Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Homophobic 'Death To Gays' Hashtag Trending In France

As lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocates across France celebrated the country's decision to legalize gay marriage Tuesday, a homophobic backlash found an outlet on social media platforms.

Beginning in the evening, the hashtags #MortAuxGay ("death to gays") and #ilfauttuerleshomosexuels ("we must kill all gays") began showing up on Twitter.

According to a Twitter Trending Topics page, #MortAuxGay was a trending term in France on Tuesday. AmericaBlog also took a screenshot of Twitter's trending terms list.

As the term gained notoriety, many French users took to Twitter to criticize their homophobic countrymen, but initially, the hashtag was used to convey anti-gay sentiment.

("I say no to gay marriage")

The debate over gay marriage has rocked France over the past few months, with massive -- and sometimes violent -- protests occurring in the streets.

Indeed, Tuesday night riot police battled with anti-gay protesters who attacked photographers and journalists, according to The Independent. There have also been reports of anti-same sex marriage protesters using human shields and using the fascist salute in clashes with police.

The Advocate notes that the country has seen an increase in anti-gay attacks throughout the past few weeks.

In October, French Twitter users used the hashtag #UnBonJuif, which translates to "#AGoodJew," to disseminate a variety of anti-Semitic tweets. The Union of French Jewish Students (UEJF) is currently suing Twitter for $50 million in damages relating to the tweets.

by Anonymousreply 3605/07/2013

I don't understand France is famously secular?

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

R1, it's clearly not the secularists. This has to do with their very large Muslim population. Sorry, but you know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

I'm so confused. I thought the French were more sophisticated and had less sexual hang-ups than the U.S. What is going on?

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

r3, it isn't "the French" as r2 pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

It has nothing to do with the Muslim population. It's the pope trying to accomplish by terrorism what could not be accomplished at the polls.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

Secularists can be anti-gay too.

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

And the Catholic religion [italic]knows[/italic] from terrorism.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

It didn't take long for an Islamic asslicker to show up at r5.

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

R8 I can't stand Muslims, but R5 is correct - most of the people in the protest pictures were white trash.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

R8 seriously think Muslims have power in France? They don't even the power to keep their faces veiled. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

This guy looks a bit more Catholic than Muslim to me.

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

r10 are you that stupid? Who's talking about "power" in the sense of winning a national election? We're talking about hateful people causing problems.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

If I were Chick-Fil-A I'd start looking at opening up some locations around gay hating areas of France! Poulet-Fil-Et, n'est-ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

R8, pointing out the truth doesn't make one an "Islamic asslicker". The majority of the protesters are French catholics, who can be as homophobic and hateful as any Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

Are there any polls? It would be interesting to know what islamic France thinks vs the actual french.

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

In what PROPORTION r14? My guess is that if 40% of Catholics were anti-gay and 98% of Muslims were anti-gay, you'd be jumping in with glee, isolating the Catholics in a street pic and saying "see!!!! they're just as bad!!!"

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

I don't know about France, but in America when someone uses the term "gays" it's usually a foreigner using it to denigrate gays. Queer and fag are usually used by the natives. Liberals need to start calling Muslims on their homophobic shit just like they do to Christians.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

It's the Catholics and Muslims. Don't you guys read the newspaper? The protests are entirely motivated by religion.

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

Do these people have lives? Do they have jobs or families to give their attention to?

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

This is all coming from the Vatican.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

[quote][R1], it's clearly not the secularists. This has to do with their very large Muslim population. Sorry, but you know it's true.

The opposition was white French people, Freeptard. Get over your obsession with Muslims already.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

[quote]We're talking about hateful people causing problems.

If you're talking about the opposition to gay marriage in France, it was white people, dumb dumb.

[quote]In what PROPORTION [R14]? My guess is that if 40% of Catholics were anti-gay and 98% of Muslims were anti-gay, you'd be jumping in with glee, isolating the Catholics in a street pic and saying "see!!!! they're just as bad!!!

Seek professional help, whacko.

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2013

As the Vatican is Italian, why can they publicly blame Italy for inciting violence in a foreign nation.

I am pretty such this is banned by law in the UN.

by Anonymousreply 2304/26/2013

Enough of the Muslim hate. As said and seen, it's low-end white thugs.

by Anonymousreply 2404/26/2013

No, R24. Enough gay-hating.

by Anonymousreply 2504/26/2013

It kind of makes you look at the French differently now.

by Anonymousreply 2604/29/2013

Yeah, France seems a lot darker place than many thought before.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2013

France is the new Uganda.

by Anonymousreply 2804/30/2013

30 April 2013 | By Joe Morgan Nearly half of all French footballers are allegedly hostile to homosexuality, a report has found.

Nearly half of France’s professional players are ‘hostile to homosexuality’, according to a new survey.

The poll, led by sports psychologist Anthony Mette, polled 121 professional soccer players from 13 clubs at the top two divisions in the league.

It found 41% of professional players appeared to hold homophobic views and 63% said they would be surprised if a teammate said he was gay ‘because it’s a taboo subject’.

As The Local reports, the authors were ‘alarmed’ by the homophobia festering among youth clubs, with as many as half of the young players scared to shower with a gay teammate and 22% saying they would ‘prefer if he left the team’.

The survey also found almost a quarter of youth players confessed they would be worried ‘the team’s performance would be worse’ with a gay player on the team.

‘As things are now, it seems almost impossible that a young gay man could come out in the context of a youth academy,’ the report said.

Speaking to French daily 20 Minutes, the researchers said: ‘We have to distinguish between opinions towards homosexuality in general, and [the question of] ‘what I would think’ about a gay teammate.

‘A majority of [professional] footballers would be open to the idea of a teammate having a gay relationship.’

A recent poll in the UK found three in five footballers believed a gay teammate would not be outcast, with one even saying he’d kiss a gay player if he scored the winning goal.

In 2009, a French team of Muslims refused to play against a gay club, citing their religious convictions. The team was then permanently banned from its local league.

The survey comes after a number of high profile attacks on gay men in France, as the National Assembly passing the final vote in favor of marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 2904/30/2013

So how was the latest antigay march yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 3005/06/2013

A poster calling for an anti-gay rights demonstration in Paris has been attacked as being racist after going viral overnight in the French Twittersphere.

The poster, designed by an anti-same sex marriage activist, depicts France’s Minister of Justice Christiane Taubira, who is black, as a raging gorilla/King Kong, overwhelmed by a flow of demonstrators from the “Manif Pour Tous,” the main anti-same sex organization. The slogan is a play on words: “manif monstre” can mean ‘giant demo.’

The picture, posted on Monday night, was retweeted and commented massively by anti-gay rights activists and by both outraged anti- and pro-same sex marriage activists.

by Anonymousreply 3105/07/2013

It's MUSLIMS and Catholics. Honestly, I do not get the pro-Muslim bullshit from liberal Americans. It's bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 3205/07/2013

Some of you are so stupid. Do you Americans have the faintest clue what happens outside of your own country? Muslims have very little power in France. Muslim women even aren't allowed to walk around with their faces veiled. The Vatican hasn't suddenly decided that French gay people are more offensive than other gay people. Their is a very, very vocal scary secular right wing group in France. They hate blacks, they hate Muslims and they hate gay people. Look them up. In fact google Bridget Bardot, she's one of them. Although she isn't quite as vocal as the right wing nut she sleeps with. Just because someone is right wing doesn't make them religious and vice versa. Not all other countries operate the way America does.

by Anonymousreply 3305/07/2013

Bravo, r33

by Anonymousreply 3405/07/2013

What are the gays called in France?

by Anonymousreply 3505/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!