Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The last five movies you just haaated

I'll tell you mine downthread.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12705/03/2013

Anna Karenina - laughable

Melancholia - that planet is overdue - die the fuck already...

by Rogene Sisbertreply 104/25/2013

Anna Karenina was brilliant, how was that laughable?

by Rogene Sisbertreply 204/25/2013

Not five but one anyway. Django Unchained -- absolutely disgusting.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 304/25/2013

Rachel Getting Married! What a bunch of ludicrous clap-trap. I still get mad thinking that I spent money on that abortion of a film.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 404/25/2013

r2, among other things the leads had zero chemistry therefore Anna's decisions made no sense. Jude Law was excellent, however,

by Rogene Sisbertreply 504/25/2013

Silver Linings Playbook. Awful.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 604/25/2013

Sliver Linings Playbook - was torture

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Snooze. Could not watch past an hour

Alice in Wonderland, the Tim Burton movie - had absolutely zero charm, unlike the book and Helena was screaming too much

by Rogene Sisbertreply 704/25/2013

Snow White and the Huntsman

Tree of Life

The Place Beyond the Pines

Magic Mike

Oz the Great and Powerful

by Rogene Sisbertreply 804/25/2013

The WORST movie I have seen in years was this Philip Seymour Hoffman vanity project called "Jack Goes Boating". It is a "hard to believe" level of ridiculous, egg headed, gibberish. You won't believe your eyes!

by Rogene Sisbertreply 904/25/2013

Cloud fucking Atlas was a big waste of 3 hours.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1004/25/2013

I'm r1 - I think Melancholia was brilliant - but I just couldn't take it. The last 20 minutes were torture.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1104/25/2013

Anna Karenina - what a piece of crap

Life of Pi - smarmy, boring, and at times, incomprehensible.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1204/25/2013

Snow White and the Hunstman. I can't believe it's getting a sequel.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1304/25/2013

Chernobyl Diaries, Megan Is Missing, Donner Pass, Jack and Jill, Teeth

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1404/25/2013

Oblivion-Anyone who likes it must be a scientologist

The Hobbit-Looked like it was filmed with a preowned camcorder

The Place Beyond the Pines-A film about fathers and sons that would have been better is the fathers had screwed the sons instead of screwing them over

Oz the Great and Powerful-Words can't describe

The Host-Two good looking guys fighting over the most boring girl in the universe. So basically Twilight without the werewolves and vampires.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1504/25/2013

I'm the poster from above who HATED Rachel Getting Married. Here are a few more...

Lars von Triers' "The Idiots." I have a high tolerance for movies but I had to turn it off as it got close to the end. It was really awful.

Recently tried to watch "Carlos" the miniseries and I was bored. They just jumped from incident to incident without building his character -- though maybe that happened in parts II and III, which I couldn't be bothered to watch. BORING.

Georgia (Jennifer Jason Leigh) was a mess.

Another movie I loathed was Vanilla Sky. Tripe.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1604/25/2013

The one where M plays a fat woman married to Tommy Lee Jones

The one where M plays a fat woman who runs the UK

The one where M plays a fat woman who is married to Alec Baldwin

The one where M plays a fat woman who cooks with Amy Adams

The one where M plays a thin woman who sings with Pierce Brosnan

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1704/25/2013

Rachel Getting Married was so horrible....that dishwater loading scene went on forever....and it was directed by Jonathan Demme! I love Silence and Something Wild.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1804/25/2013

Crash - A heavy handed hit me over the head with a frying pan serious look at racism in America made by Hollywood douchebags. Loathsome shit served up by a pack of self-congratulating assholes gunning for Oscar nominations.

What Dreams May Come - Maudlin treacle.

Practical Magic - Barely remember why I hated it at the time. But I hated it. Maybe because I saw it with a date I hated at the time (who loved it).

Uncle Buck - puritanical sex negative filth. Hated this mean spirited so called comedy.

Sammy and Rosie Get Laid - a loooooong time ago. I drove down to Center City Philly to see it, but still remember how much I hated it, if not why I hated it.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 1904/25/2013

I LOVE the movie "Georgia". I'm sorry you didn't, I thought JJL was incredible. And Mare Winningham to boot!

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2004/25/2013

R16, interesting that you dislike "Georgia" so much. I think it's a pretty brilliant character study and also notable for having two really interesting roles for "older" women.

