Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone here REALLY met their significant other on an Internet dating site, like OK Cupid, or ?

I've given up. Hook- ups, yes, but a real man of quality, I've yet to find

by Single foreverreply 3104/28/2013

Yes, 12 years ago, still together.

by Single foreverreply 104/25/2013

I really tried. Ultimately, used their restraining order rights.

by Single foreverreply 204/25/2013

Met my current partner looking for a hookup through in 2002.

by Single foreverreply 304/25/2013

Being that I am a reclusive misanthrope, the thought of a visiting dating site is carries the same odds as my phoning my mother. But, I met a guy in an internet chess room, our personalities clicked, and we were phone buddies for a year(until last month). So I can definitely see that it could work out.

by Single foreverreply 404/25/2013

[R4] swf ...what happened last month?

by Single foreverreply 504/25/2013

He finally put his foot down and insisted that we meet IRL. He was incredibly patient, encouraging and kindest man I've ever "known", but when I say I am a recluse, I genuinely mean it.

by Single foreverreply 604/25/2013

Nope. Not me. I tried. It just didn't work for me.

by Single foreverreply 704/26/2013

Yes 10 years ago we met on yahoo singles. I was single after a 15 year relationship and other than 2 fix-ups (both bad) I dated a few men for about a year from this site - all really nice - and then I met my real sweetheart and we were married and have lived together for the last 6 years. good luck.

by Single foreverreply 804/26/2013

Yes. Unfortunately we'd already been living together for 5 years by then.

by Single foreverreply 904/26/2013

I'm finding it a complete waste of time. Everyone's so fuckin scared to even meet . Damn , it's coffee, or a drink - not a lifetime commitment.

by Single foreverreply 1004/28/2013

My longest lasting relationship was with a guy I met on OKCupid. We weren't really that compatible, but we made it over a year before he left me (due to my frequent travel for work and emotional distance).

by Single foreverreply 1104/28/2013

by Single foreverreply 1204/28/2013

I want to use the service that Manti Te'o used.

by Single foreverreply 1304/28/2013

Met my current boyfriend on OkCupid. It's been 3 months, which isn't that long yet, but better luck than I've had in a long time.

by Single foreverreply 1404/28/2013

OP, I'm single right now, but I've met nearly every guy I've dated semi-long-term (at least a year) online. I even met my last bf via Gaydar, a site mainly intended for hookups, but we hit it off and started dating. You definitely need to be picky, though, and not try to date what I'll call the "perpetually single" (e.g. they've had a profile on a dating site for several years but can't ever manage to find "the one" - gee, I wonder why...); these are the "window shoppers" who put themselves out there, for whatever reason, even though they have zero intention of actually dating, or even meeting, anyone from it. Also, you need to be sure not to *talk* forever -- I'll go through three or four volleys of e-mails at most before insisting on a RL meet -- so as to avoid shut-in types like swf.

by Single foreverreply 1504/28/2013

R8, does Yahoo Singles still exist?

I had forgotten about that singles site.

It is never mentioned by anyone.

by Single foreverreply 1604/28/2013

R10, that's because it can be very humiliating, embarassing, painful, and hurtful to be rejected by the person meeting you for the date.

by Single foreverreply 1704/28/2013

I met my first boyfriend on Yahoo! Singles. Back in 1999.

by Single foreverreply 1804/28/2013

R15, it is possible to be on singles sites for literally years and not find a compatible or desireable person to date or have a relationship with.

I think you are being harsh. Just because you are lucky in finding the right people for you to date, it doesn't mean everyone is that lucky.

by Single foreverreply 1904/28/2013

R17? You are just too fucking *precious* to live. It shouldn't be "humiliating" if you don't hit it off with a first date; if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Yes, it's really that simple, and no, it's not a personal indictment on you personally if someone doesn't feel a click with you.

by Single foreverreply 2004/28/2013

R19, unless you live in Bumfucke, it is *not* possible to be on singles sites for years without finding even *one* potential match unless you are simply TOO. FUCKING. PICKY. Accept it and move on.

by Single foreverreply 2104/28/2013

r21, that's possibly my problem. I've tried, okcupid, etc. I've yet to met a guy who really does it all for me, and that's what I want. Why would I want to waste time on a guy who does only half of what I want a man to do.

by Single foreverreply 2204/28/2013

R15, thans for the tips. I may reactivate my ok cupid profile.

by Single foreverreply 2304/28/2013

[quote]Why would I want to waste time on a guy who does only half of what I want a man to do.

The problem is that the "man who does everything you want him to do" doesn't exist. He's a Prince Charming you've concocted in your head, and I'm guessing you refuse to "settle for less" -- even though on the off chance someone meeting all of your many criteria *did* exist, he's probably looking for someone younger/smarter/hotter/less weird than you are. Sorry if the truth hurts...

by Single foreverreply 2404/28/2013

Years ago, at GAY.COM I met someone I thought was Mr. Right --- too bad he turned out to be insane ... Damn!

by Single foreverreply 2504/28/2013

R21, you are mixed up. It's not that they never meet or find a potential match, it's that none of the people which they actually meet in person result in anything more than that first meeting.

by Single foreverreply 2604/28/2013

I met mine on adam4adam.

by Single foreverreply 2704/28/2013

R20, it can be humiliating and hurtful to be rejected for one's looks, not being rejected for one's personality or clicking personality-wise.

by Single foreverreply 2804/28/2013

Those of you who question not being able to find people to date apparently are not in the older age brackets.

The older you are on singles websites, the more you are rejected.

You'll find that being in the 40 thru 70 age group, you'll be rejected a lot and find it increasingly difficult to find someone to date.

by Single foreverreply 2904/28/2013

R29 - I'm 52 and not really interested in guys under 40, and it's a bit frustrating to see listings for guys about my age only interested in guys half theirs!

by Single foreverreply 3004/28/2013

R15, I was going to say something in defense of the "perpetually single" but then I finished reading the comment. That is exactly why I've had a profile for years, window shopping, no intention of actually dating anyone from it.

by Single foreverreply 3104/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!