Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mom Demands School Go Peanut-Free For Allergic Child

LIVONIA (MI) (WWJ) - The parents of a 10-year-old boy with a very serious peanut allergy are suing Livonia Public Schools.

Kathy Williams said her son, Nick, could die if exposed to peanuts.

She told WWJ Newsradio 950′s Marie Osborne that the district has failed to protect him.

“We had asked them to go peanut and tree nut-free, and their response to us was, due to the upset in the community and the backlash from other parents, we refuse to change practices,” Williams said.

She said her son is forced to eat his lunch in “an office with cinder block walls” and has been victimized at school. ”He’s been bullied; he’s been picked up; he’s been beaten up … had his medicine stolen,” Williams said.

Williams said she’s been on the receiving end of harsh criticism from other parents.

“‘Why should we have to do this for one child?’ ‘I don’t really care if your child dies; my child’s getting the cupcake.’ ‘Why don’t you keep him at home? He doesn’t deserve to be here,’” Williams said.

Livonia schools said, in a statement, that due to pending litigation they can’t comment but are doing all they can to accommodate the student. Williams said other area school districts have made certain buildings peanut-free if a student has a deadly form of the allergy.

by Anonymousreply 15604/29/2013

Weird. When I was growing up, I never even heard of peanut allergy, but now there's a form so deadly that some children can't even go near a peanut?

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2013

[quote]Even if it's just one kid, surely there are hundreds of others things the other children can eat.

Why should the other children not eat peanuts because he's allergic? That makes no sense. Are you afraid if they have access to peanuts they will force-feed him?

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2013

Seems like some of you guys are the "delicate flowers" given this has been going on forever and still riles you so.

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2013

Illegalize peanuts! Think of my precious, CaiteLynne!

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2013

Christ, I used to make and eat mud pies in our backyard when I was a kid, and ate all types of crap. Forty years later I'm still here and in great health. This seems like just another example of this mommy-entitled culture we now seem to live in.

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

The kid wasn't bullied until Mpmmy complained to the schooland created the problem. Is she happy now?

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2013

I don't care for the color yellow.

EVERYONE STOP WEARING IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013

I agree to some extent but this is a pet peeve only because it comes with a woman. Don't even try to lie.

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2013

Our neighbor has a trampoline with one of those safety nets all around it to keep the kids from getting thrown off. The sight of it always makes me laugh. Somehow, I lived through diving boards, trampolines, four-wheelers, bikes with no helmets, etc and still made it to 40. These poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 1704/26/2013

[quote]I agree to some extent but this is a pet peeve only because it comes with a woman.

No, it's because it comes from a MOM.

Most of us are so fucking fed up with America's self-indulgent helicopter moms and their spoiled, coddled brats.

by Anonymousreply 1804/26/2013

[quote]I agree to some extent but this is a pet peeve only because it comes with a woman. Don't even try to lie.

No, it isn't. It's because it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

I'ma goin' to have my keeids trample on peanuts afore gittin' ta school.

That'll show 'em. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

My little Chadwyn is lactose-intolerant, so I'm starting a petition to ban all dairy products from the school. I need as many signatures as possible. It's a matter of life and death.

By the way, lactose-free substitutes will not be permitted. Many of those products contain gluten, and as many of you may recall from last year's successful petition to exclude gluten from the menu, Chadwyn must remain gluten-free.

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2013

I'm allergic to homework.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2013

Too unreasonable to accommodate. Peanuts are an American food product found in nearly everything, and makes affordable food for children. People with deadly health conditions cannot place the blame on others. This parent made the questionable choice of putting her kid in a regular school, announcing his health information to the entire world, then demanded that they bend over backwards for her.

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

More work for lawyers. Don't you just love litigation?

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

By ten, the kid should be able to identify and avoid the foods that makes him sick all by his big-boy self. If he can't, then he should be home-schooled.

Does she really think she's helping him by treating him like a toddler? It sounds like all she's accomplished is making the other kids hate him.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

R1 is right. PB&J was served every other Thursday in our grade school cafeteria. Peanut butter cookies were popular with everyone.

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2013

I wonder what will happen when kids bring their own lunches containing peanut butter sandwiches or snacks containing tree nuts.

Is she going to reach into other people's kitchens and decide what their children can take to school?

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

Has the mom considered putting her child in a plastic bubble?

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

Home schooling for this child is the perfect solution. Don't allow him in a school where he'll traumatize other students when he dies from sniffing a peanut.

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2013

She needs to teach her son to be proactive. Ten is old enough to know better and to be vigilant of what he puts in his mouth. It is asking a lot of other parents and children to refrain from eating a peanut butter sandwich.

