Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anne Hathaway To Make Broadway Debut As Sally Bowes In CABARET Opposite Alan Cumming

Get ready, Broadway—here comes Anne Hathaway! The Oscar-winning Les Miserables star will make her Broadway debut this fall in Cabaret, according to the U.K.’s Daily Mail. Hathaway will be joined by Broadway.com Audience Choice Award nominee Alan Cumming, who will reprise his Tony-winning role of the Emcee.

Hathaway will reportedly hit Broadway in September as cabaret performer Sally Bowles, the role made famous by Liza Minnelli in the 1972 film. Cabaret tunes are nothing new for Hathaway, who perhaps teased her debut with a concert of Cabaret songs at Joe’s Pub in Manhattan in October 2012.

Based on a book by Christopher Isherwood, Cabaret tells the story of a seedy nightclub in 1930’s Berlin where a young English performer strikes up a relationship with an American writer, all while a zealous Master of Ceremonies commands the action at the Kit Kat Klub. The original Broadway production opened in 1966 at the Broadhurst Theatre. The most recent Tony-winning revival in 1998 starred Cumming, Natasha Richardson and Ron Rifkin.

Hathaway won a 2012 Oscar for her role as Fantine in the film adaption of the musical Les Miserables. She appeared on the New York stage in the Public Theater’s production of Twelfth Night and in Encores! Carnival. Her other film credits include Rachel Getting Married, Brokeback Mountain, The Devil Wears Prada and The Princess Diaries. Hathaway was previously rumored to make her debut in Clive Davis' planned revival of My Fair Lady.

Cumming currently appears on Broadway in Macbeth. His other Broadway credits include The Threepenny Opera and Design for Living. His film and TV credits include The Good Wife, X2, Spice World, Josie and the Pussycats, Annie and The Anniversary Party.

by Miareply 4504/25/2013

Interesting - I've always thought she looked like a cross between Liza and Michael Jackson.

by Miareply 104/24/2013

bump

by Miareply 204/24/2013

Elaine Stritch will play Frau Schneider!

by Miareply 304/24/2013

Natasha Richardson must be spinning in her grave - how could you Alan !

by Miareply 404/24/2013

She has such depth and will bring new dimensions to the role. For example, we'll finally learn the correct spelling is SallyE.

by Miareply 504/24/2013

Anne, focusing intently on her EGOT.

by Miareply 604/24/2013

Alan and AnnE should swap roles. I'm serious. She's proved herself a worthy M.C. in the past:

by Miareply 704/24/2013

Supporting the argument that Sally isn't supposed to be a good singer.

by Miareply 804/24/2013

How unoriginal.

by Miareply 904/24/2013

Seriously, how could Alan Cumming do this? I guess because he's just a pathetic, fame-whore and that was his most well-respected moment.

This is embarrassing for Broadway. Creativity has effectively ground to a halt.

by Miareply 1004/24/2013

I'm ready to get a ticket for this production.

by Miareply 1104/24/2013

R10- it's one of the great musicals of all time- great story. I don't understand posts like your's even a little. So full of free flowing ridiculous anger- that is all I see.

by Miareply 1204/24/2013

I remember someone on dl mentioning Hathaway as Sally a few moths back.

by Miareply 1304/24/2013

Was that in the caterpillar phase, R13?

by Miareply 1404/24/2013

r10's point is that having a revival of this material already exemplifies Broadway's lack of creativity when it comes to new material--in this case, to the point where you even have people reprising their roles. No one's saying it's not a good show. You might have some better idea of the current creative poverty of commercial theater if you looked at the rate of revival for musicals back when Cabaret premiered--it was incredibly rare, because people were still doing vital work.

Don't be so quick to dismiss people as haters--they might just know more than you.

by Miareply 1504/24/2013

I loved the Mendes revival of Cabaret but agree that Cumming should move on.

by Miareply 1604/24/2013

Not true, says AnnE's rep

by Miareply 1704/24/2013

Good holy christ, is this show on an endless loop somewhere, like Chicago and Gypsy, with revival after revival after revival? There is NOTHING NEW on Broadway, anymore. We sure as hell don't need ANOTHER Cabaret for about twenty more years.

by Miareply 1804/24/2013

Will there be a part for a tuba player?

by Miareply 1904/24/2013

[quote]Will there be a part for a tuba player?

