Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pennsylvania Democrat Seeks Civil Unions For Gay Couples

Pennsylvania Democrat Seeks Civil Unions For Gay Couples

A Pennsylvania state representative has reintroduced a bill which seeks to recognize gay and lesbian couples with civil unions in the state.

Rep. Mark Cohen, a Democrat from Philadelphia, reintroduced his proposal last week. House Bill 708 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

“Civil unions represent the middle-of-the-road compromise position between constitutionally banning and permitting gay marriage and have been embraced by both advocates for LGBT rights and a growing number of conservatives,” Cohen told The Patriot-News.

“Nothing in this bill would require any religious or any clergyman to perform any ceremony uniting people in a civil union. This legislation will merely offer committed gay couples the same legal rights that are bestowed upon married people without the status of marriage,” he added. Cohen previously introduced civil unions legislation in 2010 and again last year.

“I intend to keep advocating this because I believe in the obvious fact that gays have rights to fundamental rights, and marriage is a fundamental right,” he said.

Six states currently offer the union: Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Delaware. Lawmakers in Illinois, Rhode Island and Delaware are considering moving to marriage. Colorado's law takes effect next month. New Jersey lawmakers approved a marriage law only to have it vetoed by Governor Chris Christie. Advocates hope to override Christie's veto.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013

Santorum could have a heart attack over this news.

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2013

Are women legally allowed to vote in Pennsylvania yet?

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2013

PA is been a blue state for quite some time r2. What's with the weird comment?

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2013

Only in PA could Democrats be so blatantly red.

I would say in Texas too, but I think they shot the last Democrat who tried to move there.

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2013

Pennsylvania should have done this a few years ago

The state is surrounded (to the east and north) by marriage equality

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2013

Civil Unions my ass. Try actual gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2013

Pittsburgh is a football town with a football for a brain. It utterly shocks me that Andy Warhol came (escaped) from such a place.

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2013

Pennsylvania? Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2013

"Civil Unions" in 2013? Gee, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 904/25/2013

[quote]Try actual gay marriage.

We just call it marriage, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1004/25/2013

Pennsylvania is a weird state. It's more a "purple" state than a blue one. Lots of social conservatives who vote for Democrats only because the unions are strong there. Very blue collar atmosphere there.

Civil unions would be a huge step for a state like PA. It would open the door for gay marriage to eventually happen down the line.

by Anonymousreply 1104/25/2013

I agree with R6.

If the Democratic party wants to act like pussies in Pennsylvania -- which the party has carried in every one of the last six presidential elections (and in which Republicans, even ones who carried the state, have underperformed national margins since the 1950s) -- then the party should just give up.

The Democratic party is acting, once again, like their on the bottom -- and they do that when they like to pretend they don't have muscle. This is this sixth most-populous state in the country, right after the president's home state of Illinois, and civil unions is the same as separate but equal.

by Anonymousreply 1204/25/2013

Pennsylvania may have its heart in the right place, BUT, civil unions?? Seriously?

In just a very short period of time, the notion of civil unions has become an anachronism. It's a quaint little idea that has turned to poison.

Thanks Pennsylvania, but no thanks. Civil unions are no compromise. We're going for equality.

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

Due east of PA is NJ. No marriage equality there.

Maryland, however...

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

I feel like people look at Pennsylvania and forget that while there is Pittsburgh in the West and Philly in the East there is a whole lot of red neck nothing in between.

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

Pennsylvania: There's Philadelphia to the east and Pittsburgh to the west. And a whole lot of Arkansas in between.

by Anonymousreply 1604/25/2013

i line in pa most of the democrats are not exactly the same democrats in massachusetts.

most of pa is red and more like west virginia

southeast pa is the most socially liberal place i believe.

by Anonymousreply 1704/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!