A movie that I hated so much that six-seven months later I still wince sometimes when I think of it: "Prometheus." OH. How I hate that film.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2204/25/2013

I loathed these five films from the marrow in my bones and with the heat of a billion suns:

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Les Miserables

Melancholia

The Grey

Warrior

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2304/25/2013

HOW can you not like Les Miserables? Ridiculous!

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2404/26/2013

r23: I liked three of your five!

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2504/26/2013

The Princess Diaries.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2604/26/2013

[quote]interesting that you dislike "Georgia" so much. I think it's a pretty brilliant character study and also notable for having two really interesting roles for "older" women.

It's like twenty years old....weren't they considered "younger" when it was made?

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2704/26/2013

you are all just jealous of my Oscar

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2804/26/2013

"Snow White and the Huntsman" -- dreadfully dull

But the worst? "Prometheus" -- so incredibly stupid, mind-bogglingly bad scrip.

"Armageddon" is a second runner-up, for horrible script, incredibly stupid, bad acting, cheesy crap, and just plain ridiculousness.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 2904/26/2013

[quote]"Armageddon" is a second runner-up, for horrible script, incredibly stupid, bad acting, cheesy crap, and just plain ridiculousness

wasn't that like 1999 or so?

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3004/26/2013

R16 is really a fucking moron.

I'd say Silver Linings Playbook x 5.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3104/26/2013

"Brokeback Mountain" is so overrated. Kitsch for gay men, and silly, self-absorbed melodrama. Strictly for queens who wallow in self-pity. Btw, you realize if they lived those guys would be Log Cabin Repugs.

Just saying.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3204/26/2013

Last night, I thought that someone had suddenly turned on my cable and I had Lifetime for Women showing an awful made for TV thing... and then I remembered I had put on "The Impossible" with Naomi Watts and fallen asleep after half an hour. Impossible to watch, indeed.

And "Perks of Being a Wallflower" annoyed the shit out of me too, especially the notion that a hipster alternative kid wouldn;t know Bowie, "Heroes" no less. Talk about the definition of "twee".

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3304/26/2013

Yes, R30, it was a long time ago. I only mentioned it because it was my "worst movie I've ever paid to see in a theater" until I saw the abortion that was "Prometheus".

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3404/26/2013

[quote]Georgia (Jennifer Jason Leigh) was a mess.

Yeah but that airport scene was hilarious!

I watched that Total Recall remake the other day on HBO or TMC or whatever and loathed the fuck out of it. Only reason I kept it on was because I was sick as a dog and couldn't bother locating the remote. Then that Beastly movie came on and I was expecting to hate it, but it was passable.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3604/26/2013

[quote]HOW can you not like Les Miserables? Ridiculous![/quote]

I love the stage musical and have several cast recordings on my iPod, but the movie was shit! Terrible singing, terrible direction, terrible photography -- just all-around terrible! It probably wouldn't have been such a terrible experience if they'd had adequate singers, but the talk-singing shit was torturous! I was very disappointed since as a longtime fan I'd been looking forward to it all year.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3804/26/2013

Anyone who hated Melancholia probably couldn't be my friend. Fine if it didn't move you, or you thought it was just okay, or even a bit overwrought. But to hate it? Nope.

It was close to perfect for me.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 3904/26/2013

Les Miserables -so dull, dull, dull - overblown and underdone at the same time

Moonrise Kingdom -wretched

The Company You Keep -miscast and a HUGE disappointment

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4004/26/2013

r39, you have terrible taste and I'm proud to not be your friend.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4104/26/2013

Yeah Melancholia was awful I had to turn it off or risk destroying my TV.

Les Miz was fucking awful.

Hated Sweeney Todd terrible adaptation Burton fucked it up.

Prometheus hard to believe that was a Ridley project.

Just about every comedy that has come out including Hangover. Exception Bridesmaids.

Would love to hear from those who hated Beasts Of The Southern Wild and why they hated it. Just doesn't seem like one of those types of films that would get a strong negative reaction like hate.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4204/26/2013

I don't like lots of movies but I haaated "Borat." I wanted to punch the screen.

Snow White and Dark Shadows were really boring. Those are the last 2 movies I've seen.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4304/26/2013

Becky: How does it feel, coach?

Sue: I’ve gotta be honest, Becky. I’ve looked forward to this very moment for a long time and now that it’s finally here, I’m left with a strange…empty feeling.

