Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is This Usual?

I saw a raccoon on my deck. It's been pooping on my pool cover. It's huge, kind of beautiful, looks very well fed. There are guinea fowl sleeping in the trees in my front yard (long story) so I opened my slider and yelled at the raccoon to get out. Raccoons kill guinea fowl.

The raccoon was at the far end of my deck and when I yelled at. it, it came running towards me. I was in my house and could close my slider if I wanted to, so I wasn't in danger. It ran right up to me and looked at me as if I had called him to come over. I yelled at it again, it ran to the side of me to get a better look at me, and it looked straight into my eyes for a few seconds, as if it was asking me "Are you sure you're mad at me or are you my friend?"

I yelled again and it ran under a chimney where I can't get to it. What is up with this raccoon? Does it have distemper or rabies? It doesn't look sick. As a matter of fact, it looks magnificently healthy and like its fur has been brushed.

Is this normal raccoon behavior? Only one of my cats goes out and I don't let her out at night. Her vaccines are up to date.

by Anonymousreply 7304/30/2013

When animals stare into your eyes, it's a sign of aggression. They're ready to fight. And raccoons are dangerous and carry diseases. Don't get him riled up, and don't let your cat out.

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

They are so used to urban areas now they are downright brazen. I see them more and more in regular daylight hours.

Don't fuck with it, OP. They are cute in some ways but really they are mean critters and filled with disease. Sort of the Grindr guys of the animal world.

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

What time of day did this happen?

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

I would call a wildlife officer. They can humanely trap it. They'll observe it for rabies. If it is healthy, they'll release it. If not, they will euthanize it. Although, it could be used to other people feeding it, and associate people with food.

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

People who feed raccoons are morons of prize winning scale.

a) they fucking eat anything so they don't need scraps

b) feeding them compounds all the problems associated with raccoons in urban environments.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

What R1 said. Raccoons are aggressive animals and they aren't scared of humans. They do not hesitate to challenge humans and assert their authority. The raccoon is coming up to you as a sign of aggression and basically telling you, it's not afraid of you and will attack.

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

If it was rabid it would come after you and not give up until it did. Rabies makes the carriers have a need to spread their disease. Stay away from it nonetheless . And don't feed it.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

If you see one then there are 20 more living within 300 ft of your sighting. Trapping one will do no good. There are too many. Raccoons do an excellent job of staying out of our way. Ignore that one and stay away, that's your best advice.

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

Just had a huge raccoon problemin the attic of rental property. Called wildlife officer and trapped six of them over a week! He told me there are usually more than one usually three to four. Plus the are very territorial.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

i would like to see an animated short of OP's description.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

Where is iguana killer Daniel Boon (sic) when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

I would never feed a raccoon!

One good thing about winter is that they go into torpor and stay out of the area.

I'm worried about the guinea fowl.

If a raccoon shits on my property could it spread distemper if my cat sniffs the poo? Like I said, her vaccines are up to date but if I should forget, I'm wondering if it is dangerous in that way.

BTW, my husband always poo-poohed (pun intended) my refusal to let the cat out at night. When he saw the raccoon tonight, he pretended he was always in agreement with me about the cat staying indoors at night.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

[quote] i would like to see an animated short of OP's description.

It was fucking freaky, R10. It's eyes glowed red and it's nose had this faded white-pink spot on it like an old person with vitiligo.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

Raccoons are cuddle buddies!

You should've opened your door and let it in.

Raccoons are great bed sleepers.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

[R12] Thanks. Learned a new word tonight. Torpor. Definition of TORPOR

1 a : a state of mental and motor inactivity with partial or total insensibility b : a state of lowered physiological activity typically characterized by reduced metabolism, heart rate, respiration, and body temperature that occurs in varying degrees especially in hibernating and estivating animals 2 : apathy, dullness

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

Keep those sliding doors closed & locked, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

Cats and raccoons are allies and work together. Seriously it's true... saw it on PBS. Raccoons are evolving fast.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

Here's the show I saw you gotta watch it - you can see it online - it was Nature on PBS - Raccoon Nation.

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

Just hope it doesn't decide to move in.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

He was simply the first wave of an all-raccoon advance troop.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

[quote]Cats and raccoons are allies and work together. Seriously it's true... saw it on PBS. Raccoons are evolving fast.

Raccoons will kill cats. We had one on our property who killed 2 of the neighborhood (very friendly) strays. Wasn't rabid, just an asshole. We called the city and had it captured.

