Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Scientists on brink of HIV cure

Researchers believe that there will be a breakthrough in finding a cure for HIV “within months”.

extracts from the article:

Danish scientists are expecting results that will show that “finding a mass-distributable and affordable cure to HIV is possible”.

They are conducting clinical trials to test a “novel strategy” in which the HIV virus is stripped from human DNA and destroyed permanently by the immune system.

The scientists are currently conducting human trials on their treatment, in the hope of proving that it is effective. It has already been found to work in laboratory tests.

The technique involves releasing the HIV virus from “reservoirs” it forms in DNA cells, bringing it to the surface of the cells. Once it comes to the surface, the body’s natural immune system can kill the virus through being boosted by a “vaccine”.

In vitro studies — those that use human cells in a laboratory — of the new technique proved so successful that in January, the Danish Research Council awarded the team 12 million Danish kroner (£1.5 million) to pursue their findings in clinical trials with human subjects. These are now under way, and according to Dr Søgaard, the early signs are “promising”.

Dr Søgaard stressed that a cure is not the same as a preventative vaccine, and that raising awareness of unsafe behaviour, including unprotected sex and sharing needles, remains of paramount importance in combating HIV.

The technique is being researched in Britain, but studies have not yet moved on to the clinical trial stage. Five universities — Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College, London, University College, London and King’s College, London — have jointly formed the Collaborative HIV Eradication of Reservoirs UK Biomedical Research Centre group (CHERUB), which is dedicated to finding an HIV cure.

“It will prove that we are heading in the right direction and demonstrate that a cure is possible. But I think it will be five years before we see a cure that can be offered on a large scale.”

The Danish team’s research is among the most advanced and fast moving in the world, as that they have streamlined the process of putting the latest basic science discoveries into clinical testing.

by Anonymousreply 6505/12/2013

Find the cure. Damn, this is great news.

by Anonymousreply 104/27/2013

Fuck, and I just ordered a box of condoms off Amazon...think it's too late to cancel?

by Anonymousreply 204/27/2013

Great news. I get so tired of hearing my older gay friends talk about the 70s and how they'd go out to pick up the paper in the morning and get fucked in the alley on the way to the newstand. Go to get a bank loan and all you needed was a freshly douched hole as collateral. Those of us born in the 80s missed out on all that.

by Anonymousreply 304/27/2013

I wonder what the implications of a cure would be? Would all the remaining safe sexers give it up?

by Anonymousreply 404/27/2013

If this pans out, I'd like to see a bunch of guys go to Topeka and hold a demonstration in front of the Phelps' church. With big banners saying "We got cured!".

by Anonymousreply 504/27/2013

Lots of other social diseases out there. But getting rid of HIV would be a blessing, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 604/27/2013

DNA cells?

by Anonymousreply 704/27/2013

Don't get your hopes up. We're always on the brink of a cure. We're always just 30 years from sustainable fusion. We're always just five years from miracle batteries being on the market.

I can't be the only one noticing this shit.

by Anonymousreply 804/27/2013

I wondered myself, R8, and I'm the OP. That said, the quotes in this article seemed uniquely certain. But like you I'm more inclined to be wait see. That said, every failure is a step closer too so if it doesn't pan out maybe they'll learn something that will.

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2013

For the life of me, I don't understand the mechanism they're proposing.

It sounds like they're talking about removing the viral DNA from where it's inserted itself into the host DNA, and that's way, WAY beyond our current technology, especially since it just randomly choses where to splice itself in.

If they're talking about forcing the viral DNA to express itself so that the body can recognize and kill the infected cells, that makes more sense, but that's not what's implied by the article.

by Anonymousreply 1004/27/2013

VotN, I thought that the latter was exactly what the article implied but I'm not much of a biology and science person.

Two years ago I heard about the Berlin patient when I was approached for a donation. It was in the news again last year.

One way or another, HIV is going to be taken out and it won't be long.

by Anonymousreply 1104/27/2013

[quote]Lots of other social diseases out there. But getting rid of HIV would be a blessing, for sure.

According to the famous book, Dancer from the Dance, penicillin was given out as party favors at Fire Island house parties in the 70s. Guys would have as much sex as they wanted, pop a couple penicillin tabs on their way out the door, and then head out for a night of dancing. All problems solved.

by Anonymousreply 1204/27/2013

"Those of us born in the 80s missed out on all that."

I feel fortunate for that.

"Guys would have as much sex as they wanted, pop a couple penicillin tabs on their way out the door, and then head out for a night of dancing. All problems solved."

Thanks for creating drug resistance, 70's whores.

by Anonymousreply 1304/27/2013

[quote]The technique involves releasing the HIV virus from “reservoirs” it forms in DNA cells, bringing it to the surface of the cells. Once it comes to the surface, the body’s natural immune system can kill the virus through being boosted by a “vaccine”.