Becky: That’s what I felt when I saw ‘Prometheus’.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4404/26/2013

Even if you hated everything about Brokeback Mountain, you have to give it points for set design. Jack's parent's house, Ennis' trailer; how could one forget that? Sure stayed with me.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4504/26/2013

r42, re Beasts of the Southern Piece of Shit: it was the combo of horrible acting, shaky-handheld camera and pretentious story -- the epitome of a bad indie movie. That it was so acclaimed completely astonishes me -- I thought its badness was rather apparent.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4604/26/2013

I liked Brokeback Mountain so little, I could not sit through it a second time, even though Jake was in it (I'm not a Jake troll, but I'm more inclined to see movies he's in just because he's in them than any other actor, except maybe Hugh Dancy).

I'm on the fence about Les Mis. I just saw it. I don't go to theatres anymore. I didn't like the speak-singing, either, but I didn't hate Anne the way you all prepared me to do. There wasn't very much to like about it except for Hugh Jackman and Eddie Redmayne. It was just so diminished compared to the play.

And all that CGI: uch. I used to prefer movies to plays because they seemed more realistic. Now movies have even more fake sets and drawn-in scenery. I don't know how many of them I'm going to see from here on out.

I can imagine the things R3 hated about Django. I only watched it because I must see everything Kerry is in. I was surprised how much I liked it, gruesome as it was.

Saw Argo. I neither loved it nor hated it, but I don't get the "best picture" love. Scoot McNairy is the only thing that kept me from turning it off halfway through.

I'm about to watch Lincoln.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4704/26/2013

Oh, and Argo was the first Ben Affleck starrer in which I've wished he'd take his pants off.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4804/26/2013

The bad films I have seen recently are:21 Jump Street, Friends with Kids, Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows (made the first one seem like a masterpiece), Love and other Drugs (torture)and The Dark Knight Rises (Michael Caine crying was the lowpoint of his career and he has had some lows).

by Rogene Sisbertreply 4904/26/2013

Hard Candy

Ted

The Avengers

J. Edgar

We Bought a Zoo

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5004/26/2013

FUCK YOU R37 for your women comment. Zero Dark Thirty could care less about

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5104/26/2013

Another vote for Les Miserables. Completely intolerable.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5204/26/2013

The Worst Five of 2013

1. Identity Thief

2. Identity Thief

3. Identity Thief

4. Identity Thief

5. Identity Thief

So horrible it seemed like sitting through 5 movies in a row. Not funny (actually irritatingly unfunny). Melissa McCarthy needs to just fucking retire. Awful. She's the new Rosie O. in terms of awfulness!

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5304/26/2013

I seem to be able to avoid watching movies I hate.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5404/26/2013

Same, R54.

Unless I just drop in on a theater and get tickets to whatever is playing right then. The last time that happened to disappointing results was with "Horrible Bosses" quite some time ago.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5504/26/2013

Les Miserables

Alex Cross

Identity Thief (Unbelievably awful)

Upside Down (Kirsten Dunst MESS)

Disconnect (the "Crash" of 2013)

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5604/26/2013

An Education

The King's Speech

One of the movies in the LOTR trilogy. Can't remember which one I saw. Fucking tedious and overrated piece of crap.

Julie and Julia. I liked the Dame Meryl storyline but the Amy Adams arc was beyond annoying. I wanted her to choke on her boeuf bourguignon.

Something's Gotta Give. I should never have watched this in the first place as I've always loathed Diane Keaton and her fake, calculated persona.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5704/26/2013

Same as R54, though "Prometheus" caught me by surprise. The ads looked great, the Director has done some very good stuff, and I like the general genre... but the movie was just horrible.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5804/26/2013

Okay, it's not that recent but whatever that piece of shit was with Angelina Jolie, directed by Clint Eastwood. So bad that I'm glad I can't remember the name and I refuse to look it up.

Haaaaaaaated it more than I've hated any film in a long time.

Snow White and the Hunt that Twilight Bitch Down and Kill Her. Now. Please. Not even worth watching it on cable.

Anna Karenina - a great novel ruined by Keira fucking Knightley and the director's vanity.

Those bachelor party movies with Bradley Cooper, I've only seen the first one but it was godawful.

