Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eggs! Any interesting recipes concerning the hard boiled kind?

I like to eat an egg or two a day, usually for breakfast but sometimes for lunch--they fill me up, they're tasty, they're a great source of protein and they're very portable. I usually eat them sliced in a pita or just plain with salt and pepper. Would be grateful for interesting variations.

Yes, I'm happy I spent $18 to ask questions like this. And my cholesterol is fine, I don't care much about that, sugar is the real killer.

by Anonymousreply 6405/28/2013

Do you wear Lee Press On Nails?

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2013

Look up bibimbap and croque madame

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2013

Step 1: I sit in a chair with my raincoat on.

Step 2: I have my hands tied behind me.

Step 3: You go to the other end of the hall and get down on your hands and knees, wearing a smock.

Step 4: You take some hard boiled eggs

Step 5: You roll them at me

Step 6: I yell "Bombs Away" while you do Step 5

Step 7: Repeat 5 and 6

by Anonymousreply 304/26/2013

It's "bombs away!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 404/26/2013

Eggs help raise good cholesterol so boil and eat as many as you want.

BTW I like mine poached on sour dough with avocado, spinach and mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 504/26/2013

You need to get in touch with Edith Massey, the Egg Lady.

by Anonymousreply 604/26/2013

Sorry OP I did not see the hard boiled part.

Mix hard boiled eggs with capers, dill, mayo and sour cream for a nice egg salad.

Or try a salad nicoise.

by Anonymousreply 704/26/2013

[quote]salad nicoise

That's saladE.

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2013

OP, maybe the guy that makes potato salad with 1:1 potato to egg ratio will chime in.

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2013

WHOLE hard-boiled eggs should be used in potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2013

Make sure you know how to ensure the yolk remains yellow and does not turn green when cooking. I never add the egg to the potato salad. I keep eggs separate adding to the top of the salad when served. Otherwise the salad gets the egg smell if you keep for several days. I like creamed eggs. Make a well seasoned white sauce and dice the hard boiled eggs into the finished sauce. Serve over toast, rice, anything.

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2013

Oh Babs where is the egg man?

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2013

I like them sliced in pita with red onions, a little lettuce, tomato, and tzatziki. I go easy on or leave the mint out entirely in the linked recipe.

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

great one from the Two Fat Ladies - hard boiled eggs in curry sauce.

by Anonymousreply 1404/26/2013

Senior Beezelbub Devilled Huevos.

by Anonymousreply 1504/26/2013

There aren't really that many variations on hard boiling an egg, but here's one.

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2013

hard boiled eggs the right way (no grey ring)

put eggs in pot cover with water bring to a light boil Remove from heat and cover Let sit 13 minutes.

perfect.

using older eggs makes them easier to peel

by Anonymousreply 1704/26/2013

[R17] Adding that plunging in ice water helps peeling. Regarding the grey/green yolk, you also need to bring them to room temperature to be certain you succeed.

by Anonymousreply 1804/26/2013

I still have 3 dozen leftover hardboiled eggs from Easter. I need some new recipes, I don't think these will keep much longer.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

R27, leaving them in the covered pot only 10 minutes works too, & the yolk is less dry (but still cooked through).

Whichever time you use, I do think it's important to cool them immediately under cold running water, to stop any further cooking (& make them easier to peel).

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

I always use the timer in the picture so I get the perfect boiled egg.

Boiled eggs are my go-to lunch at work. I keep a dozen already boiled in our fridge and eat two at a time with a wedge of spreadable laughing cow or similar cheese on pita.

by Anonymousreply 2204/26/2013

Try the Queen Mother's favorite, Eggs Drumkilbo. Served for decades on the royal family's table and at Wills and Kate's wedding luncheon.

Divoon!

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

Seriously [R19]? You might rethink eating them

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

Serenata de Bacalao

(Salt Codfish Serenade)

But it doesn't have to be as complicated as the recipe.

I prefer the hard boiled eggs sliced (my mom just cuts them in half) rather than chopped to bits. It's better tasting for those of us who actually love eggs.

Also, the avocados and tomatoes are optional, I do string beans instead.

The root plants, plantains and breadfruits they list are options. The serenade can be eaten without potatoes and any of the aforementioned starches. Just codfish, eggs, onions and string beans with lots of olive oil. If you must throw it on a bed of starch and have access to an urban (supermarket) that has what I call a "Goya aisle" then they're very likely to have these tropical root fruits. My favorites are yuca, yautia and ñame (first letter is that N with a squiggle on top, in case DL doesn't take it).

