Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Guys & Dolls remake with Channing Tatum!!

Fox Seals ‘Guys And Dolls’ Rights; Wants Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt To Fill Frank Sinatra And Marlon Brando Shoes

By MIKE FLEMING JR Wednesday April 24, 2013 @ 12:24pm PDT

Mike FlemingEXCLUSIVE:

At long last, 20th Century Fox has closed movie rights to Guys and Dolls, and the studio will soon start the process of developing a remake of the stage and movie classic for what Fox hopes will be a killer pairing of Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the roles made famous by Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando. There is no writer or director yet, but those guys are interested.

While we are all waiting for the eventual movie adaptation of stage hits like Wicked and The Book Of Mormon, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a musical adaptation get the kind of rise out of movie stars that Guys and Dolls has, each time a movie deal was rumored. Years ago, it looked like Harvey Weinstein was getting the rights, with his Chicago exec producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron producing the film. Thesps from Russell Crowe to Vin Diesel, Hugh Jackman and others all tossed their hats into the ring to play the leads. Trouble was, Jo Loesser, the widow of songwriter Frank Loesser, never found a deal to her liking and declined to sign over the rights. Until just recently.

The musical was taken from Damon Runyon’s short stories that captured the rogue gangsters and gamblers of the 1920s and 1930s. Here, Nathan Detroit (Sinatra) has a town full of captive gamblers and wants to set up a floating crap game but needs money to do it. He bets his pal Sky Masterson (Brando) that Sky can’t get the wholesome Sarah Brown (Jean Simmons)—who runs a mission—to go with him to Havana. Frank Loesser wrote the music and lyrics, and Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows wrote the book. It won the Tony Award for Best Musical when it premiered in 1950, and won the 1951 Pulitzer for Drama, until the troubles Burrows was having with the House Un-American Activities Committee caused the Trustees of Columbia University to veto the selection. Guys and Dolls was then turned into the 1955 movie. The classic Loesser songs included Luck Be A Lady, and Sit Down, You’re Rocking The Boat.

Fox’s intention to go young is intriguing, and while there is no deal with either guy and there won’t be one until a script and filmmaker are in place, Tatum and Gordon-Levitt are about the two hottest young guys out there. And both of them are versatile with the singing and dancing, as they showed during Seth MacFarlane’s opening number at the Oscars (yeah, the one with Bill Shatner and the ill-advised “We Saw Your Boobs” thing). Tatum was elegant as he spun around the dance floor with Charlize Theron, and Gordon-Levitt sang with MacFarlane and Daniel Radcliffe.

by Kill me nowreply 3604/29/2013

Gordon-Levitt (Nathan?) is 32.

Channing Tatum (Sky?) is 33.

Brando was 31 as Sky Masterson.

Sinatra was 40 as Nathan Detroit.

by Kill me nowreply 104/24/2013

This might be a good time for a new Guys and Dolls. The material is not over-exposed, the score and book are great, and a new theatrical musical release is overdue.

by Kill me nowreply 204/25/2013

Guys and Dolls. We've done both.

by Kill me nowreply 304/25/2013

Correction: Both of them are versatile with the bottoming and topping.

by Kill me nowreply 404/25/2013

I'm available to play Miss Adelaide!

by Kill me nowreply 504/25/2013

Mike Fleming's copy reads like a gasping homosexual. Color me bored.

by Kill me nowreply 604/25/2013

Boys, I can still play a hot tomato! I'm huge in South Korea! Text me. Keith, we are way overdue to be seen in public as a real couple. I know you read this horrible site. Have your lawyer call mine.

by Kill me nowreply 704/25/2013

Nicole, you're in luck: you're just the right type to play General Matilda Cartwright!

by Kill me nowreply 804/25/2013

by Kill me nowreply 904/25/2013

If it will help me build on my cameo in Anchorman 2, I'm there!

by Kill me nowreply 1004/25/2013

Can I be in this piece of crap? Rates are lower for the RIGHT offer.

by Kill me nowreply 1104/25/2013

they look great in vintage threads

by Kill me nowreply 1204/25/2013

and how much you want to bet anne hathaway is cast also.

by Kill me nowreply 1304/25/2013

[quote]and how much you want to bet anne hathaway is cast also.