Last but not least - the aptly named Les Miserables. Even the satisfaction of AnnE Hathaway's early death wasn't enough to redeem it.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 5904/26/2013

There sure are a lot of unhappy gay men in America.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6004/26/2013

Hetero Lincoln whitewash

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6104/27/2013

"Oblivion" wasn't bad. It wasn't good, but it wasn't worth hate. It was actually quite beautiful to look at, and it's only real problem was that it was utterly predictable (being an unoriginal mishmash of a half-dozen other sci-fi movies and tropes). I was 2 or 3 steps ahead of it the entire way, but it never really got *boring*. It was just kind of "meh". Worth a cable viewing if you're really into the genre, but I wouldn't pay for it (I saw a matinee, and that was still a bit too much). You see the 'twist' coming a mile away.

"Prometheus" is pretty, but so insultingly bad it's totally worth hating. I wish I could un-see it.

The last movie I hated that much was Matrix:Revolutions... a movie so bad it made me hate Matrix:Reloaded retroactively.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6204/27/2013

[R39] Melancholia may not be in my top 10 of all time, but it was the most compelling film I've seen in 2 years.

The worst movie I have seen recently is "Savages" an Oliver Stone directed, terribly miscast movie with Blake Lively, Taylor Kitsch and another hot guy I have never heard of. They are new school drug dealers/growers(a brilliant botanist and an ex-Navy SEAL) who both are lovers of Lively, a bored dilettante, who live as a threesome in a hole in the wall beach bungalow in Palos Verdes. Is there such a thing??? I could not make it past 40 minutes, so I have no idea how the plot was resolved, but I doubt I missed much. There is ONE hilarious bit of trivial fact surrounding the film. Uma Thurman was cast as Lively's mother, shot the entire film, and then was completely erased in the cut! Oh my! That must have pleased Uma to no end.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6304/27/2013

That would be the last 5 movies I saw.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Color Purple

The Man Who Fell TO Earth

Had to stop at 3 as I don't recall any before that. I saw them when they came out. I guess i don't go to movies, nor do I rent them or view them on television

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6404/27/2013

[quote]Julie and Julia. I liked the Dame Meryl storyline but the Amy Adams arc was beyond annoying. I wanted her to choke on her boeuf bourguignon.

I liked the film and the Amy Adams part was fine, but everyone seems to hate it so much. A little kitsch and her BF was goody gum drops, but it didn't bother me too much.

Hated let's talk about Kevin, but I walked out, so I can't say too much about why. I'm a big walker outer and avoid most contemporary films.

That film about the old people who all go to India bugged me. I can barely remember it, actually.

& yes, the King's Speech was a bore.

(This is a negative thread).

[quote] Angelina Jolie, directed by Clint Eastwood.

What were you expecting, for Christ's sake?

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6504/27/2013

Olympus has Fallen;reminded me of Big Time Wrestling. Let's see, who is our enemy now that the audience can hate and scream,"USA,USA"? With wrestling it was people like the Iron Sheik. In this film it's guess who? The North Koreans. Mindless crap which was merely a remake of Die Hard.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6604/27/2013

I suffered through "Gangster Squad" last night. Unfuckingbearable. It would have been a whole lot cheaper if Warners had just re-issued "L.A. Confidential" to cinemas.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6704/27/2013

Prometheus. Never again.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6804/27/2013

I could not stop at 5:

Side Effects

Amour

This is 40

The Odd Life of Timothy Green

The Master

This Means War

The Host

Kon Tiki

by Rogene Sisbertreply 6904/29/2013

"Silver Linings Playbook". If the leads were Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman, would we have given a shit what happened to them? Left halfway through.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7004/29/2013

Amour

Jack Reacher

Steel Magnolias (TV)

Fright Night (Remake)

Premium Rush

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7104/29/2013

Speaking of Melancholia, I really kind of miss Kirsten Dunst as an actress. I thinks she's quite good.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7204/29/2013

Oh I know SWF, Savages was really terrible.

Has anyone seen this weird ass movie called "Hick" with Blake unliveley and Chole Gertz moertz gretz whatever?

It has Eddie Redmayne as a drifter-con and he picks up chloe, rapes her and holds her hostage in a cabin. Alec Baldwin is the manager/owner of the cabin (RANDOM) I never liked Jessica Chastain until I saw the movie "Jolene"

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7304/29/2013

My Idiot Brother. Yes he was. Such an idiot that no one could possibly care how he screwed up his life because he was an idiot.

Dan In Real Life. If the family had been slaughtered, THEN the movie would have been interesting.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7404/29/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7504/29/2013

1. The Big Wedding

2. Identity Thief

3. Killing Them Softly

4. The Paper Boy

5. The one with Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogen. I can't remember the title and I don't have the inclination to look it up.

