Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Which is more important to you when choosing to watch a movie?

Which is more important to you: the actor or the movie concept?

Of course, it'd be great if the movie concept was good and the actors were good as well, but in deciding to watch a film, I'd go with movie concept.

No matter how good an actor is, if the movie plot sucks then there's no way to redeem the movie which is why I have to sit through so many bad performances by Leonardo Di Caprio (he seems to get the lead role in all the good movies).

Of course a [italic]really[/italic] bad actor can really bring down a movie but he/she won't cause the movie to collapse (or else, I wouldn't watch any movie that stars Di Caprio, that guy's unbelievably bad).

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2013

It's all about concept to me. Great if the movie stars someone I like, but I will not go see a film just because of who is in it. I don't understand why people put so much faith in "brand name" and "bankable" stars. It's rare that an actor is the difference between a hit and a flop.

This also means I don't understand people who just show up to a movie theater to see what's playing, or go to the movies without a specific film to see.

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2013

I agree with R1. Of course the concept of the movie.

I only go see a movie if it looks appealing to me and it has good buzz/reviews. The right cast helps and is nice, but at the end of the day it is all about whether I want to see the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2013

Director & writing. Bad actors can be good in a good movie. And good actors can be bad in a bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2013

The concept is most important. But there are a couple of actors whose movies I won't see because I just can't get past their presence. Tom Cruise is completely unwatchable for me.

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2013

It has a lot to do with the actors and whether or not I like that actor/actress

For example I will not be first in line to buy tickets for a Gwenyth Paltrow movie, however I would do so for like a Charlize Theron movie maybe. Regardless of the reviews, good/ bad

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2013

Usually the concept.

If an actor gets too much publicity, it's a deterrent to me.

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2013

I assume anything with Helen Mirren or Judi Dench or Kate Blanchett or Kate Winslett is going to be good... usually it bears out.

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2013

Like other posters there are some movies I won't ever see because of who's in them. But I won't specifically see a movie with someone I like, as actors will all do shit projects for money.

I look for director, reviewers with the same taste as me, and the consensus of 'top critics' on rotten tomatoes. If I see 37% I don't rent it.

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2013

I'm a huge movie fan but a huge movie snob. If a movie sounds interesting but is cast with people I dislike (Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ben Stiller, Nicolas Cage, etc. etc.) I'll avoid it. Actors start out good (DeNiro, Streep, Nicholson, Robert Downey, Jr.) then turn into "stars" and get lazy and boring.

I like offbeat stuff, well acted, provocative subject matter, unpretentious.

I usually hate animation, romcoms, gore horror and most sci-fi/fantasy.

But I did enjoy "Your Sister's Sister", "We Need To Talk About Kevin" and "Prometheus".

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

r9 you are the very DEFINITION of pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

It depends. There are some concepts that will get me into the cinema (damn near anything historical) but there are also some stars who will also get me into the cinema (Kate Winslet, for example -- I even sat through The Holiday for her).

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

Full frontal male nudity.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 1304/26/2013

When it comes to NOT going to a movie, if it stars Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson, I'll skip it. Other than that, I pay more attention to the story than the stars.

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2013

R14, On principle I agree with you. Other than that, the genre of movie and general reviews have far more of an impact than who's in it. For example I thought that the first Iron Man was surprisingly funny and entertaining. Maybe I should pay attention to who wrote it. Another actress would have done more with Paltrow's character, however. Sad that Hollywood still overpays "stars" that are lucky enough to be in the right project. Anyway I hope that the new Iron Man is better than the 2nd. Likewise I have high hopes for the new Superman reboot.

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2013

Concepts are a dime a dozen. The story is paramount. A poorly constructed story can ruin a good concept as a well written story can elevate a mundane one.

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.