When I was in elementary in the mid '80s, peanut butter sandwich was part of the weekly school menu. I'm not allergic to peanut butter, but I detest it and never ate it.

by Anonymousreply 3004/26/2013

Guess what? Peanut allergies can happen suddenly in adulthood as well! My sister was 35 and suddenly developed a deadly allergy to peanuts but she didn't run around screaming at Nana for making a peanut butter pie every week. It's her job to be proactive just as it's the parent's job in this case. If there was a legit problem with numerous children I could see changing things (maybe) but most of these are not deathly allergies. If it is that serious the kid doesn't need to be in school.

by Anonymousreply 3104/26/2013

I know it's more fun to be a reactionary, "tellin' it like it is" blowhard, but the frequency of peanut allergies actually has accelerated since you guys were kids because, among other reasons, peanut butter became the default kids' food around the same time you were eating mud pies.

by Anonymousreply 3204/26/2013

Another Fraucunt beating her chest because her precious little crotch dropping needs protected from the big bad world. Keep the delicate little turd at home and take care of your own problem, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 3304/26/2013

Like R30, I don't like peanuts or peanut butter. Not an allergy, just a food preference. I like other nut butters, especially almond, cashew and pecan.

If I had a child with a "deadly" allergy, I would protect him by home schooling him rather than trying to change everyone in his environment.

by Anonymousreply 3404/26/2013

Banning peanuts from the school is hardly going to help with the bullying problem. And, yeah, lady, if your kid is so allergic to peanuts he can't be in the same room with one, then a mainstream public school is not the place for him. Home school him or send to a private school for kids with special needs.

by Anonymousreply 3504/26/2013

[quote]but the frequency of peanut allergies actually has accelerated since you guys were kids because, among other reasons, peanut butter became the default kids' food around the same time you were eating mud pies.

What are you saying? That peanut butter is something that's only become popular recently?

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2013

The reason peanut allergies are epidemic is that those kids used to die. Darwinism. Alas, the advent of Epi-Pens means they survive to annoy others.

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2013

Oh, and I forgot to mention - if that picture of the kid is any indication, his food intake has not been affected by avoidance of peanuts. He has man boobs and what looks to be an inner tube around his belly.

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2013

[quote]The reason peanut allergies are epidemic is that those kids used to die.

Yes, cemeteries across the nation are filled with remains of all the millions of peanut epidemic kids. Their tombstones are partially financed by Jif and Skippy.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

Get the kid a goddamn bubble and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 4004/26/2013

Are all these control freak moms who want the entire world to accommodate their little brats white American women? Any time I hear a story like this, it's a white American frau being demanding and a royal pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 4104/26/2013

My sister-in-law insisted my nephew was allergic to peanuts so he had to tell every house on Halloween that he can't have any candy with peanuts. Then one day, when he was old enough to make his own decisions, he wasn't allergic to peanuts any more. Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

No starving Ethiopian mother has ever turned away her child's potion of Plumpy Nut because the kid has allergies. Isn't it strange that peanut allergies only happen to the children of fat white American fraus?

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2013

Peanut allergies are not new. Deadly peanut allergies were around in the 1970s when I was in school. There were a couple in my school. The school did not change its menu. However, it was deemed intelligent not to broadcast this particular allergy since a kid could kill someone by smearing peanut butter on their stuff. Therefore it was something that the child knew and was kept secret from everybody else for their own protection although we were told in school classes that peanuts could be deadly to some people and not to insist anyone have some.

Other food allergies, however, did not exist. Peanuts were the only one. I might add that I think peanut allergies have gotten worse because of bad peanut processing practices.

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2013

R43 Reasonable precautions are totally fair to ask for.

Having the school bow to your every fucking whim is not.

If that kid is THAT allergic, he needs to be homeschooled or places into a private school where that level of care can be done without having five hundred fucking students have to jump through hoops of fire to accomodate the needs of ONE.

by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2013

I would argue that if being in an uncontrolled environment is too dangerous for a child because of an unusual allergy or other health problem, that child should stay out of the environment, not insist that everyone else conform to his needs.

Reasonable accommodations should be made to allow people with disabilities and other health vulnerabilities to attend public schools.

The definition of "reasonable" here is that the accommodation does not impose much on the others in the building. Eliminating a staple ingredient in children's and adults' diet from the building is not a reasonable accommodation.

Let's reverse it. Suppose a blind child who has a service dog is attending school. Would parent whose child is allergic to dogs be able to demand that the service dog be excluded?

by Anonymousreply 4804/26/2013

when I was in primary school, kids would throw peanut shells at the weird girl with peanut allergies. Kids can be insanely mean, so maybe not such a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2013

What I don't get is all of the bitches allergic to "gluten" and requiring "gluten-free" products? HTF do you even survive without "gluten"? I seriously believe some of these "allergies" are made up in the media so that fraus will run with it and buy gluten-free products and voila, a profitable new industry has been born.

