Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Steve Kornacki a Republican?

Chris Hayes was replaced by Steve Kornacki on MSNBC'S "Up" show. This morning he has 4 guests to discuss politics with him and 3 of the 4 guests are Republicans. Professional Republicans!

Has MSNBC given Chris Hayes' former show to a freaking Republican???!!! I don't want to watch a bunch of Reagan-worshipping Bush-apologist con men on MSNBC!!

by Anonymousreply 5011/06/2014

All the guests were white, too. So much for a diversity of guests on "Up." With Kornacki it will be the White Republican Show.

by Anonymousreply 104/27/2013

I would venture to guess that Steve is quite screwed up.

He was deeply in denial about his gayness and didn't come out until he was 32.

When you're that self-loathing for that long, it leaches out in strange ways, and from experience, I can say the damage is often permanent.

by Anonymousreply 204/27/2013

Op, care to elaborate? What topics did they discuss? Did Kornacki give his guests a free pass? In what way?

by Anonymousreply 304/27/2013

I don't think Steve is a Republican per se, but he's definitely more conservative than Chris Hayes. He's also one of those self-loathing homos who spend 99.9% of their time trying to prove that their homosexuality has little to do with who they are.

As much as Chris Hayes is bombing in primetime (although his show has been great this week), I think Steve has completely ruined "Up." The lack of diversity is especially shameful.

by Anonymousreply 404/27/2013

And even Melissa Harris Perry has a fucking rep from the fascist Heritage Foundation on her show now!! The Heritage Foundation used to be one of the most anti-gay organizations on earth in the 1990s-2000s. I'll never forget finding an article on their web site (circa 2000) that claimed that 17% of gay men ate feces. I think it was some "research" by the discredited nutcase Paul Cameron. And now MSNBC is inviting a rep of those lunatics to speak on one of their shows???!!

by Anonymousreply 504/27/2013

He is gay. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 704/27/2013

Kornacki made it very clear he was on the side of the Republican guests. I recall how one guy said something like "We Republicans will win back the Senate because ObamaCare is about to become such a disaster" and Kornacki just smiled in agreement, saying nothing.

by Anonymousreply 804/27/2013

R6, don't be daft. Gays and lesbians don't have to define themselves solely by their sexuality, but it's always shameful when they're quick to prove how "straight acting" they are.

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2013

On what Planet (aside from Fox News) is it acceptable to have 75% of your guests be Republican political operatives?

by Anonymousreply 1004/27/2013

What a disappointment Kornacki is. Why didn't they give this show to someone good like Toure?

by Anonymousreply 1104/27/2013

I don't think he's necessarily all that conservative, just because he doesn't rabidly challenge Republican guests. He may have been smiling as in "go on, idiot" instead. My problem with him is that his "analysis" rarely tells me much I didn't already know (that most politically aware folks in general); he seems to be able to promote himself well.

by Anonymousreply 1204/27/2013

They were seriously discussing Guantanamo detainees this morning. It was a very progressive discussion from what I saw. One of his guests represents some of the detainees.

by Anonymousreply 1304/27/2013

Oh for fuck's sake, he's not a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1404/27/2013

With a surname like "Kornacki," what do you think his nickname is?

And what does "kornacki" mean in the old country, wherever that might be for the Kornacki clan?

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2013

Toure is a shrieking twat.

I'm going to wildly guess that Kornacki is a Polish name. I believe Steve has relatives in Buffalo, which has a large Polish population.

by Anonymousreply 1604/27/2013

I worked with him for a while at Salon. Not a Republican, not even close to it. He's perfectly capable of having a polite, civil disagreement...that doesn't make him one of them. He's a very nice guy.

Keep moving, toots, nothing to see here!

by Anonymousreply 1704/27/2013

If you know Steve, r17, send Steve a note telling him to logon here and read this thread and weigh-in.

by Anonymousreply 1804/27/2013

OMG. Someone with a different opinion. Burn them at the stake.

For fuck's sake

by Anonymousreply 2004/27/2013

Steve Kornacki is the biggest liberal on the planet. That's like calling Marx Right-wing. Did you ever watch "The Cycle" or follow his articles on Salon?

I find this thread hilarious.

A Republican is definitely doing his hair though.

[italic]I would venture to guess that Steve is quite screwed up.

He was deeply in denial about his gayness and didn't come out until he was 32.[/italic]

Oh, go die in a grease fire, you fucking Mary! retard.

by Anonymousreply 2104/27/2013

R17 here.

I bridged the period before and after his coming out. He was the same kind of sensible liberal on both sides of it; I don't think his sexuality informs his politics much (though I know it's hard for a lot of us to compartmentalize that. And I could be wrong; I quit reading Salon after I left!)

I just always thought he was the right kind of journalist - you couldn't necessarily sniff out his agenda, so he would at least get good, interesting stuff from the other side simply because he wasn't trying to turn a conversation a blood sport.

by Anonymousreply 2204/27/2013

Sounds like Sunday morning talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 2304/27/2013

Why would any responsible journalist give yet more exposure to loads of Republicans? ALL other networks show nothing but Republican points of view! Why would Kornacki act like he works for Fox News? That's sick and irresponsible,

by Anonymousreply 2404/27/2013

[quote] ALL other networks show nothing but Republican points of view!

This isn't true. Not that I want to listen to an entire panel full of Republicans, but not wanting to live in a liberal echo-chamber like the right does should be a thing that separates the left from the right. We do claim to be the more intellectual party.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2013

R25, it is true. Study after study shows that Republican points of view and Republicans in general are dramatically over-represented on TV, in the news, in interviews, etc.