I'm moving on from musicals. I don't want to repeat myself. (and please use capital letters r13.)

by Kill me nowreply 1404/25/2013

If Amy Adams can sing, she'd make a good Sarah Brown.

by Kill me nowreply 1504/25/2013

No one wants to pay money to see Guys and Dolls in a theater no matter who is in it.

by Kill me nowreply 1604/25/2013

Amy Adams is an excellent singer!

by Kill me nowreply 1704/25/2013

Patrick Swayze played it in London some years ago, before he died.

Channing's whole career is based on copying Marlon Brando.

But yes AnnE Hathaway HAS to be the salvation army girl as essayed by Jean Simmons. She has one big number "If I were a bell".

Kidman would be a good Miss Adelaide ...

but its not really a show I like, didnt even care for the movie.

by Kill me nowreply 1804/25/2013

Anna Faris IS Miss Adelaide

by Kill me nowreply 1904/25/2013

PLEASE make them pre-record their audio tracks!

by Kill me nowreply 2004/25/2013

Is Marlon cross-eyed too?

by Kill me nowreply 2104/25/2013

The show has some good songs and some fun parts, but I never cared for the nasal Adeline and the songs at the club. Nothing against the actresses, but I exaggerated nasal singing could be a bit much.

by Kill me nowreply 2204/25/2013

I'm sorry, but the fact they'd consider Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon Levitt for this is ridiculous. They're wrong, wrong,wrong. Nathan is supposed to be older and seedy. Remember the lyrics? Remember the whole premise of the relationship between Adelaide & Nathan? They have been "engaged" for years. So, no. Altho if the cast Channing as the seedy Nathan it might work.

And Matt Bomer would be the very best Sky Masterson. The very best. I have no problem with Amy Adams. She's wonderful in everything she does. I'd much rather have Amy than AnnE Hathaway. AnnE needs to take a long leave of absence. A lonnnnng one.

by Kill me nowreply 2304/25/2013

All That Chat must be having a field day with this.

by Kill me nowreply 2404/25/2013

Matt Bomer is milquetoast, and he has an awful vibrato

by Kill me nowreply 2504/25/2013

Aaw! But I want to see Channing Tatum with Jamie Bell!

(Although JGL is excellent).

by Kill me nowreply 2604/25/2013

I am inexplicably in every movie so I will also be in this one.

by Kill me nowreply 2704/25/2013

Is Miss Adelaide a real role? That's a town in Australia! This seems like destiny. Me, Channing, and Joseph on the marquee! I can shimmy in my whammy.

by Kill me nowreply 2804/25/2013

I can't think of a good Adelaide.

Fran Drescher? Jackie Hoffman? Meryl Streep?

Where are the young character actors of today???

by Kill me nowreply 2904/26/2013

[quote] And Matt Bomer would be the very best Sky Masterson.

Actually, Seth MacFarlane would be the very best Sky Masterson.

by Kill me nowreply 3004/26/2013

And I see Joseph Gordon-Levitt more as Nicely Nicely Johnson.

by Kill me nowreply 3104/26/2013

Christine Ebersole would be a good Miss Adelaide.

by Kill me nowreply 3204/26/2013

[quote] Christine Ebersole would be a good Miss Adelaide.

Hmmm..15 years ago maybe

by Kill me nowreply 3304/26/2013

Ana Gasteyer

by Kill me nowreply 3404/27/2013

r34, I think the producers want to get asses in the seats.

by Kill me nowreply 3504/28/2013

How to get asses in the seats, these days? Nobody under eighty has ever heard that odd NY patois, and nobody under forty knows that there was ever such a thing as Salvation Army Bands.

I don't think it'll ever get made.

by Kill me nowreply 3604/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!