FWIW, I've never met anyone other than a white chick who needs "gluten free" crap.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

R46 is a fat white stupid American frau. That felt damn good.

by Anonymousreply 5104/26/2013

Gluten is awful. It really is. It's not like a peanut allergy, though, where you drop dead if you come in contact. It basically changes your body so you are deprived of proper nutrients. Those headaches you get, or digestive issues, or "fibromyalgia" or any hundreds of other issues we don't really think about the source, can all be caused by gluten.

That said, I'm too lazy to deal with that shit, so I'm definitely not gluten free.

by Anonymousreply 5204/26/2013

[quote]HTF do you even survive without "gluten"?

Huh?

Humans survived for a couple of hundred thousand years without it.

by Anonymousreply 5304/26/2013

This cutie-patootie suffers from severe peanut allergies...he talks about it starting at 1:28:

by Anonymousreply 5404/26/2013

R43 I am severely allergic to pineapple. I have never asked anyone to alter anything to accomodate me. If they ask, I will tell them, but I never force the issue.

by Anonymousreply 5504/26/2013

[quote] My sister-in-law insisted my nephew was allergic to peanuts so he had to tell every house on Halloween that he can't have any candy with peanuts. Then one day, when he was old enough to make his own decisions, he wasn't allergic to peanuts any more. Imagine that.

I had the same experience, although with a childhood friend rather than a relative. His mother was a frau nutjob, and her son's "severe allergies" gave her purpose in life. She bullied teachers, other parents, scout leaders, etc., complete with wailings about "He could DIIIIEEE! How can you not care that my child could DIIIEEEE?!"

When he grew up and escaped her clutches, he discovered he had no allergies at all. Not even to bee stings, which was especially sad because fear of "deadly" bee allergies kept him inside for years.

by Anonymousreply 5604/26/2013

r54, he would be very hot except for his speech and stupid haircut.

by Anonymousreply 5704/26/2013

@R17, I agree. The first time I learned how to ride a bike, I didn't know how to brake, so crashed into a bush. No helment, knee pads...just a boy being a boy. The pussification of America continues, except in the hood of course.

by Anonymousreply 5804/26/2013

I think she's lying. WTF puts peanuts in cupcakes?

by Anonymousreply 5904/26/2013

The frauen who claim that these stupid new allergies have always existed are either shockingly ignorant or just plain lying.

I was a kid in the 60's and if there were any peanut allergies, we never heard a thing about them. No kids even avoided peanuts, let alone forced schools to create and enforce nut-free buildings. There were exactly zero children who became ill or died because of nut allergies. They simply did not exist and anyone who says that they did wasn't there.

It's a ridiculous and recent invention, something new to fuss and carry on about. Oh, and the whole gluten allergy thing is another steaming pile of bullshit. It started as a diet - a lose-weight diet, not an allergy diet. Now they're pretending it's a "thing" when it's just another trend for fatties.

The things some people inflict on their children in the name of "health" never ceases to amaze me. We had a women's movement so that the frauen wouldn't be stuck going stir-crazy in the house anymore. These allergy-inventing bitches need to GET A JOB.

by Anonymousreply 6004/26/2013

Yes, the mother is wrong to want the school to be "peanut-free", but the reactions of many posters show their hatred of women and children. By the way, the reason why there are more allergies these days is because of the environment and how pollution has effected food. Some of these vicious posters have probably contributed to the problem.

by Anonymousreply 6104/26/2013

The problem with going gluten free is that most of us have distended stomachs from eating foods like wheat and rice that expand in the stomach, so we can't get that "full" feeling without these foods without eating too much of other stuff. And since very few of us are seriously allergic to gluten, there is no particular reason to give it up as long as you keep the portions down and use it for that purpose, to quiet hunger.

by Anonymousreply 6204/26/2013

Thanks, r60, for proving my point! You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6304/26/2013

[quote]Yes, the mother is wrong to want the school to be "peanut-free", but the reactions of many posters show their hatred of women and children.

That's untrue.

I don't hate women.

by Anonymousreply 6404/26/2013

R61, if you promise that to be true I will go right back out and get another Hummer, albeit a used one this time. We need to start thinning the herd.

by Anonymousreply 6504/26/2013

Another case of a self entitled frau.

I don't remember anyone I went to school with getting sick or dying after coming into contact with a peanut. These silly parents today treat their brats like pieces of fragile crystal, as adults they are going to have problems.

by Anonymousreply 6604/26/2013

Peanuts KILLED this stud:

by Anonymousreply 6704/26/2013

When I was a kid in the 70's, we had one kid in our grade of 350 kids who was allergic to peanuts. He was also allergic to everything else ever and was a little sniffly and weird. He sat and ate his lunch everyday with the rest of the class.1/2 of who were eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and never complained or had a near death experience.

Billy Nichols, I still remember you and your perpetually runny nose.

by Anonymousreply 6804/26/2013

Did the mother of the student in r67's link just imagine that he had a severe peanut allergy?

by Anonymousreply 6904/26/2013

"One day at my school, a girl I knew was so sensitive to peanuts that when she walked by the home ec. room one day, while they were cooking with peanut oil, she died within minutes."

