Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #110: "MORNING GLOW," the Ziemba Edition

PIPPIN triumphs with everyone except Brantley (and Matthew Murray, but who cares there?) Can Brantley rain on Paulus' parade? Or will this review prove, at last, that Ben is nothin' like a Dame?

Karen Ziemba! Still Broadway's sweetheart, even with titty pix floating around on the internet. Will Encores owe her one for doing a glorified bit part in On Your Toes? Too long in the tooth for Irma LD next season, but she has the poitrines to play Older Belle in Little Me!

Let's discuss COCO! Actually, let's not and say we did.

Bette's back, bitches! Is she now a Tony front-runner? What about Cicely, in spite of Riedel's snub? And what of Holland? And Belgium? And Luxembourg?

Speaking of Cicely - scandal at Trip to Bountiful? Did Hallie Foote steal Timothy Douglas' idea and hand it over to Michael Wilson? And why is the production running a review quote that's from Douglas' production, not the current one?

SHERRY! CHERIE! CARRIE!

Oh, all right ... COCO!

Take it away ...

by Anonymousreply 60005/08/2013

A present just for you!

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2013

the Ziemba photo smacks of Photoshop... Just sayin...

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2013

Season over. And the Tony Awards madness is to begin, so it's bad form for OP to focus his attention on Ms. Ziemba.

OP thinks he's clever, but it's like someone's kid showing everyone how clever he is, but everyone just wants to slap him.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 304/26/2013

Oh, I liked it!!! Good job, OP.

by Anonymousreply 404/26/2013

It's never wrong to focus on Karen Ziemba.

by Anonymousreply 504/26/2013

OP always has magic to do. Thanks for the morning giggle.

Karen Ziemba as a replacement in The Testament of MARY!

by Anonymousreply 604/26/2013

Anything new on Kathleen Chalfant?

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2013

Off to Pippin tonight to see who's right

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2013

Donna Williams managed to be featured in that Playboy shoot by only showing side butt. Well-played, Donna.

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2013

OH EM GEE! IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2013

Oh R1 you make me blush!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget CAROUSEL tonight on PBS!

xox

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2013

...and banjo player!

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2013

Ben Vereen attends the Pippin opening and tries to steal attention dressed like a Harlem pimp. He got magic to do.

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

The KZ photo was 1984. She was 27, and they didn't have Photoshop. They had airbrushing.

She has lousy boobs. They should have featured her amazing legs and ass, but Playboy is all about tits.

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2013

R13...he still looked better than Deb Messing. WTF was she wearing!?!?

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013

It's entirely appropriate that thread #110 be devoted to Ziemba, since she starred in 110 in the Shade at NYC Opera.

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2013

Anyone else hear the rumor that Streisand snuck into Bette's show last night?

The dinosaurs surviving the crunch...

by Anonymousreply 1704/26/2013

[quote] WTF was she wearing!?!?

Post-abortion bloat wrapped in a riddle, then wrapped in plaid.

And bacon.

by Anonymousreply 1804/26/2013

"The Glass Menagerie" is coming to Broadway in September. I just read of that from my Twitter.

R18 I love you.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

Karen, why no cameo on "Smash"?

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

Are they really trying to do more "work" on Flashdance? I saw it in Pittsburgh. It is ridiculous and horribly bad. Sergio is completely not ready to direct.

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2013

"I Love Rock and Roll" seems like such an odd song to tack onto Flashdance.

And if they really wanted to do Pittsburgh it should have been "Ah, Leah!" by Donnie Iris.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2013

In honor of the smash new B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y revival of PIPPIN, a Raul Esparza classic.

Growling Raul in a clip from Broadway @Bryant Park "Simple Joys" from

PIPPIN!

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

We are getting that FLASHDANCE tour this summer and I was really hoping it would close on the road (101 DALMATIONS, anyone?) before it gets here.

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

R13 LOL and I agree. Speaking of Vereen, I wish we could find that b&w picture of shirtless Ben cupping Liza's bare breasts. It might have been by Avedon or Kenn Duncan. It was taken when they were fucking, around the time of her Liza at the Winter Garden show.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

The Tony Committee just royally fucked Kristine Neilsen's chances of the Tony. What the fuck were the producers of that play fucking thinking?????

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2013

How do you mean R26? What have they done?

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

"Phew! Good. They're giving those four little bitches an honorary award. I still have a chance."

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

Yes, and putting Bertie Carvell as a lead doesn't help Billy's chances, either.

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2013

Kristen's very good, but the role is a supporting one, and she's a terrific supporting actress... The Committee is out of its mind, but that's no surprise to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 3004/26/2013

Oops, Kristine.

by Anonymousreply 3104/26/2013

Well, Barry Weissler is back on top after the flops of Scottsboro and Sweet Charity.

by Anonymousreply 3204/26/2013

So who wins supporting actor in a musical and supporting actress in a play now?

by Anonymousreply 3404/26/2013

Regarding Kristine Nielsen....it's not the Tony Admin Committee who is to blame....in the opening night Playbill, she is billed below the title (David HP and Sigourney are above the title), which would automatically place her in the Featured Actress category...moving her to the Lead Actress category can only happen with a petition from the producers of the show, who, one would assume, ran this by Kristine before pursuing it....

by Anonymousreply 3504/26/2013

Is anyone else tired of Charlotte d'Amboise? Isn't it time to retire or do bit parts on shows like GLEE? Isn't she like 60 years old by now?

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2013

And poor Fran thinks she's in Boca...

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2013

R25, I found the Ben/Liza nude in this long interview with Ben from BroadwayWorld last year.

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2013

Wow! Liza looks REALLY stoned in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

But R35 of course it's the Committee's fault. The producers obviously petitioned them, and the Committee coulda shoulda said NO. That's how dumb they are.

by Anonymousreply 4004/26/2013

Ask Sarah Paulson

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

Fuck the Tony committee. As usual, their collective heads are up their collective asses.

by Anonymousreply 4304/26/2013

So now the likely nominees for Best Actress will be Holland, Bette, Cicely, Kristine and Jessica?

Leaving behind Laurie, Amy, Sigourney (if she ever was in the race) and Fiona. Have I got that right?

The winner really is anybody's guess. And I don't care who wins the OCC or the Drama Desk....it's still anybody's guess on the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2013

Any chance Kristine will win in Lead? I was really excited to see her win.

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2013

Karen Ziemba's tits look perfectly normal in that Playboy shot, and I guess that's the problem. People are so used to seeing breasts that have been surgically morphed into unnatural shapes that real ones look deformed to them.

by Anonymousreply 4604/26/2013

r46 must be Karen.....

by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2013

Sad news about Kristine Nielsen being put in the "Lead" category - I was looking forward to her winning.

by Anonymousreply 4804/26/2013

[quote]People are so used to seeing breasts that have been surgically morphed into unnatural shapes that real ones look deformed to them.

Remember when I got really big ones to replace Anita Morris in Nine?

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2013

THat PBS Carousel is not helping anyone's career.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

Is there a link to Karen Ziemba and her tiny tiny titties?

by Anonymousreply 5104/26/2013

Uh ... It's right there in r1, r51.

by Anonymousreply 5204/26/2013

I just nutted.

by Anonymousreply 5304/27/2013

Wanda Richert may b serving The Lord, but she's also an insane conspiracy theorist who hates Obama (he's a Kenyan!) and has become the Unlovable Loon of South Florida.

by Anonymousreply 5404/27/2013

R50 Couldn't someone have told Kate Burton that Mainers don't have Brooklyn accents?

by Anonymousreply 5504/27/2013

please kill yourself r56....we have no use for you here

by Anonymousreply 5704/27/2013

No one's forcing you to be here, r56.

by Anonymousreply 5804/27/2013

It's an interesting choice, having Mr. Snow be hotter and sing better than Billy Bigelow.

Nathan Gunn's 40s are not being kind to him.

by Anonymousreply 5904/27/2013

Love you, R59!

by Anonymousreply 6004/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 6104/27/2013

Jessie Mueller IS Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6204/27/2013

Jessie Mueller and Kelli O'Hara are not terribly photogenic. And their plastic wigs aren't helping.

But I was glad to see Stephanie Blythe is down to 250 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 6304/27/2013

[quote]Theatre Development Fund Offers Autism-Friendly Performance of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark April 27

Yikes! As if sitting through that shit-show wouldn't be bad enough with a NORMAL audience!

by Anonymousreply 6404/27/2013

Old video of Raul Esparza showing off his bare feet in all angles.

by Anonymousreply 6504/27/2013

Oh, Papi....that makes my cooze all tingly!

by Anonymousreply 6604/27/2013

I liked Jessie Mueller a lot in Carousel. How come Julie Jordan doesn't get the kind of big, show-piece number that Carrie Pipperidge has in "Mister Snow"?

by Anonymousreply 6704/27/2013

[quote]Wanda Richert may b serving The Lord, but she's also an insane conspiracy theorist who hates Obama (he's a Kenyan!) and has become the Unlovable Loon of South Florida.

Sounds like my kinda gal. God bless!

by Anonymousreply 6804/27/2013

Poor Jennifer Holliday has MS...my sister also has it. It is a tough disease.

by Anonymousreply 6904/27/2013

r50 and your career in the theater is going swimmingly? Oh, you have none - ergo the venomous jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 7004/27/2013

Thread request: Thank you! Jane Krakowksi has been working steadily in tv and theater since the 90s, I cannot find a speck of gossip on her. Has anyone met her or know anything? I bet she has a lot of stories to tell!

by Anonymousreply 7104/27/2013

[quote] Jane Krakowksi has been working steadily in tv and theater since the 90s

She has been working since the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 7204/27/2013

Thanks r72, I knew she is a National Lampoon movie in the 80s but wasn't sure if that was it.

by Anonymousreply 7304/27/2013

Wow - check out Wanda R's FB page if you want a major dose of crazy (it's open to the public). She's hungry, her foodstamps have run out, her daughter's on drugs, her daughter has texted many friends asking for help because her mom in an alkie and mentally ill, Obama is a Muslim, Bill Maher is vile, her daughter's boyfriend has stolen Wanda's mom's car, she's defriended her ex-husband because he won't answer her calls, donate to her ministry, she never got paid for Broadway's lost treasures, she never got paid for the 42nd Street LP she sold on eBay...

by Anonymousreply 7404/28/2013

Carolee Carmelo and Montego Glover were on "Smash" tonight (along with Broadway legend Kathie Lee Gifford.)

by Anonymousreply 7504/28/2013

Also on Smash there was a mention of Ivy having been flown out to LA to appear on Leno. What's the likelihood of that happening only a few weeks after Bombshell opened? Didn't it take the likes of Spring Awakening and Spiderman at least a year? Ivy's not a star so it would seem to make even less sense. And the idea of Marisa Tomei starring in a musical version of Moonstruck was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 7604/28/2013

Bombshell is supposedly a show by long-time, successful writers, with a famous producer, and a star who got great reviews. It wouldn't be so unusual.

In other news, I can't believe the sheer stupidity of Josh Safran, who makes Rebeck look savvy by comparison. Killing off the wrong person and making us suffer the rest of the episodes with ugly troll Jeremy Jordan. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 7704/28/2013

The idea of a musical of Moonstruck isn't terrible though.

"Old man, if you give those dogs any more of my food I'm gonna kick you til you're dead" is an excellent lead in to a group number.

by Anonymousreply 7804/28/2013

[quote]And the idea of Marisa Tomei starring in a musical version of Moonstruck was laughable.

why?

by Anonymousreply 7904/28/2013

Um there is a musical of Moonstruck and Idina Menzel did a workshop of it about 8 years ago. The idea of it happening with Marisa Tomei isn't a stretch at all. People bash Smash even when it doesn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 8004/28/2013

Has Wanda atoned for fucking Gower Champion to get the lead?

by Anonymousreply 8104/28/2013

Is Wanda still drinking? One day it's vodka, the next day it's Jesus, then vodka and so on.

by Anonymousreply 8204/28/2013

Andrea Martin was fantastic. The guy playing Pippin was bland and boring.

Didn't love it.

by Anonymousreply 8304/28/2013

I think a musical of Moonstruck is a bad idea in that music - That's Amore, It Must Be Him and La Boemhe - is already inherent to the telling of the story. Music is already present, it doesn't need to be musicalised. The characters souls are awakened by music which is what we need to see them experience. We don't need to hear them sing about it.

by Anonymousreply 8404/28/2013

Hey, R80/moron, Marisa Tomei can't sing a note, that was my point.

by Anonymousreply 8504/28/2013

Isn't Marisa a classically trained singer?

by Anonymousreply 8604/28/2013

Those SMASH references to things like Moonstruck with Tomei are meant to be jokes. Like the glamorous Hotel Carter hosting the Bombshell opening night party.

I am unable to find Wanda Richert's Facebook page. Could somebody provide a link. The only thing I can find is an "individual business" profile that she doesn't seem to have anything to do with.

by Anonymousreply 8704/28/2013

So who is winning Best Featured Actress in a Play this year? The two Judith's (Light and Ivey) seem to be the frontrunners.

I like them both.

by Anonymousreply 8804/28/2013

I'm listening and recording on my phone (thanks to the Tune In app) the Olivier Awards being broadcast now on BBC Radio 2. I really hope Rupert Everetf wins because his speech should be entertaining. And, of course, Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 8904/28/2013

Sheridan Smith said "fuck" and someone said "shit" already and the BBC announcer had to apologize for them both.

Helen Mirren just won. Yay. But Rupert Everett lost.

