Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Legendary country star George Jones is dead at 81

Country music icon George Jones — a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and a legend of the Grand Old Opry — died today in Nashville, where he had been hospitalized for more than a week with fever and irregular blood pressure. He was 81.

His recording career spanned more than 50 years, kick-started with his 1959 hit, “White Lightning.” He charted more than 160 singles, a record in pop-music history that still stands. Over the decades, Jones worked with Mercury Records, United Artists, Epic Records, and MCA, as well as producers and songwriters including Billy Sherrill and Bobby Braddock, who were often behind Jones’ series of duets with his then-wife Tammy Wynette — “Golden Ring,” “Near You,” and “We’re Gonna Hold On.”

Jones and Wynette’s tumultuous professional and personal relationship became a defining dynamic in country music, and his personal struggles with drugs and alcohol were also well documented; he later credited second wife Nancy Jones with helping him to reach and maintain his sobriety for the last three decades of his life.

Jones’ final Top 20 country hit came in 1998, with “You Don’t Seem To Miss Me,” featuring Patty Loveless, followed 10 years later by a fêting at the Kennedy Center Honors. Jones announced his farewell tour in 2012, which was to conclude in November of this year with a sold-out show featuring Alan Jackson, Randy Travis, and Garth Brooks, among several others.

by Anonymousreply 4505/02/2013

Sad sad news.

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2013

He stopped loving her today.

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2013

R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 304/26/2013

One of the greats - wow.

by Anonymousreply 404/26/2013

Great artist....but oops, I thought he was already dead.

RIP, in any case.

by Anonymousreply 504/26/2013

Tammy was murdered by her last husband.

by Anonymousreply 604/26/2013

Don't you mean he's D-E-A-D? The kids might hear!

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2013

This is sad. I love old style,ass kickin' country music and there aren't many of those artists left. I hope Loretta Lynn will stick around a while longer.

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2013

George Jones > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“Me and the bottle have always been friends, we've had a few old nasty fights but the bottle would always win, so when I go to answer that final curtain call, I can hear these words being whispered by all... Ol' George stopped drinking today.”

― George Jones

RIP George

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2013

"She Thinks I Still Care"

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2013

Best version: "HE Thinks I Still Care," by Cher

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2013

Nancy was not his second wife - more like his third or fourth.

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2013

In the late 1960s Jones and Wynette bought a mansion in the boonies of Central Florida between two small towns for their down time from touring or appearing on "Hee Haw."

My mother would always say "there's George and Tammy's" when we'd pass by on the way to visit my grandmother.

After George had his license taken away after one too many DUIs, he'd drive his riding lawn mower a mile or so up to the corner store at the highway and buy his beer.

R.I.P. ya redneck.

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

I only saw him once live in concert, back in the 90's, and I was pleasantly shocked by two things: the beauty and emotion of his voice live, without studio tweaking, and the great graciousness with which he credited each band member by name.

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2013

Big, big supporter of country artist Shelby Lynne

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013

What r8 said. Old school country / outlaw / bluegrass are great. Today's "country music" is nothing but jingoistic propaganda marketed to the guns / Jeebus / 'murica fuck yeah! demographic.

RIP George. They don't make 'em like him anymore, and that's a damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2013

George Jones was a hot mess, but he was also a great talent. Rest In Peace, Possum.

by Anonymousreply 1804/26/2013

My partner's mom has been married almost as many times as Liz Taylor. Her third husband, a bootlegger, got in a bar fight with The Possum once.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

Someone posted in a thread about going to a Tammy Wynette concert. Before the show started George staggered drunk onto the the stage yelling for Tammy. This was long after they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

RIP. Big country fan here. Lots of respect, good to see it displayed on the DL for once.

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2013

R20, I saw him play the DuQuoin State Fair in Illinois around 1980. Problem was, he was not scheduled to be there. He staggered onstage during her set and she ceded the stage to him for a few numbers. He was so drunk he forgot many of the lyrics and had to keep backing up to the band so they could feed him the lyrics to his own songs. Tammy's current husband, something or other Richie, was on the piano.

It was a bit awkward. They said he was still carrying a huge torch for her.

I was surprised at that concert by how crystal clear [italic] her [/italic] voice was. In real life it was not nearly as nasal as it sounded on records/radio. She could still hit the money note in Stand by Your Man then, too.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2013

Well look at the bright side, one less woman beater on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

Who's gonna do the biopic? Oh wait..

