Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The dance teacher who lost a foot....

I'm sorry.....but....isn't she just a little too optimistic and forgiving? It almost seems like she is happy about the whole thing.

Is that just the media attention thing? I mean it's ok to gripe and complain a bit no? You lost a foot!

(Sorry but where else except DL can you discuss such stuff)

by ashamed but curious reply 2004/26/2013

I don't know, I think it just hasn't really hit her yet. When everything dies down it will probably sink in. I also think she truly sees herself as fortunate given that many people lost either an entire leg or both legs.

by ashamed but curious reply 104/26/2013

I get the feeling this woman has a potential Lisa Beamer thing about her.

by ashamed but curious reply 204/26/2013

true r1....good point. I guess having been around all that blood shed she realizes it could be worse.

by ashamed but curious reply 304/26/2013

Oh, honey. She's just in the first stage of grief: Denial. All the bombing victims are. Next stage is anger, and it won't be pretty for this group.

by ashamed but curious reply 404/26/2013

I'm a little bit of love with her.

She has managed to keep a good perspective on things even when it's hard to do so.

But the bonus is, the couple of times I've heard her interviewed (Anderson Cooper earlier this week and Barbara Walters on The View today), she never talked about God. Nothing about how it's all in His/Her hands or anything like that. That's how the Pollyannas of the world usually respond when they are explaining how they keep a positive spin on bad events, but she gets it from some place else.

Or else I've just missed when she spouted off about her religion.

by ashamed but curious reply 504/26/2013

OP, you just need to walk a mile in her shoes in order to understand her. But of course you'll have to remove the foot before you do it.

by ashamed but curious reply 604/26/2013

A lot of this sort of thing tends to be ingrained in a persons' character. There have been studies that show that typically with amputations or paralysis, by about a year into the recovery people will pretty much have the same level of optimism or pessimism that they had before the injury. The major exception is if there is chronic pain associated with the injury.

by ashamed but curious reply 704/26/2013

She will still be able to teach.

by ashamed but curious reply 804/26/2013

A dancer dances!

by ashamed but curious reply 904/26/2013

lol R 9

by ashamed but curious reply 1004/26/2013

I'd tap that.

by ashamed but curious reply 1104/26/2013

I guess Ol' Girl is supposed to be on Dancing With The Stars next week.

I'm imaging it will be an appearance via Skype (or some pre-taped thing?) because I don't think she's going to be checked out of the hospital by then.

by ashamed but curious reply 1204/26/2013

Totally agree, OP. She's enjoying the media attention a little too much.

by ashamed but curious reply 1304/26/2013

"I'm sorry but...."

Who talks like that? Usually people who are just trying to excuse their own attitude. What would you do OP? Milk the moment for every chance you got to scream and whine how your life had been ruined?

Of course she has regret and probably a lot of anger. But she knows it would be offensive to give you the bitterness you apparently want from her when a kid died and will never have a chance to grow up.

One of the dead had her entire torso blown off. People were seriously hurt.

She has perspective. Learn from her.

by ashamed but curious reply 1404/26/2013

Check back in six months, one year, two years when the spotlight is gone and see how they've adjusted or not.

See how they cope with daily life, getting dressed in the morning. See if they've been able to carry on relationships. Do they date? Are they happy? Are they depressed? Are they working? Did they miss out on a job because they're now disabled?

If I had my legs blown away, then kill me dead because I don't want to live like that. Perhaps the survival instinct would kick in and I would want to live. I don't know, the way I feel now, I wouldn't want to go on.

by ashamed but curious reply 1504/26/2013

She's very optimistic, but she did say several times that she is angry that someone could hurt her and others the way they did.

by ashamed but curious reply 1604/26/2013

She's going to fucking lose it a some point. There are no real life Pollyannas.

by ashamed but curious reply 1704/26/2013

r17:

by ashamed but curious reply 1804/26/2013

[quote]If I had my legs blown away, then kill me dead because I don't want to live like that. Perhaps the survival instinct would kick in and I would want to live. I don't know, the way I feel now, I wouldn't want to go on.

I feel that way about going blind, but just losing your legs? Who cares? Just get a scooter!

by ashamed but curious reply 1904/26/2013

Eileen

by ashamed but curious reply 2004/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.