Petula Clark sang "With One Look" quite oddly.

by Anonymousreply 9004/28/2013

Speaking of Wanda Richert-- what's the real story behind her getting fired as a Cassie replacement in A CHORUS LINE?

by Anonymousreply 9104/28/2013

[quote] Rupert Everett lost.

He and his tiny penis lost a looooong time ago.

by Anonymousreply 9204/28/2013

What was the Hamlisch song Idina sang at the Oliviers? I didn't know it.

by Anonymousreply 9304/28/2013

Heather Headley did such a gorgeous rendition of "I Will Always Love You" from The Bodyguard that the Olivier Awards crowd gave her a standing ovation which is very rare. And it left the co-host, Sheridan Smith, in tears.

by Anonymousreply 9404/28/2013

[quote] Heather Headley did such a gorgeous rendition of "I Will Always Love You" from The Bodyguard that the Olivier Awards crowd gave her a standing ovation which is very rare. And it left the co-host, Sheridan Smith, in tears.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 9604/28/2013

Heather Headley is the REAL DEAL!

Very underappreciated.

by Anonymousreply 9704/28/2013

Idina just sang "Don't Rain On My Parade" and at the end sang "Hey, London...here I am!" Besides not scanning it was a cheesy choice, wouldn't you say? And she didn't sound as great as Ms. Michele did at the Tony Awards, and I hate that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9804/28/2013

This is Heather a few months back.

I am weeping. Flawless and full of feeling in a number that could have just been Whitney drag.

by Anonymousreply 9904/28/2013

Oh God, Michael Ball's singing "Love Changes Everything." I really hope he didn't take his shirt off, those man boobs made me nauseous.

by Anonymousreply 10004/28/2013

I fucking hate Love Changes Everything.

by Anonymousreply 10104/28/2013

I love Heather Headley. I have her first album, and also the duet she did with Brian Stokes Mitchell on "Make Someone Happy."

by Anonymousreply 10204/28/2013

If Wildcat and The Unsinkable Molly Brown crash into each other at 30mph, will we have a good show?

by Anonymousreply 10304/28/2013

An American R&B artist, singing a Whitney Houston-inspired cover of a Dolly Parton song at the Oliviers. Larry would be so proud.

by Anonymousreply 10404/28/2013

I wish I could see the Olivier awards here in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 10504/28/2013

I thought Heather was from Jamaica or some Carribbean island

by Anonymousreply 10604/28/2013

Sheridan Smith sang a bizarre version of "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" which opened the show. They should have brought over Megan Hilty.

Matthew Morrison did a good job with a West Side Story medley.

by Anonymousreply 10704/28/2013

[quote]I love Heather Headley. I have her first album, and also the duet she did with Brian Stokes Mitchell on "Make Someone Happy."

Speaking on "Make Someone Happy", why is the show it comes from "Do Re Mi" rarely done? I saw Heather Headley and BSM do it at Encores years ago, and it was wonderful. Great book and fantastic score.

by Anonymousreply 10804/28/2013

Heather Headley was AWFUL in Do Re Mi.

Girl can't act AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 10904/28/2013

[quote] Marisa Tomei can't sing a note, that was my point.

have you heard her? she did the workshop of Sweet Charity i think and has said she wants to do a musical

by Anonymousreply 11004/28/2013

Uhhh, yeah, she did the workshop but did she do the show? Maybe there's a reason for that, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 11104/28/2013

She quit the wokshop as did Jane Krakowski because they weren't happy with the way Neil Simon treated them......dumbass....why are so damn hostile btw?

by Anonymousreply 11204/28/2013

looks like she took it down r87. It was there yesterday and all the other poster said was true....she is quite the mess.

by Anonymousreply 11304/29/2013

Watched the Olivier highlights on ITV last night. British award shows are always so cringey.

The inexplicable rise and rise of the tedious Sheridan Smith continues unabated. I'm not sure why everyone suddenly decided she was so talented. I saw her in Legally Blonde and thought she was thoroughly underwhelming. The Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend opening was embarrassing. She looks like a short, squat man. Good face for radio though.

Speaking of faces, Rupert Everett now looks like a Picasso. A forged one, to be exact. What a fuckin' mess her face is.

Heather Headley has really big hands. I mean, unsightly big. She sounded like someone who sings I Will Always Love You eight times a week. Nothing against her. Just makes you realise what a talent Whitney was - even when she was down and out and phoning it in and saying her prayers out loud before the big note, she still gave a better performance than that.

Performances from Cats and A Chorus Line, what a fuckin' tired show. And the British really have zero dance talent. They always look so bottom heavy and unfit; every time a number ends their bellies heave with exhaustion.

And the way they fawn over the American talent, it's just embarrassing. "Matthew Morrison's FIRST UK performance! FIRST appearance on UK radio and television! For his FIRST album of showtunes!!" Called "Where It All Began!" What a fuckin' tool bag he is. And Idina Menzel - "renowned interpreter of Marvin Hamlisch!" How fuckin' hard can it be to interpret Marvin Hamlisch? She should've sung The Way We Were or Nobody Does It Better. Nobody wants to hear Marvin Hamlisch obscurities, of which I'm sure there are all too many.

And Dame Helen Mirren wins another award for playing The Queen. How predictable. And clearly now has trouble separating herself from The Queen. What a luvvy.

Best New Musical - Top Hat. That's not a new musical. But the competition was something called Loserville which barely ran eight weeks in the West End and would probably make Scandalous look very, very accomplished.

Bring on Imelda in Gypsy!

by Anonymousreply 11404/29/2013

Great reporting r114. THanks!

by Anonymousreply 11504/29/2013

Drama Desk Award Noms are this morning at 11AM.

They are always interesting because they include Off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 11604/29/2013

Ignore R3, OP. I thought it was hilarious, and it looks like others did, too.

by Anonymousreply 11704/29/2013

Drama Desk decides to eschew the whole "What Category Should Kristine Nielsen Be Nominated In" by not nominating her at all.

by Anonymousreply 11804/29/2013

Drama over at Drama Desk Awards

by Anonymousreply 11904/29/2013

Why? What's happening, r119?

by Anonymousreply 12004/29/2013

Did the choreographer of Cabaret in London come from the Gilliane Lynne school of choreography? WTF was that on the Oliviers?????? And they had to subject the audience to that shit from CATS? I had forgotten how incredibly lame and vomit inducing that choreography was. Bottom of the barrel. Makes Rob Ashford's dreck look like Ballanchine.

by Anonymousreply 12104/29/2013

No gossip on Jane Krakowski? Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 12204/29/2013

Drama desk noms:

by Anonymousreply 12304/29/2013

I'll probably be crucified foe this...but I don;t think the Drama Desk Noms ere that bad.

by Anonymousreply 12404/29/2013

I'm especially impressed with who they DIDN'T nominate. Namely, Jerry Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 12504/29/2013

The most tea Jane Krakowski has spilled is probably in this long BroadwayWorld interview from last year. Some interesting stories, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 12604/29/2013

Along with "Miss Witherspoon" (also by Durang), "Vanya and Sonya" etc. is the best performance Kristine has ever given. The telephone scene alone is award worthy.

by Anonymousreply 12704/29/2013

The TONYs would be smart to break out "Solo Performance" into its own category to get some more nominations and spread the love.

by Anonymousreply 12804/29/2013

Another humiliation for Kathy Lee....Glee had it's lowest ratings this past Saturday night. Kathy was guest star! LOL. Warning to NBC- don't throw this cunt any more bones or else she will ruin it for you.

by Anonymousreply 12904/29/2013

Isn't the KZ Troll ever going to comment on this thread's discussion, and evaluation, of her tits?

by Anonymousreply 13004/29/2013

Hoda honey, time to sober up. Glee didn't air on Saturday on NBC. SMASH, otoh...

by Anonymousreply 13104/29/2013

The nominations were actually very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13204/29/2013

She did R130, first page of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 13304/29/2013

The nominations were actually very inane. But look at the nomination committee.

by Anonymousreply 13404/29/2013

A friend saw Jekyll & Hyde last night and said their were less than 200 people in The Marquis.

by Anonymousreply 13504/29/2013

Other than the incomprehensible love for "Hands on a Hardbody", I thought the Drama Desk nominations were interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13604/29/2013

She blushed when somebody linked to the picture, r133, but she hasn't been back to comment on the subsequent detailed debate about her titties' size, shape, and quality.

by Anonymousreply 13704/29/2013

I can't believe the Drama Desks dissed Kinky Boots the way they did. That crowd has been on its knees for Harvey Fierstein for years. Wonder what he did to piss them off?

by Anonymousreply 13804/29/2013

[quote]Heather Headley was AWFUL in Do Re Mi.

There's no accounting for taste. Everyone cheering for her the day I saw it was fooled, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 13904/29/2013

Thanks r126!

by Anonymousreply 14004/29/2013

What no one is talking about publicly with Heather is that she is only showing up for four shows a week in London. There's no way she can get away with that at The Marquis next Spring.

by Anonymousreply 14104/29/2013

What theater is the Carole King musical going to? Are they still going to San Francisco this Fall?

by Anonymousreply 14204/29/2013

Meant Smash of course. Maybe Kathy Lee will embarrass herself on Glee one day. She looked really hideous in that blond Marilyn wig.

by Anonymousreply 14304/29/2013

Current Rumor I hope!!!

Ann Miner the head of ATC Broadway chat, will be Julie James guest on the Sirius radio Broadway network this Sunday at 1 PM est.

by Anonymousreply 14404/29/2013

Sheridan Smith looked like an old frump on the Oliviers. Women in their 30's should never wear their hair in that style. She has as much sex appeal as Michael Ball.

by Anonymousreply 14504/29/2013

But Heather Headley made her bawl, Michael Ball! And you should talk-John Simon couldn't have been more right when he called you "The Pillsbury Doughboy."

by Anonymousreply 14604/29/2013

I want to see Michelle Dockery as Sally Bowles!

by Anonymousreply 14704/29/2013

Yippee

by Anonymousreply 14804/29/2013

so now, Roundabout is producing a revival-- of a revival-- of a production they didnt produce in the first place,,,discuss

by Anonymousreply 14904/29/2013

LOLOLOL R147, re your signature

by Anonymousreply 15004/29/2013

Major omissions at the Drama Desk noms:

Harvey Fierstein, Cyndi Lauper, Jerry Mitchell, Gregg Barnes and Kinky Boots

Bette Midler

Holland Taylor

Fiona Shaw

Jessica Hecht

Patina Miller

2/3 of the cast of Orphans

Rob McClure as Chaplin

Kristine Neisen and David Hyde Pierce

Bobby Cannavale

John Lee Beatty (The Nance, Orphans, The Big Knife)

Who else? Any other surprises?

by Anonymousreply 15104/29/2013

The only omission that irks me is Neilsen. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 15204/29/2013

Midler and Taylor were nominated in solo performance.

by Anonymousreply 15304/29/2013

Drama Desks mean nothing.

by Anonymousreply 15404/29/2013

Does anyone besides Wayman Wong give a shit about Drama Desk awards?

by Anonymousreply 15504/29/2013

And just think tomorrow morning at 8:30 the Tony noms will be announced and the ATC harpies will go ballistic when their favorites don't make the cut. At least Sutton will look right at home, since she always looks like she just got out of bed, and this time she actually will have!

by Anonymousreply 15604/29/2013

I recognize one name on the list and that's because she's a horrible person:

The 2012-13 Drama Desk Nominating Committee comprises Barbara Siegel, Chairperson (TalkinBroadway.com and freelance); David Kaufman (author and freelance), Samuel L. Leiter (Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Theatre, Brooklyn College and the Graduate Center), Martha Wade Steketee (urbanexcavations.com; editor and contributor, Chance Magazine), Adrian Wattenmaker (Theater Faculty, Brooklyn College; Director, School of Creative and Performing Arts) and James Wilson (Professor of Theatre, CUNY; co-editor of Journal of American Drama and Theatre).

by Anonymousreply 15704/29/2013

"Does anyone besides Wayman Wong give a shit about Drama Desk awards?"

Exactly. Like Jason Robards tells Jane Fonda in JULIA, "It's just a fur coat, Lily, it has nothing to do with writing."

by Anonymousreply 15804/29/2013

explain r158...is Fonda/Hellman getting caught up in fame? I don't remember that scene.

by Anonymousreply 15904/29/2013

Rocky DAS musical already holding auditions for Broadway!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16004/29/2013

I can't believe ROCKY is for real. It looks and sounds like an old SCTV skit. I hope the boys in Hamburg are paying Timbers, et al a boatload of cash.

by Anonymousreply 16104/29/2013

and Mama Mia has to move for this?

by Anonymousreply 16204/29/2013

Rocky Das Musical does have a certain undeniable ring to it.

Rocky, the Musical, much less so.

by Anonymousreply 16304/29/2013

Nick Adams IS Rocky.

by Anonymousreply 16404/29/2013

Those Germans sure know a first rate musical when they see it!

by Anonymousreply 16504/29/2013

Dance of the Vampires!

by Anonymousreply 16604/29/2013

r159, Lillian Hellman (as portrayed in JULIA) writes, after several false starts, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR, which is big, fat Broadway hit. A scene that follows shows Fonda/Hellman and Robards/Hammett at leisure in a montage of camping/fishing episodes, with the former reveling in her fame and spinning fantasies about how she'll spend her royalties. She mentions that she'd like to have a sable fur coat---and Robards responds with the wisdom I quoted above.

by Anonymousreply 16704/30/2013

Luke Treadaway, who won the Oliver for Best Actor (over Rupert Everett, Mark Rylance, James McAvoy and Rafe Spall) is a cutie. He played gay in a British miniseries, Clapham Junction, and had a pretty graphic sex scene in it.

