Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Good places to live if you suffer from allergies

Every year it seems that my allergies get worse and worse. I've been completely miserable this year. I'm on my third sinus infection. Moved to the desert southwest a number of years ago and never expected they'd be this bad here.

What are some decent places to live for somebody with seasonal allergies?

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013

The worst cities for allergies.

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

Supposedly, Colorado. I know someone whose family picked up and moved to Colorado Springs when he was young because he had really bad allergies. He was originally from Long Island, NY.

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

McMurdo Station, Antarctica

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

Best big cities for people with asthma

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

Florida ranks high because the air is humid and much of it comes from offshore so carries less than a full load of pollen and dust. But of course the lawns and flowers and shrubs, as well as molds and things, which grow luxuriantly in the climate, can also cause perverse outcomes for people.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

The desert (Arizona, New Mexico, etc.) used to be where everyone moved to escape allergies. Unfortunately a lot of people who moved there planted the grasses and trees they missed from their former homes back East. An old relative moved to AZ in the 1950's. She had about 20 years of relief before they gave up and moved back to Pennsylvania because all the plants followed them to Phoenix. I've heard that islands in middle of the ocean are nice for allergy suffers... good luck.

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

NOT Florida.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

Mount Ararat.

It's true -- ever heard of ANYONE with allergies on Mount Ararat?

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

Houston

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

i've never had allergies before but the past two days I've been a drippy nosed, sneezing every 8 minutes, watery eyed mess!

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

We'd offer you our bubble but it's got a thick, dull fog and it's full of venom.

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

Well, don't move to Cincinnati. Allergies are horrible here.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

OP, I've got lots of the usual airborne allergies but since I moved to the Pacific Northwest they don't seem to bother me as much, and I think it's because of the rain. In the spring we tend to get a lot of brief showers (interspersed with sun), so the allergens all get washed out of the air on a regular basis - or at least that's how I see it.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

OP, do you get allergy shots? They helped me a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

When My brother was a baby and sick all the time with asthma, the Doctor told my Mom Arizona would be good.

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

the cities at R4 are cities that have lots of rain

I think that would help re allergies

but then you would have S.A.D.

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

I lived sneeze free in NJ....but it still was NJ.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

Not Atlanta

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

Atlantic coast between Savannah GA and Riviera Beach FL. Stay within one mile of beach so you get clean breezes.

by Anonymousreply 1904/29/2013

NOT Georgia! Georgia has about all the pollens you could EVER imagine. It's on the list of top states NOT to move to if you suffer from Allergies/Asthma. I've lived here for almost 18 years and each year I get worse and worse, allergy shots helped for a while but then they no longer are effective. I'm trying my hardest to relocate myself, with the economy in the shape its in now makes it difficult to relocate anywhere, whatever you do, do not come to Georgia. I've visited my brother who lives in Lancaster, California who is also an allergy sufferer. He is not fond of living in California but as far as his allergies he does not take anything for them and he seldom has problems and when I visit I don't have any issue. I want to move out there to the Sacramento area, its on the list of Top Cities to move to if you suffer from Allergies/asthma but finding a job and cost of living makes it a difficult decision. But good luck!

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013

Get to the dentist, when your allergies get markedly worse it's often a sign of an infected tooth which might not hurt at all.

Also my allergies get worse when I eat a lot of rice, flour or sugar. Anything that raises your blood sugar increases inflammation in soft tissues such as joints, mucus membranes etc.

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2013

Local raw honey. I take some from haves 2 miles from my house. Every day. I give it to my dogs too. It's about 29 bucks a year and it changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 2210/07/2013

R22, how much do you need to eat a day and how many days/weeks did you take it before you saw an improvement?

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2013

R6 is correct about the desert Southwest. I've lived in New England, South Florida, Northern CA and now the Southwest and my allergies are the worst they've ever been.

In additional to people having brought all of the stuff they had back East to the desert, it turns out that I am allergic to Juniper which is all over the place and everybody is miserable when Juniper is throwing off it's pollen in the Spring.

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2013

I'd like to say Switzerland. Or perhaps the British coast (East Sussex - Eastbourne would be the best)

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.