wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 2104/29/2013

We were talking about entertaining... who entertains by sitting?

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2013

You don't sleep on couches. Period. Your guests should pay for a hotel room if you can't afford a place with a spare bedroom. And you don't look on Craig's list for a sofa that lasts. You look in furniture stores.

Buying a used sofa and having people sleep on it -- are you a hillbilly?

by Anonymousreply 2304/29/2013

My furniture salesman said the easiest way to ruin a couch/sofa is to have people sleep on them. That said, the reality is that I do have people (including myself) fall asleep horizontally on occasion. I have Flexsteel and the pillows are all out of sorts but the bones are still good. Take that as you will...

by Anonymousreply 2404/29/2013

Room & Board. No contest.

Fantastic quality for the price.

And everything is handmade in North Carolina, if you care about that buy-domestic thing.

by Anonymousreply 2504/29/2013

Heavy Ralph Lauren sofa. Had it 15 years. Not cheap. (Best napping spot I've ever owned too.)

by Anonymousreply 2604/29/2013

Generally, conversations between two people are done seated. Watching a movie calls for sitting down as well. What has your experience been?

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2013

The joke was... nevermind, I'm not going to explain it.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2013

I'm very thick, r28. I've stopped buying books to afford my Eames chairs. You should explain the joke out of sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2013

Anyone recognize the music/artist at r17 link?

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2013

How is the quality on Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams stuff? I sat on the Kennedy this weekend and it felt cheaply constructed, but I liked whatever they call their Chesterfield sofa. It felt really solid.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2013

Barcelona sofa. Knoll.

by Anonymousreply 3204/30/2013

The best sofa I ever owned was purchased on sale at Levitz for 699. It was SOOOO comfortable. I used to get the best naps on there... pure bliss. It lasted about 10 years and then I replaced it with one that looks superior, from Crate & Barrel. It was about 2K. Totally uncomfortable. Never get a great nap on it.... have had it about 3 years and am seriously contemplating replacing it... need a comfy nap spot.

by Anonymousreply 3304/30/2013

I've narrowed my search down to Flexsteel. And they're reasonably priced.

by Anonymousreply 3504/30/2013

Sounds like The Crystal Method, r30. I'm not really sure. It's very hip, though. Let us know if you find out!

by Anonymousreply 3604/30/2013

The best, longest-lasting sofa I ever had was a brand called Selig. I think they're no longer manufactured, though.

by Anonymousreply 3704/30/2013

I have one more than 30 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3804/30/2013

R31, the Mitchell Gold sofa, chair and ottoman I have started looking like crap after about 5 years. Mine were slip covered. The fabric is all worn and has torn in several places. The cushions don't hold their shape. I'd stay away from them.

by Anonymousreply 3904/30/2013

Would love to get some opinions, I'm thinking of getting a couch made. I live in LA and a friend is a Production Designer and has a connection to a guy that has made some pieces for her personally and for some TV/movie projects.

As far as cushions, bench or separate? Foam or combo foam and feather?

Are those Z shaped "springs" good enough or should I pay for coil springs?

Any other ideas or experiences anyone would like to share appreciated.

I'm planning to spend $3 to $4,000.

by Anonymousreply 4004/30/2013

I never understood how people could sleep in chairs until I bought an Ekornes. Does anyone have one of their sofas? I'd like to know how they measure up.

by Anonymousreply 4105/01/2013

Just had an old couch completely re-cushioned and reupholstered. He does Amazing work and frequently does high end pieces for various designers at PDC.

Find him on Yelp. D&R upholstery on Beverly.

He is so busy - it's hard to get to him by phone. Go to his website and email Roberto directly. Nicest, sweetest guy. Meet him at his office and he will talk to you about custom sofa, prices, etc. Or fixing a vintage piece.

by Anonymousreply 4205/01/2013

Don't flame me for shopping at Raymour & Flanigan.

I bought this two years ago and it is without doubt the most incredibly comfy seating I have ever rested upon. Extremely supportive, and looks new despite lots of wear. I have taken the back cushions off and it is almost the width of a twin bed. Heaven for napping and lounging.

by Anonymousreply 4305/01/2013

My post was for the Los Angeles resident.

by Anonymousreply 4405/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 4505/01/2013

I have a 22 year old Castro sleeper that was used for guests and when I stayed in my apartment instead of my ex's. Now my partner and I sleep in it every night.