Alas, the actor is straight in real life.

by Anonymousreply 16804/30/2013

I wonder if Patti LuPone will start trashing Debra Winger and Mamet since no Drama Desk or Tony noms have come her way.

by Anonymousreply 16904/30/2013

Speaking of "Morning Glow" (as per the thread title), I heard that song from the OBC album on SiriusXM the other day and now I can't get it out of my head. I remember getting the album (on vinyl from Motown Records!) when I was in college and playing it over and over. It's a really manipulative song, but it gets me every damn time!

by Anonymousreply 17004/30/2013

Too bad Schwartz never wrote a better Act One finale - oh, yeah, PIPPIN was originally done in-one. Not that that's how Schwartz wanted it.

Oh, but he did top it, so to speak (ha ha)... yes, he definitely did.

by Anonymousreply 17104/30/2013

Stephen Schwartz never topped anything, Idina.

by Anonymousreply 17204/30/2013

Erm, make that "renowned interpreter of Marvin Hamlisch," R171.

by Anonymousreply 17304/30/2013

Arlene Philips, another awful British choreographer, ruins Matthew Morrison's West Side Story medley on the Oliviers with more WTF interpretive dancing using a chorus of slutty looking chorus girls- seen on youtube. And what's with that Frank Sinatra hat he is wearing? Tony wasn't that cool.

by Anonymousreply 17404/30/2013

Ha, hating "Rocky" already, typical Theater Queens. Start with hating the concept, then casting and go all the way thru into opening night. Do any of you actually like anything? Bitch, bitch, bitch. 90% of the theater thread here and the Broadway threads are nothing but hate.

by Anonymousreply 17504/30/2013

Listening to Roma Torre and Pat Kiernan on NY1 dissecting the past Broadway season in anticipation of the Tony noms is enough to make a 30 year Broadway veteran want to leave the business.

by Anonymousreply 17604/30/2013

I'm surprised Rocky Das Musical isn't detouring to London before B'way. It's just the sort of tacky thing that would run for a while in the West End.

We've already had Flashdance The Musical!

by Anonymousreply 17704/30/2013

[quote] Broadway threads are nothing but hate.

Lies.

by Anonymousreply 17804/30/2013

[quote]Ha, hating "Rocky" already, typical Theater Queens. Start with hating the concept, then casting and go all the way thru into opening night. Do any of you actually like anything? Bitch, bitch, bitch. 90% of the theater thread here and the Broadway threads are nothing but hate.

Thanks for your input, RonniK.

by Anonymousreply 17904/30/2013

No nomination for Bette.

by Anonymousreply 18004/30/2013

Not a lot of love for solo shows this year: No Bette, no Alan Cumming, no Fiona Shaw (but her shitty "play" got nominated - go figure).

Only Holland Taylor got an actress nomination for a solo show.

by Anonymousreply 18104/30/2013

Billy Magnussen nominated over Jeremy Shamos?!

by Anonymousreply 18204/30/2013

Nothing for Bette, Jessica Chastain, Chita Rivera, Alec Baldwin, Al Pacino, Scarlet Johanson, Sigourney Weaver.

by Anonymousreply 18304/30/2013

No Katie Finneran for ANNIE either.

by Anonymousreply 18404/30/2013

No Anthony Warrilow or Lila CRawford either. Annie only got the nom for Best Revival because there were no other options.

by Anonymousreply 18504/30/2013

Will somebody just give Jane Greenwood that honorary Tony already?

by Anonymousreply 18604/30/2013

Nothing for Cat at all. That must've sucked.

by Anonymousreply 18704/30/2013

Strange they nominated The Testament of Mary for Best Play but didn't nominate Fiona Shaw. Maybe they thought they had it covered with Nathan Lane in The Nance.

by Anonymousreply 18804/30/2013

When one thinks of the dearth of good plays, it's really no surprise they had to nominate Testament of Mary.

I mean, what play should have taken its place amongst the nominations?

by Anonymousreply 18904/30/2013

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near La Bette for the rest of this run.

by Anonymousreply 19004/30/2013

R175, you are correct. Rebecca is actually a good musical and was well directed by Francesca Zambello. If the American version was to be bad, it is because the producers did not trust to bring the Austrian production over w/o major changes.

by Anonymousreply 19104/30/2013

Instead of Testament of Mary, they could have nominated an actual play: Grace, The Nance or The Other Place.

by Anonymousreply 19204/30/2013

[quote]Instead of Testament of Mary, they could have nominated an actual play: Grace, The Nance or The Other Place.

Now that's the funniest thing I've read all day!

by Anonymousreply 19304/30/2013

"Annie only got the nom for Best Revival because there were no other options."

And that need for CBS to have a crowd-pleasing musical number the people in the Midwest, and the devoted fans of GLEE, will watch.

by Anonymousreply 19404/30/2013

Kathie Lee just acted as if she got nominated for a TONY instead of Carolee Carmelo.

by Anonymousreply 19504/30/2013

The Testament of Mary was TERRIBLE. The Other Place or The Nance, while no great works of art, would have been a better category filler than that piece of crap.

Glad Bette was snubbed. Poor Jessica Hecht, but she'll live. I'm hoping Amy Morton can find a way to beat Tyson.

Would be AWESOME to see Morton and Letts take home those awards.

by Anonymousreply 19604/30/2013

Irwin and Turner didn't. Could go to Letts though who seemed to reinvent the role. But if Lucky Guy is going to win anything it'll be Best Actor, right? They must love it if they gave it a Best Play nominaton.

by Anonymousreply 19704/30/2013

I think Irwin did, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 19804/30/2013

Yes, Irwin won. And Turner would have too but for Cherry Jones.

by Anonymousreply 19904/30/2013

Irwin won the Tony. Turner lost to Cherry Jones who, graciously, acknowledged Turner in her acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 20004/30/2013

They're giving Larry Kramer the Isabelle Stevenson Award???

by Anonymousreply 20104/30/2013

Well, in truth, Larry's looking more like Isabelle Stevenson than ever.

by Anonymousreply 20204/30/2013

Can someone please post all the nominations? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 20304/30/2013

Best Play

The Assembled Parties Author: Richard Greenberg

Lucky Guy Author: Nora Ephron

The Testament of Mary Author: Colm Toíbín

Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike Author: Christopher Durang

Best Musical Bring It On: The Musical A Christmas Story, The Musical Kinky Boots Matilda The Musical

Best Revival of a Play Golden Boy Orphans The Trip to Bountiful Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Best Revival of a Musical Annie The Mystery of Edwin Drood Pippin Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella

Best Book of a Musical

A Christmas Story, The Musical Joseph Robinette

Kinky Boots Harvey Fierstein

Matilda The Musical Dennis Kelly

Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella Douglas Carter Beane

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre

A Christmas Story, The Musical Music and Lyrics: Benj Pasek and Justin Paul

Hands on a Hardbody Music: Trey Anastasio and Amanda Green Lyrics: Amanda Green

Kinky Boots Music & Lyrics: Cyndi Lauper

Matilda The Musical Music & Lyrics: Tim Minchin

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play Tom Hanks, Lucky Guy Nathan Lane, The Nance Tracy Letts, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? David Hyde Pierce, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike Tom Sturridge, Orphans

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play Laurie Metcalf, The Other Place Amy Morton, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Kristine Nielsen, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike Holland Taylor, Ann Cicely Tyson, The Trip to Bountiful

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical Bertie Carvel, Matilda The Musical Santino Fontana, Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella Rob McClure, Chaplin Billy Porter, Kinky Boots Stark Sands, Kinky Boots

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical Stephanie J. Block, The Mystery of Edwin Drood Carolee Carmello, Scandalous Valisia LeKae, Motown The Musical Patina Miller, Pippin Laura Osnes, Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play Danny Burstein, Golden Boy Richard Kind, The Big Knife Billy Magnussen, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike Tony Shalhoub, Golden Boy Courtney B. Vance, Lucky Guy

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play Carrie Coon, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Shalita Grant, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike Judith Ivey, The Heiress Judith Light, The Assembled Parties Condola Rashad, The Trip to Bountiful

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical Charl Brown, Motown The Musical Keith Carradine, Hands on a Hardbody Will Chase, The Mystery of Edwin Drood Gabriel Ebert, Matilda The Musical Terrence Mann, Pippin

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical Annaleigh Ashford, Kinky Boots Victoria Clark, Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella Andrea Martin, Pippin Keala Settle, Hands on a Hardbody Lauren Ward, Matilda The Musical

Best Scenic Design of a Play John Lee Beatty, The Nance Santo Loquasto, The Assembled Parties David Rockwell, Lucky Guy Michael Yeargan, Golden Boy

Best Scenic Design of a Musical Rob Howell, Matilda The Musical Anna Louizos, The Mystery of Edwin Drood Scott Pask, Pippin David Rockwell, Kinky Boots

Best Costume Design of a Play Soutra Gilmour, Cyrano de Bergerac Ann Roth, The Nance Albert Wolsky, The Heiress Catherine Zuber, Golden Boy

Best Costume Design of a Musical Gregg Barnes, Kinky Boots Rob Howell, Matilda The Musical Dominique Lemieux, Pippin William Ivey Long, Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella

Best Lighting Design of a Play Jules Fisher & Peggy Eisenhauer, Lucky Guy Donald Holder, Golden Boy Jennifer Tipton, The Testament of Mary Japhy Weideman, The Nance

Best Lighting Design of a Musical Kenneth Posner, Kinky Boots Kenneth Posner, Pippin Kenneth Posner, Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella Hugh Vanstone, Matilda The Musical

Best Sound Design of a Play John Gromada, The Trip to Bountiful Mel Mercier, The Testament of Mary Leon Rothenberg, The Nance Peter John Still and Marc Salzberg, Golden Boy

Best Sound Design of a Musical Jonathan Deans and Garth Helm, Pippin Peter Hylenski,

by Anonymousreply 20404/30/2013

[quote]They're giving Larry Kramer the Isabelle Stevenson Award???

Yes, she died so she can't give it to herself anymore.

by Anonymousreply 20504/30/2013

Billy Magnussen from ATWT got a nomination.

Remember 3 years ago when all the Van Hansis fans said he was going to be a MAJOR superstar when the show ended.

I hate to say I told you so, but..

by Anonymousreply 20604/30/2013

[quote]Rebecca is actually a good musical and was well directed by Francesca Zambello.

Funniest thing I've read on DL in ages. This is how ya do it, bitches. Hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 20704/30/2013

Once again, don't be ignorant R208.

by Anonymousreply 20904/30/2013

R209, don't feed the troll.

by Anonymousreply 21104/30/2013

It doesn't deserve an answer.

by Anonymousreply 21204/30/2013

The person is trolling.

I'm thrilled for Golden Boy. It was the best show of the season by a longshot.

by Anonymousreply 21404/30/2013

[quote]Rebecca is actually a good musical and was well directed by Francesca Zambello.... Funniest thing I've read on DL in ages. This is how ya do it, bitches. Hysterical.

Why is it funny? Did you see the show? Are you judging an entire production because the producer is screwy? Maybe the show deserves someone who knows what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 21604/30/2013

Testament of MARY! closing Sunday. And the protestors will claim credit for it. And that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 21704/30/2013

Irwin didn't deserve the Tony, he sucked, so did Kathleen Turner.

by Anonymousreply 21804/30/2013

[quote]Why is it funny? Did you see the show? Are you judging an entire production because the producer is screwy? Maybe the show deserves someone who knows what he's doing.

I've heard the recording (which admittedly wasn't in English) and I saw a video of it. And I feel I can state with at least a bit of authority that the shady dealings of Ben Sprecher are dwarfed by the sheer incompetence of the piece itself. It's a shamefully awful adaptation of the story. And the music is numbingly bad. Dreck, even by the standards of those Euro-pop things.

I'm so tired of people defending these kinds of shows. And yes, that includes DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES. Whatever teeny, tiny bit of that show that was decent in Berlin (and that one I did see in person) was ripped to shreds by Rando, Crawford and company. BUT, even in its original form, it was still 99% dreck. It was never gonna fly here. And neither would REBECCA.

by Anonymousreply 21904/30/2013

[quote]Billy Magnussen from ATWT got a nomination

Billy's ass was the best thing on display in this past season's BOARDWALK EMPIRE! Too bad Gretchen Mol had to kill him (and his ass) off the show!

by Anonymousreply 22004/30/2013

I have not seen the production, but why did Fiona Shaw NOT get a Best Actress nomination?

by Anonymousreply 22104/30/2013

Too funny R215! Not Snobbery at all.

The person was making fun of the idiot in the last thread who thought that Breakfast at Tiffany's was a revival of the musical and not a new play.

Everyone here knows that Golden Boy was a revival of the Odets play and that the Strouse/Adams musical was a (loose) adaptation of that source material.

Don't the people posting in this thread actually go to theater and see these shows? I do.

by Anonymousreply 22204/30/2013

R219, Thank you for proving my point. I did see the Musical of Rebecca in Vienna. You cannot possibly know what the show is like off of Youtube. In a live performance it was wonderful. Yes, the orchestrations are Euro-pop. I don't mind that, but they are orchestrations. They can be tweaked. It sounds as if you hate anything European.

by Anonymousreply 22304/30/2013

Breakfast a tTiffan'ys the musical was originally titled HOLLY GOLIGHTLY. Merrick opted for the original title of the novella and movie around the time Edward Albee came in to replace the sacked writer.

In golden days, adaptions of films or books usually did have different titles than the original source.