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

I wonder if he will show up for his funeral?

For the more urbane DL members, George was fondly called "No Show Jones" for his practice of no-showing his concerts. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 2504/27/2013

Ol' George had one of them chin potholes you could drive a Ford F-250 into and get stuck.

by Anonymousreply 2604/27/2013

Died at 81 and Willie Nelson turns 80 this week.

So much for the merits of clean living.

by Anonymousreply 2704/27/2013

He and my grandfather delivered medicine for a pharmacy in Beaumont, TX when they were 12/13 years old.

by Anonymousreply 2804/27/2013

I only met him after he got sober, so I don't have stories about his drunken exploits. I lived in Nashville for a number of years, and I often saw people wearing t-shirts that said "I went to see George Jones on ________ and he didn't show." There was also a version for when he did.

Sober, he was a genuinely sweet and shy man who was wonderful to be around.

by Anonymousreply 2904/27/2013

How old was he when he got sober? Amazing he lived to such an old age after all the abuse he heaped on his body.

by Anonymousreply 3004/27/2013

It seems that every dead famous singer or musician is "legendary."

With Jones, that word is appropriate. He and Merle Haggard are my favorite male country voices.

Contemporay Country sucks.

by Anonymousreply 3104/27/2013

I live near the mansion r13 mentions. One of those small towns is now a small city and has grown out to meet the mansion.

Overall, the property is still the same (including the guitar-shaped pool). A cheesy, local TV-advertised lawyer owns it now.

by Anonymousreply 3204/27/2013

[quote]How old was he when he got sober?

I believe he was in his early sixties. He had been sober about 20 years when he died.

It's always amazed me that people can recover or even survive drinking that much for that long. I've never known a woman who survived it, only men. They are always either married or have families who take care of them and make sure they eat and don't freeze to death somewhere, so I suppose that's part of it. Jones had many people who cared about him, and most of them got sober before he did so they were there for him.

by Anonymousreply 3304/27/2013

Yeah but his alzheimers was probably due to the drinking.

by Anonymousreply 3404/27/2013

Aren't you thinking of Glen Campbell, R34? The HuffPo report said that he cancelled a concert appearance last week when he fell ill. I can't imagine an 81 y.o. with Alzheimer's on the road. (My 85 y.o. mother has it.)

by Anonymousreply 3504/27/2013

Does drinking cause Alzheimers, R34? I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 3604/27/2013

Wow-First R21 I agree with you 100%. Loved George Jones- one of the greatest voices in the world. My favorite song is one I first heard on " Mad Men"-"Cup of Loneliness "- he and Patsy and Hank had a loneliness in their DNA. None of the new ones can touch that talent. Even if they has it modern Nashville would choke it out. He was never some frat boy/ cowboy.

Also strange how major addicts can live so long after they get sober. It's our Purtian vein that thinks they should be punished.

And I also believe that Tammy's husband killed her. I saw her once in concert. She was amazing too.

by Anonymousreply 3704/27/2013

[quote]And I also believe that Tammy's husband killed her. I saw her once in concert. She was amazing too.

Interesting. I don't know much about her and GJ beyond the bare bones basics. Why do you believe he killed her? That would actually be a good topic for a thread...

by Anonymousreply 3804/27/2013

I've been a little weepy ever since I heard about George. What a magnificent voice we lost yesterday.

He started out imitating Hank Williams but found a voice that was really nothing like Williams' pleasant but twangy instrument.

Here's one of the witty duets he recorded with Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 3904/27/2013

Here's a comprehensive on Jones, including YouTubes of a dozen or so of his greatest songs.

by Anonymousreply 4004/27/2013

Here's a YouTube including real footage of a fucked up, coked up, and drunk George Jones getting stopped by cops for a DUI. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 4104/27/2013

George and Dolly

by Anonymousreply 4204/27/2013

Thank you, R42. That's a wonderful video!

by Anonymousreply 4304/28/2013

There was a good thread about turning Tammy's life story into a series a la Mad Men. And yes her husband probably killed her.

by Anonymousreply 4404/28/2013

Anyone watching the memorial service on right now? What in the fuck happened to the bass singer in the Oak Ridge Boys? He looks like the Eugene Levy character in "A Mighty Wind."

by Anonymousreply 4505/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.