Step off, Karen.

by Miareply 2004/24/2013

I'd love to see Joel Grey as Herr Schultz.

by Miareply 2104/24/2013

Patti Lu, what do you need to play the tuba for? I heard that you've been in a secret lez affair with Sutton Foster. Isn't that enough drama to last a few years at least? You don't need to be in Cabaret.

by Miareply 2204/24/2013

Hey, better CABARET than the promised revival of LES MIZ. At least CABARET is a good show.

by Miareply 2304/24/2013

I am anxious to see Alan-by the time I got to NYC to see it, John Stamos was in the role-to his credit John played it the only way it would've worked with him, with a sort of a fun/eye-wink sort of decadence, I feel certain that Alan's emcee is quite a bit on the sinister side of decadence, which I think what the role calls for.

by Miareply 2404/24/2013

I'd rather see her tackle a musical version of Sterile Cuckoo or Junie Moon.

by Miareply 2504/24/2013

r22 doesn't get it.

by Miareply 2604/24/2013

They don't R15. I saw the original Cabaret. What you said and what that poster said are two entirely different things.

by Miareply 2704/24/2013

Oh god, we've all seen this in every way, shape and form. The only thing left is a Rocky Horror-style audience participation version.

by Miareply 2804/24/2013

Cumming IN -- Hathaway OUT.

by Miareply 2904/24/2013

I saw the Les Mis movie last night for the first time. It was alright, though I find CGI so distracting. Fortunately, "I Had a Dream" is so close-up CGIphobia is irrelevant. It was alright. I don't get the hatred you people have for her, but I also don't get why her performance was award-worthy.

I find the movie version so restrained compared to watching the play. I hardly cried at all, and I can't get through even the PBS 25th Anniversary without sobbing my eyes out.

Eddie Redmayne is utterly wonderful, as always. He's the only Marius who's ever made me with I were Cosette. Aaron Tveit doesn't get to have a non-serious moment, but I loved him, too. And there was an especially lovely student played by Alistair Brammer. I hope to see him again soon.

The best part, though, is one most people kind of went "Ehhh" over, Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean. How did he not win best actor? He was superlative.

by Miareply 3004/24/2013

[quote] Cumming IN

Cumming in..who?

by Miareply 3104/24/2013

[quote]Cumming in..who?

Don't look at me.

by Miareply 3204/24/2013

I can't believe this is still running.

by Miareply 3304/24/2013

Hathaway OUT, Gibson IN!

by Miareply 3404/24/2013

R34 is not serious.

by Miareply 3504/24/2013

Haters gonna hate, but it'll be the hottest ticket in town, and I personally can't wait to see it. Alan Cumming is EVERYTHING.

by Miareply 3604/24/2013

This show was the biggest moneymaker for Roundabout. They have talked about bringing it back for a few years. There were talks about producing this at the Sondheim, there new space after Birdie failed to work.

by Miareply 3704/24/2013

'I saw the Les Mis movie last night for the first time. It was alright, though I find CGI so distracting. Fortunately, "I Had a Dream" is so close-up '

Oh dear... I think you've gotten your musicals confused. 'I Had a Dream' is from the Martin Luther King musical.

by Miareply 3804/24/2013

She has a pretty good voice. She's too old for Sterile Cuckoo but she could do Junie Moon. I wonder how they'd work out the before and after the burns on stage. It would take a lot of make up for the after.

She made me tear up singing I Had a Dream in the film. She was able to show every second of torture in the character's life.

by Miareply 3904/24/2013

She'd be great it in, I hate to admit it. She's is a bit old, but on stage that wouldn't really matter. I actually love her voice. Everything else about her? Uh, no.

by Miareply 4004/24/2013

She'll be greeat!She was great in

by Miareply 4104/24/2013

Oh fuck. Why???

by Miareply 4204/24/2013

Good catch, R38.

by Miareply 4304/24/2013

No way. My people have issued a formal denial. I'm too big a star for something like that.

by Miareply 4404/24/2013

Thank you, R15, for telling that bitch off for me.

by Miareply 4504/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.