Finally, I boil my codfish to further remove salty taste, and refrigerate the prepared dish - to be served alone or on a bed of starches

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

good one, r25. My mom made this all the time and I grew tired of it, but now have a craving.

by Anonymousreply 2604/26/2013

Another simple boiled egg recipe from my Mom -

Eggs Beijamille (Sort of phonetic French - neither of us have a clue how to properly spell the dish name):

Lots of boiled eggs

Butter

Flour

Milk

Salt

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

Mozzarella Cheese, grated

(All measured by by eye, to taste)

Hard boil and peel eggs; cut in half through long side (as you would with deviled eggs), and line up in a glass baking pan, yolk side up.

In a sautee or deep pan, melt butter slowly, add flour slowly, then add milk slowly to form a cream colored sauce with the consistency of thin/runny gravy. Add garlic powder, onion powder and salt to taste. Pour hot over arranged eggs. Sprinkle grated mozzarella to taste and bake until cheese melts.

Makes a delicious appetizer

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

In case this helps and if you live by a Dollartree, they sell those little plastic things into which you can pour an egg, boil it, and not have to bother with the shells. You get six for a buck. They really work, too.

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

r22 does the egg timer turn different colors for the different consistencies? (Looks like a great secondary gift or stocking stuffer!)

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2013

The bright red part shrinks telling you how done the eggs are -- see the pic attached. It's really perfect and I haven't had to suffer through green/grey yolks since I got it (I'm a horrible cook).

by Anonymousreply 3004/26/2013

[quote]60's lounge music

by Anonymousreply 3104/26/2013

You can avoid egg shells in your eggs by cracking on a FLAT surface, rather than on the edge of something.

by Anonymousreply 3204/26/2013

R22i have one of those and love it.

Another fail proof tip. After putting the eggs in water pour table salt over each egg (be generous). Guaranteed easy peel eggs every time.

by Anonymousreply 3304/26/2013

R14 -- I add curry powder (and chutney if I have any around) to my egg salad.

by Anonymousreply 3404/26/2013

I add Ajax to mine - turns a lovely blue color when wet!

by Anonymousreply 3504/26/2013

Gado Gado - wonderful spicy crunchy Indonesian salad - blanched cabbage, boiled eggs, bean sprouts, boiled potatoes and carrots, tomatoes, fried beancurd, all tossed in sweet spicy creamy peanut sauce and sprinkled with crispy shallots. Yummy!

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2013

Try this egg curry with coconut milk, OP. Sweet, not too spicy - and it can be served as an entree with rice.

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2013

Thanks so much for so many great suggestions. I can't wait to try them.

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2013

PS: Preparing a salade nicoise as I write. Appreciate it, R7.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

My mom used to make creamed tuna and hard boiled eggs on toast or biscuits. She would make a simple Béchamel sauce and add a couple of cans of tuna and a half dozen hard boiled eggs. A bit of pimento and a few peas, too, if she had them on hand. Good, quick pantry dish.

by Anonymousreply 4104/26/2013

It rubs the egg yolk on its skin!

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

Hardboiled, plain with salt.

Omelette with leftovers from the fridge.

Over-easy over kimchi and rice.

Poached with ham and runny yolks.

SOO many ways...

by Anonymousreply 4305/08/2013

I LOVE EGGS!

by Anonymousreply 4405/08/2013

R44 see R6

by Anonymousreply 4505/08/2013

My job was to gather the eggs. Grandma told me to not take any guff off them old laying hens. If they won't come off the nest so you can gather the eggs, grab them by the neck and pull them off.

Then I ran the egg washer and boxed the eggs in cardboard containers. I think they probably held 12 dozen or a gross of eggs.