6. Hyde Park on the Hudson

Believe it or not, I actually have decent taste in movies. All of the ones above were selected by friends to go see. I would have avoided them all based on the trailers.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7604/29/2013

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who walked out of "Amour." The acting in the movie was phenomenal, but the movie was so bleak, tedious and hopeless that I almost had to go home and take an antidepressant.

I was sitting with my best buddy in the theater and my mind was just numb. I knew he had wanted to see the movie badly, so I was just going to politely suffer through it (you know, the kind of things we do for our friends).

About half-way through (I would assume), Mike leaned over, laughed, and said, "My God, this thing is horrible. Do you like it?" I laughed, shook my head "no" and we bolted. We ended up going next door to watch "A Good Day to Die Hard", which was easily the worst "Die Hard" movie, but after "Amour", "A Good Day to Die Hard" seemed like "The Maltese Falcon" by comparison.

It pains me to have hated it because the lead actors in "Amour" were fantastic and I felt almost guilty hating the movie.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7704/29/2013

MOVIES I HAVE HATED IN 2013, THUS FAR:

1. Amour

2. Identity Thief

3. Pain & Gain

4. The Call

5. Olympus Has Fallen

MOVIES I HAVE LOVED IN 2013, THUS FAR:

1. Mud (awesome film!) *****

2. Side Effects ****

3. Warm Bodies ****

4. Quartet (predictable, but a delight) ****

5. The Sapphires ****

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7804/29/2013

The Artist; Magic Mike; Melancholia; War Horse; Friends With Kids

by Rogene Sisbertreply 7904/30/2013

I don't know if I could be friends with anyone who haaated "The Color Purple".

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8104/30/2013

I hated "Sucker Punch," "Iron Man 2" and quite a few independent gay-themed movies.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8204/30/2013

I can't remember the last five. I can only remember the last one: "Moonrise Kingdom." I was not familiar with Wes Anderson movies; if I had been I never would have gone to see the thing. I'd only seen photos of Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis and Ed Norton, all looking amusingly plain and pathetic (Norton looked particularly funny in a Scout uniform). I heard it got good reviews. But it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen: a "fairy tale" where two mentally disturbed 12 year olds run away together and later get "married."

The movie was unfunny and tedious, filled with lifeless characters speaking in monotone voices. EVERYBODY seemed depressed and listless. The child protagonists are unappealing and dislikeable; the rest of the cast are totally wasted in their roles. There's also a gross scene where the two 12 year olds indulge in sex play and the boy gets a chubby! I don't think I've ever wanted to walk out of a movie before but it happened with this one. I didn't walk out, I stayed til the end and when I got home I felt physically ill. Yes, it was THAT bad.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8304/30/2013

Inception

Bruno

...it's hard to find hate. A fervid hate may be better than abject indifference

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8404/30/2013

Last five movies I expected to like, but I remember thinking, "I wish this was over already" during:

Oblivion

Les Miserables

Lincoln

Tree of Life

The Iron Lady

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8504/30/2013

To The Wonder

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8604/30/2013

Are you a lesbian, perchance, r83?

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8704/30/2013

I can Trance to my list. It's the lastest from Danny Boyle and while it's gorgeously photographed (and you get to see James McAvoy's lovely ass), it's an utterly un-thrilling thriller that gets sillier and sillier as it goes along, except it's not funny. Unbelievably awful.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8804/30/2013

r87, do only lesbians hate Wes Anderson films? I'm a gay man and I'd rather slit my wrists than sit through a Wes Anderson film.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 8904/30/2013

I thought Moonrise Kingdom was cute, like all his movies.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9004/30/2013

"Uncle Buck - puritanical sex negative filth. Hated this mean spirited so called comedy"

"Sex negative filth?" How could it be "sex negative" and "filth" at the same time? You're not making any sense.

I saw that movie and it was typical John Hughes fare, and John Hughes movies are far from "sex-negative." I guess you found it "sex negative" that Buck tried to prevent his teenage niece from being taken advantage of by a slimy kid named Bug ("what's his last name? SPRAY?"). If that's what you consider sex-negative, then you have some serious mental problems indeed.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9104/30/2013

"I thought Moonrise Kingdom was cute, like all his movies"

Wes Anderson's movies tend to feature the killing of an animal, a dog usually. The people in his movies seem deeply mentally disturbed. That's what you call "cute?"