A Time for Singing-- How Green was My Valley

Angel - Look Homeward, Angel

Here's Where I Belong - East of Eden

Hot September - Picnic

and yes, those mentioned above were all flops.

Is The Happy Time the first musical that used the original title? Anyone know for sure?

by Anonymousreply 22504/30/2013

I mean Breakfast at Tiffany's.. sorry!

by Anonymousreply 22604/30/2013

I know it is difficult to get MATILDA tickets, but is it as difficult to get KINKY BOOTS?

Bette's show should be looser now.

by Anonymousreply 22704/30/2013

Please R224.

If you knew that Golden Boy was not just a musical but a "Strouse/Adams musical", then you are hardly a "non-theater queen" but by all accounts you are a full-fledged Elizabethan theater queen with an oil portrait in the Tudor Wing of the National Portrait Gallery.

by Anonymousreply 22804/30/2013

Oh, if only there were somewhere R229, et al, could go to find out information on these plays and musicals!

by Anonymousreply 23004/30/2013

why Burstein and Shalhoub-? noms should have gone to Numrich and Mastrogiorgio

by Anonymousreply 23104/30/2013

[quote]Thank you for proving my point. I did see the Musical of Rebecca in Vienna. You cannot possibly know what the show is like off of Youtube. In a live performance it was wonderful.

How did I prove your point? If someone shows me a photograph of dogshit, I may not be able to tell you exactly how it'll smell, but experience suggests it ain't gonna be like roses. In this case, a story badly told is a story badly told. Being live in the room isn't going to bring any additional depth to that treatment.

[quote]It sounds as if you hate anything European.

It depends on how you define "European". Are you counting the UK? 'Cause I'll hold MATILDA against (and quite frankly above) any American musical of the last thirty years. BILLY ELLIOT was flawed left and right, but it was tremendously moving in the end. And I'm a huge fan of how they transformed the original French tableau rock musical of LES MISERABLES into what it is today. Masterful work.

If you're not counting the UK, then you may be right. VAMPIRES, MOZART, REBECCA, ELIZABETH -- all tripe in my book.

by Anonymousreply 23304/30/2013

Billy Magnussen nominated over Jeremy Shamos. WTF? Actually Magnussen over anybody makes no sense. He did nothing but wiggle his sweet ass at the fraus and queens in the front row. And this is how Tony nominations are born. ... and who is that chick nominated for best supporting Actress from the Vanya, Sonya, Masha and Shit? I saw the play and cannot remember her character at all! Kristen Neilson (or whatever her names is) is nominated for doing the same dizzy thing she's done since God created dirt. Yawn. It's hers to lose it seems. And Chris Durang and these constant odes to the gay sensibility. Belch. Again, His award seems certain. Has there ever been a more lightweight phony piece of claptrap awarded with such honor? Is it a terrible season? Are the nominators in the pocket of LCT?

by Anonymousreply 23404/30/2013

Nope R234- maybe it's just that LCT puts on the best theater in New York season after season after season. That's not to say they never have a stinker, but even their bombs are ambitious (Women on the Verge, Free Man of Color).

Kristine Nielsen is giving a bravura performance, and the telephone call is a highlight of the entire season.

To the fools who thought Golden Boy was a revival of the musical, what part did you think Seth Numrich was playing exactly? Danny Burstein? Tony Shalhoub? Or did you think this was the all-white version of the show and Lorna was being played by Anika Noni Rose or something?

by Anonymousreply 23504/30/2013

You need to look up Clifford Odets on Wikipedia. That will answer your questions about Golden Boy.

by Anonymousreply 23704/30/2013

Yes, but as far as I know he hasn't performed in black face. (I realize there are a few white roles in Golden Boy: The Musical, but this cast was as white/Italian as can be!)

by Anonymousreply 23804/30/2013

One day, a producer came on board and offered me a part in the all-white company of the all-black version of Hello, Dolly! I jumped at it!

by Anonymousreply 23904/30/2013

Are you wearing a muu-muu, R234? Because you sound like you are.

by Anonymousreply 24104/30/2013

I can just imagine Seth, Danny and Tony singing the part from "Don't Forget 127th St" where they spell out Harlem:

H is for the heroin they sell here A is for the alleys where kids play R is for the rats that run pell mell here L is for the landlords, far away E is for the endless clean up project M is for the moldy roofs above Put that all together it spells Har-ar-lem (oh, yeah!) Nitwit! The place that white folk, white folk think we love!

by Anonymousreply 24204/30/2013

Dear God.

You're boring me senseless.

Please bring back the FOLLIES Trolls, already.

by Anonymousreply 24404/30/2013

For fuck's sake, GOLDEN BOY is a play about an Italian prize fighter. It was a big hit. It is frequently revived.

The musical made him black. It was a semi-hit that is rarely revived.

How hard is that to figure out?

by Anonymousreply 24504/30/2013

ENOUGH with Golden Boy!

The bigger question is why hasn't Ilya Darling been restaged?!

by Anonymousreply 24704/30/2013

R246, Maybe we expect people to come to the table with a modicum of knowledge. It's not like anyone's expecting you to know every lyric from Sarava.

Clifford Odets, Bartlett Sher, Charles Strouse, Lee Adams, Sammy Davis Jr, Seth Numrich- is it too much to expect that you know who these people are?

by Anonymousreply 24804/30/2013

No, the bigger question is, has Mamet's writing gone to shit now that he's become a noe-conservative in his later years?

Is patti thrilled to be overlooked so she won't have to grin and bear it at the awards ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 24904/30/2013

When was Mamet's last good play? Race wasn't any great shakes, but compared to The Anarchist it was genius.

by Anonymousreply 25004/30/2013

Who shall I wear to the TONYS, kids?

And if one of you big handsome lugs wants to be my date, I'd be tickled to the pink!

by Anonymousreply 25104/30/2013

[quote]Clifford Odets, Bartlett Sher, Charles Strouse, Lee Adams, Sammy Davis Jr, Seth Numrich- is it too much to expect that you know who these people are?

One of these things is not like the others.

by Anonymousreply 25204/30/2013

Whatever you wear, KZ, make sure you pad your bra so that nobody realizes you have tiny titties!

by Anonymousreply 25304/30/2013

Why wasn't I nominated for anything?? Bright side I suppose is that I don't have to host a nasty potluck this year for those starving, unclean, homeless actors.

by Anonymousreply 25404/30/2013

[quote]When was Mamet's last good play?

1994: The Cryptogram

by Anonymousreply 25504/30/2013

Revenge Of The Space Pandas

by Anonymousreply 25604/30/2013

Why wasn't Erik Estrada offered the lead in Golden Boy? He did do the TV movie and has had Broadway in True West.

by Anonymousreply 25704/30/2013

Golden Boy was my ticket to the stars!!

by Anonymousreply 25804/30/2013

Erik will be doing the telenovela version, "El Chico Dorado."

by Anonymousreply 25904/30/2013

There is now a TV version of Golden Boy starring Chi McBride

by Anonymousreply 26004/30/2013

So, what did Bette throw out her dressing room window?

by Anonymousreply 26104/30/2013

Did they try for Michael Arden for Golden Boy? I'm sure he'd do it!

by Anonymousreply 26204/30/2013

LOL R262!

by Anonymousreply 26304/30/2013

Jesus Christ, the people on this thread are dumb. WTF is it with Golden Boy and Breakfast at Tiffany's?? One's a fucking play and the other a fucking musical version of the source material. Is that so damn hard to understand? Good God!

Yes, time to discuss ILLYA DARLING.

by Anonymousreply 26404/30/2013

Creating Musical Theatre: Conversations with Broadway Directors and Choreographers (Bloomsbury Methuen Drama - Paperback Book) By Lyn Cramer. Featuring Rob Ashford, Andy Blankenbuehler, Jeff Calhoun, Warren Carlyle, Christopher Gattelli, Kathleen Marshall, Jerry Mitchell, Casey Nicholaw, Randy Skinner, Susan Stroman, Sergio Trujillo, Anthony Van Laast.

Now someone - anyone - dare tell me that theater is not dead after reading the above list.

by Anonymousreply 26604/30/2013

Someone needs to write "Golden Girl," a one-woman show based on Bea Arthur's life.

by Anonymousreply 26704/30/2013

R267 it is already being done called Golden Gays a new reality show.

by Anonymousreply 26804/30/2013

Hate to be that guy, but can someone explain the Michael Arden reference to me?

by Anonymousreply 26904/30/2013

[quote] Yes, time to discuss ILLYA DARLING.

Is that the version from whence they stripped the songs to make "Never on Sunday?"

by Anonymousreply 27104/30/2013

[quote]Yes, time to discuss ILLYA DARLING.

I saw Act One of ILLYA DARLING!. I wasn't familiar with the story having never seen the movie. I left at intermission.. what a stupid thing to do! My folks had take me and a high school friend for a week in NY. We saw shows every night some with my parents (I DO! I DO!), a few on our own (CABARET, APPLE TREE, HALLELUJAH BABY). This particular night, my parents went out to dinner, my friend Gary was seeing Betty Grable in DOLLY which I had seen with Channing. I must have been bored with ILLYA. Instead of staying for the second act, me, the idiot went back to the hotel and watched SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS on CBS Thursday Night at the Movies. I think about what a fool I was when I listen to the ILLYA DARLING cast CD Bruce Kimmel released a few years ago. So glad to have that memento at least.

by Anonymousreply 27204/30/2013

"The bigger question is why hasn't Ilya Darling been restaged?!"

That's the kind of question that sets my heart aflutter and makes me want to have your babies, r247.

by Anonymousreply 27304/30/2013

"Now someone - anyone - dare tell me that theater is not dead after reading the above list."

You said it, r266. Requiescat in pace, Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 27404/30/2013

kcguy, I'm not yet 30, so I wasn't able to see Illya Darling, but I was thrilled when Bruce Kimmel released the OBCR too and listen to it frequently.

It wouldn't stand a chance having a commercial run, but Encores! would do a nice staging I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 27504/30/2013

Honestly, ILLYA DARLING may not have the greatest score but the Overture (in truth, the production number Bouzouki Nights) and the Entr'acte are two of the most viscerally exciting instrumentals in the history of Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 27604/30/2013

This is an edited clip of the Ed Sullivan ILLYA performance. Can't find the complete clip anymore. Not even on blugobo. It must have been taken down.

by Anonymousreply 27704/30/2013

I never knew there had been an ILLYA tour with Cyd Charise..

by Anonymousreply 27804/30/2013

Re: R277

Those have to be some of the most boring costumes ever. It looks as if the Greeks shop a Filene's Basement.

by Anonymousreply 27904/30/2013

Fuck off, R265. We don't have to answer your stupid questions. It's a fair assumption that if someone knows about an obscure Sammy Daviis, Jr. musical they undoubtedly know the comparatively monumental source material and are just trolling for attention.

Shame you have nothing of worth to contribute here. Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 28004/30/2013

I'm really looking forward to Bette Midler presenting at the Tony Awards. That will be hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 28104/30/2013

Rebeca may have looked spectacular in Vienna (although the party scene was a clear rip-off of Phantom's Masquerade number) - but the score is, indeed, dreck. You can dress it up anyway you want to, but the score is truly dreadful.

Why Ben Sprecher would risk everything over this piece of garbage is a mystery. I don't see how he thinks it could be a smash hit, when it costs a fortune and is so terribly written.

by Anonymousreply 28204/30/2013

Wow, Illya Darling looks so visually unappealing in that clip. Compare it to the opening of Zorba, which was done on the Tonys a year later, and was much more exciting.

by Anonymousreply 28304/30/2013

Agree about Overture and Entr'acte of Illya Darling. I always thought they would be great musical pices for ice skating competitions- so exhilerating. And I LOVE Despo!

by Anonymousreply 28404/30/2013

Illya could be staged on the set of Mamma Mia. Especially if it means an end to Mamma Mia's run.

Who could be Illya? Jan Maxwell? Mercouri's dancing style isn't far off.

by Anonymousreply 28504/30/2013

Since Mamma Mia is moving theaters, I fear it won't be closing anytime soon. :(

by Anonymousreply 28604/30/2013

I did stay for the second act of Ilya Darling (though my parents left at intermission, Kcguy!). Sorry to say the best number was Despo singing "I'll never lay down anymore". In the 2nd act! And I liked the show a lot, though I was only 15.

by Anonymousreply 28704/30/2013

I know this is k-ra-zy but you know who'd I'd love to see play Illya? Arianna Huffington. Yeah, I know she's long in the tooth but...she's Greek, beautiful, sexy, funny. She'd be fine for a concert or staged reading.

On another note entirely...

"Yes, the orchestrations are Euro-pop. I don't mind that, but they are orchestrations. They can be tweaked."

Oh, please. Orchestrations are the one redeeming element of most contemporary musicals. They can take lackluster scores like LEGS DIAMOND or A CHRISTMAS STORY and actually make them sound like something. REBECCA is just another shrill, shrieking farrago of Euro-pop (and, sorry, r233, MATILDA, BILLY ELLIOTT and LES MIS are just as dreadful) that doesn't begin to communicate atmosphere, period, place or character. Maybe the producers should interpolate Eye of the Tiger and Gonna Fly Now---it couldn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 28804/30/2013

[quote]I know this is k-ra-zy but you know who'd I'd love to see play Illya? Arianna Huffington. Yeah, I know she's long in the tooth but...she's Greek, beautiful, sexy, funny. She'd be fine for a concert or staged reading.