Oh, well, that's life.

by Anonymousreply 7004/26/2013

The R67 stud died when he ate a cookie made with peanuts, not when someone else ate one.

by Anonymousreply 7104/26/2013

R61ated of women? No dear, we hate YOU specifically.

by Anonymousreply 7204/26/2013

When did all of this "peanut allergy" shit start? Within the last 10 years? Because when I was in school, almost nobody had food allergies and the few that did simply avoided those foods. There was no boycott to make everyone stop eating those foods too.

Nowadays it seems EVERYONE'S got some sort of food problem..."I can't eat peanuts!", "My food need to be gluten free!", "I'm lactose intolerant!".

by Anonymousreply 7304/26/2013

Serious question: how deadly can the worst of these allergies be?

What exactly is the fear here, if the school won't ban peanuts? Will he die if he sniffs peanut dust from another kid's cookie?

Or is the fear he will be given a food containing peanuts and die if he eats it and at ten his mother doesn't trust him to not accept the food?

I guess I don't precisely understand why he has to eat lunch separately in another building -- unless a sniff alone will kill him?

by Anonymousreply 7404/26/2013

These peanut fraus are almost worse than the fibro fraus. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 7504/26/2013

How stupid was that lady not to use the epi-pen on her son because it was expired. Whoever told her not to on the 9-1-1 line should have been fired and she should have sued for civil damages.

by Anonymousreply 7604/26/2013

I read a story last year about a mother who claimed her kid was allergic to just about everything. She claimed that she herself had something called "sick building syndrome," in which the air in her office building had made her ill, and she tried to go on disability. It was obvious that this woman was a loon.

by Anonymousreply 7704/26/2013

They used to give out peanuts free on airplanes. Everyone loved them.

by Anonymousreply 7804/26/2013

Peanut M&M's are my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 7904/26/2013

Don't forget about those of us who insist on fragrance-free workplaces! I have a humidifier running constantly at my desk and a "no-scent zone" marked with floor tape around the perimeter of my cubicle.

by Anonymousreply 8004/26/2013

My DOCTOR doesn't allow any perfumes or fragrances to be worn to appointments, so what do you have to say about that, R80?

by Anonymousreply 8104/26/2013

My ob-gyn INSISTS on perfume for appointments!

by Anonymousreply 8204/26/2013

This really isn't a case of helicopter parenting. Peanuts are fatal for many. It is not worth the risk. And I say this as someone who loves peanut-butter. I wonder why so many people are now fatally allergic to this, when decades ago, this wasn't the case.

by Anonymousreply 8304/26/2013

Livonia is a shit hole, though, peanuts aside.

by Anonymousreply 8404/26/2013

[quote] This really isn't a case of helicopter parenting. Peanuts are fatal for many. It is not worth the risk.

Then she needs to home school the little bastard if he's THAT at risk. Why should the rest of the school have to suffer because of one weakling?

by Anonymousreply 8504/26/2013

So you don't run the risk of encountering peanut butter residue in a public place like a supermarket or shopping mall? The reality is that many people eat peanuts. Like other posters have stated, it's up to older children to be proactive and avoid peanuts/others eating peanuts versus creating some false nut-free bubble.

by Anonymousreply 8604/26/2013

^^^^^

FibroFrau

by Anonymousreply 8804/26/2013

KILLER!

by Anonymousreply 8904/26/2013

[quote]One day at my school, a girl I knew was so sensitive to peanuts that when she walked by the home ec. room one day, while they were cooking with peanut oil, she died within minutes

Myth...I'm not saying she didn't die. But not from peanut oil.

by Anonymousreply 9004/26/2013

Wouldn't this kid practically have to stay indoors in his own home to avoid peanuts and peanut fumes? No sporting events, no movie theaters, no hanging out a friend's place, no restaurants, etc. Mommie Dearest needs to teach her chubby little precious how to fend for himself where this peanut crap is concerned or he is going to have life long socialization issues.

by Anonymousreply 9104/26/2013

[quote]Wouldn't this kid practically have to stay indoors in his own home to avoid peanuts and peanut fumes? No sporting events, no movie theaters, no hanging out a friend's place, no restaurants, etc.

Exactly. The child may well have an allergy, but if it's that lethal, why would removing nuts from school solve the whole problem?

You see the same thinking when parents demand airlines provide peanut-free flights. Some airlines instead provide a "buffer zone" and request that people in neighboring rows not eat peanuts. The parents huff and puff, but they always end up flying anyway. If it was truly that dangerous, they wouldn't set foot on the damn plane.

by Anonymousreply 9204/26/2013

[quote]Wow. Why the anger among you all at this one peanut-allergic kid? You're telling us a lot more about yourselves than you are opining about this poor child.

