Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rhode Island poised to become latest state to approve gay marriage

Once believed to be a close call, the legislation passed comfortably by a 26-12 vote. It heads to the House, where it easily passed in January, next week for final approval. Gov. Lincoln Chafee has pledged to sign the bill, and the first same-sex marriages could take place Aug. 1.

All of New England is now complete when it comes to marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 2304/30/2013

The Ocean state does the right thing. Thanks, Rhode Island.

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2013

California, meet Rhode Island.

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2013

Proud to be from RI

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2013

So, what are the chances NJ legislators can override Christie's veto? If they can't, they should just take their chances and put it on the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2013

I had no idea Rhode Island was still a state. Shouldn't it be a county?

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2013

Yes, R5. We want their beaches.

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2013

What the fuck is going on in Illinois? Is it really that hard to get 12 more votes?

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2013

Nothing seems to be getting off the ground in Illinois

by Anonymousreply 804/25/2013

It wouldn't be hard to get those votes if Mr. Madigan were sincere about wanting them. Eliminate this piece of garbage, and all would be smooth sailing.

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

It's so weird because from December to February, they were really optimistic about it and pushing for it and now just nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

I thought the most important thing about Rhode Island is that Republicans came on board. If this pattern can be repeated, we're home free!

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

A lot of Chicago pastors have vowed to defeat anyone who supports gay marriage. They are very powerful in Illinois. The success of the legislation depends upon Chicago legislators almost unanimously voted in favor of the bill. If Chicagoland legislators are divided, the bill will fail.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

R12 And then of course there's a certain closeted Republican asshole congressman who won't vote for it.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

Pastors have no power in Illinois R12. It is fucking cardinal george appealing to apparently closeted gay basher mike madigan.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

And, just as always, my moment in the sun is being bumped by issues in some other larger state.

Sigh, at least I have a current Miss Universe

(although she probably just went to college here and then signed up for an easier win with me).

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

RI last state in New England to jump on the bandwagon. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

Teresa Paiva Weed, R16. President of the RI State Senate. We've had the votes for three years, but she blocked the legislation from being debated or voted on because of her personal opposition to marriage equality.

Before that, we had a vehemently anti-gay governor, Donald Carcieri, who never would've signed the bill even if it passed both houses.

From Wikipedia, shows Carcieri's hatefulness:

[quote]In November 2009, Carcieri vetoed H 5294 which, if enacted, would allow domestic partners to oversee and care for a same-sex partner's funeral arrangements. The bill's impetus was motivated by an event when the State refused to release the body of a man to his 17 year same-sex partner. In his veto message, Carcieri made the following statement: "This bill represents a disturbing trend over the past few years of the incremental erosion of the principles surrounding traditional marriage, which is not the preferred way to approach this issue." In January 2010, the Legislature voted to override the veto.

Both Carcieri and Paiva Weed are raging Catholic jerks who think their church should dictate the law of the land.

What I wonder, is why Paiva Weed, who is still President of the RI Senate, changed her mind and allowed the bill to the floor this year (she did vote against it).

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

So, how about New Jersey's veto override?

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

R17 -- it became politically untenable for her to keep it from being voted on when the votes in favor were clearly there. She held it off as long as she could, but any longer and her own caucus would've revolted against her.

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

Amazing that in progressive Rhode Island of all places that the Senate Leader is a outspoken homophobe, yet most of the GOP senators all voted in favor of equality.

What's in the water in RI?

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

Progress, one small step at a time.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

"Slowly I turned ... step by step ... inch by inch ..."

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2013

The RI House is scheduled to vote on Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 2304/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.