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9204/30/2013

I didn't enjoy Trance either. I had such high hopes for it too but what a disappointment.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9305/01/2013

[quote]I don't know if I could be friends with anyone who haaated "The Color Purple".

I can see why someone would hate "The Color Purple". The book was mediocre and overrated. The movie version was putrid enough to make the novel look sort of interesting in comparison.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9405/01/2013

And you're not anyone I would ever want to be friends with, R94. Ugh. So completely wrong.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9505/01/2013

R95 the book and the movie sucked

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9605/01/2013

I'd say most people would disagree with you, R96. I've read the book and seen the movie. They're both pretty amazing.

Unless you're completely emotionally dead, maybe. Anyway... haaating these is a red-flag to me. Guess I should post that on another thread :-)

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9705/01/2013

I finally saw "Magic Mike" on TV a few nights ago. That was one of the worst movies I have seen in my 47 years. Awful. Worse than "Flashdance" or "Staying Alive" 30 years ago, even. I can't believe it made so much money at the box office.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9805/01/2013

R97 has lousy taste. I agree with R94 and R96. The book and the movie are both terrible. The film is typical Spielberg garbage mad even worse by the fact that the source material is tedious, banal drivel to begin with.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 9905/01/2013

"The Hangover" is the one film I can single out as one of the most HATEFUL films I have ever had to endure. Even for a "comedy", it's spectacularly unfunny.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10005/01/2013

The hobbit

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10105/01/2013

I have to imagine people who hated Magic Mike so much didn't get it. It's a freakin' comedy. I laughed most of the way through it. But then I saw it in a theater with an energized crowd.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of people that seemed to think it was supposed to be a serious drama. No wonder they hate it.

I've also seen a LOT worse movies than Magic Mike, which is a fun, campy little trifle and nothing more. Not even worth "haaaating".

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10205/01/2013

R99 is full of shit. There's a reason the book and the movie are widely recognized as excellent.

[quote]mad even worse

Oh dear. Your irrational anger got the best of you it seems.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10305/01/2013

OZ the Grate and Pitiful. Banal.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10405/01/2013

"The Master"

Both PSH and JP managed a heady combination of obnoxious, physically repulsive and boring.

I hated every second of it (well, until the three quarters of the way through, when I finally gave up). In fact, I cannot think of another film I've hated as much, ever.

[quote]Okay, it's not that recent but whatever that piece of shit was with Angelina Jolie, directed by Clint Eastwood. So bad that I'm glad I can't remember the name and I refuse to look it up.

R59, the movie is "Changeling", and I hated that too. In fact, I also didn't get to the end of it, and I do sit through to the end of 99% of the movies I start watching. I still didn’t hate it as much as I hated "The Master", though.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10505/01/2013

Hated the first Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man 2. They're a few years old but unfortunately relevant due to sequels... Aaand I honestly just realized that both are RDJ franchises after writing the first two sentences. I don't hate the guy, he just makes really shitty films these days.

The Hobbit was awful. Bad action, bad comedy, but the worst were the touching scenes, such utter tripe.

I didn't enjoy The Cabin in the Wood much, wish I just watched that one at home.

I notice this isn't easy to answer, I do like most films I choose to see. Really enjoyed Prometheus btw.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10605/01/2013

I've only got two movies that I saw in theaters that were so mind numbingly awful they nearly made my head explode.

"Highlander II: The Quickening"

and

"Battlefield Earth"

I'm still not over either of them.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10705/01/2013

"Unless you're completely emotionally dead, maybe. Anyway... haaating these is a red-flag to me."

No doubt you also swooned over "Precious" and "The Help."

Anyway, I'm one of those people who didn't like "The Color Purple" and I don't give a fuck if you don't want to be friends with me. I thought the book was overrated; I thought the movie was terrible. That scene where Celie and her sister are clinging to each other like limpets, a weepin' and a wailin' not to be separated while evil Mister physically pulls them apart is meant to yank the heartstrings but I found it hilariously campy. It was just too much, Stephen Spielberg's overblown idea of pathos. It seemed more like slapstick, what with Celie hanging onto Nettie's dress while she's dragged, clump, clump, clump, down the steps. And aren't teenage girls a little old to be playing patty-cake? That made them seem kind of retarded. And by the way, NONE of that was in the book.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10805/01/2013

#102, I expected a raucous, Boy's Club sort of atmosphere. It was just dull, like the producers were uncomfortable with the subject matter.