You missed the point. It's not about the child, it's about his mothers crazy "demands" that seem to suggest he could die, if he even hears the word "peanut".

by Anonymousreply 9404/26/2013

It's the monthly nut allergy thread

How many times can you get enraged by this?

Many times. Many many many times!

by Anonymousreply 9504/26/2013

I'm just the opposite. If I don't have daily access to nuts, I could just die.

by Anonymousreply 9604/26/2013

Only 150 Americans die from food allergies in a year. That's all. And that's from ALL food allergies.

by Anonymousreply 9704/26/2013

r87, the anger isn't at the kid, but the self-entitled cunt of a mother. That poor kid is a victim.

r48, the minimum age for getting a guide dog is 16, so you will never find a child in elementary or middle school with one. And a dog allergy won't kill like a peanut allergy.

As you can see from my comment ^^, I'm completely on the school's side. That said, there are a few food allergies that can be instantly fatal. Peanuts are one, shellfish is another. And while yes, they have to be ingested to cause the reaction, peanuts are one allergen that is hard to contain. You know how you can smell peanuts from quite far away? That's because they outgas a chemical, and people with peanut allergies will react to that. They also shed a lot of dust (ever look at the bottom of a bag of peanuts?) and contact with that can trigger a reaction, too. However, unless you actually ingest the peanut, you aren't likely to die. Get sick, maybe. Need to resort to an epi-pen, probably. But you are NOT going to die. Not if you take reasonable precautions.

So the stupid fraus who think that if anything remotely peanut comes within a thousand yards of their fragile little spawn it will die, are just frantic Munchausen-by-proxy loons.

by Anonymousreply 9804/26/2013

[quote]Then she needs to home school the little bastard if he's THAT at risk. Why should the rest of the school have to suffer because of one weakling?

MARY!!!

The people screaming about these kids "suffering" without their peanut butter are certainly more hysterical than this mom.

by Anonymousreply 9904/26/2013

I'm eating nuts as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 10004/26/2013

Send him a case of Reese's cups.

by Anonymousreply 10104/26/2013

According to Wikipedia "The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimates that peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of food-related death.[14] However, there is an increasing body of medical opinion that, while there definitely are food sensitivities, the dramatic rise in frequency of nut allergies and more particularly the measures taken in response to the threat show elements of mass psychogenic illness, hysterical reactions grossly out of proportion to the level of danger:[15] "About 3.3 million Americans are allergic to nuts, and even more—6.9 million—are allergic to seafood. However, all told, serious allergic reactions to foods cause just 2000 hospitalisations a year (out of more than 30 million hospitalisations nationwide). And only 150 people (children and adults) die each year from all food allergies combined." Media sensationalism has also been blamed.[16]

Prevalence among adults and children is similar—around 1%—but at least one study shows it to be on the rise in children in the United States.[17] The number of young children affected doubled between 1997 and 2002.[18] 20% of children with a peanut allergy outgrow it.[19] In the USA, about 10 people per year die from peanut allergies.[20]"

So even the medical community is starting to call bs on the peanut allergy craze. The fact that the number of kids with the allergy DOUBLED in one 5 year period proves it's just a form of hysteria. And a whopping 10 people die every year. Of the millions who are supposedly suffering from this deadly allergy.

by Anonymousreply 10204/26/2013

Pediatricians are partly to blame. Pregnant women are getting the advice not to allow their kids certain foods until a certain age, like 3 or 4. Peanuts and fish are included on this list. When I was a kid my mom tried us on everything as soon as we were eating solid foods. Nothing was forbidden and none of us had food allergies. It's important to expose them at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 10304/26/2013

[quote]Serious question: how deadly can the worst of these allergies be?

Up to anaphylactic shock in extreme cases.

But it has to be via ingestion. The idea that inhaling peanut dust or being in the same room as a peanut, or looking at a picture of Mr. Peanut doesn't pass scientific muster.

by Anonymousreply 10404/26/2013

I looked at a picture of Mr. Peanut.

And then I died.

by Anonymousreply 10504/26/2013

I was a really picky eater growing up and took a PB&J sandwich for lunch every day. Why should I have had to give up my sandwich for this one kid?

by Anonymousreply 10604/26/2013

I liked this comment from the linked article. It's from the parent of a student who attends the same school as peanut allergy boy. Evidently he also has a flower allergy

>>>>> We've all heard every school has one CRaZy parent, this one tops the charts. It's not big deal to bring peanut free snacks, but as you can see, she said cupcakes. THOSE CUPCAKES WERE HOMEMADE. One of the parents was willing to specially prepare them from ingredients rather than a premix that "could contain peanuts". For teacher appreciation, the idea was to bring the teachers flowers to say thank you. This ridiculous mother went around to the classrooms making sure they were removed from each room to ensure that there were no peanuts in the soil. RIDICULOUS! This poor boy is always going to have his mommy trying to fight battles that should have never been created in the first place. KATHY WILLIAMS: You're going to turn your little boy into a turn and he is going to have a severe anaphylactic reaction as soon as you let him move out of your house at age 43

by Anonymousreply 10704/26/2013

Why does society have to put up with these nonsense litigations? Keep the kid home if you are so worried. I also am amazed that many gernerations of kids grew up without having to worry about a damn peanut being within 50 yards. I'm tired of these mothers pissing on everyone all over the place with their demands. Far too much entitlement going on.