And far more right-wing propaganda passes by unquestioned or contested than left-wing.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

It's so much of that "fake balance"... where there are always two (and exactly two) sides to every issue, all with exactly equal merit (though they usually weight it towards the right, even though reality rarely tilts that direction).

by Anonymousreply 2604/28/2013

R26 can you post a link to these studies or an article about that? I want to read more about this.

by Anonymousreply 2704/28/2013

I don't think he's a Republican per se, but he is more reticent about his moderately liberal political beliefs. This, in effect, makes him a Republican, though - at least for the purposes of Sunday talk shows, where the host can set the agenda and outcome quite forcefully.

If MSNBC execs somehow read this, they should know this: people watched and loved "Up" because it was a progressive oasis. Steve needs to liberalize, and fast - they risk ruining the franchise with this 'even-handed' bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2804/28/2013

I love Steve, I think he's exceptionally talented, I want to support him as an out gay man, but I turned the show off after ten minutes today. Man, it's taken a deadly turn. Just drifty and boring.

Hayes is tanking in primetime too. This is not turning out to be a well-handled swap.

That said, the Up production team is the same. They didn't follow Chris Hayes to his new show. So let's hope it's just a matter of working out the kinks.

by Anonymousreply 2904/28/2013

Do you folks feel that Steve lobbied hard for this (to get off The Cycle)?

by Anonymousreply 3004/28/2013

Fringe right-wing organizations like the American Family Association, NOM, and the Family Research Council are heard on TV news shows ALL the time. NO similar fringe left-wing organizations are ever represented on these shows. You hardly ever even see a moderate Democrat on them.

Even NPR mostly airs Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 3104/28/2013

It's a bummer that Chris Hayes isn't doing well in his new show. I loved "Up" when he did it and I've always liked him as a guest on other MSNBC shows.

The format he's bringing to evening news doesn't work. I'm a wonk/nerd and while Rachel and Lawrence work fine for me, I find myself zoning out during Chris' show.

I hope they hang in there with Hayes and find a format that works. Same goes for Kornacki on the weekends. He's a decent guy and could be a good weekend "Up" host if they handle it correctly.

by Anonymousreply 3204/28/2013

Kornacki needs to have hair and clothing updates to bring him into the 21st century.

Glasses that actually fit his face, and don't look like he picked up the last reading glasses at a Duane Reade, would help too.

by Anonymousreply 3304/28/2013

Duane Reade? Is that a Canadian thing?

by Anonymousreply 3404/28/2013

R34 If only there was a magic machine where you could look things up before you asked really fucking stupid questions!

by Anonymousreply 3504/28/2013

Kornacki's hair makes him look boyish. He obviously hates dressing like a grown up, paradoxically he looks pretty hot in a suit. Ditto Hayes back in the days when he would come on as a (suited) Nation commentator, before his Rocky Racoon eyewear.

by Anonymousreply 3604/28/2013

No, I think it's British, R34. Either way, it's fucking stupid - as fucking stupid as R35's chauvinism - to refer to such a local store as if people cared.

by Anonymousreply 3704/28/2013

Oh, I guess it's some New York thing... Like Wall Street worship, Mary-Kate's trash vibe, and the Son of Sam.

by Anonymousreply 3804/28/2013

R37, kindly lick me where I shit.

by Anonymousreply 3904/28/2013

[quote] don't be daft. Gays and lesbians don't have to define themselves solely by their sexuality...

Yeah! That's what the REST of the world does for us!

by Anonymousreply 4004/28/2013

r31 You are right. Study and after study shows that Republicans and conservatives are over-represented in the media. Most of the democrats/liberals are watered down conservative democrats. One barely hears progressives like Bernie Sanders on the Sunday morning talk show circuit.

by Anonymousreply 4104/29/2013

[quote]I don't think he's a Republican per se, but he is more reticent about his moderately liberal political beliefs.

Wrong. He's far-Left. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 4204/29/2013

r42 Define far left. And explain how that describes Kornacki.

by Anonymousreply 4304/29/2013

Well, r43, every single liberal position he believes in. He is not a moderate. There is no 'middle of the road' with him, and that's refreshing. He hates conservatives, and every idea that they have, with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 4404/29/2013

Kornacki has an amazing demeanor with the lunatics, I admire his ability to remain composed, I would probably implode with hissy fits to the lunatic's lies.

by Anonymousreply 4510/03/2013

Define Republican: A person who gets malicious joy in the misfortunes of others.

not Steve.

by Anonymousreply 4611/06/2014

Steve Kornaki could stand to appear a little less rumpled on-air. I mean, surely he can afford an iron at this point in his career.

Also, my god, Rachel Maddow is seriously in love with the sound of her own voice. On Election Night, she launched into some huge anecdote about how she was interviewing someone and she wanted her crew to capture him on camera before the interview started. Every time one of the other commentators tried to get a word in, she just veered right into another corner of her very long-winded story. And then, when she finally got to the apparent "punchline" of her anecdote, she was laughing uproariously - and no one else was.

by Anonymousreply 4711/06/2014

Steve isn't a Republican, but he doesn't challenge anyone. He doesn't seem to like conflict. That make his show boring, IMO. He has to have conservatives on the show to rile up the audience. S. C. Cupp was great on The Cycle, because she would say such offensive things. I loved to hate her.

Fox's entire business model is based on getting their audience angry and afraid. It works. People come back for more.

by Anonymousreply 4811/06/2014

Steve Kornacki looks like he'd be oppressively boring in bed.

by Anonymousreply 4911/06/2014

Steve looks like someone who harbors intimacy issues. Probably goes along with his very late coming out.

by Anonymousreply 5011/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!