The only "comedy" was unintentional: the dance scenes are snickeringly bad. Unfortunately, not "Showgirls" fun/bad.

None of the characters were delineated well. The addition of a gay character would have been welcomed.

Best scene: in the first five minutes Channing Tatum gets up out of bed and saunters to the bathroom and you get a long, luxurious shot of his whole naked behind. Then it descends quickly into a wan soap opera.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 10905/01/2013

[quote]That scene where Celie and her sister are clinging to each other like limpets, a weepin' and a wailin' not to be separated while evil Mister physically pulls them apart is meant to yank the heartstrings but I found it hilariously campy.

You're just an awful person.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11005/01/2013

I thought "The Hobbit" was an okay popcorn movie. It's a masterpiece compared to "The Fellowship of the Ring," which I gave up on after the first interminable hour. The teenaged hobbits were insufferable and Elijah Wood reminded me horribly of Michael Jackson. The fight scene between Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee was flat-out embarrassing. It should have been staged with walkers and portable oxygen units.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11105/01/2013

I saw Magic Mike as a comedy-drama, with the emphasis on the drama and I thought it was just fine.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11205/01/2013

"You're just an awful person."

No, I'm not. I just thought the movie TCP was a ridiculously bad version of a so-so book.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11305/01/2013

Prometheus

SWATH

Young Adult

The Call

Cabin in the Woods

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11405/01/2013

American Bully - mean spirited, racist and totally cheats the ending (newscaster recap to try to make it look like a cautionary tale).

Great ass scene of one of the pups fucking his slut at the abandoned house.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11505/01/2013

[quote]No, I'm not. I just thought the movie TCP was a ridiculously bad version of a so-so book.

Me too. I don't know how many Steven Spielberg movies I got dragged to before I finally realized how much he sucks.

He always goes for the trite and treacly.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11605/01/2013

Dark Shadows The Dark Knight Love, Actually Magnolia Gangs of New York

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11705/01/2013

I somehow ended up seeing "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone." That was a mistake.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11805/02/2013

So some people base friendships on what movies they or their friend do or don't like?

by Rogene Sisbertreply 11905/02/2013

r113 really needs to let it go. Enough.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12005/02/2013

No, R119. But someone so emotionally cold that they are unmoved or contemptuous of a wonderful movie like The Color Purple, or that laughs or derides the situation those girls were in... and who doesn't "get" the patty-cake at the end at all... is not someone I could ever be friends with. Whether due to racism, sociopathy, or just being an asshole/dick, such a person is not one I would care to associate with.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12105/03/2013

Guilt Trip (it was not funny at all, Seth Rogan has an annoying vocal fry/chortle that he does at the end of almost every line).

Oblivion

Les Mis

Bachelorette (I hated every single character)

Sinister (I like horror, and it was definitely well-made, but it was so dark and disturbing that I had to stop watching it halfway through)

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12205/03/2013

I agree with almost all of the posters, movies have been shit for almost 20 years.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12305/03/2013

I think the ratio of good movies to bad is about the same as it's always been, but I just have a lower tolerance for bad and mediocre films.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12405/03/2013

No I don't think so, back in the 60s, 70s & 80s almost all the movies nominated for Oscars were at least watchable and fairly interesting. Now they all suck.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12505/03/2013

"But someone so emotionally cold that they are unmoved or contemptuous of a wonderful movie like The Color Purple, or that laughs or derides the situation those girls were in... and who doesn't "get" the patty-cake at the end at all... is not someone I could ever be friends with. Whether due to racism, sociopathy, or just being an asshole/dick, such a person is not one I would care to associate with."

Honey-pie, if you are serious then you are one of the most psychotic, lunatic fangurls ever to rear your ugly head on Datalounge and that is REALLY saying something. You think not liking a movie that you are in love with (you're in love with a movie; how pathetic is that?) constitutes "racism, sociopathy or just being an asshhole/dick?" My stars, you are one sad, sick, fucked up loser.

I most definitely would never, ever, care to associate with the likes of YOU. I'm pretty sure just about everybody who comes in contact with you feels the same way.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12605/03/2013

[quote]you are one sad, sick, fucked up loser.

I think you're projecting.

In fact, you are [italic]clearly[/italic] projecting. You're a pretty awful person, just as I predicted.

by Rogene Sisbertreply 12705/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.