Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think time travel will be possible in the future?

Do you think the concept of time as being an [italic]all-at-once[/italic] experience is true? Wouldn't it be awesome if we could go back in time to see what earlier eras were like?

This may seem like a dumb question (but please take this [bold]VERY[/bold] seriously): has anyone felt like they've gone back in time accidentally or sense that someone they've met was not from the present (the here and now)?

by Anonymousreply 6304/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

who knows, thoughts are, if you can think it, it's possible!

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

I'm black and my options for time travel are very limited, unless it's the future.

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

I'm traveling in time right now. Why, in the time it has taken me to type this, I have traveled over a minute into the future. Believe it, or not!

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

OP, time is a man-made concept to arrange our memories. Because we can only handle memories in a linear fashion.

First, we assume time exists and linear, then we assume you can time travel because we can jump around in all other linear things. Time travel is a mirage built on another mirage called time.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

r5, I think my head just exploded.

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

We time travel all the time in our minds. Think about how often your thoughts are consumed by the past or the future. It's a trick we play on ourselves to distract us from the here and now, which is the only thing that matters.

That being said, I think real, physical time travel will be possible one day.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

r5, why is your post stuck at r5? Why didn't you move it to r1?

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

Yes, but the baggage fees will be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

[quote]I think real, physical time travel will be possible one day.

Well, you aren't very bright then are you? If time travel were to become possible we would have already met people from the future. But we have not, and no one in history has, so..... no one from the future has ever traveled back.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

Actually, there is a theory that UFO sightings are actually visitors from the future.

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

No. We are stuck in a three dimensional existence and time is a construct of that. In other dimensions there is no physical existence as we understand it and no time.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

Time travel is here. Lindsay Lohan jumped ahead three decades and now she looks like she's 60 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

People need to get over the construct of time travel as a physical thing. Think of time travel intellectually.... your conscious self of today traveling back to and inhabiting your body of 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

UFOs are from another dimension and they can drop in to our vibration from time to time. But they can't stay for long.

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

If there is such a thing in the future, why haven't they visited us or even people before us? Maybe they have some time travel protocol preventing them from doing so?

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

Come with me if you want to live.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

I don't think time travel will exist in the future. Even if there were some protocol against it, people would happily circumvent it - unless human nature changes entirely, I think the temptation would create lots of highly visible time travelers.

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

And yes, I'm skeptical that we would one day invent a cloaking technology so comprehensive that future time travelers would remain completely invisible to us.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

No way, José. Never gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

If you mean can someone's being be deconstructed and then reconstructed in another time or place ... I think Star Trek explored this heavily but never explained how. Many things like space travel to other planets are still very far away, if not impossible for our species. I wish aliens would come and create jobs.

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2013

It will be and already has been.

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2013

Only as soon as you understand your mind can be "outside of time" in the act of perception. Your body wouldn't need to transport itself. You would have to be able to remove your understanding of your consciousness to be something exterior from your body. Maybe then would the past and future open up to you as possibilities to your non-physical consciousness?

by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2013

Ditto interstellar travel.

Ditto "uploading our minds into computers".

Ditto teleportation.

These things will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 2504/25/2013

Everyone travels through time at the same speed: One second per second.

by Anonymousreply 2604/25/2013

Perhaps time travel does exist, yet in a "read-only" sort of fashion. That is, future beings could be witnessing our current civilization, but are completely unable to interact with us.

Well, I think that would be a fun way to time travel. One would not have to worry about crossing paths with anyone from the past or future who might do harm.

by Anonymousreply 2704/25/2013

If you could travel back in time, OP, your younger self would reject anything you told it. So what exactly would it do for you?

by Anonymousreply 2804/25/2013

R28, I would prevent people I like from dying accidental deaths.

by Anonymousreply 2904/25/2013

If I could go back to the past, I would have never cut my hair into a mullet.

by Anonymousreply 3004/25/2013

Earth is the nucleus of the universe. You are the only life as you know it, but we need Earth to survive. If you don't behave, viruses or ecological destruction will kill you, simply to take back the planet. Thank you for recycling.

by Anonymousreply 3104/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 3204/25/2013

there are other dimensions that we can't see/understand

by Anonymousreply 3304/25/2013

21st-century people are (were?) so cute!

by Anonymousreply 3404/25/2013

I hope to achieve teleportation

by Anonymousreply 3504/25/2013

Its actually been proven that you experience time in your head, not as it actually is.

A simple test shows this. Just ask a 18 year old to count to 60 seconds without looking at stop watch. Usually they come up short. Ask a 75 year old to do the same, they count too slow.

So your sense of time is relative to your age and how your physical brain quantifies it.

by Anonymousreply 3604/25/2013

very interesting r36....Are you Amy Farrah Fowler?

by Anonymousreply 3704/25/2013

I experience time travel all the time. Usually its after a couple of Xanax, a cocktail and my other anti-anxiety meds.

by Anonymousreply 3804/25/2013

Yes, but it's always in one direction: to the future

by Anonymousreply 3904/25/2013

I guess I am R37, the male version of that.

