Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cate Blanchett

She should be in more movies.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2013

It's a shame her breath has made her a pariah in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

I prefer her and Naomi Watts to Nicole Kidman. Nicole is dominant without being popular. Annoying.

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

Naomi is getting bigger roles than Kidman these days. And is in more hits.

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

Is she really just straight and boring and married with kids? She excels at androgyny.

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

R2, I like all 3. They're all great actresses. Cate is less versatile, but she's my favorite of them all.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

Love Cate. I hope "Blue Jasmine" is a good film. Same with "The Monuments Men." She was barely in "The Hobbit."

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

I never really cared for Blanchett before, but after seeing her in Streetcar at BAM, I was a convert. She's an extraordinary stage actress, and I think that's where she does her best work. She's doing Genet's The Maids with Isabelle Huppert in Sydney this summer, which almost makes me want to book a flight to Australia!

Because of her theater commitments, she hasn't been in many movies lately, but she's coming back with a vengeance this year, with new films by Woody Allen, Terrence Malick and Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

I love Watts but surely Cate is the most versatile R5. She clearly has the most range by far and is really the only one these days comparable to Meryl Streep.

She has maybe been a little overshadowed by Tilda Swinton lately who is similar (like in the androgyny department) but both great actresses who have a penchant for arthouse.

Compare this to box office poison Kidman who thinks she is arthouse and like Tilda and Cate but just tries too hard to be taken seriously, as if working with prestige directors is enough. She is the most one note of actresses and plays the same ice queen over and over again (albeit very well sometimes).

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

Cate is one of my favorite actresses, but I think there are just certain characters she can't play. She has a certain gravitas that limits her, but also makes her very commanding and extremely captivating.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

Nicole has been throwing noodles against the wall. Prestige directors is pushing it. Grace of Monaco could be high art or a complete disaster, but she has shown a resistance to aging naturally and this edges her towards late Joan Crawford. The material choices, like Stoker, are awful. I hope The Railway Man is good. Does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

Love Blanchett on screen but feel she is just an adequate stage actress. In the extraordinary Uncle Vanya, she was merely ordinary while Hugo Weaving, Jacki Weaver and Richard Roxborough were outstanding. In Streetcar she was flat out terrible playing all of Blanche's story in the first five minutes. Joel Edgerton was much better opposite her.

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

Did you see Bandits, R9? Cate can do comedy, with Bruce Willis!

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

With fame she became mannered. (That said, I like her Kate in The Aviator - it's campy.)

She was amazing in STREETCAR, but so so in UNCLE VANYA. She depends on the director to give the best performance she can.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

I love her in that movie with Judi Dench. Felt dirty in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

The book was much better, R14. And funny.

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

Cate can't act. I proved THAT didn't I?

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

Kate Hepburn's screen and public personae was so over the top campy, and I agree Cate was wise to just go for it. Giving her an Oscar for playing Hepburn was the height of Academy masturbation (her 5th Oscar!), but at least Cate is a theater trained actress. Most actresses now are really young, have to learn on the job, and then watch the hour glass run out. Clooney went right to Blanchett, for (again) the only female role in The Monuments Men, so that was a high compliment.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

R16 I'm still bitter she lost to GOOP that year.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

She needs a Best Actress win within the next 5 years to remain credible.

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

She needs a Best Actress win within the next 5 years to remain credible...

At Cannes

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

I'm on the Cannes jury this year! A little can-can, a little snuggle with Harvey. It's a living.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

Did I win Cannes? I must have at some point, no?

MAMIE!!!! Go thru the trophies and look for anything written in French!!!

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2013

Didn't Cate just pocket a $14 million check from Armani? It seems classy.

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2013

Meryl won at Cannes for A Cry in the Dark.

by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2013

$10 million

by Anonymousreply 2504/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 2604/25/2013

I wish she had done Closer instead of Julia Roberts. She would have made the role much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2704/26/2013

would rather be a mother than an actress.... selection of roles based on convenience to family obligations first.... this is according to her.

by Anonymousreply 2804/26/2013

Why did Cate quit "Closer"?

by Anonymousreply 2904/26/2013

[quote]would rather be a mother than an actress.... selection of roles based on convenience to family obligations first.... this is according to her.

please. I did both and with twice as many kids.

by Anonymousreply 3004/26/2013

R29, Cate Blanchett got pregnant and had to drop out of Closer. Would have been a totally different film with her instead of Julia Roberts. I am rooting for Julia, now that she has some good material in her hands.

by Anonymousreply 3104/26/2013

Even with great material you can only do so much when you're a subpar Actress.

by Anonymousreply 3204/26/2013

Where does Toni Collette place amongst Kidman, Watts and Blanchett?

by Anonymousreply 3304/26/2013

Saw Blanchett on stage twice for Big and Small (Paris and London). Amazing, fearless actress. I was very much a fan of her on film since Elizabeth (and Aviator, and I'm not there, and so many others), but was overblown by her work on stage. Two days of my life I will never forget.

by Anonymousreply 3404/26/2013

She's brilliant.

Uncle Vanya.

Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 3504/26/2013

She's going to be the wicked stepmother in Disney's Cinderella that Kenneth Branagh is directing. Emma Watson turned down the lead role so there is no Cinderella yet, but I'm sure Cate will be awesome.

Has she ever played a villain before?

by Anonymousreply 3604/26/2013

[quote]Has she ever played a villain before?

by Anonymousreply 3704/26/2013

R37, is it any good? That's the one with that Saoirse Ronan girl right?

by Anonymousreply 3804/26/2013

Also that dreadful Indiana Jones movie, she was a villain in that.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2013

And her character in Shitting News wasn't exactly symmpathetic, but who wants to remember that movie???? Starring Douchebag Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 4004/26/2013

Her character in Babel: hardly likeable. Perhaps the only movie where I found Brad Pitt to be any good, aside from his toy boy turn in Thelma & Louise. And possibly Se7en.

by Anonymousreply 4104/26/2013

And once again, let's not forget... I was the REAL star of Se7en!

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 4304/26/2013

she was excellent in "Veronica Guerin"

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2013

Cate Blanchett is excellent in anything she does! Minus maybe one or two missteps

Wait is this still a villain-discussion?

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2013

Has anyone seen The Gift? Sam Raimi film with Cate, Hilary Swank, Keanu Reeves, Giovani Ribisi and Katie Holmes. Really dark and creepy film. The acting is incredible, even by Keanu.

by Anonymousreply 4604/26/2013

Set to star in the lesbian-themed "Carol"

by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2013

Possibly the best of the lot R33, she has the most soul, yet is also the freest. Not getting the roles or attention she should though. Her old co-star Rachel Griffiths deserves mention but had to also go in to TV.

R34 I was going to mention that. Said to be the performance of her career. Wish I could see all this stage stuff. :(

R38 Hanna is decent/worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2013

I'm lucky enough to live in Sydney and see her beautiful stage work on a regular basis. She really is magnificent and fearless. I also admire her continued commitment to the Australian film industry (as I do Colette's and Griffiths'). I highly recommend watching Blanchett in "Little Fish", where she plays a heroin addict trying to get her life back on track.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!