by Anonymousreply 10804/26/2013

Do Chinese kids ever have peanut allergies? My Chinese friends feed their kids everything, especially shellfish like crabs, shrimp and lobsters (which are supposedly high on the allergy index). I'll never forget seeing my friend's just-turned-3-year-old daughter demolish a lobster out in Montauk. She sucked that lobster meat out of the claws like a little old lady.

by Anonymousreply 10904/26/2013

[quote]‘I don’t really care if your child dies; my child’s getting the cupcake.’

I doubt anyone actually said this to the rabid anti-peanut mom, but it's pretty funny and a good line.

I wish there were a video clip of some parent standing up and saying this at a school board meeting. Preferably while chomping on a snickers bar.

by Anonymousreply 11004/27/2013

Estrogen and mental illness. Case study.

by Anonymousreply 11104/27/2013

[quote]I wish there were a video clip of some parent standing up and saying this at a school board meeting. Preferably while chomping on a snickers bar.

There was one of these threads years ago where someone made a post that was something like "I hope the mom doesn't use a fabric softener, or little Timmy with DIE DIE DIE."

It's always stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 11204/27/2013

[quote]"I hope the mom doesn't use a fabric softener, or little Timmy with DIE DIE DIE."

dryer sheets

by Anonymousreply 11304/27/2013

[quote]dryer sheets

Floor wax for your clothes.

by Anonymousreply 11404/27/2013

It's astonishing how many of these "life threatening allergies" magically disappear as soon as the kids get away from their mothers.

So why is it always the mothers? I never read about fathers pulling this shit but they must at least tolerate it.

by Anonymousreply 11504/27/2013

This is a form of Munchausen by Proxy syndrome. She gets attention from her kid being a delicate, precious little flower and hovering over him.

Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 11604/27/2013

[quote]This ridiculous mother went around to the classrooms making sure they were removed from each room to ensure that there were no peanuts in the soil.

This is mental illness and this "mission" gives her the only meaning she has in her life.

by Anonymousreply 11704/27/2013

Some crazy lady with peanut allergies is over on that comment thread defending mom. Someone else posted "fibromyalgia too?"

by Anonymousreply 11804/27/2013

Over on what comment thread?

by Anonymousreply 11904/27/2013

[quote] send him a case of Reese's cups.

Reese's cups have real peanut ingredients? I thought they were just wax, salt, sugar and corn starch.

by Anonymousreply 12004/27/2013

[quote]Wow. Why the anger among you all at this one peanut-allergic kid? You're telling us a lot more about yourselves than you are opining about this poor child.

The anger is at the entitlement of the mother, not at the kid.

by Anonymousreply 12104/27/2013

I see both sides. If the allergy is that risky of course you're going to go full monty to keep your kid from swelling up and croaking. The 'demands' verb in the headline provokes negative reaction.

Like others, never heard of this peanut allergy epidemic when I was growing up, but I don't doubt it's real either.

by Anonymousreply 12204/27/2013

Well, then I guess I side with her. If I had a kid, I'd do what needed to be done to get him home alive after school too. We do all actually have to live together as best we can.

by Anonymousreply 12504/27/2013

Recently, a kid died of peanut exposure. Are you Munchhausen munchers saying he died because his mother willed it so?

Believing in that sounds crazier than peanut allergy.

by Anonymousreply 12604/27/2013

I imagine more kids have died by being hit by cars on school property, R126. Should all schools ban cars? Football practice? Field trips?

by Anonymousreply 12704/27/2013

[quote]Recently, a kid died of peanut exposure. Are you Munchhausen munchers saying he died because his mother willed it so?

No one is saying that food allergies aren't real or that in extreme cases, they can't be deadly.

What a lot of us react to when we hear stories like this is the parent asking the entire world to conform itself to his/her child's own special needs. My husband is lactose intolerant (like a lot of the planet, and indeed like the wild human phenotype), but that doesn't mean that a dairy product can't darken our door. It just means that when we go to the supermarket, I get a carton of skim for my cereal and he gets a carton of soy milk for his.

There's also a hysteria that exists, almost like an ouroboros, on the Internet that feeds on the concerns that parents have about their children's health and magnifies it to a ridiculous degree.

by Anonymousreply 12804/27/2013

R127, I didn't say anyone should ban anything. In fact, I am of the opinion that kids whose allergies are this bad should stay home.

