Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Bette and not Melissa?

I'm curious. Both started out around the same time (Melissa sang backup for Bette for six months before singing on her own). Both have gay fanbases. But Bette got to be the big showbiz icon.

Not that Melissa has done bad for herself. She had a steady run on the charts for a few years. But she's always been a strong supporter of the gays, where Bette has been known to put her foot in her mouth once or twice.

Plus Melissa has retained her earthiness after all these years, whereas Bette seems to have become a humorless, conservative bore.

BTW, is there a gayer song than Don't Cry out Loud? That song practically oozes glitter.

by Anonymousreply 2704/25/2013

OP Melissa who?

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2013

Manchester, R1.

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2013

Manchester was a singer. Bette was an entertainer that sang. Different careers

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2013

omg Don't Cry Out Loud is one of my top karaoke go-to songs...the others being "Never Been to Me" by Charlene and "One Less Bell" by 5th Dimension

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2013

Who are Bette and Melissa?

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2013

Bette Schwartz and Melissa Hotchkiss.

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2013

I'm also a singing actress. I replaced Bernadette Peters in Song & Dance. On Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2013

OP, Midler is a foul-mouthed titty huckster. People like that.

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2013

Cause Melissa could never reach such heights as these, "personality" counts.

by Anonymousreply 904/24/2013

(R7) you did the tour, bitch. Betty Loon replaced me on broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1004/24/2013

Melissa is a lovely singer but she hasn't been high-profile in 20 years or so except for Blossom.She does the most beautiful version of LA VIE EN ROSE I've ever heard but Bette puts herself out there more.She's great but Melissa isa a better singer.She needs a hit again.

by Anonymousreply 1104/24/2013

My God, what a figure she had in R9's link. How do you let that go?

by Anonymousreply 1204/24/2013

Melissa Manchester = beautiful voice, but cannot sing a lyric to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 1304/24/2013

Melissa Manchester was awesome back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

Favorite songs by Melissa Manchester: * Don't Cry Out Loud * Midnight Blue * Just You and I ("Cannot sing a lyric to save her life," R13? Kiss my ass.) * Come in from the Rain (R13, see above) * Better Days (R13, see above)

Favorite songs by Bette Midler: * Wind beneath My Wings

I guess I'd better change "songs" to "song"

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

[quote] BTW, is there a gayer song than Don't Cry out Loud?

Gay culture isn't just anything female and cheesy. Dreck like "Don't Cry Out Loud" isn't gay, *you* have bad taste, not gays in general.

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

"Don't Cry Out Loud" *was* co-written by a gay man, R16. His name is Peter Allen. Here's what some of his friends had to say about it:

[quote]Ann-Margret who was a friend of Peter Allen has stated that the song's lyrics - though written by Carole Bayer Sager - reflect Allen's own frame of mind: "He just kept everything inside...his personal philosophy was 'Don't show anyone you're crying'."[1] Bernadette Peters, who toured with Allen in 1989, has stated that Allen told her that "his mother taught him to always put your best face on" in response to Allen's father committing suicide when Allen was fourteen.[2] The references to "baby" in the song refer to Allen's younger sister.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

Wasn't she in Hair?

by Anonymousreply 1804/25/2013

You gotta love Beaches and Wind Beneath My Wings, talk about patronising and wishful thinking. As if the pretty one would ever be in the shadow of that fug.

by Anonymousreply 1904/25/2013

Bette Midler's had a much bigger career than Barbra Seagull.

by Anonymousreply 2004/25/2013

Because Melissa is not funny and cannot come up with quick wit - not that she's shown us anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2104/25/2013

I have never enjoyed the "wit" of Bette Midler.

In recent years, I've heard she has a real grudge against the gays, that it's our fault -- because we loved her so much -- that her career stalled out.

by Anonymousreply 2204/25/2013

[quote]I have never enjoyed the "wit" of Bette Midler.

Well, good for you. But plenty of people do or did at some point during her long, successful, notorious career in comedy.

Whatever your tastes or opinions on her stand on gays, you can't argue with her decades-long past success.

by Anonymousreply 2304/25/2013

"BTW, is there a gayer song than Don't Cry out Loud?"

The entire of oeuvre of Sylvester springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 2404/25/2013

Bette was and is a dynamic entertainer- her first shows in the 1970s were some of the best stuff I have ever seen on a stage. She was a commedienne, actress, singer, all in one. Not at all the best singer but she certainly could put over a song- and God was she funny.

Manchester was a pretty good singer- although in retrospect, a bit limited. In anycase, not nearly the same type of performer as Midler.

by Anonymousreply 2504/25/2013

Today, Midler got a rave for her one-woman show on Broadway by the Times.

And Manchester? She polished off a pan cake.

by Anonymousreply 2604/25/2013

Even seeing Bette Midler at the first Gay Pride I ever went to (1974) wasn't enough to get me to buy one of her records. Too bold and brassy for my taste. A very hard surface. Impenetrable for me.

A couple of years later, when I was going through my first breakup that mattered, Melissa's songs really spoke to me (Peter Allen's, too). Her music resonates with me so much more than Bette Midler's, which, at best, never rose above silliness. She was never more than a comedian with a recording contract.

by Anonymousreply 2704/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.