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2013

About 20 years I was living in Seattle and a friend gave me a reading with a psychic for my birthday. Cool. The psychic told me that my boyfriend was a prick. Thank god I didn't have to pay for that newsflash.

As the session was ending, she told me that animals were here to teach us things and that we must pay attention the lessons they have to teach us. OKay.

That evening I made dinner and sat down to eat and watch the news. I had this huge picture window -just this huge picture window and a gigantic raccoon appeared at the window. He was standing full up, screaming WAAAAAHHHH!!!! pounding on the window.

I thought, well perhaps the raccoon is trying to teach me something. Pound pound pound. WAAAAAHHHH!!! I freaked out and threw a carrot out on the deck.

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2013

Next time you're at a social gathering with DL types, be sure to refer to them as "coons."

by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2013

I was walking up the stairs one night and saw something staring in from outside the window. I went in for a closer look and sure enough it was a raccoon sitting on a small ledge. It didn't move, just sat there staring me down. This was in NYC, where they've become epidemic, along with rats and opossums.

If you saw the raccoon in the day, it is most probably rabid. Raccoon are normally nocturnal.

by Anonymousreply 2504/25/2013

[quote]Raccoons are great bed sleepers.

This weird guy at work was telling me how he befriended a raccoon and brought it to the vet for shots and made it his housepet.

And this older lady at work told me she's had two different pet skunks! She says they're very friendly and make great pets if you have them de-scented.

by Anonymousreply 2604/25/2013

What kind of fucked up place do you work?

by Anonymousreply 2704/25/2013

My father also raised coon hounds. Raccoons can also kill dogs. Especially if they are near water, the raccoon will drown a dog.

by Anonymousreply 2804/25/2013

When he came to the window and looked at you, he was saying: "Did you say NPR? Do you want me to come in and listen to NPR with you? What show is on now?"

by Anonymousreply 2904/25/2013

[quote]The raccoon is coming up to you as a sign of aggression and basically telling you, it's not afraid of you and will attack.

He's telling you now so he won't have to tell you then.

My favorite raccoon story:

by Anonymousreply 3004/25/2013

Found cat.

by Anonymousreply 3104/25/2013

That was disturbing... and genius. I loved every minute.

by Anonymousreply 3204/25/2013

R31, not only is that not a cat, it's not a raccoon either. It's a possum & should be put in a drawer.

by Anonymousreply 3304/25/2013 should watch UrbanTarzan to get some pointers on how to deal with animals. In fact, he trapped a raccoon in the ceiling of a house in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 3404/25/2013

[quote] Rabies makes the carriers have a need to spread their disease.

No, R7, that's zombies - not raccoons.

by Anonymousreply 3504/25/2013

I, for one, welcome our new Raccoon Overlords!

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2013

It's not necessarily true that a raccoon that approaches you in the daytime is rabid. My mother used to feed her cats outside on the porch in summer and a couple of years ago when the raccoons and possums found out, they were all eating together (with the cats!). The raccoons were loud and made nasty noises when they ate. They finally ended up running the cats off and hogging everything, until my mother changed how/where she fed them.

From your description, someone is feeding that raccoon, perhaps inadvertently. Still, stay away from it. They are not nice. I've seen them (when on a lower branch of a young tree) take on a big black lab and not lose.

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2013

A friend came home to raccoons in her house eating the dog food. They came in through the dog door. She went and sat in her car and called animal control to come help her. She was afraid that A.C. would kill them and they reassured her that they live trap them and release them near the wetlands by the golf course. They asked for her address and she informed them that she lives in the developement next to the wetlands and golf course.

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2013

I had raccoons in the attic last winter. They made three big holes in the ceiling on the second floor. It was quite an expense to repair all the damage.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

My grandparents had a country home in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. It had floor to ceiling windows. One night when I was about eight, Grandma put out a pie tin of water and assorted food items, including a marshmallow, next to the window. We kids turned out the lights and lay on the floor. With only the glass between us, we watched a raccoon come, wash his food, and eat it. He liked the marshmallow. This happened about 55 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4004/26/2013

Awww. I liked that story, r40.

by Anonymousreply 4104/26/2013

I played peekaboo for a couple minutes with a small raccoon hiding under my deck one summer night (when I keep my doors open). I'd keep peeking out the door and it would keep peeking above my deck. Damn thing was so cute. I would love to hug and pet a raccoon, but I know that's just crazy talk. There's no fighting with a raccoon, either, not when human flesh is involved.

If a raccoon actually came up to me, I would assume something is very wrong with it. I wouldn't be there when it was arriving.