R128, comparing lactose intolerance and peanut allergy is a false equivalency. I have a friend who is lactose intolerant, and it just means he spends more time coughing, sneezing, and shitting than most of us do. I've never known anyone with peanut allergy, but from what I've read, it apparently is pretty deadly.

Here's a link to the article I mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 12904/27/2013

Of course peanut allergies are real. People with them should not eat peanuts and should be careful if they aren't sure. The rest of us she be able to carry on enjoying peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 13004/27/2013

[quote]I have a friend who is lactose intolerant, and it just means he spends more time coughing, sneezing, and shitting than most of us do

Actually, if your friend has those kinds of reactions, he's more likely allergic to casein, not intolerant of lactose.

[quote]I've never known anyone with peanut allergy

That's the point a lot of us have been making.

[quote]but from what I've read, it apparently is pretty deadly.

Any allergy can have an extreme reaction. Bee stings. Latex. Medications. But that doesn't mean that life has stop in order to accommodate those people allergic to bee stings, latex, or medication.

The kid is 10. He's old enough to know not to eat peanuts if he's really that bad. They don't need to strip search the other students for peanuts on the off chance that a stray one might fall into his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 13104/27/2013

I wonder if there is an allergist involved in the lawsuit anywhere. I would be interested to know what one would say about the mom's reaction.

by Anonymousreply 13204/27/2013

R93, don't forget about the annual GODDAM CHIRPING BIRDIES!! thread.

by Anonymousreply 13304/27/2013

I'm 54 and, when I was 10, I was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy from a skin test. I went out to a family friend's house with my parents the evening of the diagnosis and shoved a handful of peanuts into my mouth. My dad, who was a physician, just walked over and sat next to me (waiting to see what would happen). Nothing happened. My dad then started to pay attention to people who had a severe peanut allergy diagnosis and several adult patients volunteered to ingest small amounts of peanuts under his care. No one had any reaction.

If a person (kid) has gone into anaphylaxis after eating peanuts, then it's an allergy to take seriously. Short of that, you have to wonder if they really have an allergy.

by Anonymousreply 13404/27/2013

Is she Muslim?

by Anonymousreply 13504/27/2013

They probably should since its so dangerous an allergy.

by Anonymousreply 13604/27/2013

[quote]looking at a picture of Mr. Peanut

All right, this is DL. Who has the pics of Mr. Peanut presenting his hole?

by Anonymousreply 13704/27/2013

Close enough, R137?

by Anonymousreply 13904/27/2013

Looking at the pic of the kid in the OP's link, his allergy to peanuts is not his only problem. Kid is FUGLY as shit! He might grow out of his allergies, but no way is he gonna outgrow that much ugly.

by Anonymousreply 14004/27/2013

Sure, the truth must lay somewhere in the grey area, and yes, this particular person (that parent) might be, ahm, over reacting, but what is so amazing about this discussion (for a non American, that is) is the total lack of any sense of social comradeship. I heard about Thomas Jefferson and I know that being an American is all about the right to carry a gun AND eat a peanut butter and jam sandwich while doing so (a culinary item which, to a rather large portion of civilization, seems like a rather strange idea to say the least, btw), but hey, being human and being a part of a community is all about acceptance, about allowing the less fortunate to be part of society and even about willingly renouncing one’s God given rights in order to enable others to fulfill theirs. The hatred and narrow-mind notion (aren’t those two always linked together) wildly expressed here are really, well, puzzling. Home schooling? Really?

by Anonymousreply 14104/27/2013

R139 just killed off half of the thread and gave the other half a raging hard on.

Thanks, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 14204/27/2013

R63, no one here gives a fuck about your point.

by Anonymousreply 14304/27/2013

[quote]what is so amazing about this discussion (for a non American, that is) is the total lack of any sense of social comradeship.

I think you'll find the initial breach of the social contract was the mother demanding the school institute her own draconian anti-peanut measures.

I think most people are happy to make reasonable accommodations to other people's preferences, but eventually the amount of hysteria over things like this get to be very tiring to the rest of us.

I'm sure some (maybe even a majority) of it is being driving by misogyny, but I also suspect some of it is the fact that we're second-class citizens as is, but we're also looked down as second-class citizens, or at least somehow less successful adults, because many of us don't have or want children. Quite literally, the very last of my close straight college friends who didn't have kids recently announced that he and his wife are expecting. Even a few of my gay college friends have kids. I'm lucky in that most of them didn't turn into pod people after popping a kid out, but I increasingly feel like I have less and less in common with them, and holding onto those relationships is incredibly important to me.

Sorry, I truly didn't start out with the intent of turning this into a blog post. I'm just trying to say that it gets intensely frustrating that there are so damned many stories of helicopter parents demanding schools rule over peanuts with an iron fist that make the paper. Or hell, the great debate over the cilantro sensitive in the MichFest threads.

by Anonymousreply 14404/27/2013

Nature has its way of weeding out its mistakes. I told Junior as much when I handed him the jar with my carriage in it.

by Anonymousreply 14504/27/2013

It's ridiculous for a parent to expect the whole school to make radical changes for one child. If the kid is so allergic he can't even sit in the cafeteria and eat a bag lunch of his own, he really needs to be in a giant bubble.

by Anonymousreply 14604/27/2013

[quote]Honestly, gay men are some of the most vile creatures on the planet, and I say this as a gay man.

