Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cat owners: Do you shampoo your cat?

No this is not a double entedre. I'm talking about the feline pet here.

A friend of mine says there's no need whatsoever to wash your cat. But if you have a cat that goes outdoors on a regular basis, they can bring in all kinds of crap attached to their fur. The flea collar helps with bug but then there is Pollen, dirt, etc.

Serious question: Is it okay to give it a bath every now and then? And is that something one should condition a kitten for when they're very young- so they're not bothered by the water?

Any tips?

by Anonymousreply 3304/27/2013

Yes. Use baby shampoo. For those that get tangled easily, apply some conditioner.

My cat used to get bi-annual baths, but now that he's older (12), I've stopped giving him one. It aggravates him too much.

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2013

No I don't, however, I do wipe them down with a warm moist cloth now and again. I also brush them every day right about now when it gets warm and they shed.

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2013

I just lick mine clean.

by Anonymousreply 304/26/2013

Only if my long-hair-butted cat has a 'disaster poop' that can't be wiped with an ordinary buttwipe.

by Anonymousreply 404/26/2013

I do. Started when he was a kitten but he never got used to it. He cries non-stop all throughout the bath. He stays mad all day until he's dry.

I use the cat shampoo they sell at petco. I shower him every few months. In between I'm starting to use those pet bathwipes. He hates those too so I have to hold him as I do it.

by Anonymousreply 504/26/2013

I bathe my elderly gentleman on a regular basis. He's arthritic and can't get back to clean his hindquarters like he used to, so he needs assistance. I use cat shampoo as human shampoo can give kitty diarrhea.

My cat has always like to play with water, so he tolerates the tub. If you decide to try it, run the bath before you put your cat in it. The sound can be horrifying to them. Put a bath towel in the bottom of the tub or sink so they don't slip around and get panicky. Make it quick and give him lots of treats afterward. If he's too horrified by the experience, you can buy kitty wipes in any pet store. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 604/26/2013

I bathe my cat twice a year, usually in the beginning of the spring and near the end of fall. She hates it while it's happening, but after she's dried off I can tell she feels refreshed and happy. She has been getting baths since she was a kitten. Now that she is getting older I may cut back or even stop, because she does get very excited and upset in the bath tub. I have always used kitten shampoo without flea or tick chemicals, since she is an indoor cat.

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2013

Your cat is self cleaning. Keep him indoors so he doesn't knock up other cats, kill songbirds, or get hit by a car or tortured by some psycho. He'll be all the better.

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2013

Of course not. You can wipe your outdoor cat with a slightly wet towel.

You Americans are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2013

I have a longhaired boy who's a bit of a pigpen when it comes to grooming, so yup. I use my dog's "all natural" shampoo. He doesn't love it, but he does tolerate it well. I give him a treat afterward.

Don't use a flea collar. Those things are toxic.

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2013

Years ago I used a flea collar and I guess it was much too hard because within 20mins I noticed a change in him. He looked like he was high or drunk; Weak legs and circling eyes. Took that collar off immediately and have never tried another one. My poor little one.

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2013

No, cats shouldn't be bathed unless they are severely matted or unless they are physically unable (due to advanced age or illness) to clean themselves.

Even outdoor cats clean themselves appropriately without human help. Your friend is right.

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2013

I give my cat full `Head & Shoulders` treatment, and in return,she licks me clean.

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

No and you should not do it in general unless given a specific reason by a vet (e.g. surgical wound etc). Cats clean themselves continually and the act of doing so is part of their natural immunity in terms of their coat, their skin and their gastrointestinal tract.

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2013

If I don't wash my pussy at least once per month the odor is simply unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013

God, all of you people in this thread who DO bathe your cats are so fucking dumb.

Why do you even have a cat if you aren't going to bother to educate yourself enough to know that they groom themselves and your interference isn't necessary?

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2013

Don't put a collar of any kind on a cat. It's dangerous and needlessly cruel. Get them a flea injection twice a year, our vet uses Program. It works really well.

Don't bathe your cat unless it's too infirm to clean itself and has a skin problem. A damp cloth wiped over the coat is enough to get rid of most things. Brush the animal as often as they need.

Stop buying into this idea that cats need all this stuff - they've gotten by for thousands of years without it. The vet I use recommends doing the least possible to your pet as chemicals on the skin are easily ingested.

by Anonymousreply 1704/26/2013

I tried bathing my adopted alley cat and he nearly clawed my forearms off. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

I tried bathing my Kitties from a young age but they HATED it, howeled and cried the whole time. I hated hearing it so i was always in tears by the end of it lol!

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

I just use wipes on her every now and then, she's always licking herself, maybe too much actually.

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2013

How do you keep the cat from scratching the shit out of you while you're bathing him?

I've never heard of bathing cats until today, btw, but I haven't had a cat since they were self-cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2013

I've read that cat saliva has a substance (an amino acid maybe? it's been a while since I read about it) that acts as a natural detergent. So bathing an indoor cat seems unnecessary, especially if it stresses the animal. I would never have been able to bathe my cat. She'd become upset and yowl when I entered the shower and could have testy personality when cornered. But she was fascinated by water: flushing toilets, an empty but running shower, a glass of water left out usually piqued her attention.

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

Some tips that might help with bathing on this thread

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

Miss Kissy loves her shampoo. We use a homemade brew with rain water, lobelia, a little soapwort and vetiver. We then set her with pin curlers - so cute. We like her to have a little bounce and body when she's skulking and prancing.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

I don't have a cat now and we never bathed the cats we had when I was a child.

I have a friend who bathes her indoor cat a couple of times a year. She started when he was a kitten and he doesn't have a problem with it. I don't know if the baths serve any real purpose but he's happy and healthy so they don't appear to do any harm.

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2013

Like shampooing your pussy is ever enough.

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

"Cats clean themselves continually"

Yes, but there are places they can't reach-esp. as they grow older (you may also have to clip their nails). The toughest area is along the spine. I was made aware of this because my one cat with very thick short fur would always seek out rough concrete and roll around on her back, scratching and loosening hair.

They need help. An occasional going over with a thin-bristled brush that goes down to the skin. And like someone else said, the occasional working over with a warm wet towel.

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

Even though she was an indoor only cat, my longhair domestic had an awful flea problem due to her access to a large screened porch. I would bathe her with an organic flea shampoo once a month. I put her in the kitchen sink and used the squirter thingy on the lowest pressure possible. They key is to get in and get out as quickly as possible. Few cats enjoy a bath, but mine would tolerate about 3 minutes before freaking. Here's a cherry on top: I always had a clean, fresh fluffy towel straight out of the dryer at the ready. I would swaddle her immediately in the hot towel and "love on her" for a couple of minutes until she stopped trembling and regained her cool. After that she did the shaky shake a few times to get the remaining water off. After she was completely dry, I would use a flea comb to remove the dozens of corpses. When I formerly to her to the groomers for a bath and dip, they had to dope her up in order to do it. So I concluded that if the person your cat "loves" and trusts the most does it with care and lots of baby talk, they accept it much more freely. Good luck!!

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2013

Only if they have fleas. Which has been about 4 times in the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 3004/26/2013

it's really bad for their skin, they clean themselves very efficiently if healthy.

by Anonymousreply 3104/26/2013

Steam cleaning is more effective.

by Anonymousreply 3204/26/2013

[quote] But if you have a cat that goes outdoors on a regular basis, they can bring in all kinds of crap attached to their fur

They have brushes for that in the dollar store. Pet wipes take care of the butt area and long hairs cats should have the hiney area trimmed regularly.

by Anonymousreply 3304/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!