Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp to star in Rob Marshall's "Into the Woods"

This thread will reach 600 in 3, 2, 1...

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2013

Johnny Depp can't sing. Sweeney Todd was excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2013

Can Streep sing? Mamma Mia suggested not.

by Anonymousreply 304/26/2013

Is M shooting for a Razzie to complete her award collection? Rob Marshall? Really?

by Anonymousreply 404/26/2013

#horrified

by Anonymousreply 504/26/2013

Really but let's think about this. If you were a haggard old witch who found a youth potion....would you really change yourself into a 60 something woman who looks like M?

Anne Hathaway would be a much better choice.

by Anonymousreply 604/26/2013

I'd love to play Red Riding Hood!!!

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2013

This is interesting because I really believe Meryl Streep would’ve been a far better Mrs. Lovett opposite Johnny Depp’s Sweeney Todd than Helena Bonham Carter. Meryl does have a very nice singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2013

Lena Dunham IS Milky White!

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2013

I mean, what are they going to DO with it?

"Into the Woods" has one of the most self-indulgent, rambling, disjointed librettos I have ever seen. All those characters! What are they going to do with all that unintelligible fugue singing? Do they expect people to wait two hours for the two big, emotional ballads late in act two?

After having seen all three NTC productions of this show, I have come to a conclusion about its popularity. The cult of "Into the Woods" exists for two reasons. One, it's far more enjoyable than "Merrily We Roll Along", and two, because of its general mish/mosh structure, and "work in progress" nature, it is the ULTIMATE college theater department show. EVER. A role for every queen and ham bone in the department! Almost everyone under 35 who is MAD for this show did it in college, and rapturously tells anyone within earshot that they "had a ballet dancing cow", or "our Jack's mother was played as a crazy black bag lady", or "a deaf couple playing the baker and his wife!" Since the show is so rambling there's really nothing one can do to muck it up any further!

How can any of this translate to the screen?

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2013

This is perfect casting and Depp has quite a good voice.

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2013

I have deep hatred for r11.

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2013

If Depp has a good voice, why didn't he use it in Sweeney Todd?

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

I personally thought Depp's performance in Sweeney Todd was his best performance ever. It really wasn't so much about the singing, which was fine to me, as it was his interpretation of the character. He did not once crack a smile or play it tongue and cheek and considering most of his collaborations with Tim Burton, ESPECIALLY, the more recent Burton/Depp shit, that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2013

But Disney has castrated the book so it looks nothing like the one Lapine originally wrote. They "cleaned" it up.

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2013

Streep is terrible casting for the Witch. What are they going to do when the Witch is supposed to turn beautiful?

by Anonymousreply 1604/27/2013

[quote]Streep is terrible casting for the Witch. What are they going to do when the Witch is supposed to turn beautiful?

"and introducing Mamie Gummer"

by Anonymousreply 1704/27/2013

Why Meryl for everything? And Johnny Depp too? I like both of them, but they're so overexposed at this point that it isn't even funny.

by Anonymousreply 1804/27/2013

R17, thank you. I love you.

by Anonymousreply 1904/27/2013

Who will get top billing?

by Anonymousreply 2004/27/2013

[quote]But Disney has castrated the book so it looks nothing like the one Lapine originally wrote. They "cleaned" it up.

Where have you seen info on the revised book?

by Anonymousreply 2104/27/2013

At least Depp would play the Wolf and one of the princes, not the Baker. Whew!

by Anonymousreply 2204/27/2013

[quote]But Disney has castrated the book so it looks nothing like the one Lapine originally wrote.

The article linked in R22 says that Lapine is writing the screenplay. I expect there will have to be some streamlining done for the film.

by Anonymousreply 2304/27/2013

You just know it'll be loaded with pop culture references. None of these "dark and edgy" fairytale updates have been dark or serious in any real sense.

Lars Von Trier's Into the Woods anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2404/27/2013

"I really believe Meryl Streep would’ve been a far better Mrs. Lovett opposite Johnny Depp’s Sweeney Todd than Helena Bonham Carter."

My cat would have been a better Mrs. Lovett, and she still gets lost on the cat tree.

Seriously, if this is ever made into a film, I predict there will be massive changes to the libretto. R10 is correct about the rambling nature of the story and the overabundance of characters. Not only is it impossible to film as is, Disney and family filmmakers have recently deconstructed most of the same fairy tales.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2013

I'm just doing it for the money and to remain bankable.

by Anonymousreply 2604/28/2013

R21

Haven't seen it, but had a long conversation a few weeks back with one of the principal players. And he's fucking pissed.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2013

It'll be so much better with fart and booger jokes, not to mention that hilarious montage to 'We Are the Champions"!

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2013

R21 any more you can say?

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2013

above was for r27

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2013

Jack has been cast.

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

Depp's singing in Sweeney was shockingly better than Jackman's in Les Mis. In fact, Sweeney was a very good movie, and if they would have cast Mrs. Lovett better, it could have been wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

I enjoyed Sweeney very much except for HBC's singing. Has it ever occurred to the studio to retroactively dub her singing and rerelease the DVD?

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

[quote]Jack has been cast.

Isn't that kid a little young? I thought Jack and Little Red were supposed to be teenagers with raging hormones.

And Depp is fucking 50. He's way too old for this role (and that ridiculous Tonto). And when did Rob Marshall become the go-to guy for musicals? He's a hack, and "Chicago" was the most overrated movie of the 2000s (gee--I wonder if all the musical numbers will be "in everyone's mind"). Tim Burton would do a much more interesting job with this.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

R 34. Tim Burton blew Dark Shadows which should have been a slam dunk. In fact, he is in hiding and can't do the movie anyway. it seems Dan Curtis has risen from the dead (I always new Dan could do that) and he's after Burton's blood.

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.