We could just get Nasim Pedrad doing her Arianna impression.

by Anonymousreply 28904/30/2013

Bombshell shut out of the Tonys-posting notice poor Ivy Lynn -back to the perfume counter

by Anonymousreply 29004/30/2013

kjn

by Anonymousreply 29104/30/2013

R290 - Hit List was also shut out, I hope Jimmy Collins doesn't go back to drugs

by Anonymousreply 29204/30/2013

Oops.

Just to say: I totally predicted way back when that Midler would not be nominated for a Tony Award this year, and many of you scoffed.

But I was right!

I still think Holland Taylor will win. Her play's still running, for one thing. She's fantastic, for another. And she wrote the thing, even though it's not particularly good - though on the other hand, it's as good as a lot of crappy new plays that get produced on Bway.

by Anonymousreply 29304/30/2013

R287-- Told ya. I was an idiot!

by Anonymousreply 29404/30/2013

Did anyone see JIMMY? Anita Gillette! Julie Wilson! Love the cast album.

by Anonymousreply 29504/30/2013

fuck right off r280, this is a gay theater discussion. If you don't have the sense to know what the fuck you are talking about, you deserve to get knocked around for it.

by Anonymousreply 29604/30/2013

There is no way THE OTHER PLACE is "better" than TESTAMENT OF MARY. The former was shit. Really tedious, manipulative (though it didn't work) and poorly written. Even Metcalf wasn't enough to make the evening worthwhile, and she was pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 29704/30/2013

But Nielsen and Tyson's plays will be running at Tony time too.

Tyson is the one to beat at the moment I think, though I'd give it to Nielsen or Morton personally.

by Anonymousreply 29804/30/2013

Jimmy - now that IS a shit musical. "oh gee, couldn't be sillier, your face is kind of familiar" UGH!

by Anonymousreply 29904/30/2013

Seriously, its the day of the Tony nominations and you're arguing over Illya Darling and Jimmy? How old ARE you people? Where is this basement you live in?

by Anonymousreply 30004/30/2013

That's what I heard. But I do like some of Anita Gillette's numbers.

by Anonymousreply 30104/30/2013

On Stage Across America debuts on Time Warner Cable all over the country so all of you can enjoy the amateurish talents of Frank DiLella.

The first episode does have a piece on some college that's doing Avenue Q. They mention that they had to make puppets by hand and yet Frank ends the piece with him calling John Tartaglia on the phone. Frank, you know EVERYONE!

by Anonymousreply 30204/30/2013

I've seen the shows this season... yes, I have. :) I am interested in the ones I missed. But by all means carry on R300. I'll step aside. :)

by Anonymousreply 30304/30/2013

r300, you're mixing your metaphors. Old people don't live in their mothers' basements.

There are a LOT of theater people on DL, which is why the freshest and most reliable gossip is generally to be found on these theatre threads. And theater people, unlike movie or TV people, tend to be knowledgeable about the world of theater outside of today.

Now go die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 30404/30/2013

It should be called On Stage Across America Financed By My Trust Fund.

by Anonymousreply 30504/30/2013

Oh, get over yourself, r300. Even a second-rate score like Illya Darling's is SUPERIOR to anything that opened on Broadway this year.

by Anonymousreply 30604/30/2013

I saw Anita Gillette's cabaret at Birdland a few months ago and she sang a song from Jimmy- it was a ton of fun and the score has its moments.

She is still in marvelous voice, btw, and told some very funny and charming stories between the songs.

I'm 29 and love talking about all the hits (and flops) from the past just as much as the shows from today. If you don't know about a show being discussed here why don't you buy a cast recording, read a play or at the least go to ibdb/wikipedia and try to learn something for once in your life! (Thank you Golden Rainbow!)

by Anonymousreply 30704/30/2013

hugs R307! :)

by Anonymousreply 30804/30/2013

So besides the deserved closings of NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT and TESTAMENT OF MARY, what else is next?

by Anonymousreply 30904/30/2013

I was surprised J&H didn't announce a closing today after it didn't pick up a single nomination.

Almost every other play is a limited run and most will probably play out their engagements.

by Anonymousreply 31004/30/2013

R300 There is a TONY thread.

by Anonymousreply 31104/30/2013

Any news on Sally Bowles?

by Anonymousreply 31204/30/2013

Yea, she fucks gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 31304/30/2013

Is Tyson really respected as a stage actress though? Nielsen is the hometown NY theatre girl made good...I think she has the edge. (plus it is such an enjoyable performance...I was staring at my watch during Tyson's.)

by Anonymousreply 31404/30/2013

The old black actress is gonna win the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 31504/30/2013

Not the greatest year for Broadway shows but there will be genuine tension and surprise when the winners are announced. The only category that seems a given are Best Musical Revival Pippin and Andrea Martin.

Am I missng any other obvious winners?

by Anonymousreply 31604/30/2013

Disappointed that Deborah Cox didn't get a nomination. But the girl from Motown got one? Bah humbug! Vanessa Williams was snubbed as well.

by Anonymousreply 31704/30/2013

Will the Tony Awards do a remote from C Z-J's solarium?

by Anonymousreply 31804/30/2013

Nice cox, Deborah!

by Anonymousreply 31904/30/2013

Surprised that Bring It On got a nomination. What a piece of shit that show was.

Hardbody was really robbed.

Holland Taylor will win for Ann as I've said for months.

And the queens who can't answer silly questions need to dial it down.

What the hell is First Date the musical?

by Anonymousreply 32004/30/2013

Not a huge fan of The Onion, bu thought this was funny:

by Anonymousreply 32104/30/2013

First Date will be the first new musical of the 2013-2014 season. It's going into the Longacre and is sure to be a flop.

It had an out of town tryout in Seattle, maybe?

The cast hasn't been announced, but if the Seattle cast transfers there wasn't even a Betsy Wolfe type in name in the list.

by Anonymousreply 32204/30/2013

I'm waiting for "Mystery Date, The Musical."

by Anonymousreply 32304/30/2013

Did Betty Lynn get a Broadway show? Her classes have been cancelled from July thru the end of the year....because she's booked!!

by Anonymousreply 32404/30/2013

Michael Arden will do anyone to get ahead or is that give head.

by Anonymousreply 32504/30/2013

I walked by the First Date marquee the other day and thought for sure it was done up for a fictional musical in a movie or TV show.

by Anonymousreply 32604/30/2013

"There are a LOT of theater people on DL, which is why the freshest and most reliable gossip is generally to be found on these theatre threads."

You're kidding, right? Maybe seven or eight years ago...

by Anonymousreply 32705/01/2013

The Michael Arden reference is to him liking to get pissed on.

by Anonymousreply 32805/01/2013

Michael Arden will give head to anyone to get ahead - actually, if they're hung and cute, they don't even have to give him a career boost.

As for being a "golden boy," only after a really kinky night.

by Anonymousreply 32905/01/2013

[quote]Is The Happy Time the first musical that used the original title? Anyone know for sure?

Yes and no. David Merrick bought the original play, but essentially used only the title and a few of the characters and put them into a different story.

by Anonymousreply 33005/01/2013

Michael Arden is into water sports?!? Holy shit my dream has come too. If I lived in NYC -- or, I suppose, in LA now -- I would seriously be stalking that boy. With a full bladder. He is the cutest thing on earth.

by Anonymousreply 33105/01/2013

Michael Arden's cuteness is past its sell-by date.

by Anonymousreply 33205/01/2013

I got to suck on Anita Gillette's tits once.

by Anonymousreply 33305/01/2013

[quote]According to sources, despite the buzz surrounding Flashy, Masturbatory Horseshit for best revival of a musical, sources confirm that it is almost certainly Pippin’s year.

by Anonymousreply 33405/01/2013

[quote]I got to suck on Anita Gillette's tits once.

So did half of New York.

by Anonymousreply 33505/01/2013

From Budapest?

I never met a ruder pest.

by Anonymousreply 33605/01/2013

Power threesome.

Mikey Arden and Andy are "an item" now. Although, who's the bottom?

by Anonymousreply 33705/01/2013

Gee Andrew Rannells is alert in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 33805/01/2013

That picture is hysterical. Three Bottoms In Search Of A Power Top.

by Anonymousreply 33905/01/2013

If Jason in bare was this hot off Broadway, maybe it would have ran a little longer...

by Anonymousreply 34005/01/2013

Wait, Bare was originally an opera? Do they really mean sung through musical?

by Anonymousreply 34105/01/2013

For the guy who is a plus one with his Tony nominator boyfriend who wondered if their tickets would be honoured for I'll Eat You Last w/o a nomination for Bette - read Riedel today. Your tickets have been pulled.

Also says Bette has no intention of appearing as a presenter but that's likely to change. She ought to go and lap up all the appreciation - she would steal that show in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 34205/01/2013

Call me, Bette. We'll discuss "egregious errors."

by Anonymousreply 34305/01/2013

Earlier show than THE HAPPY TIME that didn't change the title from the source material: FANNY

by Anonymousreply 34405/01/2013

And even earlier, r345:

Pal Joey

Street Scene

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Zorba

by Anonymousreply 34505/01/2013

Well, Street Scene is the only one that was a stage play before it was a musical (or opera).

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was a novel, then a movie. Zorba (the Greek) was a novel, then a movie. Pal Joey was a series of newspaper stories.

by Anonymousreply 34605/01/2013

I'll Never Stop Trying to Make Jekyll & Hyde Happen, Vows Frank Wildhorn

by Anonymousreply 34705/01/2013

[quote] I'll Never Stop Trying to Make Frank Wildhorn Happen, Vows Frank Wildhorn

There, I fixed that for you!

by Anonymousreply 34805/01/2013

Kristin Chenoweth appeared on the Tonys in 2010 when she didn't get a nom for "Promises, Promises," right?

by Anonymousreply 34905/01/2013

Bette should make an appearance, be gracious. It's not that people don't like her it's just that there are far more accomplished actresses in more demanding roles that deserve recognition.

Plus, it's kind of tiresome, these people who open a week before the deadline and expect everyone to fall at their feet. At least Holland Taylor had the balls to open in March. When Robert Morse did Tru he played for 6 months before the Tony Awards. Maybe she should've tried that.

by Anonymousreply 35005/01/2013

Bette should take any exposure she could get these days.

by Anonymousreply 35105/01/2013

Why should she cowtow? Her show is selling out nightly.

by Anonymousreply 35205/01/2013

[quote]Why should she cowtow?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 35305/01/2013

DOWNTON ABBEY spoof Downstairs at 54

Adorable Matt Doyle!

Mary Stout without the hot dog cart!

Laura Osnes, Broadway's Golden Girl!

Randy Graff!

by Anonymousreply 35405/01/2013

R350, Yes Chenoweth did appear on the Tonys that year after not being nominated for Promises, Promises and was a good sport about it. If I recall, she was supposed to present an award, but she just walked out of the wings and began thanking people like she had won! Then someone came and told her she didn't win, and she was like, "But I always win!" He answered, "You weren't even nominated," and she fainted.

Nathan and Bebe also presented that year when they weren't nominated for The Addams Family. Lane quipped that they were silent on nomination day, or as it was called in his household: Passover.

Much better for people to have a sense of humor about it. No one wants to see actors pouting in the corner.

by Anonymousreply 35505/01/2013

Daniel Radcliffe was also a trooper after Tony passed him over for How to Succeed a few years ago. He was part of the Tony Show (Remember Brotherhood of Man?) and became a darling of the Broadway community for all his Broadway Cares work and for his generally fabulous personality.

by Anonymousreply 35605/01/2013

Bette, of course, received a Special Tony Award in 1974 (presented by Johnny Carson) "for adding lustre to the Broadway season. She does not need to show up at the Tonys, but she should. Like Dustin Hoffman, who was not nominated for Death of a Salesman in 1984 but showed up and presented anyway, she will appear gracious and classy.

by Anonymousreply 35705/01/2013

it's trouper not trooper

by Anonymousreply 35805/01/2013

Most of the people being cited for showing up despite not receiving a nomination really can be seen as professional actors more than celebrities. Celebrities need reinforcement because, on some level, they know their fame rests on very little. Real actors have a resume.

by Anonymousreply 35905/01/2013

...and real actors sometimes get rewarded. Remember how surprised everyone was when David Hyde-Pierce won for "Curtains"? That was pretty much his "thanks for being a good actor and a nice guy" award.

(I think Boyd Gaines also gets those).

by Anonymousreply 36005/01/2013

ZORBA doesn't count, because the book and movie were ZORBA THE GREEK.

And FANNY isn't just based on the movie Fanny, but on the whole trilogy - Marius, Cesar, and Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 36105/01/2013

I've heard several songs from REBECCA performed at various concerts/events by people who were supposed to be in the second canceled Broadway production (as opposed to the first canceled Broadway production). Judging from those songs, I agree that the score is dreck, and it's hard to understand why Ben Sprecher is so hell-bent on getting the show up. I guess he has no taste, aside from everything else.

by Anonymousreply 36205/01/2013

[quote]Lane quipped that they were silent on nomination day, or as it was called in his household: Passover.

A joke which he stole from Bob Hope on the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 36305/01/2013

[quote]would have ran

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 36405/01/2013

r361 not to mention he was excellent in a so-so show.

by Anonymousreply 36505/01/2013

[quote]I agree that the score is dreck,

Yeah, yeah dreck. Every theater queen thinks every score is dreck, except Sondheim of course, which the general public dismisses time after time.

by Anonymousreply 36605/01/2013

Are there any promising scores on the horizon? Listened to Kinky Boots and Dogfight - nothing really thrilling. Matilda's works much better in the show, but it seems like there's nothing great coming up. Even shows like Women on the Verge have some excellent songs.

by Anonymousreply 36705/01/2013

Far From Heaven starts soon R368. I haven't heard a note of the score, but it could be good.

