Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Maron" in IFC

Do we really need another version of "Louie" with an even less attractive guy?

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013

I watched it. There were parts that I found weirdly homophobic, and I'm not the type to constantly call homophobia. Also, man...this guy. Everything that happened, and every line that someone said was only to serve him. Other shows, like Louie, at least have the decency to pretend it's not all about one person. The ego on this man is extraordinary. I like his podcast, but I'm won't be watching on with this show.

by Anonymousreply 105/04/2013

Saw him on Jimmy Fallon and thought he was offputting. Can't really say specifically other than he just was trying way too hard.

by Anonymousreply 205/04/2013

Maron is more attractive than Louie but this show is so narcissistic and lacks the heart of Louie's show--at least this first episode, anyway.

He can make me laugh from time to time. Was pretty good with Bill Maher last night.

by Anonymousreply 305/04/2013

I agree with R3. I'm a fan of his podcast, but the show really put me off. I doubt I'll be watching further shows.

by Anonymousreply 405/04/2013

That's a shame, but not unexpected. I love listening to Maron's interviews(and I loved his radio work on Air America) but I've never cared for his stand-up or his acting, and when I've seen him do guest spots, on, say, Maher (didn't see last night's show) he has come off as too self-satisfied and cocky, which is strangely at odds with his over-all persona. But boy is he a great interviewer and conversationalist. He did an interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air this week which was terrific. Instead of doing a Maron focused "Louie", they should have just set up unobtrusive video cameras in his garage and shot twice-weekly WTF interviews for IFC, I'd watch that.

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2013

I've just watched the episode online and it's not great but hardly as bad as some of you are describing it.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2013

It's nothing like Louie. Louie is genius and full of heart, pain, hilarity. It's damn near poetic.

I was hopeful, but Maron is mean-spirited, stilted, and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.