God, it sounds so simple. Great news.

by Anonymousreply 1404/27/2013

From what I read, it seems the purpose is to force the latent viral material to where it will be susceptible to antiretrovirals.

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2013

@R15, that is the key.

by Anonymousreply 1604/28/2013

We've heard this all before.

Many times.

by Anonymousreply 1704/28/2013

Yay! Goodbye condoms, hello BB!!

by Anonymousreply 1804/28/2013

[quote]I wonder what the implications of a cure would be? Would all the remaining safe sexers give it up?

No.

If they found a cure for lung cancer, but you could still get heart disease or COPD, would you keep smoking? Only if you're an idiot.

Same thing here. You find a cure for one potentially fatal disease and you take preventive measures to avoid others.

Others, in this case, include MRSA, herpes, cephalosporin-resistant gonorrhea, syphilis and whatever comes after HIV.

Because something else will emerge.

It always does.

by Anonymousreply 1904/28/2013

About time! I missed bareback.

by Anonymousreply 2004/28/2013

Even if there was a cure and/or vaccine, I'd still use condoms. Hep C is incurable and does a massive number on the body. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are also not fun. Plus we don't know what other new diseases are coming down the pike.

by Anonymousreply 2104/28/2013

not crazy about using a public phone...not letting anyone near my sensitive asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2204/28/2013

[quote]According to the famous book, Dancer from the Dance, penicillin was given out as party favors at Fire Island house parties in the 70s. Guys would have as much sex as they wanted, pop a couple penicillin tabs on their way out the door, and then head out for a night of dancing. All problems solved.

Oh yes, penicillin will protect you from all communicable diseases.

by Anonymousreply 2304/28/2013

Judging from this thread, it seems as though the main purpose of finding a cure for HIV is so whores can get BB fucked on their way to pick up the morning newspaper.

I'd rather they work on curing cancer first.

by Anonymousreply 2404/28/2013

I'm kind of shocked by the number of posters who don't understand the difference between a cure and a vaccine. As if contracting HIV and undergoing a protocol that forces the viral DNA into battle with antivirals is some kind of picnic.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2013

Don't kid yourselves.

If there is a cure for AIDS, gay people will simply begin behaving just like heterosexuals do today.

by Anonymousreply 2604/29/2013

Will Glaxo or Pfizer block the drugs release?

You know they want to.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2013

R21 You are wrong about Hep C. There is a combination therapy that will rid the body of the virus. Some types go on the meds for 6 months others for a year it depends what type of Hep C you have. I know someone who was clear after 6 months of therapy.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2013

Doesn't work for everybody, R28.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2013

R29 It can be cured though.

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2013

Gilead's just-released Hep C drugs have a 100% cure rate.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2013

Viruses are natures most adaptable creatures.

There will always be new STDs and yes, there will be another lethal STD like AIDS again.

Next up: A strain of drug resistant Syphilis going lethal within 10 years, is my bet.

by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2013

It bothers me how many gay men still hook up online or just hook up from bars, etc, and have sex without condoms, and tape it. It's pretty terrifying to think people are putting their long-term health at risk like this.

There is never going to be a pregnancy risk attached to gay sex so caution goes out the window. That said, I'm sure there are many responsible gay men and those that care about their health, as is evident on this thread so that's hopeful.

I just wish people would look after themselves more.

by Anonymousreply 3304/30/2013

Just to be clear R3, those of born in the 60's missed out too. The 70's was when all the free sex was happening, I was like 10. By the time the 80s rolled around it was Gay Cancer AKA GRID AKA AIDS just when I was hitting my prime.

So you are really talking old gays, like those born in the 50s. They are like 60 something now.

Or the generation that is in their 50's to 60's all dead except the fridge and late bloomers. Big gay gap there. No older brother types for me, all older gays were basically my dads age.

by Anonymousreply 3404/30/2013

Oh straight people, that gay marriage thing.....Never Mind.

by Anonymousreply 3504/30/2013

And you thought Craigs list was full of Fugly Whores before. Just wait. Grinder is going to explode.

At least the bars will be full again.

by Anonymousreply 3604/30/2013

Cure within months? That seems a little bit optimistic. Lets see, 20 years ago I heard AIDS would be cured within 5 years. I heard that again a few years later, and a few years after that.

Doctors and researchers are always optimistic but what usually happens is that the good results in the lab, fail to work on real people.

Still, I must say it is a more unique approach without being quacky that I have heard in a long time.

At least it doesn't involve shoving a Bitter Mellon up my ass Circa 1990 alternative cure.

So Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 3704/30/2013

They are not done terrorizing black africans and you guys here in this country. No cure will be issued.

by Anonymousreply 3804/30/2013

From the Treatment Action Group, an independent AIDS research and policy think tank:

This research is undoubtedly very important but for the article to suggest that it means that scientists are on the brink of an HIV cure is shockingly erroneous and misleading. The promise of these approaches can only be evaluated when the results of the studies become available. Since the trials combining HDAC inhibitors and immune-based therapies (whether TLR agonists or therapeutic vaccines) have yet to start it is extremely unlikely that the data will be available in "months" as the subhead of the article claims.

by Anonymousreply 3904/30/2013

Yeah...unfortunately these claims are very premature.....it's terrible the way people and media make these claims just for attention...it's not even been properly tested

by Anonymousreply 4004/30/2013

R27, that's my thought as well. Wouldn't Big Pharma do anything to prevent a decrease in their bottom (no pun intended)???

by Anonymousreply 4104/30/2013

Missed out on what? The reckless, amoral indiscriminate promiscuous behavior that led to an epidemic that has killed millions? I think I am blessed not to have been around or of age during a time when so many engaged in dangerous hedonistic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4204/30/2013

The community does not need to return to the reckless promiscuity of the 1970s ever again, else another lethal STD will emerge. Like R42, I am also fortunate to have been born after that terrible era.

by Anonymousreply 4304/30/2013

Baby born with AIDS virus cured.

by Anonymousreply 4404/30/2013

Fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 4504/30/2013

German Man "Cured" of HIV.

by Anonymousreply 4604/30/2013

Heaven forbid you should use a condom. In fact if everyone used a condom AIDS would be gone by now.

by Anonymousreply 4704/30/2013

An antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea—now considered a superbug—has some analysts saying that the bacteria's effects could match those of AIDS.

"This might be a lot worse than AIDS in the short run because the bacteria is more aggressive and will affect more people quickly," said Alan Christianson, a doctor of naturopathic medicine.

"Getting gonorrhea from this strain might put someone into septic shock and death in a matter of days," Christianson said. "This is very dangerous."

"It's an emergency situation," said William Smith, executive director of the National Coalition of STD Directors. "As time moves on, it's getting more and more dangerous."

This gonorrhea strain, HO41, was discovered in Japan two years ago in a 31-year-old female sex worker who had been screened in 2009. The bacteria has since been found in Hawaii, California and Norway.

Because it resists current antibiotic treatment, the strain has been placed in the superbug category with other resistant bacteria, such as MRSA and CRE. These superbugs kill about half the people they attack, and nearly one in 20 hospital patients become infected with one, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Though no deaths from HO41 have been reported, efforts to combat it must continue, Smith argued.

"We have to keep beating the drum on this," he said. "The potential for disaster is great."

According to the CDC, about 20,000,000 people a year contract a sexually transmitted disease (STD) and result in about $16 billion in medical costs. More than 800,000 of STD cases reported are gonorrhea infections, with most occurring in people between the ages of 15 and 24.

(Read More: Superbugs Are a 'Costly War We Can't Win': Doctors)

Gonorrhea is transmitted through unprotected sexual contact. Untreated, the disease can cause a number of health complications in women, including infertility. In men, the disease can be very painful and lead to sterility. It can also trigger other life-threatening illnesses, including heart infections.

Gonorrhea can be hard to detect. It often shows no symptoms in about half of women and in about 5 percent of men. Gonorrhea infection rates were at historic lows until two years ago, according to the CDC.

"That's what's kind of scary about this," Smith said. "We are at lows in terms of infections, but this strain is a very tricky bug and we don't have anything medically to fight it right now."

Since 1998, the Federal Drug Administration has approved only four new antibiotics of any kind, according to the Infectious Disease Society of America. The last approval was in 2010. Only seven antibiotics are in an advanced stage of development—still years away from approval and use.

Recognizing the problem, Congress passed a law last year referred to as the Gain Act (Generating Antibiotics Incentives Now) to help speed antibiotic development.

(Read more: Big Pharma Exit: Who's Fighting the Superbugs?)

But Smith said more needs to be done. In a briefing on Capital Hill last week, he urged Congress to target nearly $54 million in immediate funding to help find an antibiotic for HO41 and to conduct an education and public awareness campaign.

"I'm hopeful we'll get the additional funds, but I can't say for sure," Smith said. "What I do know is we don't have the resources to fight this as it stands now."

Avoiding the disease completely is the best course, experts said.