I was at a park one day, years ago, sitting at a picnic table. My friend's 18 month old was sitting on my lap when a deranged squirrel climbs up my leg. I'm concerned and think it's rabid. It's tail is weird and thin, but I know I have to keep this little kid safe, too. I sorta shook my leg and it ran away without biting me, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

Want a couple raccoon tidbits? In Sweden, there is not a word for raccoon. They call them washing bears, because raccoons always wash their food in water if they have the chance (thus why they tend to live close to creeks / city drainage pipes). This is because they don't have salivary glands.

by Anonymousreply 4304/26/2013

I have a raccoon story.

One night last summer I heard strange screeching and hissing right outside my second story window. I looked out to see that four large raccoons had climbed up the light pole. They were assembled at the top, jockeying for position and making a lot of noise. The pole is just a few feet away from my window, so I opened it and said, loudly, "What the fuck are you doing?" They stopped chattering and all looked at me at once. Stared. It freaked me out a bit.

They eventually scrambled down and took off.

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2013

Years ago when I was camping with my family, we were awoken by some crazy, loud "cat fight" noises just outside our pop trailer. Six of us ran to one end of the camper (nearly tipping it over) to watch what turned out to be big 'ole raccoon party compliments of the newbie tent campers across the street. The idiots went to bed and mistakenly left their hatch door to their station wagon wide open. Stored in the back of the car was all their food for the trip. There must have been 20 raccoons tearing everything apart and clearing it out. It was like watching a never-ending clown car of gluttonous animals. Hilarious for us, not so much for the newbie tenters - must have been a fun ride to the car wash.

This pic reminds me of that moment every time I see it.

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2013

I've had them come in my home before and eat food right next to our my cats, then leave.

Their poop is grainy and dark and is usually found at the base of big trees.

Distemper wiped out a whole family who lived in our backyard for 5 years.

The babies used to wrestle around on our padded bench on our deck most nights around 9:00 pm.

When frightened or unsure they hiss.

by Anonymousreply 4604/26/2013

r40, They still use marshmallows to catch raccoons. I thought I had one raccoon problem, For years I had one who would come up to my back deck glass doors and stand up and sort of wave to me. He was huge and sort of cute for a minute but I got sick of being watch and tried to scare him away.

Nothing scared him so I went upstairs and laid in bed and all the sudden he's looking down at me through the skylight like a love sick puppy. No matter what I did he just wanted to watch.

This went on for years I just thought it was normal suburban life. We always had raccoons growing up and never did anything about it.

I finally figured out they weren't just walking on my roof but living in my attic! Twelve of them caught in a week. Ewww! The critter guys used a trap with marshmallows and they would go ballistic until the guys would come or until the 95 degree heat almost killed them. It was hell to listen to and the neighbors would all gather around and watch. It took over a month to get rid of them all. New ones just kept showing up I started to think they were planting them for more money.

After15K for a new roof and attic later, I have peace.

by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2013

We had a pproblem with raccoons in our neighborhood. Vector control of our city told us if you see raccoons in the daytime, it's not good and is a sign they are carrying rabies or distemper. Raccoons are nocternal and tend to sleep up in high trees during the day, then forage at night.

by Anonymousreply 4804/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2013

OP, that is normal behavior for a raccoon these days. They're pushy fuckers. Plus, it sounds like someone in your area is feeding it.

Don't touch it. Don't go near it. Most people don't know this, but everyone in a raccoon-infested city should: raccons carry a parasite that is deadly to humans. The parasites get into human brains and mess shit up. The parasites don't harm th raccoons though.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

OP I have a full length raccoon coat which I no longer wear due to my PETA-ish conversion in the 90's. I would be happy to send it to you. You could don the coat and then gingerly approach the little bugger for some heartwarming coon on coon bonding.

by Anonymousreply 5104/26/2013

R47, where did the critter guys take the raccoons? Did they release them or kill them?

by Anonymousreply 5204/26/2013

They spread lepto. Horrible disease. I hate them all. Filthy cocksuckers.

by Anonymousreply 5304/26/2013

You in danger girl.

by Anonymousreply 5404/26/2013

How can you tell when raccoons are in the attic? Do you hear feet pitter pattering around?

by Anonymousreply 5504/26/2013

R44 = Sue Simmons

by Anonymousreply 5604/26/2013

One of the video shows years ago showed film of family trying to figure out what was eating the dog food. An infrared camera showed a raccoon coming in the dog door (ignoring the dog sitting watching him). When the cat entered the room the raccoon scrambled out the door like it had been burned.

by Anonymousreply 5704/26/2013

I hate raccoons. Kill them all.

by Anonymousreply 5804/26/2013

[quote] This is because they don't have salivary glands.