What's hilarious about your post is that you still think this is a gay site in any way, shape, or form.

by Anonymousreply 14704/27/2013

Not all kids love peanut butter. When I was a kid I hated it.

I think the real problem with the mother's demand is that she doesn't seem to realize that, even if every single person in the school wanted to agree to it, that is no guarantee that one of them won't forget. I think the mother is the one who's really potentially putting her kid in danger by depending on so many strangers to ALWAYS be thinking of HER kid when they have their own kids to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 14804/27/2013

[quote]the jar with my carriage in it

What does this mean, R145?

[quote]the great debate over the cilantro sensitive in the MichFest threads

There is cilantro "sensitivity" now, in addition to cilantro hating? Foist I hoid, R144.

by Anonymousreply 14904/27/2013

We told you we were hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 15004/27/2013

What we need to do is to arm the child so that he can stand his ground against anyone who tries to bring peanut products into his school.

by Anonymousreply 15104/27/2013

[quote]There is cilantro "sensitivity" now, in addition to cilantro hating? Foist I hoid, [R144].

Yeah, that came up about two years back, I think. Maybe three.

Since the sisterwimmin always seem to be on the cutting edge, I think their latest obsession is nightshade (or, what most normal people would call "tomato") allergies.

I can only imagine how flatulent it must be on the Land, with all those legume-based meals.

Sorry, I seem to have derailed the thread a bit.

by Anonymousreply 15204/27/2013

"what is so amazing about this discussion (for a non American, that is) is the total lack of any sense of social comradeship"

That's because she's crazy.

Seriously, she is trying to create a miniature world where her son can run around with no danger of peanuts. There is a fundamental wrongness to this, because what her son needs most is to learn how to function in a world that contains peanuts. By attempting to change the world, rather than teach the child to cope, she is making it impossible for him to function outside the little part of the world that is controlled by her.

It's a natural human instinct to refuse to cooperate with crazy, controlling, obsessive people, not that the lack of cooperation ever slows them down.

by Anonymousreply 15304/28/2013

[quote]She said her son is forced to eat his lunch in “an office with cinder block walls”

I ate lunch every school day for 12 years in rooms with cinder block walls. Millions of kids across America have done the same. Your kid is not that special.

by Anonymousreply 15404/29/2013

[quote] peanut butter and jam sandwich while doing so (a culinary item which, to a rather large portion of civilization, seems like a rather strange idea to say the least, btw),

I'm betting that the jam was added in order to get kids to eat peanut butter. Today's peanut butter has emulsifiers that give it a texture like cake frosting. It also has more sugar in it than the peanut butter of the past.

Originally, peanut butter was dry and sort of pasty. The addition of the jam made the sandwich less dry and the sweetness made the peanut butter sandwich more appetizing.

When I was a kid I went to catholic grammar school where we brought our lunches and ate at our desks. We bought milk for 15 cents a week. The milk was delivered to the school very early in the morning and stayed outside for hours, where it froze. Many times the milk was not thawed out by lunchtime. We'd use our straws to try to chop the milk up and swirl it around, hoping it would melt. The worst thing was if you had a plain peanut butter sandwich and you didn't have anything to drink with it. The peanut butter would stick to the roof of your mouth and you'd have to try and loosen it with your tongue. Then it would sort of roll up into a doughy, pasty ball in your mouth. It was gross. But peanuts were grown n the USA and had protein, so peanut butter was pushed as a foodstuff for children.

Now peanut butter is creamy and sugary. No need for jam, but people are so used to eating it that way that they make PBJ sandwiches for their kids.

by Anonymousreply 15504/29/2013

[quote]Since when did kids become such delicate flowers? We were eating dirt at his age and surprise, we are still wandering the globe unscathed.

Me too. Also bee stings don't bother me either ... however peanut butter and bee stings can kill some people. This is not nonsense. I can't believe how ignorant some people are on the DL and how unashamed they are to display their ignorance. Who can forget the thread where the OP claimed that multiple sclerosis is some form of malingering.

In Australia you must wear a seatbelt while driving a car/as a passenger in a car; you can't have an alcohol level greater than .05 while driving; you must wear a helmet when on pushbike or the motorised version; you are obliged to comply with other road rules too (such as driving on the left-hand side of the road),; you're not permitted to own a firearm without a license, and only for good reasons, and only certain firearm types; and ... most schools have banned peanut butter.

Nanny state? - maybe, but the ignorant way some DL morons "debate" things is mind numbing.

by Anonymousreply 15604/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.