We replaced the cushion insert and the mattress twice.

It looks terrific, it's comfortable, and cost $1100 new because it was special order.

by Anonymousreply 4605/01/2013

Here I am on my sofa. I highly recommend it. It's so comfy!

by Anonymousreply 4705/01/2013

I just ordered a Flexsteel sofa - $1000. I bought it for guest seating not to sleep on. If I want to sleep in the living room I have an Ekornes chair. If I tire of it or it doesn't last I can buy another in a few years. Make sure you measure so you know what will fit the space comfortably. There's quite a size range for simple sofas.

by Anonymousreply 4806/12/2013

If you want a really good sofa, don't look to others - look inside.

by Anonymousreply 4906/12/2013

I've got a free couch for you. But you can tell where his small shoes with lifts jumped up and down on it----and the beginnings of some bearding. I must also warn you though that a career died on that sofa.

by Anonymousreply 5006/12/2013

Room and Board's stuff is nice, and we've had luck with a lot of their other pieces, but I have to say that while the couch itself is still sturdy and comfy, the fabric ages badly.

We've had our couch for almost 5 years and it looks twice as old.

by Anonymousreply 5106/13/2013

Sofa King Great!

by Anonymousreply 5206/14/2013

Though they are used, sofas left on the curb do allow for a lot of convenience in trying them out. Another convenient way to find out about various sofas is to ask neighbors about the models they have on the porch, and perhaps ask if you could sit for a spell to try them for yourself. You can usually find a greater variety that way than you can in a showroom.

by Anonymousreply 5306/14/2013

My advice for you OP as a professional designer for ASHLEY is to skip the traditional "sofa" in favor of wall to wall mattresses. You can lounge and sleep at will on nearly every square inch and clean up is a breeze, just cut large trash bags into rectangles and drape across the surface. A garden hose can freshen any soiled spots or handily remove any food debris. To maximize your prostrate experience, have a low flow toilet installed off to one side of the room virtually eliminating the need to move even if you need to defecate.

by Anonymousreply 5406/14/2013

I would never buy a couch online. You need to see, it, poke it, lie on it and look underneath to see if it well made. Look for loose threads. Check the grain of the fabric - although leather is best, IMO. Even if you know nothing about joinery, you will find that the more crappy couches you look at, the better sense you get of what constitutes quality.

by Anonymousreply 5506/14/2013

OP, I got an amazing Crate & Barrel 93" Lounger sofa. It's like a second bed it's so huge. And comfy! It's filled in goose down.

I know many DL'ers hate Crate & Barrel (and Pottery Barn and the like) but this sofa totally rocks.

You can get it for 1699. So it's within your budget. Just make sure your room is big enough. It's really large.

by Anonymousreply 5606/14/2013

I have been asking myself that too. My husband and I bought 2 flex steel recliners. They felt dreamy in the store but once we got them delivered brand new they were the most uncomfortable chairs we have ever sat in. The chairs still look brand new they look very comfy but god they hurt like hell to sit in never mind watch a hour long movie. We are looking for comfortable furniture but realize what they sell in the show room floors isn't what your getting when delivered brand new to your home. We will only buy show room models I will never trust a piece of furniture delivered from the warehouse again. we spent 1100. before tax on each recliner.

by Anonymousreply 5712/10/2013

R-31 - Mitchell Gold is the best. I purchased the Chesterfield sofa with the chairs about 6 years ago and they are still in marvelous condition. It's solid, well crafted and durable. It's gorgeous and is classic. This style is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 5812/11/2013

Flexsteel but look for the lines they still manufacture in America. They have a cheap line that isn't as good. They last and you have all the fabric and style choices available.

by Anonymousreply 5912/11/2013

r42, roberto is my upholsterer. he's awesome if you are looking to refurbish vintage furniture in LA.

for buying a new sofa anywhere in the US, room and board is good quality for the price. in stock models will get to you in a week. all made in NC, as is most of crate and barrel's stuff. lee industries manufactures for both i believe.

by Anonymousreply 6012/11/2013

More about flexsteel please?

by Anonymousreply 6112/12/2013

More on Flaxseed sofas.

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!