Otherwise it has been fairly slim pickins.

by Anonymousreply 36805/01/2013

Will Kelli be showing her baby bump when Far From Heaven begins previews next week?

The nasty thing about pregnancies is they just keep getting bigger and bigger each week. Can she survive a month of previews without resorting to holding bigger and bigger purses over her waist in every scene?

by Anonymousreply 36905/01/2013

[quote][R361] not to mention he was excellent in a so-so show.

Carolee Carmello's mantra for the next four weeks.

by Anonymousreply 37005/01/2013

[bold] Andrea McArdle Becomes an Auntie [/bold]

MEDIA, PA

Andrea McArdle Begins Her Mame Reign

Audiences know Andrea McArdle best as Broadway's favorite redhead—no, not Jesse Tyler Ferguson—Annie! Now the Tony nominee returns to a suburb of her Philadelphia hometown to take on the eccentric and fabulous title Auntie in Jerry Herman's 1966 musical Mame, opposite Lea DeLaria as bosom buddy Vera Charles. Catch them at the Media Theatre through May 19, then at the Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, PA, from May 23 through June 9.

by Anonymousreply 37105/01/2013

Oh trooper, as in state trooper, and trouper as in lesbian! Or do I mean thespian? Same thing...

by Anonymousreply 37205/01/2013

"Far From Heaven starts soon. I haven't heard a note of the score, but it could be good"

It's not. I found the FFH songs disappointingly unmememorable, and in one instance, misconceived (the songs for the gossip, though I hear they've been cut).It's strange. I thought the score for Grey Gardens was among the most accomplished since Urinetown. But nothing Frankel has written since comes close. And speaking of Hollman and Kotis, whatever happened to their Man in the White Suit project, or any other follow-up, for that matter? I know Kotis on his own has written a couple of plays but as a team?

"Are there any promising scores on the horizon? Listened to Kinky Boots and Dogfight -nothing really thrilling. Matilda's works much better in the show, but it seems like there's nothing great coming up. Even shows like Women on the Verge have some excellent songs."

All of the scores you mentioned, including Matilda, are lackluster, IMHO, and only Laura Benanti's song in Woman on the Verge made any impression. This is my biggest pet peeve with contemporary Broadway--the music sucks. There hasn't been a decent musical theatre song, let alone score, in ages. But given the malaise of contemporary pop music and the abysmal state of music education in the U.S., is it surprising? Nevertheless, it's dispiriting. I've heard a couple of songs from Big Fish promos and they're somewhat above average for Lippa. But I'm confused by the response the show has been receiving: industry people give it a thumbs down but the critics have been warmly receptive, including Variety (though its critics have the biggest tin ears going). Time will tell, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 37305/01/2013

"Bridges of Madison County" is a lot better than anything else Jason Robert Brown has crapped out lately - he's clearly been on autopilot for "13", "Urban Cowboy" and "Honeymoon in Vegas" and it's good to hear him actually trying again.

Not a huge fan of his, but I'm reserving judgment. Could be not terrible.

by Anonymousreply 37405/01/2013

You watch. Ms. Midler will present at the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 37505/01/2013

r374 is spot-on. After GREY GARDENS I was very excited about Frankel, but after the numbing HAPPINESS and dissapointing scores for FINDING NEVERLAND and FAR FROM HEAVEN (OK, the husband has a beautiful solo in the second act) I'm very uncertain of his Broadway future.

THE MEMORY SHOW was another dissapointment. Two good songs for Kritzer about on-line dating and one about "I am the apple and she is my tree", but the rest is painful and so-wants-to-be-another-NEXT-TO-NORMAL.

by Anonymousreply 37605/01/2013

And even Next to Normal wasn't Next to Normal.

by Anonymousreply 37705/01/2013

And "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" has already been done by Kander and Ebb in The Rink.

by Anonymousreply 37805/01/2013

I think Kristine Neilsen will win for the Durang play. She is SIMPLY AMAZING in the role. Cecily Tyson is a legend but I don't like her Carrie Watts at all.

by Anonymousreply 37905/01/2013

I heard a bootleg of the Far From Heaven score and thought it was remarkable, with O'Hara soaring on the material.

by Anonymousreply 38005/01/2013

how has Michael Arden had a career.

Mediocre actor, Mediocre singer, terrible posture

What's the attraction people?

by Anonymousreply 38105/01/2013

he's on that Charlie Sheen sitcom now

by Anonymousreply 38205/01/2013

He was cute in that Deaf West production of BIG RIVER. But age has done him no favors. He's like a less talented TR Knight.

by Anonymousreply 38305/01/2013

Miss Tyson seemed very eldery in movie The Help two years I can imagine what she is onstage now. Isn't her character advanced middle-aged not 80?

by Anonymousreply 38405/01/2013

Was Far From Heaven shut out at the Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 38505/01/2013

Yes dear. Now go back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 38605/01/2013

Michael Arden has a career because he's adorable, a good actor, and a good singer. Have you seen the clip of him singing "Run Away with Me"? It's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 38705/01/2013

What's the longest-running musical that's never been revived? I'm thinking maybe "The Magic Show"?

by Anonymousreply 38805/02/2013

Try Cats R389

by Anonymousreply 38905/02/2013

Cats

by Anonymousreply 39005/02/2013

Sorry ... I don't mean to include things that have closed in the past decade or so ...

by Anonymousreply 39105/02/2013

The musicals Seventeen and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes both came from novels bearing the same titles.

by Anonymousreply 39205/02/2013

while not surprising--no real mention of both Glengarry-Pacino/Cannavale and Cat-Scarlett/et all all being shit out this year at The Tonys

by Anonymousreply 39305/02/2013

What was the first film-to-stage work that kept the original title? 42nd Street?

by Anonymousreply 39405/02/2013

What is it about women who are get pregnant before doing FAR FROM HEAVEN. Julianne Moore was preggers during the shott for the movie Julianne More, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 39505/02/2013

Hello poster 396. Is it meds time? Or plenty of black coffee. Or have you had too much black coffee already?

by Anonymousreply 39605/02/2013

I really was pulling for Dream Skipper in the category of Most Supporting Metaphor.

by Anonymousreply 39705/02/2013

[quote]no real mention of both Glengarry-Pacino/Cannavale and Cat-Scarlett/et all all being shit out this year

I think the reason is right there in your typo.

by Anonymousreply 39805/02/2013

If/Then will be the show to beat next season. You read it here first. Amazing score.

by Anonymousreply 39905/02/2013

Michael Arden is way past his "adorable" phase. He is not aging well, and its only going to get worse. Recent pictures are evidence of this. His nude pics used to be all over the place.. now no one cares anymore.

by Anonymousreply 40005/02/2013

Just heard that Encores! next year will consist of Irma La Douce, Little Me, Most Happy Fella. Any confirmation?

by Anonymousreply 40105/02/2013

[quote]Did Betty Lynn get a Broadway show? Her classes have been cancelled from July thru the end of the year....because she's booked!!

Well, she got an OFF Broadway show...at Signature.

by Anonymousreply 40205/02/2013

McArdle as Mame? She has zero,charm, can't act ,no comic timing. Comes off as very hard onstage.

by Anonymousreply 40305/02/2013

[quote]McArdle as Mame? She has zero,charm, can't act, no comic timing. Comes off as very hard onstage.

"McArdle has all the vitality and charm anyone could ask for in the role of Mame. Her gorgeous vocals strike beautifully well-rounded notes. Singing or dancing, she illuminates the stage with her presence — an absolute delight from start to finish...

And yet she received terrific reviews like that, which means it's probably you.

by Anonymousreply 40405/02/2013

What is If/Then? Details please.

by Anonymousreply 40505/02/2013

If you use the google, you get this...

by Anonymousreply 40605/02/2013

Tyler Manyard is doing Silence! Isn't he the one that steals (things not the show...)

by Anonymousreply 40705/02/2013

yes R408

by Anonymousreply 40805/02/2013

That description of If/Then at the link makes it sound utterly dreary and mournful.

by Anonymousreply 40905/02/2013

Michael Arden has nude pics on the net?

by Anonymousreply 41005/02/2013

[quote]His nude pics used to be all over the place.. now no one cares anymore.

link?

by Anonymousreply 41105/02/2013

"Michael Arden Nude" on google just brings up a bunch of pictures of naked women.

by Anonymousreply 41205/02/2013

Gang, should I go to this?

xo Karen

by Anonymousreply 41305/02/2013

did Karen ever take a husband like a normal woman?

by Anonymousreply 41405/02/2013

It is a little scary to think of being in the same city as Betty Lynn. Someone alert homeland security.

by Anonymousreply 41505/02/2013

Karen Ziemba has a very nice husband.

OP - I saw the Cincinnati Trip to Bountiful and it was rich and moving. The lead actress has Broadway credits but is not a name in the sense that Tyson is but she blew CT away. Wilson stole the idea for himself, he is a friend of Douglas', or at least he was; Douglas had developed his production over a 2 year period. The current Broadway production is misguided; the relationships, and significance of a black woman farming in the deep south, are glossed over.

by Anonymousreply 41605/02/2013

Wilson didn't steal the idea, Hallie Foote did. She saw Douglas' production, thought it was magnificent, and then went and called Wilson and said "What do you think about this?"

by Anonymousreply 41705/02/2013

I was told my someone close to the production that Wilson and Douglas had spoken about it years ago when it was first in development. Perhaps both things are true.

by Anonymousreply 41805/02/2013

[quote]Karen Ziemba has a very nice husband

Does he like her teeny tiny titties?

by Anonymousreply 41905/02/2013

S. Epatha Merkerson should do The Trip To Bountiful on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 42005/02/2013

Would some post the Arden photos?

by Anonymousreply 42105/03/2013

The Trip To Bountiful should be retired....big yawn fest.

by Anonymousreply 42205/03/2013

You can post all the small-town reviews you want, r405. There's a reason McArdle hasn't hit as an adult leading Broadway star.

Forget Peters - McArdle is the "Original" 'Sluggo In Curls'.

by Anonymousreply 42305/03/2013

I'm not sure I like Andrea McArdle. She's comes off pretty rough. I've watched some of her cabaret performances on YouTube and there isn't any subtlety or nuance to what she does at all. More power to her but as an adult she just performs like some hammy child actress.

by Anonymousreply 42405/03/2013

The clips of McArdle as Miss Hannigan were pretty bad. She showed no comic ability at all.

by Anonymousreply 42505/03/2013

McArdle sang the hell out of "Cabaret" when she was in the national tour but her acting left a lot to be desired. Wooden.

by Anonymousreply 42605/03/2013

Jekyll & Hyde to close.

by Anonymousreply 42705/03/2013

Seriously somebody post a link or the pics of nude Michael Arden! I wanna see!

by Anonymousreply 42805/03/2013

Maybe the nude pics of Arden don't really exist?

by Anonymousreply 42905/03/2013

McArdle's a racist, too. Years ago, in the Times Square Howard Johnson's, she came in and told her assembled friends: "That nigger cop just gave me a ticket!"

by Anonymousreply 43005/03/2013

I was there, r431, she said "friggin cop."

by Anonymousreply 43105/03/2013

I don't really understand all of the Michael Arden hate on this board. He seems like a sweet guy, and I have to believe that those who do not recognize him as probably the most talented of his MT contemporaries must not have seen enough of him.

I saw "Pippin" the other night and enjoyed the production overall, but I couldn't help but wish that Arden had been cast in the title role. He and MJT look sort of similar, so it seems like a blatant snub to me. Who did Arden piss off (pun intended)? That kid undoubtedly would have garnered another Tony nom for the show.

by Anonymousreply 43205/03/2013

R430, the pics exist. I don't have them, but I saw them a LONG time ago. They're not really anything special.

by Anonymousreply 43305/03/2013

JEKYLL & HYDE to Close on May 12 on Broadway

by Anonymousreply 43405/03/2013

As mentioned, the pics are not spectacular. He tends toward chubbiness, and not down there.

by Anonymousreply 43505/03/2013

If Melissa Errico can make a comeback, is it too late for Debbie Shapiro?

by Anonymousreply 43605/03/2013

Bette will win the Tony in an unprecedented write-in blitz.

by Anonymousreply 43705/03/2013

I'd rather see Debbie Gravitte as Mame than McArdle, She's 58 and looks ten years younger.

by Anonymousreply 43805/03/2013

So the Tonys are honoring another non-union production this year. That cruise ship Hairspray thing didn't work out so well for them.

by Anonymousreply 43905/03/2013

For the really hardcore theater geeks - here are the Drama Critics Circle ballot info:

Some really interesting choices mixed in.

by Anonymousreply 44005/03/2013

R441 It's fixed!

by Anonymousreply 44105/03/2013

Doesn't look like Vanya should have won

by Anonymousreply 44205/03/2013

r435, as someone said on that other forum, I guess this wasn't the moment.

by Anonymousreply 44305/03/2013

Kyle Dean Massey is hot. Too bad the last part of the video is devoted to some unattractive kid...

by Anonymousreply 44405/03/2013

Jekyll and Hyde should've gotten a chance to finish it's run. It's an entertaining show and Deborah Cox is amazing! It's alot better than some of the other shows on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 44505/03/2013

poor r446. Take your crap to Broadwayworld please.

by Anonymousreply 44605/03/2013

MAGGIE FLYNN!

by Anonymousreply 44705/03/2013

Is Bette Midler going to host the Tony's?

by Anonymousreply 44805/03/2013

No ever posted a link to the nude Michael Arden pics.

