Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Splendor In The Grass (1961)

I just saw this movie a few weeks ago, and really loved it.

I never realized that Natalie Wood was such a good actress, but she's wonderful in this.

I thought that Warren Beatty was just ok. He seemed like James Dean without the charm.

One question which I'll try not to spoil, did the look-alike start to figure things out at the end?

It seemed to me that she did when she was standing in the doorway.

by Anonymousreply 2309/01/2013

Spoiler alert! Jeez, OP.

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

This was written by GAY William Inge. This movie is pretty gay, for a movie with no gay characters

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

Its so ooooooold.

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

Hollywood was never very concerned with getting the wardrobe and hair right in period films, but somehow this film has always been the very worst in that aspect for me.

It doesn't look remotely like the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

There is more truth in Zohra Lampert's 2 minute scene (as Warren Beatty's wife) at the close of the film than Natalie Wood's performance throughout the rest.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

I'm not spoiled!

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

This movie is my second favorite classic campfest, after Mommie Dearest.

"Spoiled? SPOILED?? Oh no, mama, I'm not spoiled, I'm not SPOILED!!"

If I were Deenie, I would have been a huge slut. I would have fucked Warren Beatty on the first date, and then I would have fucked Toots, and then the hot guy she ended up marrying at the crazy hospital. She was surrounded by hot guys who wanted to fuck - what's not to love??

That scene with Bud's sister, in the parking lot, making out with one guy and being ogled by others (with a slight hinting of a possible gang-bang) was pretty risque for 1961.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

[quote] did the look-alike start to figure things out at the end?

To me, they look nothing alike. I think "Angie" felt dirty and poor, compared to Deenie.

Deenie looked clean and put together, and Angie lived in a dirty farmhouse, with chickens and kids running around in a big mess. I think that's why she looked so upset.

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

Deenie's mother was enough to make anyone crazy. She was seriously in need of a muzzle.

R7 I would have fucked Bud on the 1st date and every date after that.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

It was Will's and my favorite movie.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

Zohra took that tiny 2 scene role and came close to walking off with the movie.

Warren just never did it for me. Too mumbly. I think Deanie should have gone after Toots instead.

Loved Sandy Dennis as Deanie's friend, Kay.

Nat's best performance but I cringe every time I see her in the water. Eek. Also, I think I saw an areola when she was in the tub.

What do we think happened to Juanita? I love the scene where she's kissing Bud's chest. I would have gone straight for the nipple but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 1109/01/2013

The European version had Natalie jumping out of the bathtub and running naked down the hall, but her naked ass was not shown in the USA version.

by Anonymousreply 1209/01/2013

Natalie Wood was Hollywood's most underrated actress.

by Anonymousreply 1309/01/2013

Deanie made everyone uncomfortable in that last scene. She was acting like visiting royalty. I'm handing out a diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder.

I'll bet it wasn't long until she was back in the nut house for good.

by Anonymousreply 1409/01/2013

I guess guys were all experted to find the slutttiest girls and use them as fuckholes. And keep the good girls 'pure'.

by Anonymousreply 1509/01/2013

You mother fucker! If I ever get my hands around your neck! Some of us have never seen this film before and now you've ruined, ruined it for all of us!

by Anonymousreply 1609/01/2013

Anyone who hasn't seen Splendor by now, isn't a movie fan.

by Anonymousreply 1709/01/2013

It was on PBS last night. I hadn't seen it since I was a young man, the same age as the characters in the film. At that time, it held my attention and I identified with the situation. Last night it kept putting me to sleep. .. Except when Natalie got all loud and shrill. Eventually, I turned it off. It's for the young. Beatty sure was pretty, then. However, he was prettier as Clyde Barrow. Hotter, too.

by Anonymousreply 1809/01/2013

Splinter in the Ass

by Anonymousreply 1909/01/2013

The Kansas houses were actually at the end of Victory Boulevard in the Travis section of Staten Island. Demolished last year.

by Anonymousreply 2009/01/2013

R12 Thank you for telling me that. I was beginning to think I had imagined that scene. I watched SITG last night and they didn't show it, but I do remember seeing the scene you mentioned at one time.

by Anonymousreply 2109/01/2013

I've seen it twice, and both times it bored me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 2209/01/2013

The guy who played Beatty's father must have come out of the womb old.

by Anonymousreply 2309/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.