Damn it.

by Anonymousreply 4004/25/2013

Time travel is impossible.

And the John Titor hoax was so silly. Can't believe people still think it's legit.

by Anonymousreply 4104/26/2013

Perhaps the fact we don't have visitors from the future isn't because time travel is impossible but that we wipe ourselves out (or are wiped out) before we have a chance to determine how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 4204/26/2013

OP Have you seen the Mike Judge movie "Idiocracy"? The question should be would anyone want to slingshot themself into 2113?

On the other hand, I would love to temporarily transport myself to 1934 so that I could encourage my grandmother to have a backstreet abortion.

by Anonymousreply 4304/26/2013

It apparently is possible. Right now I am on the run with this guy named Kyle Reese who claims to be a soldier from the future. We are being chased around Los Angeles by a man(?) who looks like the former Governor of California. Mr. Reese says the man chasing us is a robot from the future that is trying to kill me in order to abort a child I am not even carrying yet. My mind is officially blown!

Somebody send help!!!! We just left a dance club named Tech-Noir, and now we are speeding down Ventura Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2013

Every day I have to look to the sun To see where it was that I have come from I have a feelin that there must be a time When I'll get a chance to go home 'Cause I'm so tired of being here alone But I'm just a traveller in time Trying so hard to pay for my crime

If I could go back the same way I got here And see the people that I once held so near I'd do my best to find an answer for you But first I must wait 'til I'm set free And I don't know how long that's gonna be 'Cause I'm a man with a whole lot on his mind Just out there somewhere travelling in time Travelling in Time I've tried for so long to find some way Of helping mankind

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2013

Props to r3. We were once having a discussion at work and some of the White guys were talking about past times in history they would love to go back and experience. The other Brother and I just looked at each other and he took the initiative to say basically what you did. In terms of time travel for Black folks, the future would be the only option.

by Anonymousreply 4604/26/2013

There really is no such thing as time. The past and future do not exist. The only thing that even has a chance to be real is the eternal now and some are not even certain that is real.

by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2013

none of it makes sense. I mean, we're living on a gaseous ball in the "sky" with a giant ball of heat to keep us warm.

John Titor--who believes?

by Anonymousreply 4804/26/2013

Time travel is possible.

I used it to get out of a bad relationship. My husband wasn't a bad guy, but he did a bad thing by cheating on me.

I found another man, who was more romantic, more faithful and was wonderful to me.

We had children, moved to Paris...I had a great life.

I left a message to my ex. I want him to know I had a good life. I hope he got it.

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2013

It's so charming to watch little minds try to grasp big things.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

what about if you go way out into space and then come back?

I think you'll be in the future then, no?

by Anonymousreply 5104/26/2013

No, because otherwise we would see large transactions in the stock market that make no sense, as time travelers will want to go back in time to become rich.

by Anonymousreply 5204/26/2013

Yes, it would be possible but with limitations.

If one could move at the speed of light, time would travel normally for the person moving at that speed. But for everyone else, time would move slowly in relation to the person moving at the speed of light. If a person travelled into space at the speed of light for one year (which is one light year) and then returned to earth, the person travelling at the speed of light would have perceived only one of our calendar years to pass by, but thousands of years would have passed by on earth. So the person would have essentially travelled into the future.

Sorry, but there is no way to go back to the past, at least not in the universe we presently inhabit.

by Anonymousreply 5304/26/2013

There will never be any time-travel to the past.

by Anonymousreply 5404/26/2013

if it were to be possible, wouldn't someone from the future have told us?

by Anonymousreply 5504/26/2013

Unless you perhaps go through a worm hole you won't be able to travel back in time. To the future, yes, as was mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 5604/26/2013

I just want a chance to get up from here, go back to 1962 and take a long asparagus saturated pee all over "Blanche."

by Anonymousreply 5704/26/2013

Do you believe in linear time and object permanence?

by Anonymousreply 5804/26/2013

If time travel is truly possible in the future, they will presumably be able to travel back and forth. That means that they will be able to travel to the present, which means that time travel will be possible now. For that matter, they will be able to travel to last year, which means that time travel will be possible in the past.

Therefore, it not only is possible now, but always has been possible.

by Anonymousreply 5904/26/2013

Every picture taken of you is a picture taken of you when you were younger.

by Anonymousreply 6004/26/2013

Yes, R60. And I looked GREAT!

by Anonymousreply 6104/26/2013

You will never be younger than you are right now.

by Anonymousreply 6204/26/2013

[quote]Props to [R3]. We were once having a discussion at work and some of the White guys were talking about past times in history they would love to go back and experience. The other Brother and I just looked at each other and he took the initiative to say basically what you did. In terms of time travel for Black folks, the future would be the only option

Depends on how far you go back.

by Anonymousreply 6304/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!