Raccoons sample food and other objects with their front paws to examine them and to remove unwanted parts. The tactile sensitivity of their paws is increased if this action is performed underwater, since the water softens the hard layer covering the paws. However, the behavior observed in captive raccoons in which they carry their food to a watering hole to "wash" or douse it before eating has not been observed in the wild. Naturalist Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon (1707–1788) believed that raccoons do not have adequate saliva production to moisten food, necessitating dousing, but this is certainly incorrect. Captive raccoons douse their food more frequently when a watering hole with a layout similar to a stream is not farther away than 3 m (10 ft). The widely accepted theory is that dousing is a vacuum activity imitating foraging at shores for aquatic foods.

This is supported by the observation that such foods are doused more frequently. Cleaning dirty food does not seem to be a reason for "washing". Experts have cast doubt on the veracity of observations of wild raccoons dousing food.

by Anonymousreply 5904/28/2013

How did raccoons get to Sweden? I thought they were indigenous to North America?

by Anonymousreply 6004/28/2013

Coon lovers, r60.

by Anonymousreply 6104/28/2013

If there are raccoons in your attic, isn't there a visible hole in your roof?

by Anonymousreply 6204/28/2013

ExBF told me a story how they used to tease one raccoon near their house: Leave a bunch of sugar cubes around and watch him wash them into nothingness.

And a friend told me that he had raised a baby raccoon for about 6 months until it bit the shit out of his hands.

r30, that is hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 6304/28/2013

I'm only interested in the guinea fowl and am disappointed nobody has taken OP's bait to ask about them.

by Anonymousreply 6404/28/2013

So far the guinea fowl are ok (fingers crossed). I don't know where they came from/who owned them. Fifteen of them showed up last spring. There are 5 left. They come into my yard every day because I have a birdfeeder. They talked me into buying some cheap millet for them, so I did. They also like peanut pieces. They come into my yard relatively late in the day and often decide to spend the night in my pine trees.

Last year I heard 3 guinea fowl get killed up in the trees at the bottom of my neighbor's property. There was a noreaster, so it was howling wind and rain; a stereotypically dark and stormy night. There was nothing I could do to help. It must have been raccoons. I don't think a horned owl would have killed three of them. And raccoons had been hanging out at that end of the property.

When the weather gets better here, an electrician is coming to install floodlights.

by Anonymousreply 6504/30/2013

We have a raccoon who comes up in the dark to eat the dry cat food that we put out for the strays that live on and under our deck. When I open the door to look at him, he pauses for a minute and then runs. I thought they weren't afraid of humans, but this one will not stay on the deck if I make noise or appear to be coming out onto the deck.

by Anonymousreply 6604/30/2013

OP, it's the bird food that's attracting the raccoons in the first place, so in a roundabout way you are doing the birds more harm than good. Maybe you should just let them forage for themselves and let the balance of nature be.

by Anonymousreply 6704/30/2013

To use an old-folks street term, raccoons are roguish. And not in a good way. Yes, they're adorable to look at, but when they even think they're close to a food source, they get Al Qaeda, IRA, Mississippi Burning aggressive. Human, fox, feral cat, fellow raccoons, doesn't matter.

My coworker's cat had its throat literally torn out by a raccoon.

They have adapted brilliantly to human habitation.

by Anonymousreply 6804/30/2013

Last year I had a momma raccoon and baby on my deck at night. She would come by to eat some of the stray cat food, then leave the baby for a while. He would roll and swat at things, and wait. She'd come back and get him in an hour or so. Happened about 4 times.

by Anonymousreply 6904/30/2013

OP, it's the bird food that's attracting the raccoons in the first place

The bird seed in the feeder is put out in the morning and completely consumed within one to two hours. I use the mess-free birdseed in the feeder that is shell-free.

In the afternoon, I give the guinea fowl a few handfuls of millet and they scarf it up quickly, then scour the ground looking for more.

My neighbor, on the other hand, leaves catfood out day and night.

by Anonymousreply 7004/30/2013

Sounds like a cheeky bugger. I wouldn't fuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 7104/30/2013

They are thugs! Thugs with opposable thumbs!!

by Anonymousreply 7204/30/2013

R69, that trifling heifer was using you to babysit her kid while she went creeping.

Shocked she didn't end up with more masked brats to leave on your deck.

by Anonymousreply 7304/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!