Is it hard to come by to find the pics?

by Anonymousreply 44905/03/2013

I searched r450 but couldn't find anything. Were they candids or was he nude in a film?

by Anonymousreply 45005/03/2013

Why did someone as talented as Michael Arden ever become involved with that sleazeball who had a harassment lawsuit filed against him? This does not compute, but maybe it explains the Arden hate in some quarters.

by Anonymousreply 45105/04/2013

Who are those other tarts in the link at r1? What shows were they in?

by Anonymousreply 45305/04/2013

When was Michael Arden nominated for a Tony?

by Anonymousreply 45405/04/2013

How is Pippin gonna make money for the Weisslers in such a small theater?

by Anonymousreply 45505/04/2013

Everyone said they loved Bette on the Project Runway Reunion Special. This is going to ignite the write in campaign for the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 45605/04/2013

Is it true that LCT recently had to shut the men's bathroom at the Vivian Beaumont because too many gay men were meeting there to fuck?

by Anonymousreply 45705/04/2013

Neal Patrick Harris is confirmed to host the Tonys again this year, it just hasn't been "formally" announced yet.

by Anonymousreply 45805/04/2013

A Patina-less Pippin last night! Stephanie Pope (exactly how OLD is she?) went on with one hour's notice!

For Patina's sake, I hope those Tony voters decided to come back another night.

by Anonymousreply 45905/04/2013

I saw the Patina-less PIPPIN. Maybe it was her absence, but I didn't get what all the fuss was about. Andrea Martin aside, I thought it was so-so. And Stephanie Pope can't sing for shit. Great legs, though.

by Anonymousreply 46005/04/2013

Pope's singing in keys not right for her voice.

by Anonymousreply 46105/04/2013

HEY! Producers of Book of Mormon!

We got 990 seats, you got 1,066.

We'll make it work!

by Anonymousreply 46205/04/2013

Patina's playing it as Ben Vereen as Leading Player. Is Pope doing the same?

by Anonymousreply 46305/04/2013

According to Sirius XM, Patina gave them 20 minutes notice. Did Stephanie hang and swing from the trapeze too?

by Anonymousreply 46405/04/2013

Apparently, Pope didn't do the specialties. According to the whining Broadway performer-worshipers on Broadwayworld, we're supposed to give her a break on that because she's 49.

Uh, Andrea Martin is 66.

by Anonymousreply 46505/04/2013

More like give her a break because she hasn't even been rehearsed in that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 46605/04/2013

Sat in the first row -- Pippin was aglow!

by Anonymousreply 46705/04/2013

Of course, R467, that's the logical response.

by Anonymousreply 46805/04/2013

I find it hard to believe about the Men's Room at the Beaumont. There is NO privacy in there -- the stalls and the urinals are set up directly across from the sinks. And the security guards are obnoxious about refusing to let you use the restroom if there's no show going on. The bathroom is next to the box office but they will yell at you if you try to use it.

by Anonymousreply 46905/04/2013

Michael Arden used to be cute, but he's never had a good body - kind of doughy. And he's not a great actor.

I'd still love to see those nude pics, though.

by Anonymousreply 47005/04/2013

Speaking of Linda M, she went in for Vicky Clark the same night Patina Miller was out.

by Anonymousreply 47105/04/2013

R470 has that always been the case though?

I seem to remember a few years ago needing a bathroom during the day and being surprised that it was open in the middle of the day.

by Anonymousreply 47205/04/2013

Vivian Beaumont sucked my cock!

by Anonymousreply 47305/04/2013

Did anyone catch the Tony nom references in tonight's "Smash"? They mentioned "Pippin" and "Drood", and there was a bulletin board with pictures and names of potential nominees. I noticed Victoria Clark, but it went by too fast to see anything else.

by Anonymousreply 47405/05/2013

If Dan Stevens is a presenter at the Tonys I will vomit.

by Anonymousreply 47505/05/2013

Saw Karen tonight in the Lyrics and Lyricists tribute to Jerome Kern tribute. She danced and even tapped and sang quite a few numbers, but she just doesn't wow me the way she did way back then. And, she needs to do something with her hair.

by Anonymousreply 47605/05/2013

was she topless r477?

by Anonymousreply 47705/05/2013

She's 55 years old. Give her a break.

by Anonymousreply 47805/05/2013

That Lyrics and Lyricists thing didn't even have a real soprano in it, and it was KERN for heaven's sake.

by Anonymousreply 47905/05/2013

[quote]So the Tonys are honoring another non-union production this year. That cruise ship Hairspray thing didn't work out so well for them.

It's The Tony Awards, not The Equity Awards, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 48005/05/2013

it will be 2 hours of dead air space if Equity decided to boycott the Tony awards broadcast.

And if that line isn't a set up....

by Anonymousreply 48105/05/2013

I guess the temptation to have sex on Broadway is too much for them.

by Anonymousreply 48205/05/2013

Again, 481, the Tony Awards were set up to honor Broadway. There are a million other theatrical awards for off-Broadway and regional theater. They can give honorary awards all they want, but the merit awards (ha!) are about Broadway. Broadway performers and stage managers are members of Equity.

by Anonymousreply 48305/05/2013

[480]: Rebecca Luker was in the house last night at Lyrics. She should have done the whole show.

There were maybe 5 people there under the age of 82. I think they were disappointed that it was so jazz oriented.

by Anonymousreply 48405/05/2013

August: Oh say it's not true County

by Anonymousreply 48505/05/2013

R480, the current artistic director of Lyrics and Lyricists just hires her friends to perform. Apparently, she doesn't socialize with legit sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 48605/05/2013

dont worry Patina. missing a lot of shows in May wont hurt your Tony chances

by Anonymousreply 48705/05/2013

agree. the Tony's shouldn't have anything to do with non equity productions.

Whose fucked up idea was that?

by Anonymousreply 48805/05/2013

Michael Arden nude pics please please please.

by Anonymousreply 48905/05/2013

R475 I freezed it. They had Laura Osnes and Audra McDonald up for Tony's in lead, and Patina and Victoria Clark for featured.

by Anonymousreply 49005/05/2013

Can we please stop with the apostrophe in "Tonys"? This isn't Broadwayworld. I expect better from you queens.

by Anonymousreply 49105/05/2013

Anyone want to see my nudie pics?

by Anonymousreply 49205/05/2013

Yes please Michael!

by Anonymousreply 49305/05/2013

Only if they were artfully taken by Christian.

by Anonymousreply 49405/05/2013

[quote]Again, 481, the Tony Awards were set up to honor Broadway. There are a million other theatrical awards for off-Broadway and regional theater. They can give honorary awards all they want, but the merit awards (ha!) are about Broadway. Broadway performers and stage managers are members of Equity.

And every year for decades they have honored, and promoted theater outside of Broadway, like last year's cruise ship, which is where many young people get their first taste of theater or Regional Theaters all over the country. If you don't like it, start your own Equity Awards. SAG did it. This year's Academy Award Best Actress nominee Quvenzhane Wallis was not nominated for a SAG because the shoot was Non-Union.

by Anonymousreply 49505/05/2013

Lyrics and Lyricists hasn't been worth seeing overall since Maurice Levine and Berry Levitt left. They constantly paper the house. I don't know how it supports itself. DGW is a nice person, but she knows zero about music and no one does it except her "friends". Mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 49605/05/2013

Who cares about the Tony Awards? It means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 49705/05/2013

I care -it is an opportunity for me to host the show again and sing another specially written song by Mark Shaiman about gays on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 49805/05/2013

[quote]sing another specially written song by Mark Shaiman about gays on Broadway.

Don't we (still) have "Smash" for that?

by Anonymousreply 49905/05/2013

r486, it looks like the marketing campaign is "We know you won't want to see this so we just knocked something together using Publisher."

by Anonymousreply 50005/05/2013

Chita was also up for Featured/Supp on Smash. Audra was up for lead. The props people made a big mistake though. They listed Karen as being up for Hit List even though Eileen says that Hit List isn't going to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 50105/05/2013

Didn't you watch all of the show? Eileen's ex is taking Hit List to Broadway... Why, who knows?

by Anonymousreply 50205/05/2013

I'm WAAAY Off-Broadway now, won't somebody give a special award to ME!? I was't on that Hairspray cruise ship, but I acted as if I worked on one in "Sail Away".

by Anonymousreply 50305/05/2013

Well, the LORTEL AWARDS happened tonight.

Play: The Whale

Musical: Dogfight

Revival: The Piano Lesson

by Anonymousreply 50405/05/2013

Equity isn't going to boycott the Tonys. Lets be real here. They wrote their letter, appeased the people who are angry (look we're DOING something) and everyone will move on and be happy.

If Equity really mattered anymore they'd have insisted on equity tours, but they didn't. It's all rather silly lately.

by Anonymousreply 50505/05/2013

Don't you love how they keep telling us to love Pesach and Poled, when their music is kitten-on-the-keys bad (the weakest element of A CHRISTMAS STORY- saved by the orchestrations) and DOGFIGHT got mediocre reviews and closed quickly?

by Anonymousreply 50605/05/2013

R495, they were artfully taken in a dorm room at Julliard.

by Anonymousreply 50705/06/2013

STICKFLY!

by Anonymousreply 50805/06/2013

R507 = taste-free idiot.

by Anonymousreply 50905/06/2013

Hey R510, "Inaccurate idiot" would also have worked as a description of r507, but I think I like yours better.

by Anonymousreply 51005/06/2013

[R510]: If you like their swill, you're the taste-free one, m'dear.

by Anonymousreply 51105/06/2013

R511: inaccurate, how? Did it get good reviews? No. Is it still running? No.

by Anonymousreply 51205/06/2013

R503/bette Midler- yes, I watched the whole show. And when we looked at the potential nominee board, Hit List was NOT going to Broadway and Eileen said so. So why was Karen on the board? The props people messed up. They were jumping the gun.

by Anonymousreply 51305/06/2013

I love the score to A CHRISTMAS STORY. Love love love it. Didn't see DOGFIGHT. Rumors it's headed to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 51405/06/2013

r507, every word of your post is insightful and true. And "kitten-on-the-keys bad" is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 51505/06/2013

Dogfight will not last a week on Broadway unless there are huge stars in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 51605/06/2013

A Christmas Story sounds like an Adler and Ross musical to me with You'll Shoot Your Eye Out as Steam Heat or Hernando's Hideaway and that little tap dancer as Carol Haney!

It's not Sondheim or LaChiusa, but I found it tuneful and charming and funny. Abbott would have cut the first mother song, but other than that I loved it.

If I was giving kids special Tonys, I would have given one to the cast (and casting) of A Christmas Story before Matilda.

by Anonymousreply 51705/06/2013

AEA website has an audition announcement for the workshop of the latest movie to become a musical: BULL DURHAM.

by Anonymousreply 51805/06/2013

I saw Dogfight. It was OK. It wouldn't last on Broadway unless it had some stars. The day I saw it at 2ST there were rows of empty seats. I think it'd be foolish to try on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 51905/06/2013

So um the press agent for Rebecca was anonymously emailing the finances and telling them not to fund the show? Isn't that like career suicide for him?

by Anonymousreply 52005/06/2013

the nude pics were circulating back when he was on Broadway. He has now been replaced by Jeremy Jordan, Aaron Tveit, Bobby Steggart etc etc. Michael Arden had this young boy face that hasn't aged well. He tried to go to Hollywood and didn't make it. Now he is stuck in awkward no-man's land - both Broadway and Film/TV have rejected him. It is sad.. he'll probably show up on a webseries or something. When you can't get cast on Broadway or in LA, you create a web series for Bway fan tweens that still care.

by Anonymousreply 52105/06/2013

R522- you are wrong. Michael Ardem is a series regular on Charlie Sheen's show "Anger Management" which has been picked up by FX for 100 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 52205/06/2013

Michael Arden works all the time in LA, including a regular role on the upcoming new Anger Management.

by Anonymousreply 52305/06/2013

r522

Did you play a famous character in a fantasy franchise?

by Anonymousreply 52405/06/2013

Wonderin' if Jane Lynch wants to lynch her agents for getting her into "Annie" which is dropping like crazy in it's grosses and has little advance. Are the producers even promoting her? Word of mouth must have finally caught up with this crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 52505/06/2013

Can someone PLEASE post the nude pics of Michael Arden? pretty please? I think he's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 52605/06/2013

Break a Leg this week Karen Z and Christine B!

You're each delightful and incredibly talented!! The lights on B'way (well a bit uptown) will be brighter with you two troupers singing and dancing this week in OYT!!!

I squeal with anticipation of seeing you trod the boards for us!!!!

** s w o o n **

by Anonymousreply 52705/06/2013

For Gods Sake, somebody please post these lousy pix, so everyone can then start ranting about his tinymeat and pudgy pecs and we can get a new non Michael Arden post going. Maybe it will focus on ME.

by Anonymousreply 52805/06/2013

I squeal with anticipation of seeing Shonn Wiley backstage in his tighty-whities.

by Anonymousreply 52905/06/2013

ORPHANS to close a month early.

by Anonymousreply 53005/06/2013

Are they paying Shia? or is Alec getting a ridiculous salary? It is only a 3 character play after all. Note to future producers- Alec's name means shit on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 53105/06/2013

Yes, please, get ready for new thread! And maybe link Michael Arden pix to finish this tired act off!

by Anonymousreply 53205/06/2013

It's almost June, bitches. Time for y'all to start thinking about huggin' my bejeepas!

by Anonymousreply 53305/06/2013

Would have loved to have Leslie Uggams do her special take in that boring PBS production of Carousel a couple of weeks ago. It would have woken everyone up.

by Anonymousreply 53405/06/2013

I wonder if Michael Arden might be on a TV series? Like Anger Management? The Charlie Sheen series?

by Anonymousreply 53505/06/2013

love you r534

by Anonymousreply 53605/06/2013

Why wouldn't Orphans be paying Shia a run of the contract star salary? They fired him, didn't they?