"People need to practice safe sex, like always," Christianson said. "Anyone beginning a new relationship should get tested along with their partner. The way gonorrhea works, not everyone knows they have it. And with this new strain it's even more important than ever to find out. "

All superbugs must be dealt with before it's too late, he said.

by Anonymousreply 4804/30/2013

Use. Rubbers. You. Fucking. Sluts.

by Anonymousreply 4904/30/2013

Being "on the brink" of a cure could mean anything. It could mean 10 or even 20 years from now, if ever.

At least ten years ago I was on a bus that was waiting a few minutes at the stop before leaving on schedule. The bus driver, perusing through a newspaper, suddenly exclaimed "They found a cure for AIDS!" Seems there was a headline that said "doctors find a drug that eradicates AIDS" or something like that. Anyway, it sure as hell didn't constitute a "cure." So I wouldn't start distaining condoms and enjoying the joys of glory holes just yet.

by Anonymousreply 5004/30/2013

But how can you bareback with a condom?

Seriously, I have a friend who is HIV positive and he sears that bare backing is safe. I tried explaining the mutation argument, but he dose not buy it.

Ironically, he gets pissed off when he meets guys off Grinder or Adam who say they are neg then bumps into them at the HIV clinic.

So they both lie to each other. God knows how many other guys they passed it on to.

by Anonymousreply 5104/30/2013

dose: Freudian slip

by Anonymousreply 5204/30/2013

If a person is out there having anonymous sex, they really should approach all partners as if they were HIV positive. It's just common sense.

by Anonymousreply 5305/01/2013

They will never ever ever cure anything ever again. The money is in treatment, not a cure

by Anonymousreply 5405/01/2013

They could cure it tomorrow, I still won't bareback. Too many other terrible things out there. I have a phenomenal sex life, but I play safe. I am far from a sex-negative, but I AM NOT STUPID. I care about my life and my future. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in treatment for herpes, anitbiotic resistent gonorrhea, or HPV.

Besides, I don't want to be caught off guard when the next plague rolls over the hill. For those who think I am exaggerating, think how many new STDs have appeared in the last 35 years. When I was young we had to worry about syphillis, gonorrhea and crabs. Now there are hundreds of diseases.

by Anonymousreply 5505/01/2013

Do you use condoms for oral sex too, R55?

From the October 2012 article "Sex and the Superbug" in the New Yorker:

“A driving factor behind the rise in gonorrhea infections, as well as the trend toward total antibiotic resistance, is our complacent attitude toward oral sex. Saliva contains enzymes that destroy gonorrhea, so kissing and cunnilingus don’t spread it. But fellatio, which brings the tip of the urethra near the pharynx, carries a high risk of infecting one partner or the other. According to Dr. Peter Rice, a gonorrhea expert at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, fellatio ‘is the only predictable way to transmit gonococcal infection to the pharynx.’”

“The emerging drug-resistant strains of gonorrhea are most common among commercial sex workers and men who have sex with men, perhaps because these groups are more likely to be infected repeatedly."

by Anonymousreply 5605/01/2013

[quote]Heaven forbid you should use a condom. In fact if everyone used a condom AIDS would be gone by now.

How dumb are you?

by Anonymousreply 5705/01/2013

R57, +1.

by Anonymousreply 5805/01/2013

R56 Yes. Some of my friends give me a hard time about it, but they've all had countless diseases (and very few of them are promiscuous). I have never had any diseases. Most of the men I see have the same outlook.

I am married now and my husband and I are very committed and do not use condoms for oral. We do for everything else, though.

I know I will get flamed from those who call anyone who uses their brain a "sex negative" but so be it. While I'm enjoying my Saturday afternoon at the park with friends, they'll be waiting for their number to be called in the hot and sweaty STD clinic.

by Anonymousreply 5905/01/2013

Well since there's no chemotherapy for AIDS for them to make money off of ,we may just see that cure come to pass.I wonder how hard that will stick in the asses of those "God Hates Faggots"protesters.

by Anonymousreply 6005/01/2013

Since they've now found the cure for Hep C, which is actually more deadly than HIV, I have to think that the cure for HIV is closer than we think.

by Anonymousreply 6105/01/2013

I think everyone is confusing Hep B, which is the one spread through fluid contact (and against which there is a vaccine), with Hep C, which is only blood-born.

by Anonymousreply 6205/01/2013

No one is confusing the two.

by Anonymousreply 6305/01/2013

They've since clarified that the results of the study will be within a few months, not the actual cure. language barrier mix-up

by Anonymousreply 6405/04/2013

I think is is despicable that some of you would look for a cure to avoid having to use condoms. In the end, their will always be a STI's and some other infection we are unaware of that can spread and kill people. This is called natural selection. It means, even if there is a cure, Gay men still should be obligated to wear condoms to prevent mass infections again.

Some people never learn.

by Anonymousreply 6505/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.