The egg washer was in the basement of the house. The basement was unfinished, dark and unpleasant. Not a place to spend that much time alone washing and boxing eggs.

by Anonymousreply 4605/08/2013

Eggs give me Egg Smelling Farts

by Anonymousreply 4705/24/2013

No but I can think of some uses for them.

by Anonymousreply 4805/24/2013

Eggies!

by Anonymousreply 4905/24/2013

Most people say my deviled eggs are the best they have ever had.

use a food processor. Boil eggs, peel them and refrigerate overnight to firm them. I have a couple covered egg containers by Rubbermaid. Cut the eggs in half and pop the yolks in the food processer bowl. Put the egg white halves in a fresh container, the old one will have a good deal of water in it that has evaporated from the eggs overnight which is why you should always devil them after a night in the fridge. If the egg white is damaged, throw it in the work bowl with the yolks as you want the eggs to be overstuffed. I usually do 1 1/2 dozen eggs. Add Hellman's or Duke's mayo, the cheap screaming yellow mustard, some onion powder, a couple tablespoons of pickle relish, some black pepper, some salt and a tablespoon of sugar and tablespoon of vinegar, a 3/4 teaspoon of horseradish and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder. Add 1/4 cup of plain dry breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs will firm the filling making them easier to serve. Process the mixture until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings, sugar, vinegar, etc. Pack into a plastic bag, twist the top shut and nip off a corner and pipe the egg halves quite full, bouncing the bag slightly to give an attractive profile to the filling. (Easier than a pastry bag as you just discard it rather than wash it) Sprinkle with herbs such as snipped parsley, dill weed, etc. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow filling to set and flavors to blend.

If you have been careful with kitchen hygiene, these will generally keep for up to a week in the fridge and provide a great dieter's snack. The right amount of acidity from the vinegar and mustards make them less likely to spoil. But I always wipe down my work area before with bleach and wash the food processor bowl and containers in the dishwasher prior to use.

by Anonymousreply 5005/24/2013

You lost me with the pickle relish I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 5105/24/2013

You know how I like them, Babs, you know how I like them!

by Anonymousreply 5205/24/2013

I can only eat deviled eggs with a lot of yellow mustard and pickle relish. I did have some boiled eggs sliced with some sort of pepper jelly on top, on top of a little flat bread thingy. Very tasty.

by Anonymousreply 5305/24/2013

I like to slice a boiled egg and add it to a cup of tomato soup.

by Anonymousreply 5405/24/2013

You're terrible, R54.

by Anonymousreply 5505/24/2013

You don't taste the pickle relish specifically [r51]... usually such comments are meant to be pretentious/bitchy, so substitute "chutney" for the pickle relish, is that upscale enough? I know my audience, which is why I pointed out the bright yellow mustard is the cheap kind.

by Anonymousreply 5605/24/2013

[quote]And my cholesterol is fine, I don't care much about that, sugar is the real killer.

So much for sharing my sugared-egg recipe.

by Anonymousreply 5705/24/2013

Sugar stimulates tumor growth factor and thus cancer. After you give up sugar and go through the withdrawals, you have so much energy. I think the whole cholesterol is bad thing is bullshit--why do Atkins and paleo dieters experience a drastic decrease in lipid levels while eating so much animal based and fatty foods?

R50, I will be trying your deviled eggs this weekend. They sound fantastic. R54, your post is very interesting. I might try this with a poached egg.

by Anonymousreply 5805/24/2013

R56 -- I put chutney and curry powder in my egg salad. However, I don't like cheap yellow mustard, more a Grey Poupon kinda guy, although for sandwiches I use hot-and-sweet.

Boiled egg in tomato soup is just FAR too ... reproductive sounding to me. I'm queasy thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 5905/24/2013

Deeeelsh chilled dead people day egg salada.

by Anonymousreply 6005/27/2013

I make deviled eggs with mayo, a bit of dill, yellow mustard, and sour cream, and chopped cooked shrimp. Smoked paprika sprinkled on the top.

by Anonymousreply 6105/27/2013

[quote]Sugar stimulates tumor growth factor and thus cancer.

What a load of crap.

by Anonymousreply 6205/27/2013

Hard boiled egg dip. Simplicity itself. Coarsely chop the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add chopped chives, nutmeg, cumin powder, mild curry powder, dried thyme, tarragon and basil. Salt, cracked black pepper, dash of tabasco and enough mayonnaise to bind to a dipping texture. Use a hand blender and blend until creamy smooth. Serve with your faborite chips or with zucchini, carrot and celery sticks. You'll end up licking the bowl. That's how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 6305/27/2013

That sounds like a great healthy meal and super quick to keep in the fridge.... raw veggies and egg dip. I am making that this week R-63.

by Anonymousreply 6405/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.