So, between Shia's salary and Alec's astronomical salary, they couldn't possibly be profitable without selling out every week.

by Anonymousreply 53705/06/2013

I think I've seen the Arden pics. They're cum shots from him masturbating. I don't know where they are now. Buried in an old computer somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 53805/06/2013

Well, FIND THAT COMPUTER! Post haste! i really really really want to see Arden naked.

by Anonymousreply 53905/06/2013

Testament of Mary closing after grossing 300K last week how much does a one person show have to gross to run in this town

by Anonymousreply 54005/06/2013

It sucks that everything has to be a MEGA hit or close a month early. Maybe it was ever so, but it's depressing.

by Anonymousreply 54105/07/2013

I hate seeing productions close early; too many unemployed actors.

That being said, no more play and no more tv series for Alec Baldwin is good news; the more unemployed Alec Baldwin becomes the better life will be for all. I cannot stand seeing him EVERYWHERE on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 54205/07/2013

Didn't Baldwin post that he was 'retiring from acting' a while back?

by Anonymousreply 54305/07/2013

Alec's new wife is due in July so he's gotta keep making money somehow.

by Anonymousreply 54405/07/2013

r545

Is she coming from Russia? Or The Phillipines?

by Anonymousreply 54505/07/2013

the reason something like Orphans tanks-is that there was basically no reason for the production--its not a play that was screaming for a Broadway production--or had a directorial perspective that was going to reexamine the material in a new way--or a star that genuinely made it an event.

Its the further summer tock-ization of Bway--you cant just pick a title-plop a"Name" in it and produce something for the sake of producing it and think thats a recipe for success. On the other hand--if you cant run a 3 character play for what, 12 weeks, with Alec Baldwin--why produce commercially anymore (plays, at least)

by Anonymousreply 54605/07/2013

Alec's role in Orphans was a big misfit. For someone who doesn't often do theater, I can't imagine what made him want to play it. The 2 boys' roles are the star parts.

And the play doesn't belong on a Broadway stage which is too formal and distancing as a setting for the action.

by Anonymousreply 54705/07/2013

Testament grossed 300K last week because they posted the notice that Tuesday and it was people's last chance to see it. If the notice wasn't put up, the gross would have been 150K. No one cared.

by Anonymousreply 54805/07/2013

I bet Baldwin's role, in the right hands, could be as meaty as the two others. I think he was out to prove himself as a capital A actor. And he failed.

ORPHANS is one of those uber-actory-actor shows, and the sad truth is that Baldwin doesn't know how to dig down deep enough. It isn't in his tool-kit. Not no more. He gave it his all, but his all is pretty limited and shallow.

by Anonymousreply 54905/07/2013

New, much younger wife and new baby? Yawn. Sorry Alec - you just got played.

by Anonymousreply 55005/07/2013

I walked out of Orphans because it was so bad. Main problem is that the play itself is terrible. I thought all the actors were bad but especially Baldwin who seemed to be miscast.

by Anonymousreply 55105/07/2013

I saw the great Albert Finney do Orphans and it was still a small, not terribly good, play. You can't blame Baldwin for that.

by Anonymousreply 55205/07/2013

I'm shocked that no one wants to drop $140 to see Alec Baldwin or Fiona Shaw depress the shit out of you. Maybe $70, but $140?

by Anonymousreply 55305/07/2013

Fiona Shaw is NO Cherry Jones

by Anonymousreply 55405/07/2013

r552 is right. Bad play, and Baldwin, the day I saw it, seemed totally uninterested in being there.

And my "discount" orchestra seat was $99...WHAT??!

by Anonymousreply 55505/07/2013

Who produced that horrific commercial for Annie? A bald guy dancing with a red headed little girl? Very unexciting If you're gonna sell a musical- it's gotta be splashy. Meanwhile Matilda is running their splashy commercial every minute on TV. They must have major advertising bucks. What will the Big Fish commercial look like?

by Anonymousreply 55605/07/2013

Alec Baldwin tears Ben Brantley a new one on HuffPost and calls for his firing.

Alec, I agree with your opinion on Brantley, but it wasn't his fault the shitty Orphans is closing.

by Anonymousreply 55705/07/2013

p.s. He and the proofreaders need to learn how to spell "Shubert."

by Anonymousreply 55805/07/2013

[bold] Megan Hilty, Aaron Lazar Star in Pre-B’way ‘Can-Can’ Reading [/bold]

Megan Hilty and Aaron Lazar have been tapped to star in a staged reading this summer of “Can-Can,” the Cole Porter tuner gearing up for a Broadway revival helmed by TV vet David Lee.

A thesp’s participation in a reading doesn’t guarantee his or her involvement in the final production, but it can always offer insight into casting possibilities. Hilty is a Broadway vet (“9 to 5,” “Wicked”) who became a TV face on NBC skein “Smash,” while Lazar’s Rialto credits include “A Little Night Music,” “Les Miserables” and “Mamma Mia!”

In the reading, Hilty will play the owner of a Belle Epoque dance hall where the scandalous dance of the title is performed, attracting the attention of a conservative judge (Lazar).

Lee (“Frasier,” “Cheers”) also co-pens a revised book for the 1953 musical, teaming with another tube veteran, Joel Fields (“The Americans,” “Rizzoli and Isles”). Rialto production of “Can-Can,” with choreography by Patti Colombo and music direction from Steve Orich, follows in the footsteps of Lee’s 2007 rejiggering of “Can-Can” at the Pasadena Playhouse in 2007.

Jonathan Burrows, nephew of the musical’s original book writer Abe Burrows, produces the revival, which aims for a Broadway berth in spring 2014. Industry-only staged reading is set for July 15-17 in Gotham.

by Anonymousreply 55905/07/2013

R558 - I find myself agreeing with everything he says about Brantley, who is there longer than Frank Rich and he needs to be dumped immediately.

by Anonymousreply 56005/07/2013

Brantley's the high school book report version of a theater critic.

by Anonymousreply 56105/07/2013

THE BLACK CROOK!

by Anonymousreply 56205/07/2013

Yup

by Anonymousreply 56305/07/2013

Ok, but if your main argument that Brantley is wrong is that there has been a standing ovation every night, then you're not making much of a case there.

by Anonymousreply 56405/07/2013

Broadway's Sweetheart Karen Ziemba is ON.. HER.. TOES!!

Short rehearsal dance and interview with our special gal in this Encores! video Karen's piece begins at 6.23. Video runs 26 minutes total and includes interviews with others working on the production ON YOUR TOES.

by Anonymousreply 56505/07/2013

That teaser poster for AOC is ridiculous. It looks like a fan-made poster - is it real?

by Anonymousreply 56605/07/2013

Can the Karen Ziemba troll and the Michael Arden troll please run off together?

Someone discuss JUNO!

by Anonymousreply 56705/07/2013

Who has bigger tits - Karen Z or Michael A?

by Anonymousreply 56805/07/2013

Now that's just rude!

by Anonymousreply 56905/07/2013

I love JUNO! I have a video bootleg from the Encores! production and the cast recording with Shirley Booth. Heartbreaking score. Just my opinion. Not a Victoria (I refuse to call her Vicki .. I don't know her) Clark fan vut she was excellent in the CC production. By the way, R568, you did know that Michael Arden was in the Encores! production, yes?

by Anonymousreply 57005/07/2013

Oh, I can't just imagine the Oirishness.

by Anonymousreply 57105/07/2013

Maybe they'll do a new JUNO based on the Ellen Page movie!

by Anonymousreply 57205/07/2013

Karen Ziemba is a NATIONAL TREASURE and a QUADRUPLE THREAT!

She is not to be trifled with!

by Anonymousreply 57305/07/2013

Speaking of Karen Z -

oh...so THAT's what this song sounds like sung by someone with pitch and key!

by Anonymousreply 57405/07/2013

What's AOC?

by Anonymousreply 57505/07/2013

"Heartbreaking score."

Not really. Other than WE'RE ALIVE and I WISH IT SO, the rest of the score doesn't quite cut it, although BIRD UPON A TREE comes close. Too bad the excellent dance music in Act Two has never been recorded.

by Anonymousreply 57605/07/2013

Baldwin's rage against the Times is a little silly. There's no guarantee anymore that had the Times raved about his not well reviewed show that it would have run any longer. And they've panned a ton of shows that will run forever. A Times review only means something to handful of people who are not enough to sustain a Broadway show for more than a couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 57705/07/2013

Surely, R578, you're not suggesting that Baldwin was having a hissy fit without really thinking it through. He's such a thoughtful lamb.

by Anonymousreply 57805/07/2013

KZ's boobies look just fine in that clip, which was nearly 10 years after the Playboy pic.

by Anonymousreply 57905/07/2013

Michael Arden's nude pix also feature Kathleen Chalfants girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 58005/07/2013

AOC = August: Osage County by Tracy Letts

The film is staring La Streep and Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 58105/07/2013

Kathleen Chalfant masturbating in "Kinsey" with her saggy boobies flopping around scarred me for life.

by Anonymousreply 58205/07/2013

ORPHANS is a piece of shit, Baldwin's a homophobic,nasty piece of shit, and the producers were charging a small fortune for a lot of shit. Could that be why they're closing early?

Maybe this will stop the next producer from putting Baldwin in anything again. Because he's sure not going to get a break from Brantley in the near future.

Baldwin- What a narcissistic twat!

by Anonymousreply 58305/07/2013

[quote]Baldwin's a homophobic

What did he do/say?

by Anonymousreply 58405/07/2013

Ziemba with a "Z" was fantastic in the Jerome Kern concert at the 92nd street Y this weekend, singing "Can't Help Singing" (shout-out to Deanna Durbin!), "Can't Help Lovin' dat Man" and dancin' and duet'n with Jeffry Denman on "Pick Yourself Up" and "Long Ago and Far Away", radiating charm and warmth. Denman was exceptionally good, much better and in much better voice than his BROADWAY BY THE YEAR gigs. The big dissapointment was Howard McGillin, whose voice was thin and mannered.

by Anonymousreply 58505/07/2013

Call for places. Call for places OP of Theatre Gossip #111.

We're going in 15...

by Anonymousreply 58605/08/2013

[quote] The big dissapointment was Howard McGillin, whose voice was thin and mannered.

Where have you been? His voice has ALWAYS been thin and mannered!

by Anonymousreply 58705/08/2013

r588: I had never heard him sing before! But I kept hearing for years what a great singer he was!

He was Michael Crawford Painful.

by Anonymousreply 58805/08/2013

OH MY GOSH! I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THIS!!!

I was sorry to see that the average age of the Y audience was 75. I felt like a yungun' and I am in my mid-50s.

Others in the cast were Barbara Carroll (wonderful!) Karrin Allyson (OKay), Paula West (excellent and so smooth) and Debbie Boone (she was pretty good, but lacked that ZZZZiemba ZING!)

After the show, Karen and the gang greeted and chatted everyone at the stage door. She was just a delight and...

SHE LOVES HER FANS ON DATALOUNGE!!! She told me she gets a big kick from the love she gets here, and loves the "guy that pretends to be me" but added "But some of you guys are so mean!"

LUV U KAREN!!

by Anonymousreply 58905/08/2013

Just read the Vanity Fair piece on REBECCA. After reading that, I hope Marc Thibodeau goes to prison. And my guess is if he was colluding with anyone, it was probably the Shuberts. They just wanted that mess out of the Broadhurst, and everyone knew it.

by Anonymousreply 59005/08/2013

Would Shia have sold tickets? Without any transformers?

by Anonymousreply 59105/08/2013

[quote]SHE LOVES HER FANS ON DATALOUNGE!!! She told me she gets a big kick from the love she gets here, and loves the "guy that pretends to be me"

She has my heart xoxoxo What a classy lady.. Thanks R590

You kinda made my day!!

by Anonymousreply 59205/08/2013

After that Vanity Fair article, I'd imagine Marc Thibodeau's career is over, right? Shame, he's sorta hot.

by Anonymousreply 59305/08/2013

Marc was Cameron's "it" boy during the 80s. The whole Wasser office (except for the Allens) was stocked with cute boys who could make Cameron smile when he payed his semi-annual visits. He was more charming and hot than competent. He hasn't really had much of a career since then. Boneau and Hartman are really the top ones now. The fact that Marc took Rebecca says something in itself. Everyone knew it would be a loser.

by Anonymousreply 59405/08/2013

[quote]Would Shia have sold tickets? Without any transformers?

I'd have gone to see him....plus he'd have generated publicity.

by Anonymousreply 59505/08/2013

Thoughts on Kinky Boots?

by Anonymousreply 59605/08/2013

Kathleen Chalfant was spotted having an 'intimate' dinner with Kate Mulgrew

Why are those two ladies together?

by Anonymousreply 59705/08/2013

so what's the real story with melissa errico missing th PASSION recording?

by Anonymousreply 59805/08/2013

Howard McGillin was terrific - not thin-voiced or mannered - in the LC Anything Goes, Kiss of the Spider Woman, and the original Drood (okay, he was mannered in Drood, but it's written that way). And he was a good devil in Damn Yankees across the river.

But he's sixty in a few months, and time is not being kind to him or his voice.

by Anonymousreply 59905/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.